Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2008, 07:02 AM   #921
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Noggie, is Garmund the leader between he and Cnebba, being older?
Does one have leaders in three-legged races?

Well if there is to be a leader then Garmund it is. Also Stigend would insist Garstan is the leader in their pair as he is both older and lived longer in the MH. Garstan would naturally argue back that Stigend should be the leader as he has been left with the responsibility of all the buildingwork while Eodwine is away... But finally S has two points and G only one...
Old 10-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #922
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Will lunch be a big scene - a sort of banquet?

-except it would make more sense to have a big celebratory meal after everybody's done running around.

Or will lunch be a sort of a 'and then we ate' and then moving on?
The latter.

To Noggie: it's a rare thing when there isn't a leader and a follower even between only 2 people.

Is this thread going to die when I'm not here anymore? I should hope not, but indications are....
Old 10-06-2008, 09:50 AM   #923
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Kath and I have been working on a joint post together. We should be getting it up within the next day or so.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #924
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Is this thread going to die when I'm not here anymore? I should hope not, but indications are....
No... I think at least I will feel more of an obligation to post... but now it runs so smoothly without me that if I'm busy I can get away with not posting...
Old 10-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #925
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
I've been wanting to simply take a quiet lead, except I know I'm not sticking around. For that reason, I don't want to become needed in any way.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:24 PM   #926
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I've been wanting to simply take a quiet lead, except I know I'm not sticking around. For that reason, I don't want to become needed in any way.
Oh, do it, do it, do it! Even if you will have to step out of that lead very soon.

And Elempi, I am sorry I have not posted. I HOPE this thread doesn't just die off when you leave. I haven't been meaning NOT to post - in fact, I have been meaning to post.

*sigh* When I have time and brilliancy I'll write.

-- Foley
Old 10-07-2008, 10:56 AM   #927
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Oh, do it, do it, do it! Even if you will have to step out of that lead very soon.
*hesitates*

I'll take the lead, but only conditionally.

Mostly, the condition is that I be more like an adviser than a boss.

See, the thing with collaborative writing is, multiple people are doing it. Which means that everybody has a say.

This can be either crippling or exhilarating, depending on which way it goes.

I frequently see it become crippling, because everybody (particularly 'new' or inexperienced writers, or those who don't feel like they've been around long enough to have an opinion) is worried that it's not really their story, that they're just contributing, and what if they write something nobody likes, and what if their writing utterly ruins the story!?!?

Solution?

O
M
G

I love editing.

I think everyone should love editing. Editing is what happens when you realize that you wrote a really spectacular four part poem about a crossword puzzle, except for some reason part three is actually about salmon fishing, so you strike a few things out, make it a three part poem that doesn't involve salmon fishing, and tuck the 'deleted' part aside to maybe use later.

My point? Write!

Write, write, write, write, write.

Don't just read everybody else's work and say, "They're so much better than me, I don't want to ruin it..." or "They've been doing this longer, so they must know what they're doing..."

You can't learn to play an instrument brilliantly by listening to somebody else's symphony. You've got to pick it up, hit some dreadfully wrong notes, tune it, practice controlling the speed and strength of your breath (forgive the specification here, I play woodwinds)... Learning scales can help if for no other reason than because it teaches you to hit the note right every time. Play songs you don't think you're good enough to play. Play the tough pieces, because yeah: you're probably going to massacre them, but once you go back to the 'easier' stuff, it's so much easier. Play it even though you don't know the notes: get what you can and ask for somebody to show you the right fingerings. But you must play!

So here's the deal: I'll take the lead so Elempi can bow out quietly as he's been meaning to do as long as nobody asks permission or hesitates to post or move on with the plot.

Just write it already! We can fill in blank spots later, and we can edit if there's a problem.

If you want advice on your writing before it goes on the story thread, post it up on the discussion thread and ask for a critique. Everybody is welcome to participate. What are you worried about? What are you trying to do? Do you think it's working? Once you've got it polished, cut and paste and move on to the next post.

No hesitation, kids. Just write and like it.

K?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #928
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Erm, Fea ... that's FrodidEs - with an E.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:28 PM   #929
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Woah. I didn't realize that in encouraging you I was creating an easier way out for Elempi. Not that I've really been devising to keep him here longer.

No fear, though, Fea. Just as soon as I have time, I assure you, I'll write something.

-- Foley
Old 10-07-2008, 02:47 PM   #930
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Erm, Fea ... that's FrodidEs - with an E.
I'll get right on that.

Quote:
I didn't realize that in encouraging you I was creating an easier way out for Elempi.
I'd certainly like him to stay around... but I'd rather have him want to stick around than feel obligated to do so.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #931
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
If Eodwine weren't such a main character, I'd suggest that, for the sake of consistency, lmp kill him off.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:58 PM   #932
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
If Eodwine weren't such a main character, I'd suggest that, for the sake of consistency, lmp kill him off.
I'm afraid he's going to write him off after the games as he has already told us that lord Eodwine is going to an errand to the Golden Hall - and I'm afraid it's up to us to decide whether someone will write him coming back from there.

Well, at least that's the feeling I get from his posts and I hope I'm wrong, but...

I try to sneak in a post for the kids... if Lommy doesn't want to do it? I have a host of essays to read for the few days to come and Lommy said she would like to post something, so please go ahead if you wish. I'll do it if you say no.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:00 PM   #933
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I try to sneak in a post for the kids... if Lommy doesn't want to do it? I have a host of essays to read for the few days to come and Lommy said she would like to post something, so please go ahead if you wish. I'll do it if you say no.
I could do it - although, you have to tell me first what did you have in mind in general about it...
Old 10-07-2008, 03:01 PM   #934
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I could do it - although, you have to tell me first what did you have in mind in general about it...
Consider it done...
Old 10-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #935
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yay! I'm back!

That was miserable.

Hee hee. It's funny that you would speculate that I intend to kill of Eodwine. I suggested something like it to Fea and Foley but was roundly denounced as a macabre tyrant. Or something like that.

Anyway, after this Day of celebration, my time here is done. Except for a certain Tapestry story that is currently on hold but not done.

So as I find time I'll throw together a three-legged race.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:16 PM   #936
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
I suggested something like it to Fea and Foley but was roundly denounced as a macabre tyrant. Or something like that.
My mental response was a lot along the lines of: "Oh no you don't! Not after all the effort it took to finally get him and Saeryn together! There needs to be a PREGNANCY and BABIES and HAPPILY EVER AFTER after all that work we put in!" and my written response was more like "Um... I'll need to think about that..."

Anyway, I intend to write out Degas after the day's festivities as well. Decisively, but open-endedly. He'll head to the Folde to do some cleanup work for an indefinite period of time. He can then come and go as I please.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:31 PM   #937
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Babies?? I, for one, think we could do with more WEAPONS.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:09 PM   #938
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Babies?? I, for one, think we could do with more WEAPONS.
Hmm... is it possible to include both?
Old 10-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #939
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

This, Groin, is why God created both men AND women.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:02 AM   #940
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Weapons? Why on earth would you want weapons when babies are the other option?

And you notice how Fea said 'a' pregnancy and then 'babies' That clearly means that Saeryn will bear twins. Identicle twins, to make it more interesting...

Yes, when Elempi dared to whisper his idea about killing Eodwine (not to mention a couple others), I, for one (I've no idea what Fea said), protested loudly.

In all seriousness now - I thought that somebody was going to take over Eodwine's character? Was I incorrect in this impression?
Old 10-08-2008, 09:39 AM   #941
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
In all seriousness now - I thought that somebody was going to take over Eodwine's character? Was I incorrect in this impression?
I certainly hope so, it would be a shame to have LMP's wonderful characters die off so quickly.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:38 PM   #942
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
It's funny that you would speculate that I intend to kill of Eodwine. I suggested something like it to Fea and Foley but was roundly denounced as a macabre tyrant. Or something like that.
I see that my attempt at humor struck all too near the grim truth. Like the fellow who made a joke about cancer only to discover there was a cancer patient in the room, I will now trail off into an awkward...embarassed...silence...
Old 10-08-2008, 02:54 PM   #943
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
And you notice how Fea said 'a' pregnancy and then 'babies' That clearly means that Saeryn will bear twins. Identicle twins, to make it more interesting...
Well there's certainly precedence, what with Saeryn and Degas being twins... Just imagine, two absolutely innocent and adorable itty bitty strawberry-blond bundles of dramatic tension-- er, I mean love. Bundles of love.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:58 PM   #944
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I believe Noggie was going to take over Eodwine. Rowenna is going to accompany Degas to the Folde, and will be given back her lands, which will probably be a source of income for her while she serves as a lady in waiting for Linduial. Anyway... twins!?!? Heck, why not? But I'll be gone by then and will not have to endure the little screaming devils.

By the way, sorry to throw a wrench into Degas' plans for the race, but I fear Lithor has a point....
Old 10-08-2008, 09:16 PM   #945
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
By the way, sorry to throw a wrench into Degas' plans for the race, but I fear Lithor has a point....
Oh certainly. I wouldn't want them to lose due to such a thing, and was rather hoping it would be noted and commented upon. She can have a leg loose, of course, but who wants to make things easy the first time?

Some of the best writing advice I ever got was something like, "If it gets boring, kill off a major character."

Okay, so I hate killing off major characters. But the point of the advice centers around the necessity for tension (which can be big, like death, or little, like a mis-tied rope) and the fact that sometimes one of your characters has just gotta take one for the team in order for the story to succeed. A dramatic plot that's fun to read and write has events followed by consequences which in turn spawn more events.

Seriously, I love writing the middle section of stories. It's ending things that's hard for me... I can never seem to leave well enough alone...

Anyway... procrastinating on a midterm paper...
Old 10-08-2008, 10:42 PM   #946
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I'm all for conflict, particularly if it entails WEAPONS and FIGHTING.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:19 AM   #947
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
I'm all for conflict, particularly if it entails WEAPONS and FIGHTING.
And babies?
Old 10-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #948
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
I believe Noggie was going to take over Eodwine.
That was the plan and I think I'm ready for it when the time comes but we should probably discuss it here as well. I mean there are sides to this coin.

When lmp leaves I'm going to host this Mead Hall with Lommy - and with a more concentrated effort I can promise you as now I have merely enjoyed lmp's lead before it's our turn.

So you woud have an active lord Eodwine there when he finally comes back. But I also understand that lord Eodwine has been so tightly identified with lmp that it might feel a bit strange for some people if he were to be written by someone else. One thing: people tend to get over with new things during time. Another thing: it wil not be the same anyway.

But there is also the problem that if something happens to lord Eodwine the Mead Hall needs a new lord - being a personal position given to Eodwine from king Eomer it is questionable at least whether there would be a Mead Hall under someone else in the first place. But if there is - and why not because we wish to write this - it would be natural the lord would be written by me or Lommy as hosts of this thread but then again do we wish to have a new one sent from Edoras? Thornden might be a possibility but is his standing high enough to the king? Anyone else now residing in the MH coming to mind to fill the shoes of lord Eodwine if needs be? (My personal opinion: either Eodwine comes back, king Eomer appoints a new one or Thornden takes it over... but I'm open to arguments other than these as well)
Old 10-09-2008, 12:08 PM   #949
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

It's a fair question, Nog. No matter how well you know another person's character, you never really do feel that they're yours, or that you're getting it just right. I would prefer that Eodwine remain the lord or the hall with or without a few minor character glitches (assume he fell off the horse on his way to Edoras and is forevermore afflicted with the occasional personality change? ), as the hall has traded hands so many times in recent game-time history that it's starting to seem a little unbelievable that some emissary of the king hasn't shown up to ask why people have been dropping like flies. Of course it's always an option for Eodwine to delegate responsibilities to his people, thereby being a permanent fixture without being directly responsible for day to day things. That way he'd still be lord of the mead hall, but wouldn't necessarily need to be in the spotlight all the time.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #950
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Of course it's always an option for Eodwine to delegate responsibilities to his people, thereby being a permanent fixture without being directly responsible for day to day things. That way he'd still be lord of the mead hall, but wouldn't necessarily need to be in the spotlight all the time.
That is indeed a good idea - and also one that might add for the general suspense in the game. How about lord Eodwine comes back a bit changed and more or less retires to his quarters? I mean not too openly to make everyone just talk about him from dawn to dusk but in a way leaving more and more of the responsibilities to others... and it would only gradually be realised he has changed (a year, a half a year RL or something as while things are rolling smoothly)? And I might come up with a nice raison d'etrę for that with lmp before he goes.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #951
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Eodwine could be an NPC. But he's probably far too much fun to write for.

Or, we could just narrow the focus of our posts so that they deal less with events surrounding Eodwine and more in depth with the activities of our other characters. That way, Eodwine need not become a recluse or take on any less responsibility (though he might do that regardless, I don't know) as much as simply have less screen-time. His involvement would be more assumed and discussed second-hand than depicted by the writers.

Last edited by Gwathagor; 10-09-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:43 PM   #952
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
The post I've just put up was the joint one written by Groin (and my but I nearly called you Erbrand then! ) and myself. Groin, I added a paragraph or two on the end just to catch us up with events, hope that's ok.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #953
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Looks great Kath, thanks for adding that bit at the end!
Old 10-09-2008, 07:27 PM   #954
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Regarding Eodwine after I'm gone, don't feel you have to relegate him to the sidelines for fear of messing him up somehow. Make him yours! So what if he's a little different, or a lot different under your "pen" compared to the way I write? It really doesn't matter, so long as you enjoy the experience. So whatever you decide to do, don't worry about it, have fun with it, and Eodwine becomes what you make of him. Besides, he's probably going to be better written by you since you, Noggie, have experienced fatherhood, somethiing I have not had the priviledge of having done.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #955
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Besides, he's probably going to be better written by you since you, Noggie, have experienced fatherhood, somethiing I have not had the priviledge of having done.
For all that you've been a very paternal mentor to me for years now...
Old 10-09-2008, 07:52 PM   #956
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Let's not talk so much about LMP leaving, we still have half the day to finish in Scarburg! We'll have plenty of time before the day is done, and besides, it depresses me to see that we're going to lose our best writer.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #957
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Besides, he's probably going to be better written by you since you, Noggie, have experienced fatherhood, somethiing I have not had the priviledge of having done.
Which kind of brings it to something I wanted to say earlier, but didn't really want to at the same time. I'd like Eodwine to be played by somebody because I think that Javan's character will now be quite influenced by Eodwine's character, and it is so much more fun if there are two players involved in such a situation.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:56 PM   #958
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Let's not talk so much about LMP leaving, we still have half the day to finish in Scarburg! We'll have plenty of time before the day is done, and besides, it depresses me to see that we're going to lose our best writer.
Hear! Hear! *sniff*

(Aye, that's it, let's all give him a guilt trip.)

(I'm kidding, Elempi. Don't be mad. Or sad for that matter.)
Old 10-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #959
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Palantir-Green

I just wanted to let y'all know that I'll be gone for the next couple of days. If the rope-tie race is done before I get back could you please do a game that someone else is hosting, I don't want to hold the RPG up in my absence.

I'll see y'all when I get back, and I look forward to reading lots and lots of your posts when I get back!
Old 10-12-2008, 11:40 AM   #960
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Groin, I hope it's ok with you what I wrote about Lithor.