Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #2961
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
I've been picturing that Athanar and Stedford met in the hall where Faramund holds court. I could be wrong.
They met on beside the main door, around the stairs leading up. That I think is established in the thread.

Bun on the other issues I think there is no clear-cut view to prevail yet. So it would be up to anyone to decide while posting... I do think both Firefoot's and lmp's designs sound reasonable and usable.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #2962
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
So where is Athanar now?
Old 02-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #2963
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot View Post
So where is Athanar now?
By the stairs with the two men (two others are around the farther corner looking if anything suspicious is brewing on that direction - and the fifth just took off with Stedford).

And yes, Thornden just came to break him the news on Faramund.

Also, Athanar sent Hilderinc to tell Coen to gather the men to the main door where Athanar now is - and then take a few men and come to Leof to get the horses.

I think it's like that now.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #2964
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Btw. the reason for him to gather all the men together in a hurry - if not obvious - is not to leave any of the men isolated in small groups that could be harrassed. If it turned for the worst it would be of upmost importance he had all his men (and horses) together.

*Pokes Lommy on the two walking catastrophies. *

Actually Athanar is not looking forwards a fight - and will actually do his best to avoid it however things will evolve - but as a veteran military commander he is always preparing for the worst case scenario...
Old 02-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #2965
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Got it. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #2966
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Legate - over to you. Hilderinc doesn't seem to like it much when people challenge him (much less the "stablemaster")... so I thought it might be fun to try and get under his skin a bit.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #2967
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Legate - over to you. Hilderinc doesn't seem to like it much when people challenge him (much less the "stablemaster")... so I thought it might be fun to try and get under his skin a bit.
I wondered if you were doing it on purpose. I won't interfere. Hehe.

-- Foley
Old 02-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #2968
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Foley: I was pretty careful with Thornden as I was not to sure would he speak openly about any possible doubts he might have and thus made Athanar just guess what he thought. If you think Thornden would have opened his mouth along the lines I wrote Athanar guessing them, I can add things in there.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #2969
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Nogrod, you did well. Please insert what I have added here...

Quote:
"Hah, I guess I know what you're thinking... I'm showing myself as a coward to him pledging peace in front of his threads? Let me tell you, I have no problems in acting like a coward in front of a fool if it helps me to get the evidence to nail him in court and keep all my men alive. That's one thing you learn in the battlefield, master Thornden... never lose your men if you don't need to, especially not because of vanity or pride. And even if he got that kind of thoughts into his head he'll be surprised enough to see us all mounted and in readiness to any move he wishes to make before he is able to execute them...."

"You mistake me, my lord. I think it is the right choice not to fight him if at all possible. But what shall you do with his father and with the ledger?"

Athanar looked at Thornden into the eye and nodded. "Just take care of yourself Thornden. I'll be in readiness to send a few men and your horses to get you back if there is any trouble. We will cover for you, you know that. Now go!"
I figured that Athanar saying, "Just take care of yourself" flows well after Thornden queries into his intensions. If you want to change it to, "Just take care of what I told you to" that'd be fine, too, but it's your choice.

-- Foley
Old 02-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #2970
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Foley: I changed it into this:
Quote:
"You mistake me, my lord. I think it is the right choice not to fight him if at all possible. But what shall you do with his father and with the ledger?" Thornden asked.

Athanar looked at Thornden into the eye and nodded. "Just take care of yourself Thornden. You'l learn that later... Anyway, you should go now. We don't have time to lose. I'll be in readiness to send a few men and your horses to get you back if there is any trouble. We will cover for you, you know that. Now go!"
I think that would be okay?

Others: just keep on turning the wheel forwards!

Also back in Scarburg...
Old 02-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #2971
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Looks fine, Nogrod. Thanks.

I will attempt to post later this evening.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:37 AM   #2972
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Good, good! I haven't been around now for some time, so gotta read what you people have created meanwhile, but I will try to post soon, hopefully still today...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 02-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #2973
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Okay, looks like the tide of events in the courtyard beat me to it... hm, I wonder if I could still write it in "flashback" or something, but I won't have time to do it today anymore anyway, then tomorrow I will see how it goes, if somebody else doesn't post again...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 02-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #2974
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Flash-back would work, or either Nogrod or I could edit our posts to include yours where it ought to go, if you post it here.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #2975
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Flash-back would work, or either Nogrod or I could edit our posts to include yours where it ought to go, if you post it here.
This sounds good. I don't want to miss that exchange.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:50 AM   #2976
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Done I think it should be fine where it is, as it basically covers the timeframe from awhile back when the mess had started until the present, just from Hilderinc's point of view, so it is basically re-running the same events. And I have sort of assumed what Nog had posted then taking place: the soldiers and others doing as Hilderinc had commanded and everybody getting ready in the end. There is also a message for Léof in the end, which can be used however you see fit, Firefoot

I see I have delved into Hilderinc's psychology even a bit more than I thought, but I sort of had to make it clear why he acted the way he did, especially since you two, Firefoot and Foley, seemed to be interested in that, or seemed to have your own assumptions as to how he's going to act.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #2977
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I like it, Legate.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:07 AM   #2978
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
I'll try to continue Wynflaed early tomorrow.

In the meantime, here's a heads-up for a new game I'm trying to get off the ground, which takes some of the suggested RP reforms into account. It's intended to be short, intense, and have opportunities for the players who would just like to wander in on the action as well as the ones glued to their computers. It's called The King's Players (for now), and I hope you'll check it out!
Old 02-15-2011, 03:54 AM   #2979
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
I like it, Legate.
Glad that you do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
In the meantime, here's a heads-up for a new game I'm trying to get off the ground, which takes some of the suggested RP reforms into account. It's intended to be short, intense, and have opportunities for the players who would just like to wander in on the action as well as the ones glued to their computers. It's called The King's Players (for now), and I hope you'll check it out!
This looks absolutely brilliant, especially the plot idea, I'm afraid, though, that there are too many unfinished RPs behind my back for me to start getting into a new one...
Old 02-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #2980
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Heh, I'm starting to like lord Athanar after finally being able to write him in his "comfort-zone"... I mean I had always figured him as not the man of words but the military commander in the field, the experienced tactician, the man who knows the perils and acts on them.

All these previous problems in the Mead Hall were just a pain to him as he is not the charming leader who talks nicely and makes friends easily with his subjects. But here he can now lead, and lead with his example.

What a great guy!

And just for the interest of the writers here (not probably knowledge your characters would have), there was this discussion between Leof and Hilderinc whether it would have been wiser to just make the men of Scarburg run for their horses...

Well, Athanar thinks differently.

Dealing with this kind of unpredictable hotheaded youngster one can never be too careful. If the men had made a run for their horses it could have ignited alarms in Faramund's mind and possibly led to hasty ideas about the Scarburgians getting ready to fight them immediately and thus could have worked as that fine final push for him to attack while the men of Scarburg were still on foot - and that would have been devastating.

There's no situation where a leader wishes his men to be caught unawares, running, and be assaulted by a cavalry... even if he could afterwards make a case he was attacked upon. A leader cares for his men and does everything to make the right decisions for their safety.

So it was a better idea to gather the men first and get the horses after it. The gathered force could take in a cavalry charge if organised, even if on foot. And if they just gathered together, Faramund would have little to defend his actions if he attacked. Also, had Faramund decided to attack the few men bringing the horses in... it would have made him the aggressor and basically reason enough to rip him from his title and to throw him into jail for a long time.

Okay, I'm going to be away for a few days but will be back on late Friday / Saturday. Keep the wheels moving...
Old 02-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #2981
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Thanks for your explaning post, Nogrod. I enjoyed reading it and it made a lot of sense.

Also, the goings-on in the courtyard are getting pretty tense!! Looking forward to seeing it work out.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:22 PM   #2982
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Nogrod - that makes total sense to me - but Leof's no soldier. All he sees is "You want the five of us here to move 30 horses there where we have no place to put them. That's silly."
Old 02-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #2983
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Crazy as it may seem, I've been getting sympathetic toward Faramund. I suppose it helps me write him more true.... :shrugs:
Old 02-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #2984
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Thanks Foley for writing Stigend and Garstan off the scene... I have felt so bad not having time to think or write about what they would do back there.

Lmp: I can see why you'd relate to Faramund, and that is good. It's only when you can get into the guts / trousers (just trying different idioms here) of someone that you can really produce stuff that makes a difference.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #2985
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I'm going to be gone for the next 24 hours or so, so please don't expect any posting from me. I wish I'd had time to post for Saeryn, at least, but it was not to be so. Later, I guess.

-- Foley
Old 02-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #2986
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Concerning the situation at Faramund's Hall... were discussing some background issues, lmp and me, concerning the bigger picture behind what happens right now (like why is Friduhelm in a condition he is, why did he give away his lordship, what does he know etc.). As soon as we have something like a decent shared view of it, things will roll forwards on that front again. And I think that will be pretty soon.

Meanwhile, I do suggest you others keep posting. Don't wait for us doing things inside the Hall - there should be a plenty of tension outside the two groups facing each other - or things going on back in Scarburg.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #2987
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Yes, there may be trouble outside...hehe...Lommy, I brought the thought of Athanar's sons back up to the surface. Perhaps you can post soon?
Old 02-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #2988
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Yes, there may be trouble outside...hehe...Lommy, I brought the thought of Athanar's sons back up to the surface. Perhaps you can post soon?
What a great post! Love it!
Old 02-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #2989
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Uggh. Folwren you're mean! I'm trying to catch up now and write today/tomorrow. Just I feel like I should never have taken Wulfric and Wilheard 'cos they're the kind of characters who'd need a lot of attention from their writer and I keep neglecting them!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #2990
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
White-Hand

Ai! You can trust me to post if I promise, but you should always add 1-3 days to my own estimate/promise of when I'm going to post. In other words, just finished reading what's happened and almost started to write but realised I'd prefer going to the grocery when there's still daylight. So, shall be back home in half an hour, then write, so expect a post in 1-2h.

ps. oh and I was meaning to say you've all written very good posts recently!
Old 03-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #2991
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Haha further delay. Legate just came here so maybe I won't write right now. (I have written maybe 1/2 or 1/3 of the post, it will be looong. Kind of also got stuck reading my earlier posts about W&W and have to say they are such adorable jerks. ) So expect me to post still later today hopefully.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #2992
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

*sigh* Ooookay, we'll wait, I guess, if we have to.

Looking forward to it.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #2993
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I can't wait to read about the adorable jerks.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #2994
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Writing all the time.

You make me feel like I had better write a very good post though which is rather worrisome!
Old 03-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #2995
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Finally posted. I was trying to make it correspond with what's been happening this far but I think I might've made a mistake somewhere because that was quite a lot to absorb. Please tell me if I failed something!

Also mes apologies for writing such a novel. I had a lot of stuff to catch up with.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:07 AM   #2996
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Finally posted. I was trying to make it correspond with what's been happening this far but I think I might've made a mistake somewhere because that was quite a lot to absorb. Please tell me if I failed something!

Also mes apologies for writing such a novel. I had a lot of stuff to catch up with.
Hey, that was just GREAT! Gotta post sometime soon, this is definitely going to bring some reactions.

And you are right, only one mistake though, as far as I can see: I believe Áforglaed is away with the message for the King. But you can just substitute the name for somebody else, for instance Fearghall would fit well, I believe. Or you can make up an entirely new soldier.

But anyway, wonderful post

P.S. It just occured to me, related to the link: I have this small list of Athanar's soldiers there, I have just updated it with a bit of info related to Baldwic (from the latest post), maybe if there is more you can think about, or more soldiers whose names I could just add in for easy reference (since it's linked to the character list), tell me, so that I can put it in...
Old 03-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #2997
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thanks Legate, Fearghall sounds good. I'll edit him in.

I earlier wrote about Baldwic also here. It explains that Wilheard and Baldwic are semi-friends because they have recently been training together occasionally.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #2998
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I earlier wrote about Baldwic also here. It explains that Wilheard and Baldwic are semi-friends because they have recently been training together occasionally.
Duly noted, sir. I will put this in there as well. The more info we have for looking up there, the better we can work with the characters, especially with these NPC-type guys, who can be used by anyone...
Old 03-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #2999
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Hey, Lommy, good post. If I feel up to it, maybe I'll have Thornden notice and answer them. That will be interesting. But if someone (Legate or anyone) gets around to writing first, don't hesitate.

-- Folwren
Old 03-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #3000
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Ai ai ai! Folwren, I believe Thornden has just made himself two enemies (not that they liked him before either given they were thinking he was planning treachery with Lithor)! And on top of everything it was his little brother (who is kind of his responsibility) was the one to hit Aedre. Brilliant!