Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2008, 09:00 PM   #1081
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sorry I missed the this, the stamina part should give my character a boost.
Stamina=9/8
Strength= 8
Agility= 4
Balance= 5
Old 11-25-2008, 10:15 PM   #1082
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Yeah, Erbrand's gonna need all the help he can get.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:27 AM   #1083
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Alrighty, I've caught up on reading the posts on this thread. I'm not going to use numbers to describe my characters - I don't think that's fair: of course I want my characters to win.

So, for the sack fight: Javan is short, as you all know. He has good balance and agility. However, he is aggressive AND impuslive, so I can totally see him taking a rash swing at someone with the sack and falling off the log because he throws himself off balance when his stroke doesn't do what it's supposed to - does that make sense? Use it as you will. I'd say he has a chance, but he has his draw backs.

For the quarterstaff fight - Thornden is tall and strong and liable to be overbearing if necessary. He is skilled in this form of fighting, being swift with both his eyes and his actions so that he can parry and strike with precision and knowledge.
Please don't have anyone TOO hurt in this.

Will that do?
Old 11-26-2008, 10:21 AM   #1084
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
For the quarterstaff fight - Thornden is tall and strong and liable to be overbearing if necessary. He is skilled in this form of fighting, being swift with both his eyes and his actions so that he can parry and strike with precision and knowledge.
Please don't have anyone TOO hurt in this.

Will that do?
Sounds to me like this is the one Thornden should win.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:17 AM   #1085
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Sounds to me like this is the one Thornden should win.
Well, I could be more modest if you wish it, but I just thought... Thornden is a trained soldier, after all, so he can be good at it.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #1086
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
So, for the sack fight: Javan is short, as you all know. He has good balance and agility. However, he is aggressive AND impuslive, so I can totally see him taking a rash swing at someone with the sack and falling off the log because he throws himself off balance when his stroke doesn't do what it's supposed to - does that make sense? Use it as you will.
I was actually thinking that should happen to someone...

I'm trying to post the sackfight tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley
Well, I could be more modest if you wish it, but I just thought... Thornden is a trained soldier, after all, so he can be good at it.
I'm having Thornden one of the favourites in my papers. He's the highest ranking soldier around anyway so he should be quite accomplished in soldiering...
Old 11-27-2008, 01:57 AM   #1087
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
For Dan:

Stamina=9
Strength=4
Agility=7
Balance=9
Old 11-27-2008, 03:51 AM   #1088
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Palantir-Green

I have finally managed to read the posts I've missed - and I must say it even wasn't a big job. I should just always read the posts as they come, however busy I am. Anyway, great job everybody - I like it that people are interacting so much and the posts have been well-written, as always.

I will try to write something for Modtryth and/or Cnebba soon. I think they, especially Cnebba himself, would be excited by Cnebba's late performance in archery.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:50 AM   #1089
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
bride price and dowry

Thanks to Lommy for reminding me about this topic, for which Fea requested assistance. Just to make things clear in my mind as well:

Bride price = that which is owed by the suitor for the woman's hand in marriage. This is NOT actually "buying the woman", but paying her family for two things: (1) the loss of the good things she was and did as part of the household; (2) her security once widowhood arrives.

Part 2 was typical in pre-modern times because women tended to marry much younger than men, who generally had to establish themselves economically (with a trade or actual wealth) before they could start thinking about marriage, and so the man was quite likely to die before she did.

Scarburg itself cannot be the bride price, since that is given by the king the Eorl of Middle Emnet, and if there is an eldest son, it should go to him, depending upon the king's blessing.

Condition number 1 (above) is rather subjective in Saeryn's case, and that's a matter of agreement between Degas and Eodwine. Condition number 2 has to do with making it the husband's responsibility to care for his wife after his death, rather than making it his childrens' responsibility. Of course, that would mean that Degas' family would be held responsible to take Saeryn back to the Folde, should she wish to go there, since that's where the bride price was paid to. Then again, she could request the bride price be paid to her after Eodwine's death, and she could remain at Scarburg with her children.

The bride price could be coin, or it could be cattle, horses, you name it; could even be a "tithe" of the next five years' harvest in grain, or some such. We could be very creative about it.

Then there's the dowry. The whole idea here is that the family of the bride hopes to enrich the bride and her husband's fresh start by giving them something to bank against the immediate future.

So the dowry has to do with "start-up", and the bride price has more to do with the bride's security in the long term.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 11-29-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:12 AM   #1090
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Hey, LMP, I never understood the exact meaning of those two terms - thanks for educating me.

I've posted now and I must admit it didn't take that much effort... Matrim is soon becoming my favourite NPC*, I think. (*Btw is he technically an NPC or just Nerindel's forgotten character?)

Kath, if you want to write a post for Frodides, make her reply Modtryth, but if you don't, just say it on this thread and I may as well carry on from where I left it.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #1091
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhuna
No, I actually got a better idea. I would need the sword fighting event for that, though. Because I feel like sharing, please check your PM box, Elempi.

(Or no, actually there's no need for that. I'm sure you'll get to read my PM before you even read this post. )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elempi
Hah! You were right. Go for it; should be quite .... er..... fun
This has been 'bothering' me ever since you two said this! Please don't keep me guessing for long about what the plan is, Lhuna! I keep coming up with ... interesting and 'fun' scenerios in my head.

But, then, I guess that you're really waiting for the sword fighting, huh? I guess I'll have to be patient. *starts gnawing on fingernails with impatience*
Old 11-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #1092
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I will try to get a reply up later toDay Lommy.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:24 PM   #1093
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
My first sack-fight post is a waay too long. I hope you forgive me as Cnebba and Garmund are characters of which one is mine (well shared with Lommy) and the other I have written a lot of as well, so that match is a bit overdone in length. I'll promise to be a bit shorter in the future...

The next part is coming in soonish.

PS. Foley: I hope that's alright with Javan. I can edit out the "inner thoughts" of him if you think I should. I'm happy to do that if I've portrayed that young man incorrectly.

Last edited by Nogrod; 11-27-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #1094
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Like I was able to write short posts...

Okay. Have your reactions or let the other "out-of-the-games" things go forwards. I'll try to make the semifinals and the final of the sack-fight tomorrow. Now it's 2.20 AM and I'm to bed.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:32 PM   #1095
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ok, reply to Modtryth is there Lommy and I've put in a short conversation between Kara and Erbrand. If I've put words in anyones mouths that they don't like please let me know.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:12 PM   #1096
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Hey, LMP, I never understood the exact meaning of those two terms - thanks for educating me.
You're welcome. I have to admit that the distinction of dowry as "start up money" is a logical conclusion I reached without support of evidence.

Quote:
is Matrim technically an NPC or just Nerindel's forgotten character?
I'd say the correct appallation of Matrim is that he is Nerindel's *minor* character. In her absence he becomes an NPC.

Sorry, Foley, I'm following Lhuna's lead on this one, and she's waiting for the sword fight.

Now that things are happening around here, I've stopped being so antsy trying to move things along to the end of the games. But let's please keep things going once Nogrod's finished with the sack fight!

It's late. I'll write a post to catch up Harreld & Rowenna in the morning.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 11-29-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:29 PM   #1097
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Ok, reply to Modtryth is there Lommy and I've put in a short conversation between Kara and Erbrand. If I've put words in anyones mouths that they don't like please let me know.
Looks great Kath!
Old 11-27-2008, 10:15 PM   #1098
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Nogrod, you did great! Javan's stuff in the post is excellent and I have no complaints.

Don't worry about it, Elempi. I am just voicing my impatient curiosity to let you both know that it didn't fall on deaf ears - at least in this quarter.

-- Foley
Old 11-28-2008, 03:56 AM   #1099
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
It's fine for me too. And it's nice - have I said it somewhere or can you read my thoughts? - I've always thought Modtryth would be a good storyteller!
Old 11-28-2008, 04:42 AM   #1100
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Haha clearly I'm just psychic. No it just made sense to me so I'm glad you're good with it.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:22 AM   #1101
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Writing a paper (taking a mini break), so I can't really post for real at the moment, but here's what I'm thinking:

""You have blessed me with knowing your desire that Saeryn become my wife, for which I thank you. But we have not spoken, you and I, of bride price and dowery. Now that you are head of your house, and Saeryn is your sister, what would you have from me in plight for the good of your sister, both while we live, but more to the point, for her security in widowhoood?"" (Eodwine to Degas)

Saeryn would have had a dowery in place already, yes? Presumably? But would Crazy-Fenrir have left it alone, particularly once she fell from favor? To the point: can I assume that Saer already has a dowery containing dowery-stuff, or does the rather prodigal Degas need to come up with a new one from the wreckage of his long-avoided home?

And I'm now definitely thinking of bride-price as 'retirement fund.'

Also, I'm thinking, Saeryn hasn't really been a part of the Folde for quite some time now, so handing over stuff to make up for what the Folde will be losing isn't quite like if she'd been living at home being the sole weaver or something.

Also, though- would it be appropriate for Degas to go home and see what his lands need before naming a bride price? Or is this a conversation that must be settled 'now' regardless of the current state of the Folde?
Old 11-28-2008, 05:51 PM   #1102
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I think that Degas' and Eodwine's combined situation is rather unique. Both are relatively poor lords in start-up phase. Eodwine has very little to offer Degas in bride price, and Degas has very little to offer Eodwine in dowry because no doubt stoopid crazy brother sabotaged it. So I think that the two of them are likely to come to one of two decisions:

1) "let's settle this when we're both a bit more settled". This has the negative for Eodwine of nothing new for start-up, but it's a positive for Degas, obviously; and Saeryn's bride price/retirement fund is unaffected.

2) Bride price and dowry are combined in a pact of life-long alliance, aid, and friendship, as long as two of the three individuals shall live. This has the negative of no real boost to any of them in the start-up phase, but the long term rewards would of course be huge for all involved.

Can anybody think of a 3)?

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 11-29-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:01 PM   #1103
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
I am just voicing my impatient curiosity to let you both know that it didn't fall on deaf ears - at least in this quarter.

-- Foley
I'm sorry, Foley, and thanks. Now that you've expressed your 'excitement,' I feel a bit more pressured to do a good job on writing what I've been planning. *gnaws on fingernails nervously*

I really have to wait for the sword fight, though. I'm just hoping I can write when it finally comes...
Old 11-28-2008, 09:37 PM   #1104
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Well, which game is next? The quarterstaff fight, right? And then what - the sword fight? Who's writing that?

I am very excited to see what's stewing. I am guessing, but whether or not I'm guessing correctly, we shall see. I see that Harreld and Ginna are getting rather warm with each other. lol!
Old 11-29-2008, 06:51 AM   #1105
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Well, which game is next? The quarterstaff fight, right?
We still need the final for the sack-fight. Then there will be the quarterstaff-stuff...
Old 11-29-2008, 07:26 AM   #1106
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up

Now I'm pretty sure Kara's going to win the whole sack-fight!!!
Old 11-29-2008, 09:00 AM   #1107
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
If my memory serves me well, Foley, it's Gwath who will be writing the sword fight. Gwath, please don't forget to include Ginna in the player list! Thanks.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:20 AM   #1108
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Bride Price and Dowry revisited

The spelling of "dowery" was bugging me so I looked it up and sure enough, I've been spelling it wrong. It's dowry. It's the root word for "endowment". Not sure that clarifies anything.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:23 AM   #1109
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
The spelling of "dowery" was bugging me so I looked it up and sure enough, I've been spelling it wrong. It's dowry. It's the root word for "endowment". Not sure that clarifies anything.
Haha, LMP, I trust you rather blindly - you know, when you spelt it as "dowery" I was like "isn't it "dowry"? Oh, I guess "dowery" is just an alternative spelling..."
Old 11-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #1110
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Oh, I guess "dowery" is just an alternative spelling..."
That was totally what I thought too.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:51 PM   #1111
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

The sack-fight is packed.

It will take me a few days before I have time to start thinking about the quarterstaff-game. But it will come soonish. So please go on writing and use the interval for some interaction.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:56 PM   #1112
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Underhand tactics, I say
Old 11-30-2008, 07:54 PM   #1113
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Is it too late for me to add Thornden to the list for sword fighting? With Ginna added to the list, it makes an odd number of contestants, so I was thinking that Thornden would make it even. Would that be alright?

For my own sake and for anyone else who's sake is saved, I'm bringing this forward.

Quarterstaff-fight Erbrand, Crabannan, Stigend, Dan, Eodwine, Harreld, Thornden, Garstan, Osmund, Aethelstan, Balvir--> NOGROD

Sword fight Crabannan, Dan, Eodwine, Degas, Garstan, Stigend, Aethelstan, Erbrand, Balvir, Matrim, Ginna--> GWATHAGOR

Dancing

Riddles Dan, Eodwine, Javan, Degas, Wilcred

Last edited by Folwren; 11-30-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:20 PM   #1114
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Nogrod or Lommy, Javan has addressed Cnebba and Garmund with a wager. I thought you'd like to know so you can have either of them answer as you will.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #1115
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Will you look at that? The peasants get to hug each other while the socially hire ranking tradesman and land holder's daughter dare no more than to stand arm in arm; but the lord and lady, compared to that, may do no more than bow and curtsy or sit near each other. Ah me, ah well. Such is the price of nobility.

Fun posts, everyone! Fea and I are in the midst of building a PM post so that poor Fea doesn't have to wrack her brains all alone how Degas would reply to Eodwine. Hope to post it soon - maybe tonight or tomorrow. Then the quarterstaff fights can begin.....
Old 12-01-2008, 07:33 PM   #1116
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Will you look at that? The peasants get to hug each other while the socially hire ranking tradesman and land holder's daughter dare no more than to stand arm in arm; but the lord and lady, compared to that, may do no more than bow and curtsy or sit near each other. Ah me, ah well. Such is the price of nobility.
Ah, the joys of being the lower class.

Is our goal to get the games done by the end of this week, or are we all set now that people are posting?
Old 12-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #1117
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

One thing, Groin - Thornden did not help Erbrand up. Others were there before him. He helped Kara down.

Hey, Elempi, funny you shouldn't notice that. I didn't, but it's so true. lol!
Old 12-02-2008, 05:59 AM   #1118
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Groin, as long as there are people posting, it's okay if the games don't get done in a hurry. However, let's not drag our heels either.

Fea and I have finished our PM post. I'll post it up as soon as I'm at a computer that can copy and paste.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:03 AM   #1119
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Nogrod or Lommy, Javan has addressed Cnebba and Garmund with a wager. I thought you'd like to know so you can have either of them answer as you will.
At least I won't have time to post today but we'll try to have one of us doing it soon...
Old 12-02-2008, 10:39 AM   #1120
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I have edited post # 336 on the Scarburg thread with the continuation from Fea's and my PM built post.