Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #2881
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Lord Athanar was a bit straightforward, if that expression is a correct one. I think he would act more decently and round-aboutedly with the other lords, but it seems he's just sick of this young show-off...

Let's see how it goes on.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #2882
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
There is the situation since Athanar's coming in a brief nutshell. Elempi, let me know if you'd like me to change anything for Falco, or add anything. It would have been a fun post to do with more reactions from Falco, but I didn't want to do any without you.

-- Foley
Old 01-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #2883
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Things are really moving around here! I finally have a post up for Leof - I didn't get as far as I wanted but I'm out of time for writing now so I guess I'll just post in two parts.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #2884
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Awesmoe, Firefoot! Glad you're around. I look forward to the second part of the post.

-- Foley
Old 01-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #2885
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I left the conversation open in the kitchen, in case you, Nogrod, wanted to have Stigend or Garstan answer or anything. If Kath were around, she could probably post something, too. Otherwise, let me know and Saeryn can talk again.

Also, Nogrod, I hope you don't mind, but I've taken up the old character, Raban - the man that Athanar gave the job of teaching Javan how to make chain mail. I don't intend to seriously play him, so you can write for him whenever you like, but I thought we could start that strand of the storyline, too.

-- Folwren
Old 01-11-2011, 05:00 AM   #2886
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
So Flithaf is still at Scarburg? Not at Minas Tirith? Huh. Good to know.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #2887
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Yes. And I just re-read that post and realize it is extraordinarily poorly written, so I'm going to go back and fix some of those fragment sentences sometime today. Gosh, that was bad. I must've been wiped out.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #2888
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
I left the conversation open in the kitchen, in case you, Nogrod, wanted to have Stigend or Garstan answer or anything.
I have no plans as yet, but I'll check it. Don't wait for it though if you have something on your mind.

Quote:
Also, Nogrod, I hope you don't mind, but I've taken up the old character, Raban - the man that Athanar gave the job of teaching Javan how to make chain mail. I don't intend to seriously play him, so you can write for him whenever you like, but I thought we could start that strand of the storyline, too.
On the contrary! It's great people pick up those almost forgotten lines of action and characters! We could keep Raban as a common NPC for now, and if you - or even someone else - starts to write a lot for him and starts to feel for him, then we can assign him for that someone?
Old 01-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #2889
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
On the contrary! It's great people pick up those almost forgotten lines of action and characters! We could keep Raban as a common NPC for now, and if you - or even someone else - starts to write a lot for him and starts to feel for him, then we can assign him for that someone?
Sounds good.

Piosenniel? I guess if you're around here you can add Raban to the character's list. He's an old man belonging to Athanar's household, who doesn't have an eye and an ear and I believe has the lower half of one leg missing, too. He's an NPC.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #2890
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
We could keep Raban as a common NPC for now, and if you - or even someone else - starts to write a lot for him and starts to feel for him, then we can assign him for that someone?
Grrrr.... you just know I'll probably end up with him, don't you?
Old 01-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #2891
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Grrrr.... you just know I'll probably end up with him, don't you?
That's if you can get him from me. Just kidding. It'd be more fun if Javan's tutor were played by someone other than myself. But it'll be good he's an NPC, so that if ever he has dialogue with any character, someone else can step in for him....

-- Folwren

P.S. I still do plan to re-vamp that post of last night....nothing of the essence shall be changed, just grammatical errors, so you can go ahead and reply for Harreld whenever you like. Elempi.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #2892
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Hey, Elempi, did you know that Faramund is the next character to post in the conversation with Athanar and Faramund (with Thornden, too)?
Old 01-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #2893
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

thanks for the heads up - I'd lost track.

Wow, never saw that post. Okay, I have two abuilding. Later today, I hope.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 01-12-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #2894
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Foley, it was hard to describe Harreld's mien properly, and I didn't altogether succeed. He is not meant to be in a rage that an innocent fears falling victim to; rather, he is tight of face, a fierce smoldering in the eyes which could be mistaken for anger, I suppose, but is directed inward; I suppose someone who doesn't know him might be cautious around him, though. Okay, I don't need you to change a thing.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #2895
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I'll look it over, anyway.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #2896
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

K....about the situation with the lords...I'm going to sit a while and wait for Nogrod to post, because even though I would like to have Thornden interrupt at this point, he could hardly do so decently. Plus, I don't think it would do any good, as Athanar wouldn't just sit by and allow it.

Elempi, if you want, when you write again for Harreld, you could have Raban go off and get Javan and save time. Also, tell me if you think it's alright that Raban has been able to detect that inward strife of Harreld's.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #2897
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

No problem with Raban's perceptions.

I have other commitments tonight. Harreld will firmly refuse not helping clean up.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #2898
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I'm continuing the situation at Faramund's quarters tomorrow...
Old 01-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #2899
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

No rush. I was at class this evening and will be at work tomorrow, so I wouldn't be able to post for a while anyway.

-- Folwren
Old 01-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #2900
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'm on a winter vacation this week. Posting may be spotty due to computer access issues. I'll try to get something done right now while I have the chance.

Foley, please do me a favor in regard to Harreld and Raban and include in your post something to the effect that Harreld agreed to Raban's proposal except that he insisted on doing his fair share of the labor.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #2901
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Okay, Elempi, I'll do that.

Fines would not be the traditional form of punishment for crimes like stealing, would it? It seems unlikely in a place like Rohan, doesn't it?

-- Foley
Old 01-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #2902
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

A good one lmp! (for Faramund, that is)

I'll post tomorrow (now it's like morning so I need to go to sleep).
Old 01-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #2903
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Okay, Elempi, I'll do that.

Fines would not be the traditional form of punishment for crimes like stealing, would it? It seems unlikely in a place like Rohan, doesn't it?

-- Foley
Good question. Fees would have been the most typical form of punishment. They didn't do imprisonment because it didn't make sense. Then you'd have to feed and guard the culprit. Make him pay double to seven times over the value of his theft, and you're ahead.

Fact is, Faramund is lying. He's charging well over seven times the value of thefts, and most of it's not thefts; rather, failure to pay fees they can't afford because the fees are up to ridiculous amounts. It's a no win situation for the freeholders/farmers, and they need justice. Faramund and the other lords are predators.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #2904
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Legate: Hilderinc has a mission now. Feel free to connect that with Coen, Quin & others or not.

Sorry lmp it took a few days to kick this a bit further. The girls will be here for the weekend so I probably will not read or post anything on Friday or Saturday, but on Sunday evening I might be able to join the fray again - if you rolled the ball back meanwhile.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #2905
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Haha. Good move on Athanar's part. Great post, Nogrod. Looking forward to seeing what comes of this.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #2906
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Count on Faramund wriggling as free as he can in whatever ways he can think of.

I couldn't help making something of all of Noggie's latinized English.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #2907
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
I couldn't help making something of all of Noggie's latinized English.
I hope you remember English is not a native tongue to me and I'm just not able to make those distinctions. Okay, I know some latin and can now see - when pointed - which words you might mean, but sadly I have no usable synonymes that would be "un-latinized"... In turn I had to check my dictionary to understand what a word like "ledger" meant - not to talk that my dictionary didn't actually tell me what it means when you say "in trist, prow seeding, dock you meant". I guess I have a vague idea, but I'm not sure what it means in the end...

So please lmp, remember I'm more or less illiterate as to finesses of english language and it's history...

And now I can see this feels like complaing of everything - even if it is not so as I do love you coming involved with this story again - but you make Faramund "know" Athanar sent Hilderinc to get Wiglaf back.

I tried to make it as clear as possible in my post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by me at the thread
Suddenly he turned back and called for Hilderinc who had still been standing at the door. He waved Hilderinc to bow towards him so that he could whisper to his ear without Faramund being able to hear what he said: "Go and find that man who was thrown out from this hall as we came here... and bring him here as soon as you find him."

Hilderinc nodded, bowed to both lord Athanar and lord Faramund, and left.
Faramund might have guessed what it was as to why Hilderinc was called and sent out for, but he couldn't just have heard it as a fact like he seems to take it in your post.

Anyway, I like this situation where something is happening.... I'll be back on Sunday or Monday the latest.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #2908
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Quote:
I hope you remember English is not a native tongue to me and I'm just not able to make those distinctions. Okay, I know some latin and can now see - when pointed - which words you might mean, but sadly I have no usable synonymes that would be "un-latinized"... In turn I had to check my dictionary to understand what a word like "ledger" meant - not to talk that my dictionary didn't actually tell me what it means when you say "in trist, prow seeding, dock you meant". I guess I have a vague idea, but I'm not sure what it means in the end...
Nog, if I'm interpreting him correctly, lmp's just punning around: "in trist" sounds like "interest," "prow seeding" sounds like "proceeding," and "dock you meant" sounds like "document." And all of the latter words do indeed have Latin as their base language, rather than Anglo-Saxon, whereas Faramund's approximations all come from Anglo-Saxon--except for "trist," so who knows where he picked that up.

I should add, too, that as a native English speaker who tries to be more tuned into matters like these, I still struggle to come up with "un-latinized" synonyms for a lot of the words that Wynflaed used--and that if I were posting on a board in a non-English language, I would struggle to have the same level of fluency in my writing that you have.

Last edited by Mnemosyne; 01-21-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #2909
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

lol....I still can't find un-latinized words. I don't know latin. I just guess at what words will work and what words don't, and then I'm not surprised when Elempi contacts me.

-- Foley
Old 01-22-2011, 04:03 AM   #2910
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
What was said - Elempi, I think you just have to excuse us if we don't write "properly". Let's face it, basically every second word in English comes from Latin, and us non-native speakers simply cannot always find an appropriate synonym. I mean, we try to avoid obvious anachronisms and for example myself, knowing Latin, can make a pretty good guess when some word has latin origins, but finding a synonym is much more difficult if not impossible (never heard about "ledger" before either). Aside from that, you'll need a major in linguistics to be able to discover the root of every word anyway. Sorry, I can understand that it breaks the immersion for you, but this is first of all about having fun writing, and if you expected so high standards from this RP, you might've just as well ended up with very few people to post.

Personally I tend to think of the story we are writing in the same way as Tolkien presented his: these are events that took place in Middle-Earth recounted by somebody else, a narrator who writes for the contemporary reader, trying to do his best to capture the feeling the Rohirrim gave in their original world. But the Rohirrim don't speak some old Anglo-Saxon languages, they speak Rohirric or Rohirric-modified Westron, but we, as the narrators, are the "translators" from the "Middle-Earth" language to our own, just like Tolkien was. Each one of us is a translator, and not all of the translators have the same capabilities. People like myself or Nog are simply not translating into our mothertongue. If we say something outright anachronistic or awkward, it is most welcome if you correct us. But a small and random thing like the use of the word "documents" is, by all means, not such a big deal, I'd say.

Anyway, as for the original reason why I wanted to post here I am quite busy nowadays, but I am definitely going to post for Hilderinc during this weekend, maybe already this evening, so I ask just for a little patience...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 01-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #2911
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
So here is my post... Foley and Firefoot, Quin and Léof may both interact and react on a first-come, first-serve basis I guess it can be made into a search for Wiglaf, if you want to take part in that, or whichever way you think... I, for one, have no idea where I should start looking for him (meaning really myself - no idea where he would be supposed to go), but anyway... you can make something up or just interact in some different way, or shrug it off completely...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 01-22-2011, 10:06 PM   #2912
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Please, please, please, I did not mean to offend. Sorry for having done so. I was just having fun, too. I don't expect those for whom English is a second or third language, to know what's latinate and what isn't. I'm always tempted to have fun with it. Do remember, that I offered to help anyone who asked. Only one person asked, moons ago.

Noggie, would you like me to remove Faramund's puns? Let me know.

As for Faramund knowing about Wiglaf, oops. I'll fix.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:22 AM   #2913
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Please, please, please, I did not mean to offend. Sorry for having done so. I was just having fun, too.
Noggie, would you like me to remove Faramund's puns? Let me know.
No offence, no problem. And no need to remove any puns now that I have an idea what it means...
Old 01-23-2011, 08:24 AM   #2914
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

At any rate, I shall desist from now on. And I am NOT going to point out possible alternatives to latinate English unless asked.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #2915
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Please, please, please, I did not mean to offend. Sorry for having done so. I was just having fun, too. I don't expect those for whom English is a second or third language, to know what's latinate and what isn't. I'm always tempted to have fun with it. Do remember, that I offered to help anyone who asked. Only one person asked, moons ago.
Quote:
At any rate, I shall desist from now on. And I am NOT going to point out possible alternatives to latinate English unless asked.
Hey, it was not a problem like that... from my point of view, I was thinking that it's more like a question of "godmodding" another person's writing of his or her character, actually. I think it's good that you've offered yourself to help us; if I write something while using too many latinised words, by all means point it out and offer me some alternatives. But I have been kind of thinking that if I wrote the same thing like Nog did and you then posted a following post interpretating it as if my character was speaking partly-Gondorian, I might be like "hey, but that's not what my character meant to sound like at all, he was supposed to sound normal!" Of course, most likely it won't matter (and probably in Athanar's case it didn't), but it could happen that it would. So just saying.

Anyway, let's not dwell on that and let's simply continue writing, I think that's what matters here.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #2916
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Legate & Nogrod, please accept my apology. I did not respond to your concerns with courtesy. I'll do better.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:54 PM   #2917
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I posted. Poorly, perhaps, but I posted perhaps enough to get the ball rolling again with Faramund.

You two gents need to start making friends or something...at least behave a little?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #2918
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Faramund has another door through which he leaves the room he's in. Thonden will wait as long as he wishes and then do whatever he likes. Writing this as a post on the main thread wouldn't really work, so I'm letting you know this way.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:45 PM   #2919
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

What! Are you avoiding play as much as Faramund? Goooood grief. Well, well, we'll see what can be done.

-- Foley
Old 01-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #2920
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

No. It just made sense to me not to post what Faramund was doing since the Scarburgers don't know.