Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-12-2008, 05:07 PM   #961
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sorry that took so long. I think it took about 2 hours to write and throw dice to figure it all out. I didn't let it go entirely randomly - gave Erbrand and Kara "+3" for the last three paragraphs or so... Hope you like it.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:08 PM   #962
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
It's wonderful, Elempi! You had me laughing out loud the entire way!
Old 10-14-2008, 07:57 AM   #963
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Groin, I hope it's ok with you what I wrote about Lithor.
That's what he's there for! I"m glad to see that everyone is once again active in writing, I loved all the new posts. I'll be back tomorrow to do some writing for Erbrand, and also to give out some reps.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:40 AM   #964
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I just posted something for Kara, so if you want to continue on from that Groin? If you want me to change anything I had Erbrand say just let me know.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:28 PM   #965
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Great job with all the races Elempi, you really are a true Bard.

Here's a list on what still needs to be done, what games should we do next?

NEWLY UPDATED LIST:

1. Task-path Rowenna, Eodwine, Harreld, Dan, Javan, Saeryn, Erbrand --> GRÓIN

2. Stone Throwing Garmund, Cnebba, Harreld, Erbrand, Wilcred, Balvir, Matrim --> LOMMY

3. Spear Throwing Erbrand, Crabannan, Stigend, Dan, Harreld, Thornden, Osmund, Aethelstan, Balvir--> _________

4. Dagger-throwing Rowenna, Eodwine, Harreld, Saeryn, Scyld, Wilcred, Matrim--> FIREFOOT

5. Wrestling Crabannan, Dan, Harreld, Garstan, Stigend, Aethelstan, Osmund--> ELEMPI

6. Sack-fight Harreld, Erbrand, Dan, Javan, Cnebba, Garmund, Stigend, Kara--> NOGROD

7. Archery Erbrand, Crabannan, Garmund, Cnebba, Dan, Eodwine,Javan, Thornden, Wilcred, Balvir, Matrim --> GRÓIN

8. Quarterstaff-fight Erbrand, Crabannan, Stigend, Dan, Eodwine, Harreld, Thornden, Garstan, Osmund, Aethelstan, Balvir-->

9. Sword fight Crabannan, Dan, Eodwine, Degas, Garstan, Stigend, Aethelstan, Erbrand, Balvir, Matrim--> GWATHAGOR

10. Dancing

11. Riddles Dan, Eodwine, Javan, Degas, Wilcred
Old 10-16-2008, 07:26 PM   #966
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Let's just handle them in order. Groin, go ahead and write the task path when you're ready.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:23 PM   #967
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Let's just handle them in order. Groin, go ahead and write the task path when you're ready.
Very well, I will write something tomorrow then.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:57 PM   #968
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Very well, I will write something tomorrow then.
My apologies about that. My school and work have gone hectic at the same time and been trying to juggle both at the same time these last two days. I won't promise anything, in fear that I'll break it, but I'll get my post up as soon as possible.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:47 PM   #969
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Great race, Groin! And of course, I don't mind seeing one of my characters win. I'll write something for Rowenna etc. in the next little while. Time is running out tonight though.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:43 AM   #970
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thanks LMP, but I'm certain that it could have been better if I had spent more time at it. It felt as if I was rushing too fast through the entire thing, I'll spend more time on the narrating the Archery contest.

I'll get something up for Erbrand soon. Lommy, it looks like you're going to have to post soon: you are in charge of narrating the next contest!
Old 10-22-2008, 11:50 AM   #971
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
I'll get something up for Erbrand soon. Lommy, it looks like you're going to have to post soon: you are in charge of narrating the next contest!
Eek, and thanks for reminding me. I think I could manage to do something on Friday.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #972
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Sorry, must get ready for writers' group - this must wait until after Thursday night.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:59 PM   #973
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ooooh, that was a really good race, Groin. It would have been hard on Saeryn, what with her recently hurt side, so I'm really going to have to post soon...it's about time, too, I got back into the game.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:24 PM   #974
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Sorry but I have as well been just overpowered by the real-life. But looking at this - even with a short glance - looks well indeed as to what little has been written. I'm going to catch up very soon... hopefully tomorrow.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #975
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'm not sorry for not posting yesterday, because I figured I would let you guys do a few posts in between. But I'm sorry for not informing you of my change of plans... I will write soonish.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #976
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
I will write soonish.
How familiar... in every sense of the word!

But it's the next game. So we're waiting...

Anyway. Who's going to write the spear throwing?

Looking at the latest list by Groin I think there is at least one missing thing as I promised to write the quarterstaff-fight and now there is no one to write it in the list. It is still my intention to write that one.

So is it the same thing with spear throwing - that the writer has just been forgotten - or are we facing a real problem with no one going to write it?

If we have a problem I might give it a try as my scheduals seem to be a bit easier for the coming week or two *knocks on wood and crosses fingers*. But as I will have two games to write in total I'd be happy to see someone else doing it so that as many people as possible could write these games.

But as I said I can do it if no one else wishes to do it.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:28 PM   #977
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I'll do the stone-throwing tomorrow.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:15 AM   #978
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I've written half of my post now and I will finish it later today... but I'm just wondering... Erbrand is 28 and Harreld is 35, but how old is Matrim? Is he older than the two, or some age in between, or even younger than Erbrand?
Old 10-27-2008, 06:10 AM   #979
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Not meaning to insinuate shoddy healthcare under Eodwine's watch, of course...
Old 10-27-2008, 08:22 PM   #980
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
I've written half of my post now and I will finish it later today... but I'm just wondering... Erbrand is 28 and Harreld is 35, but how old is Matrim? Is he older than the two, or some age in between, or even younger than Erbrand?
If I remember rightly, Matrim is in his late 20s. Balvir is over 40.

There is one thing about the games and celebration day that is making me chafe a little: lack of character posts. There's only one person at a time writing the game posts - the rest of us could have our characters interact a bit. How about it?
Old 10-28-2008, 12:31 AM   #981
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
There is one thing about the games and celebration day that is making me chafe a little: lack of character posts. There's only one person at a time writing the game posts - the rest of us could have our characters interact a bit. How about it?
I hope you don't mind if I make a humble attempt. And I hope Kath's game for it, too. Watching Harreld and Erbrand try to beat each other from finishing last is simply too hard to resist.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:03 AM   #982
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I'm going to post the next event soon, but if/as LMP wants Harreld to reply to Ginna, he may write his post and pio or Lhuna may attach that to Lhuna's post (unless LMP want to write in retrospect), I think that's wiser than that I should wait for him to post...
Old 10-28-2008, 09:26 AM   #983
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
I'm going to post the next event soon, but if/as LMP wants Harreld to reply to Ginna, he may write his post and pio or Lhuna may attach that to Lhuna's post (unless LMP want to write in retrospect), I think that's wiser than that I should wait for him to post...
That's fine. Turns out people were already getting into the posting I was asking for (I usually read the discussions before the actual thread).

Edit: Lhuna, welcome back! I'm almost as happy as Harreld (I get to write for him in a more interesting way now). Great post, too.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 10-28-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:06 PM   #984
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Posted. Sorry for the length... But writing that was great fun.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:26 PM   #985
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Wow. I didn't realize that throwing rocks could be so interesting.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:49 PM   #986
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Posted. Sorry for the length... But writing that was great fun.
I enjoyed it being so long, somehow I'm sad that it wasn't longer.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:35 PM   #987
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Edit: Lhuna, welcome back! I'm almost as happy as Harreld (I get to write for him in a more interesting way now). Great post, too.
Thanks, Elempi! It's wonderful to be able to post again. I missed giggling over Ginna and Harreld's antics.

That was a very enjoyable post, Lommy! I loved the last sentence, that was funny.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #988
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Yay Lhuna's back! Sorry I missed this flurry of activity, I forgot to tell anyone I was going away! Anyway no worries about using Kara, Lhuna, I thought it was hilarious.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:49 PM   #989
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Yay, welcome back Lhuna. I missed that old dialog of Harreld and Ginna, hopefully that has returned as well.

I'll get something up for Erbrand soon!
Old 10-30-2008, 04:33 AM   #990
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Spear Throwing

There is as of yet no volunteer to write spear throwing. If anyone would like to take it, please do so. If there are no takers by the end of today, I'll do it first chance I get.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #991
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I corrected the list (added myself to the quarterstaff-fight as it was empty and I thought we agreed on me writing it).

I might be able to write the spear throwing as well if no one thinks that writing three events is too much for one person (I still have two to come). But if you lmp have alredy some ideas on it please go forwards with it.

We might also share it, like I write the initial stages of the spear throwing and you lmp write the final moments - or vice versa? Though in that case we should decide together what the form of the competition would be...

Spear Throwing Erbrand, Crabannan, Stigend, Dan, Harreld, Thornden, Osmund, Aethelstan, Balvir--> _________

Dagger-throwing Rowenna, Eodwine, Harreld, Saeryn, Scyld, Wilcred, Matrim--> FIREFOOT

Wrestling Crabannan, Dan, Harreld, Garstan, Stigend, Aethelstan, Osmund--> ELEMPI

Sack-fight Harreld, Erbrand, Dan, Javan, Cnebba, Garmund, Stigend, Kara--> NOGROD

Archery Erbrand, Crabannan, Garmund, Cnebba, Dan, Eodwine,Javan, Thornden, Wilcred, Balvir, Matrim --> GRÓIN

Quarterstaff-fight Erbrand, Crabannan, Stigend, Dan, Eodwine, Harreld, Thornden, Garstan, Osmund, Aethelstan, Balvir--> NOGROD

Sword fight Crabannan, Dan, Eodwine, Degas, Garstan, Stigend, Aethelstan, Erbrand, Balvir, Matrim--> GWATHAGOR

Dancing

Riddles Dan, Eodwine, Javan, Degas, Wilcred

The pebble-throwing wasn't too long Lommy! It was great fun!

Form: I'll write an answer but then I need to take Stigend out of the situation as he will be attending the next game... and really his son performed well... Sorry. I was too busy the last days and the game moved forwards much quicker I anticipated... But we'll make that discussion another day.

Last edited by Nogrod; 10-30-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:49 AM   #992
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Btw. I see there are 11 participants in the quarterstaff-fight. Could we get one more? I can always use the NPC's but it would be more fun if one more actual character is involved.

Any volunteers?

Also, if you think you have something to say about your characters skills in either the sack-fight (requires agility, balance and eye for the situation more than strength) or the quarterstaff-fight I'd like to hear that. I'm going to resolve the outcomes with dices but I will use some light multipliers in accordance with the presumed skills of the participants.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:59 AM   #993
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Feel free to include Degas. He'd be good at quarterstaffs. His strength, however, would be more in agility than in brute force, so whether or not he'd win would depend on the size and speed of his opponent: if somebody stronger than him gets in a good shot, it'll slow Degas down.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:16 PM   #994
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Shall we make the spear throwing competition a matter of distance, accuracy, or a mix of both?
Old 10-30-2008, 07:29 PM   #995
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

At our weekly tournament at camp this summer, Tommy, the one in charge of the javelin throwing, had both distance and accuracy. What he did was, each of us got three javelins, I think - either three or five - and we got to throw them as far as we could. And then, after that, we got three javelins again and we had to throw at a target that was marked on the ground. So there were two rounds, one for distance and one for accuracy.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:10 AM   #996
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Spear throwing

Okay, we'll do 2 competitions, one for distance and one for accuracy.

Here are the contestants: Erbrand, Crabannan, Stigend, Dan, Harreld, Thornden, Osmund, Aethelstan, Balvir, Degas

I have ideas about these various characters already. Erbrand has good hand/eye coordination or he wouldn't be a trapper. Same goes for Stigend in carpentry. Harreld too as a smith. The rest excepting Dan can lay claim to marksmanship. So much for accuracy. As for distance, Erbrand and Harreld are no doubt the two strongest in camp, and will be favored.

If you have anything you want to add or revise in regard to this, let me know soon. I'll be writing this tonight or tomorrow morning.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:04 AM   #997
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

It looks good lmp.

It would be easy to see the rest (apart from Erbrand and Harreld) having relatively similar strength so they would stand on about the same footing before the dice is rolled.

Go on with it lmp. I try to write something for the meeting of Náin, Garstan and Stigend soonish.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:27 AM   #998
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:

I have ideas about these various characters already. Erbrand has good hand/eye coordination or he wouldn't be a trapper. Same goes for Stigend in carpentry. Harreld too as a smith. The rest excepting Dan can lay claim to marksmanship. So much for accuracy. As for distance, Erbrand and Harreld are no doubt the two strongest in camp, and will be favored.
You forgot to mention that Crabannan is JUST PLAIN AWESOME with weapons of all kinds!!! When it comes to fighting, he is the boss.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:44 PM   #999
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
You forgot to mention that Crabannan is JUST PLAIN AWESOME with weapons of all kinds!!! When it comes to fighting, he is the boss.
Yes, you have to take in the experience of the individual players. Erbrand is unfamiliar with a spear, and while it might not take much to get the gist of things, he would certainly be at a disadvantage with the more experienced people like Thornden or Crabannan.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:22 PM   #1000
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Crabannan is JUST PLAIN AWESOME with weapons of all kinds!!! When it comes to fighting, he is the boss.
I think Thornden would be as well... like lord Eodwine... and maybe some of the NPC-soldiers as well...

Adding my two cents to the relative status of people attending: Stigend would not be too bad as he has been in the military for a couple of years in his youth and sure knows how to throw a spear, but neither is he an expert on it as it was a long time ago.