Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-26-2008, 08:29 PM   #1241
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Has Nogrod disappeared? I am dying to see how the quarterstaff fight goes and who beats whom between Erbrand and Thornden and whether or not one or the other loses his temper....and all that fun stuff.
Seconded!
Old 12-27-2008, 11:36 AM   #1242
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I've not disappeared but even we non-belivers celebrate Christmas / Yule with our families and relatives...

I'm going to try and write the next one today - I have indeed made the randomization already so I only need to turn that piece of data into a narrative. Sorry about the slowness but sometimes RL takes precedence.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:56 PM   #1243
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yes, I figured Christmas had bogged everyone down, but I'd been waiting so long that my patience ran out and I decided to give it a slight nudge.

I am glad to hear that you think you'll be able to write something soon.

-- Foley
Old 12-28-2008, 09:38 AM   #1244
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'll post something today or tomorrow...
Old 12-28-2008, 04:09 PM   #1245
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Sorry it took time but I have been trying to tidy up in my place as Legate is coming to a visit...

And like normally, please let me know if I have used your characters in a way you think does not seem fit. I have only followed my instincts about them - and the randomiser... I'll be happy to change anything you think should be changed.

But as it went I think it leaves nice open possibilities for Thornden and Erbrand to either reconciliate or to go on continuing the row - as you wish.

The final will be between Eodwine and Thornden against their veteran captains. It will be up here tomorrow (in 24 hours).
Old 12-28-2008, 04:39 PM   #1246
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

lmp you gave a hard one as I think many of the writers are either engaged with the QS fights or not in a position to go on questioning strangers... Cnebba would have loved to go on asking but he has a role in looking at the flags at the fights so I then decided to make Stigend approach the old man.

So feel free to write and use Stigend as you wish, or PM me if you have any special ideas... or maybe we should build a post together for it? Depending on what you have in mind. I will be around the next day or two before Legate comes so feel free to PM me about any possible ideas / conversation...
Old 12-28-2008, 06:06 PM   #1247
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Great posts, Nogrod! I'm glad Elempie's old fellow is finally engaged in conversation!

The fighting was great. I've posted, Groin, as you see, to engage in conversation to see just where Erbrand is right now. You may continue the row, as Noggy puts it, if you wish.

Cheers!

-- Ellie
Old 12-29-2008, 06:55 AM   #1248
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Alright, Kath, now you have to come up with a reason for Frodides not to have paid proper attention to the stranger...
Old 12-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #1249
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Um ... because her writer skim read the post and didn't realise her character could have had a nice chat? Guess not.

I'll have a think and get back to you with a reply tomorrow hopefully.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:31 PM   #1250
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Nice fighting Nogrod, though I am sad that my character lost. I'm looking forward to the final fight.

Quote:
The fighting was great. I've posted, Groin, as you see, to engage in conversation to see just where Erbrand is right now. You may continue the row, as Noggy puts it, if you wish.
Hmmm... I don't know yet. I'll get my post up right now.

EDIT: I thought that since the fight had just ended and his temper is at it's height that Erbrand would refuse Thornden's offer of help. Sorry Folwren, but perhaps it will make for some interesting events later on.

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 12-29-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #1251
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I like it that Frodides was "inattentive". It plays well with the kind of 'wares' this old man trades in. So Frodides need not explain anymore than that she barely noticed the man.

You'll see what I mean with the next post, perhaps.

By the way, now that Rowenna is no longer the villainess of Scarburg, I give much credit to Groin for making Erbrand, shall we say, "difficult to get along with". Funny, I would have expected that role more for Crabannan, but Groin certainly is writing his character most consistently. Well done, Groin!
Old 12-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #1252
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
By the way, now that Rowenna is no longer the villainess of Scarburg, I give much credit to Groin for making Erbrand, shall we say, "difficult to get along with". Funny, I would have expected that role more for Crabannan, but Groin certainly is writing his character most consistently. Well done, Groin!
I'm flattered LMP! Perhaps Rowenna could give Erbrand some pointers on how to be a villain. I never imagined that my character would be the meany of the group, but to be honest it's quite fun!
Old 12-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #1253
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Nice to see things moving...

I got totally blocked with the fight and then jammed in front of the TV as they showed Blade Runner there. Luckily I peeked in before going to sleep. I have now set the final match on and Stigend has answered the old man. I'll try to come up with the actual fight tomorrow.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:31 AM   #1254
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
By the way, now that Rowenna is no longer the villainess of Scarburg...
I'll certainly miss her being that.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:27 AM   #1255
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
I'll certainly miss her being that.
Rowenna can still not get along with Ginna....
Old 12-30-2008, 07:38 AM   #1256
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Rowenna can still not get along with Ginna....
True. But I think at this point Ginna wouldn't really care much.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #1257
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Done at last!

I'll think twice before I promise to write two this kind of games in a row with many individual matches in both...

I hope you're satisfied with my decision that lord Eodwine offers Lithor a draw in the end lmp. At that point it just felt to me like something Eodwine would do, that would actually fit his character (at least my feel of him). I'll make them fight it to the end if you wish.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:59 PM   #1258
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Nicely turned tale, Noggie!

Eodwine is a bit disappointed that his right hand man Thornden did not win the quarterstaffs, as no doubt he would had he not come to the rescue of his lord.

Think i'll have Eodwine say that to him at some point....
Old 12-30-2008, 08:28 PM   #1259
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Oh, it was so close! Very well written, Nogrod! I enjoyed every bout!

I hope Eodwine's not TOO disappointed with Thornden. He was, after all, a little preoccupied.

So...not to seem like I'm rushing it or anything, but I am still anxious and excited about Ginna's dad coming back...are the sword fights next?

-- Foley
Old 12-30-2008, 08:38 PM   #1260
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

K, I'm dragging this forward, althought there's anything worth dragging here. Gwathy, it's your turn! Oooh, wait...did I promise never to call you that again? Sorry.

Sword fight Crabannan, Dan, Eodwine, Degas, Garstan, Stigend, Aethelstan, Erbrand, Balvir, Matrim, Ginna--> GWATHAGOR

Dancing

Riddles Dan, Eodwine, Javan, Degas, Wilcred
Old 12-31-2008, 09:06 AM   #1261
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

*Snicker!* I've posted up for Eodwine.

Noggie, let me know if I should change any words I've put in the mouth of Stigend. I've also given you opportunity to have Stigend protest that Eodwine is too trusting or generous, or what have you ... if you want to go that route. Or not - let me know and I can change the end of my post.

So now you know, Groin! Not a fighter .... exactly. Rather, a wizard. And if any of you wish to object that there were only five Istari, that may very well be, but I insist upon creative license that there cannot be only 5 wizards in all of middle earth - no one said they all have to be angels from Valinor. Some could be extremely long-lived old men who have come across their abilities in ways that are possible in middle earth.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:10 AM   #1262
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Stigend is okay by me. He should be something like that; insecure, not knowing what to do / say or how to act etc. That is conveyed nicely in your post - although there is this, I'm not sure how people at that world would have phrased it...
Quote:
"It ain't natural!"
I mean something being "natural" kind of requires the division between natural and un- or supernatural only our scientific culture has brought forwards. But yeah, what could it be then? Odd, weird, confusing...?

And Stigend would not protest to an authority, even less to an authority he admires...

So a wizard then... well I thought of that and made my last post accordingly but in a way that was vague enough that if I was wrong it could have been explained just by Stigend being confused. Interesting!

If I'm not able to write a short post leading the stranger to Thornden before you Foley, you should feel free to take that as granted (and if you wish, to write a line or two for Stigend bringing him to Thornden).

I mean Legate is visiting us and now also Aganzir and couple of other Lommy's friends (+ Greenie of course) are here to celebrate the new year and I have first some catering - and then some partying - to do with them.

Happy new year everyone!
Old 12-31-2008, 06:24 PM   #1263
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
... although there is this, I'm not sure how people at that world would have phrased it...
Quote:
It ain't natural!
I mean something being "natural" kind of requires the division between natural and un- or supernatural only our scientific culture has brought forwards. But yeah, what could it be then? Odd, weird, confusing...?
That's right out of LoR - when Sam is caught by Gandalf eavesdropping, and Sam says, "Please don't turn me into anything unnatural!" ... or something like that? So I was playing on that.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:59 AM   #1264
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
That's right out of LoR - when Sam is caught by Gandalf eavesdropping, and Sam says, "Please don't turn me into anything unnatural!" ...
Ah, you're right... so it's the prof's problem then.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:04 PM   #1265
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Ah, you're right... so it's the prof's problem then.
Well know... don't be so hasty to give in there, Master Nogrod. For a philosopher, you're most un-Entishly hasty to give up a point. One could argue, after all, that the Shire and Rohan have very different ways of looking at the world, and while Sam might use the word "unnatural" in such a sense, there's no reason to assume the same of Stigend.

Of course, since I can't help arguing both sides of the issue, it seems to me only fair to support Elempi, and point out that by having Stigend use it, from a reader's perspective the parallel to Sam and Gandalf is made immediately more apparent (and, indeed, when this topic came up here, my first thought was of Sam).

Old 01-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #1266
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I've adjusted my latest post to show Stigend accepting Eodwine's decision. I would appreciate someone else posting so that I don't double post (champing at the bit).
Old 01-02-2009, 05:50 PM   #1267
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I posted for you, Elempi - now you won't have to double post.

If I put any false words into anyone's mouth, just let me know. I thought that Eodwemer's answer was like him, though. I could be wrong.

-- Folwren
Old 01-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #1268
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

All right, the post I've been trying to get to is now up. With a twist. Enjoy.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:30 PM   #1269
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Aww, my own little Saeryn all grown up and not emotionally broken any more...

She appears so much healthier under Foley's charge...

I'll have to ponder this idea another time, and avoid the conclusion that Foley is more emotionally stable than I am.

*watches excitedly*
Old 01-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #1270
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Aww, my own little Saeryn all grown up and not emotionally broken any more...

She appears so much healthier under Foley's charge...

I'll have to ponder this idea another time, and avoid the conclusion that Foley is more emotionally stable than I am.

*watches excitedly*
Hah! Nothing of the sort. Messed up is more interesting to write. Right?
Old 01-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #1271
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

lol! I really have no idea what you two were expecting, or what else she could have said at such a moment, but whatever the case is, I've posted. I hope no one is expecting.

-- Foley

(What WERE you thinking of? Her being embarrassed and running off and not knowing what to answer?)
Old 01-03-2009, 05:50 PM   #1272
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
I hope no one is expecting.

Well, I'd bet Saeryn will be pretty soon.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:18 PM   #1273
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Actually, Foley, it crossed my mind that you might have Saeryn say that yes, she would marry, but not tonight. But it's better this way. More Eorling, I hope to think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Well, I'd bet Saeryn will be (expecting) pretty soon.
Good one Gwath!

Foley, I must request that you add the following in between the whispered words and her pulling away.

Quote:
For sheer joy Eodwine hed her tight and spun her around in the air, careless of the formalities of court. And just as careless of said social ordinances, he set her on her feet, drew her face toward his, and kissed her on the lips.

"You know I love you!" he cried.

The crowd whooped and applauded.
Thanks in advance.

But now the order of events for the remainder of the day must be revised, as follows:

Sword fight Crabannan, Dan, Eodwine, Degas, Garstan, Stigend, Aethelstan, Erbrand, Balvir, Matrim, Ginna--> GWATHAGOR

Wedding

Feast

Dancing

Riddles Dan, Eodwine, Javan, Degas, Wilcred

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 01-03-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #1274
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Well, I'd bet Saeryn will be pretty soon.
That was actually a typo. I don't even know what I meant to say. Makes me wonder if I wrote something wrong in my post. *scratches head*

Anyway...Elempi, I'll make those changes.

Is Randver's coming going to change anything? Knock stuff off its track? I'm still thinking about that, as you can see.

-- Foley
Old 01-03-2009, 11:03 PM   #1275
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Haha, thanks for your continued expectation (and I don't mean anything like what Gwath said ), Foley. I think the only people who will be affected by Randvér's arrival are Ginna and Harreld. Good thing Harreld didn't think of following Eodwine's move, or that will make things more complicated.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #1276
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
Haha, thanks for your continued expectation (and I don't mean anything like what Gwath said ), Foley. I think the only people who will be affected by Randvér's arrival are Ginna and Harreld. Good thing Harreld didn't think of following Eodwine's move, or that will make things more complicated.
Who's to say it's not on his mind?
Old 01-04-2009, 10:18 AM   #1277
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Who's to say it's not on his mind?
I don't think he will act on the idea so soon, though.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:43 AM   #1278
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

My oh my, Foley, now you've gone and done it. How will Rowenna respond? How does she think the other women will react? Her writer must give this some thought.....
Old 01-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #1279
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

This is getting brilliant. I think I'll post someday this week since I'm back roaming these barrows... if you Kath haven't written by then, I will take the liberty of responding for Frodides along the lines Elempi suggested.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #1280
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Go for it Lommy, I haven't got Frodides in my head at the moment for some reason and I'd love to see what you do with her.