Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #2841
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sounds good to me.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #2842
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yes, the boys can spot him, Nogrod. I'll put them in my post, too, if that's okay with you.

EDIT: I posted. Let me know if everything is okay. I feel like I'm domineering that page in the Mead Hall thread, so I'm retiring for a bit until some others have posted. *coughhintcough*

Last edited by Folwren; 12-24-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #2843
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Hint taken...

Well as soon as we get from this Christmas I'll be posting once again (I have holidays!!!). The last week has been just preparing and then celebrating Christmas...

But it's good we have these "two fronts" to write about so there should be something to do to each and everyone of us.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #2844
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I would post for Falco, but mine was the last post - for Harreld - and so I would prefer to wait for another to post. Perhaps Lhuna might like to post for Ginna in response to Modtryth? (broad hint)
Old 12-30-2010, 12:39 PM   #2845
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I have posted for Tancred. I hope he is as disgusting and unlikeable as I have been told he should be.

Maybe I'll post for Falco next. And if it just so happens that I have three posts in a row because nobody else is writing, who knows? Maybe it'll wind up being four in a row - or five, or six, who knows? But by all means, if someone else wants to post something, I'm eager to read and interact.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #2846
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
I have posted for Tancred. I hope he is as disgusting and unlikeable as I have been told he should be.

Maybe I'll post for Falco next. And if it just so happens that I have three posts in a row because nobody else is writing, who knows? Maybe it'll wind up being four in a row - or five, or six, who knows? But by all means, if someone else wants to post something, I'm eager to read and interact.
I already want to punch him in the face.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:19 PM   #2847
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I got something up, but I'm afraid it isn't much as I know as little about Falco as Wynflaed does.

Folwren, let me know if I got Javan and/or the facts wrong.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #2848
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Wynflaed's interest & curiosity is delightfully conveyed.

Question: is Falco coming to a holding with nobody running about, all off on errands to tell this or that person about his coming, or is there going to be someone to greet him?
Old 12-30-2010, 06:10 PM   #2849
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Question: is Falco coming to a holding with nobody running about, all off on errands to tell this or that person about his coming, or is there going to be someone to greet him?
In my estimation, that depends on how quickly he arrives!!

As for the hall itself, everyone except the soldiers is still here, doing their thing, so I think the chances of a random encounter are far higher than the hall being empty.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:41 PM   #2850
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Very good lmp! And that post feels to have taken a monkey off from my back! I mean I had real problems deciding how to go forwards but that makes it a lot easier.

Although it may be we're actually facing Faramund here and not Tancred... But I've PM'd lmp on that.

I have Lommy, Greenie & Legate over for the New Year but should be posting then... *getting nice ideas already*
Old 12-31-2010, 12:59 AM   #2851
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Lookin' good! Elempi, your character made me cringe, he was so horribly evil.

I'll try to post for Saeryn tomorrow (or should I say later today?). Your post looks fine, Mnemosyne.

-- Foley
Old 12-31-2010, 11:51 AM   #2852
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Although it may be we're actually facing Faramund here and not Tancred...
Oops. I'll fix him to be Faramund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne
In my estimation, that depends on how quickly he arrives!!

As for the hall itself, everyone except the soldiers is still here, doing their thing, so I think the chances of a random encounter are far higher than the hall being empty.
Okay, I figure if the children have seen him, he's there. I'll have him bump into somebody.

EDIT: Falco has bustled into the kitchen to get information from Frodides. If her writer is not available, I'd be happy to change the name so we can keep things moving....

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 12-31-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:15 PM   #2853
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I thought Fordides was an NPC. I still aim to get a post up sometime today, so I could get at least one of my characters into the kitchen, and possibly both Saeryn and Javan plus Wynflaed...

-- Foley
Old 12-31-2010, 03:38 PM   #2854
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
I thought Fordides was an NPC. I still aim to get a post up sometime today, so I could get at least one of my characters into the kitchen, and possibly both Saeryn and Javan plus Wynflaed...

-- Foley
I thought Kath was writing for Frodides. Anyway, I could probably string some dialogue up between Falco and Frodides until Saeryn shows up..... I'll go edit my post a bit....

EDIT: Okay, I hope that's as much fun to read as it was to write....

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 12-31-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:22 PM   #2855
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Ooooh, right. I'd forgotten. I hope Kath can come play sometime soon.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:01 AM   #2856
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Your turn again, Foley, unless Mnemosyne wishes to put in a word....
Old 01-01-2011, 11:35 AM   #2857
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Alrighty, I posted. I think just about anybody could post now...

Elempi and I have been talking. Before he wrote his post for the lord, we had all been talking and writing that we were riding first to Tancred's land. But as Elempi's post was more fitting with Faramund's character than Tancred's, he went ahead and changed to Faramund. That means, anyone who wrote in the game thread that we were going first to Tancred's holding needs to change it to Faramund. I know I did it at least once, so I'm going back now and checking all my posts and changing them.

I also wanted to mention to Lommy, if you haven't read it, there was a post put up by Mnemosyne that was a post written by both she and I not long ago, that you may want to read, as it has to do with Modtryth in an indirrect way. That is to say, it has to do with her, but Modtryth won't actually know about it.

I guess we can post about arriving at Faramund's hall now? Nogrod, Legate, Firefoot, Durelin, are you about and ready for this?

Hope you all have a happy New Years.

-- Folwren
Old 01-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #2858
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'm here and more or less able to post. Faramund seems... delightful. I haven't been exactly sure where to go from here, since I don't imagine Leof having a very central part in the proceedings, but I'll see what I can do.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #2859
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Yeah, I don't know if Leof would have anything immediate to do. He probably would be put in action as soon as they stopped and people started dismounting and stuff (he may be able to run up and grab Athanar's horse or something)...but I guess someone in the front line (Durelin, Nogrod, or myself) would be better set to describe the approach.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #2860
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

lmp: I have made lord Athanar's party to halt on the courtyard of Faramund. I left it with the hall's doors still closed in case you want to write for Faramund to take some time to deliberate about what to do and how to approach the visitors. If you think he would have rather just come forwards immediately I can change the ending into something like Faramund standing in front of the doors when the party halts.

Up to you.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #2861
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
lmp: I have made lord Athanar's party to halt on the courtyard of Faramund. I left it with the hall's doors still closed in case you want to write for Faramund to take some time to deliberate about what to do and how to approach the visitors. If you think he would have rather just come forwards immediately I can change the ending into something like Faramund standing in front of the doors when the party halts.

Up to you.
I think I'd like to do the deliberation. I should get time later today....
Old 01-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #2862
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I've posted for Faramund, with enough description of how Faramund's forces will display themselves for anyone who wants to post next. Of course, there's still action back at Scarburg with Falco and company that could also be developed.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #2863
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Great posting, guys. Keep it up...because I don't know when I'll next be able to.

Class time, gotta run.

-- Foley
Old 01-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #2864
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

There is clearly going to be an exchange of words at Faramund's yard... Anyone having a character at site are encouraged to write about their perceptions and feelings there - or anyone could come up with an NPC (or a new character of their own) just to enliven the situation.

But as to the exchange between Faramund and Athanar we should probably make some planning lmp? It seems our "active times" are more or less half a day apart (when you post it's normally night here and when I can post it's basically morning or afternoon there). So how about we made some PM's and tried to come up with a discussion between the two?

You probably know more of Athanar and his objectives than I know of Faramund's so maybe you could send me a suggestion first as to how Faramund would act or what would be his agenda, what kind of lines he would make? I could then answer you with how Athanar would react to different points and so on. We could have a post up in a few days by that method?

One thing for you to think as well lmp is that Faramund might quess lord Athanar might wish also to see his father (whom he knows); how would he handle that? Lord Athanar wouldn't probably press on that or disregard Faramund's lordship (the official discussion would be between him and Faramund), but in the end he would insist in meeting the father as well, if not for any other reason but because of their comraderie at war - which I think is kind of a sacred thing in Rohanian society...
Old 01-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #2865
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I had the impression that Faramund's father must be dead for him to carry on in the manner in which he does. His fa ther did not attend the other landlords when they all went Scarburg. His name was mentioned, but he was not one of the lords there.

I don't know when I'll get a chance to post for Thornden (or anyone else for that matter). Possibly tomorrow afternoon/evening.

-- Foley
Old 01-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #2866
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

It's a bit of a conundrum I hadn't really considered..... why would father let son get away with this horrible stuff? Well then, why would father give up his lordship to his son at all if he's still hale? I guess that leads me to the conclusion that father must be sickly and/or not well in some way. That he would still have an opinion suggests that the sickness is of the body and not the mind. And it might also limit Faramund's ability, let alone his desire, to have Athanar see his father. What's the guy's name?

I'm okay with a PM. On the other hand, there's a certain degree to which neither Athanar nor Faramund know each other well enough to be able to determine how things would go, and so I rather like the idea of doing individual posts to see what surprises might be in store. Frankly, I don't think I know how Faramund will behave until I write the post! What do you say?

This is all suggestion, nothing written in stone.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #2867
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

lmp - and others - I found this from the actual thread. It's from an interlude kind of post where things are readied for Eodwine to be written out (so the "he" in the story is Eodwine).

I think that gives the general background to the three lords.

Quote:
On September the 27th he wrote a letter to be sent to the three most remarkable landlords around.

He knew Tancred son of Ewald well. He had been a captain in the same force lord Eodwine had served himself in the Pelennor Fields and even before it. He was a great soldier, a shrewd tactician and a trustee of the late king Theoden. But that trust was earned during the days of Theoden’s misery. Lord Eodwine didn’t like him. He actually feared him but stood calm. He would have to meet that man and wrestle the king’s authority over him however he would react to this kind of approach. And he was about ten years older than lord Eodwine. Forcing Tancred to subdue to him would be a challenge.

He knew Alboin son of Oswine as well. He was not of a stature Tancred was, but he was an intelligent and a stern lord. Lord Eodwine didn’t actually love Alboin either as he thought he was a coward but he knew some praised his courage. Maybe it was more a matter of personal relations?

He didn’t know Faramund son of Friduhelm that well but he had known his father well enough. They had fought side by side in the Pelennor fields and he both admired and loved the old man. And he still lived. But he had given the rule over his estates to his son Faramund Eodwine knew almost nothing about; but that he was very young, twenty something… If Friduhelm would come he would have an ally in the meeting, Eodwine thought writing the letters. And if not, he could always appeal to Faramund to prove worth of his father…
Now you hit a good question as to how the old Friduhelm would let his son do what he does. A serious illness (or serious old age problems) might be a good solution. That would explain both why he gave his steership over and why he is not able to exert any authority to his son.

I'm okay with both ways to approach the dialogue. I understand completely how things just happen only when you start writing and that is fun - but it is also possible you come up with an idea you feel insecure as to whether the other one would like the idea pushed on his character. So let's see how it goes when one of us gets down into writing. I might have time tomorrow but if you have time earlier, please go on.

Nice post Legate. Anyone else wiling to share the situation there?
Old 01-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #2868
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Nice post Legate. Anyone else wiling to share the situation there?
Oh, I wouldn't miss it for the world. I'll get a post up shortly.
Quote:
lmp - and others - I found this from the actual thread. It's from an interlude kind of post where things are readied for Eodwine to be written out (so the "he" in the story is Eodwine).
Great to have that cleared up.

If I can stick in my two cents worth, which may not be worth taking since I don't write either character, I'd say write the dialogue as individual posts. If you post frequently, you'll get more done in the amount of time it would take to write a PM post. Plus, others, such as Legate and myself, will be able to write side posts, or possibly interruptions, that will make this whole scenerio more interesting.

Okay, off to write that post...

-- Foley
Old 01-06-2011, 03:21 AM   #2869
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'm so sorry for my disappearance! I have no idea why, but I had tried to log in here all Christmas break and ALWAYS failed. And then suddenly now the Downs stops rejecting me. Please give me some time (read: indefinite length) to catch up.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #2870
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
I'm okay with both ways to approach the dialogue. I understand completely how things just happen only when you start writing and that is fun - but it is also possible you come up with an idea you feel insecure as to whether the other one would like the idea pushed on his character. So let's see how it goes when one of us gets down into writing. I might have time tomorrow but if you have time earlier, please go on.
I'm all about "sin first and ask forgiveness later" when it comes to collaborative writing, precisely because I'm more than happy to change any of my posts if I get another's character wrong. I like Foley's thought on it too. It keeps writers 'in the game'.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #2871
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Old graybeard, is it? Interesting. Wiglaf has aged years in between just a couple posts. Faramund's powers of destruction must really be something else!

Old graybeard's fine with me as I didn't name an age, though I was thinking of someone not quite so .... um ..... gray.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #2872
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

I posted for Athanar and Faramund. Let me know lmp if I made Faramund too much a loser in there. Half of me says that I did, and half of me says that was just what he is...
Old 01-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #2873
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Haha...whoops...when I read your post, Elempi, I had the impression he was old-ish. I can alter it if you like. (Ha! I didn't apologize. How do you like that?)

Welcome back, Lhuna.

-- Foley
Old 01-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #2874
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Haha...whoops...when I read your post, Elempi, I had the impression he was old-ish. I can alter it if you like. (Ha! I didn't apologize. How do you like that?-- Foley
Kudos for not apologizing. Don't change a thing. Wiglaf being old only makes Faramund look worse.

There probably will need to be some changes, Noggie - I'll need to look some more.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 01-07-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #2875
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Okay. I've posted on both "fronts"...

Quote:
There probably will need to be some changes, Noggie - I'll need to look some more.
Just let me know about them...
Old 01-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #2876
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Faramund was struggling with an answer when Athanar continued.
This seems a bit doltish. How about the following?

Quote:
Athanar watched a smirk form on Faramund's mouth as he opened it to begin some retort. He chose to cut him off before he began.
Or some such...

And this needs to change also:

Quote:
Faramund seemed to be somewhat lost in the beginning, but as he spelled the words he got more comfortable.
... perhaps to this....

Quote:
Faramund seemed to be stalling, trying to find a way to save face.
Essentially, Faramund is not an idiot or fool or dolt. He is a rebellious, arrogant, ungrateful son of a good lord, clever but prone to interpret what others do and say in a completely self-centered fashion. Make sense?
Old 01-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #2877
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

That makes very much sense lmp. And heh, reminds me too well of the fact that I'm writing in a foreign language... I mean, I can see what you say and why you suggest the changes, but I hadn't thought of those connotations... or maybe some of them, but hadn't any other means of expressing them as I wished, just for the lack of living vocabulary.

Anyway, I've made the changes you suggest - and will try to post shortly before going to sleep.

Btw. this "honeymoon" of writing at this hour will be over shortly as my vacation ends on Monday and I can't be around at this time of the day any more as I will have early morning calls. I'll try to keep up the good pace, but the times I'll be able to write will be different from Monday on - three to five hours earlier from this post will be the latest I can be online.

But I think we have this thing live and kicking once again, so that should be no problem...
Old 01-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #2878
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Btw. this "honeymoon" of writing at this hour will be over shortly as my vacation ends on Monday and I can't be around at this time of the day any more as I will have early morning calls.
Bummer. I'm loving it, though I can't join in myself. I will soon, I promise! It's wonderful reading your guys' stuff!!!

-- Foley
Old 01-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #2879
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
He turned to lord Eodwine and apologised.

I think you mean lord Athanar.....
Old 01-07-2011, 10:10 PM   #2880
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Heh... "I'm sorry lord, just too many things depending on one head..."

Corrected...