Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #1041
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Lhuna, I hope you can find time and creative juice enough soon to write that post with Randver coming back. Will it not be a very interesting meeting? Will he approve of Ginna's attraction to Harreld? Will she tell him about it? Will Harreld approach him and ask if he can marry Ginna? Oh, the possibilities!
Yes, not to mention all the excitement it will cause for the other characters! We get to be judgmental of the situation!
Old 11-16-2008, 07:48 AM   #1042
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
I would never think of acting as a stumbling block to your obedience, Elempi, but I am going to need you for this. I can never write for Harreld by myself.
I'll write Harreld for this Day, and now that the other rpg that I'm still in has apparently started up again, well, let's just say, we'll see about beyond that.

As for getting Randvér to Scarburg, that seems simple enough, even without a summons from Eodwine: word spreads like wildfire when there's news to tell, and surely it is news that the Eorl of the new Middle Emnet has moved from Edoras to Scarburg. Rand will surely be curious and want to visit, both to see what is happening for his friend Eodwine, as well as how his daughter is doing.

By the way, when I had Crabannan and Harreld in that momentary deadlock, I decided that I didn't care who won, and so I simply rolled the dice three times for each: once for strength, once for dexterity, and once for endurance. Crabannan's roll for dexterity was the only one that failed. I wrote accordingly, and suggested as much through Harreld saying there was luck involved.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:33 AM   #1043
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Next up

Next is either Firefoot's dagger throwing competition, or Nogrod's sack fight. Whoever gets the post up first. Let's keep it going.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:33 AM   #1044
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't wait for the dance and riddles. So let's open it up for the rest of these competitions. Whoever wants to write one, go ahead and do it, and let's not worry about who's turn it is.

In about one week, we will move to the dance and riddle stage of this prolonged Day, and if there are any games that have not been written by then, they will be summarized.

Please let's keep this going.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:14 PM   #1045
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
It might take me some time, but I'll get the archery contest up as soon as possible.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:33 AM   #1046
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Yikes, it's been a while...

Sorry all, I've been frightfully busy and have no idea what's going on in the RPG right now... nor am I sure when I'll be able to write the dagger-throwing post... Owie. But I'll try.

But it looks like we've got Rowenna, Eodwine, Harreld, Saeryn, Scyld, Wilcred, and Matrim entered. What are you all thinking about your characters' strengths in this contest? Anyone particularly good at this skill?

This is Scyld's forte; he's not particularly skilled at any other physical activity but he's got a serious edge on the competition here.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:12 PM   #1047
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The archery game is up! Sorry about it being so long at the end, I kept getting doubles with my dice!
Old 11-19-2008, 04:54 PM   #1048
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Groin, that was a most entertaining post.... .except that Eodwine didn't win after all.

For daggers:

Rowenna is going to be more adept at dagger throwing than expected. Write that how you like.

Eodwine will be average.

Harreld will be pretty good at it since he has excellent hand-eye coordination and has to use it all the time. His only problem will be to focus down his rather great strength to something as fine as a dagger.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 11-19-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:37 PM   #1049
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think Saeryn is pretty much average, but she tends to surprise me sometimes, so she may be better than just 'average'. I doubt it, but you call the shots.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:30 AM   #1050
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
I think Saeryn is pretty much average, but she tends to surprise me sometimes, so she may be better than just 'average'. I doubt it, but you call the shots.
She keeps surprising Eodwine too.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:45 PM   #1051
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Here's what's left. Anybody who wants to jump in with their competition, please do so.

Dagger-throwing Rowenna, Eodwine, Harreld, Saeryn, Scyld, Wilcred, Matrim--> FIREFOOT

Sack-fight Harreld, Erbrand, Dan, Javan, Cnebba, Garmund, Stigend, Kara--> NOGROD

Quarterstaff-fight Erbrand, Crabannan, Stigend, Dan, Eodwine, Harreld, Thornden, Garstan, Osmund, Aethelstan, Balvir--> NOGROD

Sword fight Crabannan, Dan, Eodwine, Degas, Garstan, Stigend, Aethelstan, Erbrand, Balvir, Matrim--> GWATHAGOR

Dancing

Riddles Dan, Eodwine, Javan, Degas, Wilcred

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 11-21-2008 at 05:32 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #1052
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I just got a chance to read the archery contest. It was well done, Groin! I was a little disappointed with Javan missing the target at first, but I can't complain with Thornden doing so well, can I?

I hope to post in the near future. That means...Sunday, hopefully...because tomorrow and Saturday are looking full for me.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:19 AM   #1053
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Fea, Eodwine has dropped a bit of a bomb in Degas' lap, so to speak. Please read and write at your earliest convenience.....
Old 11-22-2008, 04:24 PM   #1054
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I've been rushed with pretty much RL stuff and a heck of a WW-game (by Fea, so you know what it means... ).

But I have peeked in every now and then. This goes nicely even if slowly.

So I'm on after Firefoot - with two games...

Just inform me about your characters agility, balance, strength & cunning for the sack fight - and whether they are used to the qurterstaff or are especially good or bad with it.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:14 AM   #1055
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
The dagger throwing post is mostly written - should be up tomorrow.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:23 AM   #1056
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sorry I've disappeared from the face of the Downs, loves, but the internet connection in my boarding house is not working. I'll take advantage of the fact that I have a lab report to hand over near the end of the week, and sneak in writing an RPG post while doing that.

Does anyone else think it seems too easy if I have Randvér run into Eodwine and Degas as they finish their conversation or something like that? Right now I really can't think of anything more...creative. *sigh*
Old 11-23-2008, 06:59 AM   #1057
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Does anyone else think it seems too easy if I have Randvér run into Eodwine and Degas as they finish their conversation or something like that? Right now I really can't think of anything more...creative. *sigh*
I think that would be just right.

I was kind of wondering if shaggydog might want to have his character drop in on Eodwine and Degas too, but now I wonder if shaggydog is even with us anymore?

As to you WW'ers, it would be considerate if you guys would let the rest of us know when you have a WW game going, as it would help explain the sudden deadness here. No doubt Fea's PM box is too full to yell "hey you, you made a commitment to this thing!"

I'm tempted to just can the rest of the games since you WW'rs have made it plain by your uncommunicative absence that you have other things you'd rather be doing.

So it's six of you. No wonder.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 11-23-2008 at 07:03 AM.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:33 AM   #1058
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
you WW'rs have made it plain by your uncommunicative absence that you have other things you'd rather be doing.
Sorry people, I should have made a notice earlier... But had it been only WW I would have had a lot of time to post in here as well. Sadly the last few weeks have been such that I have left home to work early mornings and come back mostly late in the evenings and still finding out that I need to do this and that thing for work. And writing stories demands both creativity & a fresh mind - both things I have really felt lacking lately...

But it looks much better now. And it's snowing outside!
Old 11-23-2008, 02:55 PM   #1059
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I admit I've not been follwoing this thread too closely lately. It's just that school has kept me busy and all my 'downs time has been taken by the megalomaniac ww game and getting me & Groin's little RPG started. I should have plenty of time to concentrate on this RPG next week, though. Meanwhile, have a look at the weird dream of mine I had about this RPG. Interesting, isn't it?
Old 11-23-2008, 04:20 PM   #1060
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Meanwhile, have a look at the weird dream of mine I had about this RPG. Interesting, isn't it?
I was actually thinking of suggesting to you all that you jump at least 6 months if not a year. Such a character as Branwen might be quite interesting. As to the Merisu with the tear, I haven't a clue as to what that might mean.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:02 PM   #1061
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Heh. I second all that Elempi says about WW....
Old 11-24-2008, 06:51 AM   #1062
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
I think that would be just right.
No, I actually got a better idea. I would need the sword fighting event for that, though. Because I feel like sharing, please check your PM box, Elempi.

(Or no, actually there's no need for that. I'm sure you'll get to read my PM before you even read this post. )

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 11-24-2008 at 07:00 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:06 AM   #1063
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
(Or no, actually there's no need for that. I'm sure you'll get to read my PM before you even read this post. )
Hah! You were right. Go for it; should be quite .... er..... fun
Old 11-24-2008, 11:13 AM   #1064
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Elempi, I have read your post, but I do not know how to respond. I do not know what a fair arrangement might consist of, and for the next few days, my internet is mind-numbingly slow, so the idea of spending hours of page-loading time trying to find a simple answer to Eodwine's question is rather daunting. If you can wait until, say, Friday, it shouldn't take me more than an hour. Or if somebody knows off the top of their head what a good response would be, that could work as well.

As a side note, the only person I attempted to bribe and berate into playing this Werewolf game politely declined. I don't make anybody devote their time to my projects.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #1065
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well done on the Dagger-throwing Firefoot. This will make your character, Scyld, stand out more in Scarburg.

Nogrod, for the sack-fight, I think that Erbrand will fair quite badly in it. He's tall and not too flexible, his sense of balance would be completely destroyed due to his height. For the quarterstaff, Erbrand would not have used one for fighting purposes, though I'm sure he could grasp the concept very fast, especially if he watched someone fight first.

I'm really anxious for Erbrand to go up against Crabannan in either the sword fight or the quarterstaff. If you wouldn't mind, Nogrod, I'd like Erbrand to face Crabannan off in the quarterstaff, seeing as Erbrand would have a better chance with that weapon.

On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being extremely weak and 10 being exceptionally strong, I'll rate the abilities that you wanted: strength= 8, agility= 4; balance= 5.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #1066
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
I'm really anxious for Erbrand to go up against Crabannan in either the sword fight or the quarterstaff. If you wouldn't mind, Nogrod, I'd like Erbrand to face Crabannan off in the quarterstaff
You just got yourself a deal (and Gwath as well - unless he protests mightily). I had pondered whether I should make just a full lottery for "who meets who" but that I think settles it for you guys. Any other favourites?

Also I'd like to hear more about the sack-fight as well; Harreld, Dan, Javan, Kara?

I should have ample time on the few days to come so I might start writing and maybe posting the sack-fight on let's say thursday (if that isn't too rushed that is). But I'd like to have a few points about the participators before I start doing it.

And as you are with it, just give the points on their quarterstaff-abilities as well - and how you anticipate them to fare in that.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:15 PM   #1067
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
You just got yourself a deal (and Gwath as well - unless he protests mightily).
Bring it on.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:20 PM   #1068
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Exactly what stats would you like, Nogrod, for the quarterstaff fight?
Old 11-24-2008, 03:20 PM   #1069
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Bring it on.
That's the spirit!

Any "values" like Groin offered for my dices, or do I decide on them myself? It's your chance to affect the outcome now...

Gah, X'd with Gwath...

Yeah, the sack-fight is the harder (more factors in it) one I suppose...
Old 11-24-2008, 03:30 PM   #1070
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

For Crabannan:
Agility=7
Balance=6
Strength=7
Cunning=7
Old 11-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #1071
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being extremely weak and 10 being exceptionally strong, I'll rate the abilities that you wanted: strength= 8, agility= 4; balance= 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwath
For Crabannan:
Agility=7
Balance=6
Strength=7
Cunning=7
So you got to pick the later?

Anyway, if you don't feel like it I don't need as exact numbers from all of you - some guidelines would help though; like Dan is extremely clumsy but powerful and obstinate or Javan is agile but not so powerful... or whatever you think...

I'll make some believable "scores" for our NPC -soldiers making them believably good but not downright easy winners... and the dices will then roll.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #1072
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
So you got to pick the later?
Yeees. If they seem inordinately high, I ought to point out that fighting is what Crabannan does best by nature and by nurture.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #1073
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Ok, Nogrod.

Which event/s do you need it for?
Old 11-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #1074
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Ok, Nogrod.

Which event/s do you need it for?
Well, the sack-fight is first and the quarterstaff-fight will follow...
Old 11-24-2008, 09:15 PM   #1075
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Fea, I'll have to get back to you on Eodwine's question for Degas. I did some research before I wrote the post, but it's late.

Harreld in the sack fight: strength 9, agility 7, balance, 4

Harreld in the quarterstaff fight: str 9, agility 7, stamina 6

Is that enough info?
Old 11-24-2008, 09:22 PM   #1076
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I guess stamina stats would be a good idea.

Crabannan:
Stamina=7
Strength=7
Agility=7
Balance=6
Cunning=7
Old 11-25-2008, 09:21 AM   #1077
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Kara in the sack fight:
Strength 3 - there's some there from hefting things about but not much.
Agility 7 - she's light on her feet and used to dodging around things in the kitchen.
Balance 7 - again pretty fair.

Maybe you should put her up against Erbrand, Nog, see how he reacts.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:37 PM   #1078
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Mean, Kath, really mean.

Yes, Noggie, please do.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:40 PM   #1079
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
I think that he'll faint if anything. That would be cruel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwath
Bring it on.
Thanks for accepting Gwathagor. You are going down now!

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 11-25-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:29 PM   #1080
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Well, I haven't time now to decide ANYTHING for my characters, but I wanted to plead that you not continue with the events quite yet...until I get a chance to catch up.

Sorry I've been so scarce lately - life has been hectic of late. I am home tomorrow and have hope of being able to post.

-- Foley