Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2007, 01:20 PM   #641
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age View Post
Nogrod,

If you need Khandr to give you any kind of "latch" to get into the plot line, just let me know.
That would be appreciated indeed. It would both make the entry back easier as I would have a situation to come into and it would also function as a further incentive to actually sit down and write as it now seems I might actually have the time for it.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:22 PM   #642
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420! Cheers!

Looks like this game body might pull out of its coma after all, Elempi.

But I won't get too hopeful yet.

-- Folwren
Old 11-01-2007, 01:23 PM   #643
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
- CHANGE OF NAME -

In order to avoid any confusion with Nogorod's character, I've gone through the game and changed one of my characters' names.

Fastarr (one of the twins) will now be Falarr

If I missed any posts where the change was needed, please leave the post # here on the Discussion Thread.

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2007, 02:03 PM   #644
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'll go and liase with my spouse in a while. Nogrod, is there any further business you'd like me to attend to vis a vis your chap?
Old 11-01-2007, 02:31 PM   #645
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
I'll go and liase with my spouse in a while. Nogrod, is there any further business you'd like me to attend to vis a vis your chap?
I'll try to read up the stuff tomorrow to both update myself and to remind me of things done. I'll let you know if I have any ideas but generally I think we should make the two to meet again in some near future to see if it could fex. offer the plot some nice twists. I mean there is potential there to have interesting turns there.

And it's always nicer to write with someone than alone.

If you have any ideas please tell me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio
In order to avoid any confusion with Nogorod's character, I've gone through the game and changed one of my characters' names.
Okay. Although there surely could be two people sharing a name in a community like that. But gamewise it sure is reasonable to avoid confusion.

Funny you managed to pick the same name back then though.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:48 PM   #646
Noinkling
Wight

Noinkling has just left Hobbiton.
Pio

I've filled my SAVE

So push our little family along as needed.

---------------

bill_n_sam - if you're still about - I'm planning on Granny and the entourage showing up at Dag's door with the flimsiest of excuses for the visit. Falki will be there hoping to see Mem
Old 11-01-2007, 02:55 PM   #647
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Noinkling - Thanks! Will post tomorrow (off to work now)

-----

Nogrod - I found that name on a list of Old Norse names. One of its meaning was 'Strong Defender'.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:48 PM   #648
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Originally Posted by piosenniel View Post
Nogrod - I found that name on a list of Old Norse names. One of its meaning was 'Strong Defender'.
Me too. And that meaning was in my mind as my character would be Khandr's staunch servant.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:08 PM   #649
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Noinkling, unfortunately, bill_and_sam has not been online since June 12. I don't imagine she'll be coming back.

-- Foley
Old 11-02-2007, 10:14 AM   #650
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noinkling View Post
bill_n_sam - if you're still about - I'm planning on Granny and the entourage showing up at Dag's door with the flimsiest of excuses for the visit. Falki will be there hoping to see Mem
While you were away, I posted in general with a suggestion that Mem has been a victim of some terrible unnamed deed at the hands of Ulwarth. This may be deleted if you prefer, or it may come into play, as you wish. Please let me know what you want to do.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:17 AM   #651
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
While you were away, I posted in general with a suggestion that Mem has been a victim of some terrible unnamed deed at the hands of Ulwarth. This may be deleted if you prefer, or it may come into play, as you wish. Please let me know what you want to do.
What?! I didn't hear about that! Ulwarth? Nonsense!

I mean to say, no...that can't...happen...that's outside of his character.

Or, rather, what do you mean? Maybe it can happen, but...we've got to talk this over, at least a little bit.

And don't surprise me like that!

-- Folwren
Old 11-02-2007, 10:20 AM   #652
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
It shouldn't be a surprise. It's in the rpg thread. It's the general one I wrote trying to move the action along. I can make it Ulfast if you prefer, which would actually make more sense. But then, maybe Noinkling and billnsam would protest the plot twist itself. Waiting to hear back.....
Old 11-02-2007, 10:22 AM   #653
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

It's in post # 181.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:09 PM   #654
Noinkling
Wight

Noinkling has just left Hobbiton.
littlemanpoet & Folwren

This is what bill_n_sam, Pio, and I were working on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_n_sam's PM
That was wonderful! Mem is just so totally flustered! And this will play well into another plot development I'm working on with Celuien, where Ulfast wants Mem to come to a feast/entertainment being put on in honor of the elves and have her sing some sort of traditional song in praise of the Ulfings that she knows. (This is of course assuming that such a fete is going to take place ).

I had thought maybe some retainer(s) of Uldor, or maybe a drunken (?) Uldor himself, might try to get a little too friendly with Mem (just because she's blind and very vulnerable) and then an outraged Dag would intervene (to the great peril of himself ) I was hoping it could be Uldor because then Dag will pretty much have to throw in his lot with Ulfast, who is probably going to save him from being gutted by Uldor. Anyway, with this Falki development, it could be that Falki intervenes, or maybe they both could, and that would create some conflict in Grimr's family, as far as their "loyalty" to Uldor goes. all that being said just as a way to further develop all the infighting going on and how the commoners get dragged into it all.
Why don't we make it one of Uldor's retainers? Can you edit that lmp? Give the retainer a name. Either I or Pio will write a brief look back at the incident. I'll PM bill_n_sam and see if she will return to the game.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:53 PM   #655
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'll change it any way the group wishes. I think Foley is going to have to decide on how Uldor, or any of his retainers, are used. As soon as this is all figured out, I'd be happy to edit that post as you wish.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:24 PM   #656
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Well...do what you want with Uldor's retainers. lol. I'm not that protective. And I'm sorry if I appear to overly protective of any character...

I'd say make it a retainer. However, if it would work well for players for it to be Uldor, then I may think over it some more and decide in favor of it. But it's just so awful. Poor, little Mem.

If he thought he could get away with it without it being found out, perhaps he would do it. Otherwise...I don't think so. I'll have to think on it more. You tell me if it's of great importance to your plot ideas and I'll decide.

-- Folwren
Old 11-02-2007, 08:19 PM   #657
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'm going to revise post #181 so that Ulfast is forward but no worse. Now that I think about it, I'd prefer not to do that plot twist in regard to Mem. Since there's a suitor that would go mad in rage and a brother in law that we could use better, I'll tone it down to Ulfast being just a little too familiar.

EDIT: the post is revised; no evil deed has been done, but it's still rather ominous, admittedly.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 11-02-2007 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:38 PM   #658
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

SAVE filled.

Grķmr, Falarr, and Valr have joined in at the rear of the hunting party.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:14 PM   #659
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

I updated myself with the story today. It looks good indeed!

So I'm just waiting for Child to write Fastarr in.

I quess I have said this before but the main problem of this RPG is that it's so plot-centered and as someone who only has minor character involved it's pretty hard to stick in other than writing how my character spent his day - which I've done a few times already. But let's hope it turns into some real action between the characters now as all the people are now gathering together for the hunt.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:58 PM   #660
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Nogrod,

I've just called on Embla to show her face and am waiting to respond to that. So I can't do anything to latch you in until the other post goes up.

I did have one idea. Let me send it to you in a pm and see what you think of it.

Child
Old 11-04-2007, 07:29 AM   #661
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Problem: plot centered rpg.
Solution: involve your character in the plot.

I had better write something for Lachrandir today. I wonder, would Thorn have something for him?
Old 11-04-2007, 08:11 AM   #662
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

I'll be having Fastarr on Thorn's tail in an hour or two.

And if Broda is no one's character I'd be happy to have Fastarr to give him some hard time...

At least I couldn't find Broda from the character-list but maybe it has changed?

So anyone "owning" him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
Problem: plot centered rpg.
Solution: involve your character in the plot.
I'm just trying to do it...

And btw. we (that is Khandr's servant Hugo & Fastarr) are going to offer Thorn a choice which is Khandr's bidding...
Old 11-04-2007, 10:00 AM   #663
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Maybe I spelled his name wrong and perhaps it has two D's.... Anyway, he's on the character list somewhere. I'll write Captain of Despair and see where he is.

-- Folwren
Old 11-04-2007, 10:17 AM   #664
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Foley, I have an easy solution to our problem about Brodda. You could edit your post and change the name of the person so that it's one of Uldor's (NPC) servants who goes after Thorn and not Brodda.

lmp, feel free to write for Thorn. Hugo who is Khandr's older servant (a small and skinny chap riding a great warhorse - he must be sight!) will catch him up and offer shelter in Khandr's residence. Feel free to write that as Hugo is a NPC. You may also write Fastarr to come in the scene panting from around the corner so we might then have a short discussion between the two.

Child, if there is something wrong with the content or tone of Khandr's doings in my post let me know and I'll change whatever needs to change.

Haa. Nice to be back. My post in in a minute.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:25 AM   #665
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Hhhm. I could change it to an NPC. That would probably be best. If CoD does end up responding to my PM, I'll just give his character a lead in somehwere else.

So, go ahead and write as though the character were someone other than Brodda. Say his name is...Ruadan. I can't change it now, I've got to leave at once, but later today.

-- folwren
Old 11-04-2007, 10:36 AM   #666
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Say his name is...Ruadan.
Ruadan he is then. If I'm able I'll write the scene a bit forwards with the confrontation between Fastarr and Ruadan yet today.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:54 PM   #667
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Nogrod,

Just read your post after I sent you the pm. It is fine! Very good indeed from Khandr's perspective.

Child
Old 11-04-2007, 03:30 PM   #668
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Very rough and ready post there. Had to rush it but thought it better than nothing...need to move the story along!
Old 11-04-2007, 04:59 PM   #669
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'll try to put something together tonight.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:56 AM   #670
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dūm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Well, since Folwren knows I'm around and somewhat/sort of able to play, I shall also let the rest of you know. There's no sense in keeping it secret.

Anywho, I will try to absorb recent roleplay goings-on and catch up as soon as possible. College and its research papers shall hold me back for this week, but after that I'll be somewhat free for a time (though, I do need to read a lot of things...).

-CoD
Old 11-05-2007, 09:09 AM   #671
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Good to hear from you CoD!

I think we should keep that guy sent to trail Thorn as Ruadan and not Brodda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp on a PM
Foley's understanding of Brodda fits with how I read CoD having handled the character.
So maybe we both (Foley and me) edit our posts a bit so that Uldor calls for Brodda to take care Thorn is caught and he gives the task to Ruadan who is his man. I could edit my post in a similar fashion and remove the sentence where it is said that Khandr knew the man who was running after Thorn.

Is that ok.?
Old 11-05-2007, 09:17 AM   #672
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

That sounds fine to me. I edited my post to make Brodda Ruadan, but it just didn't seem right htat Uldor should go immediately to this Ruadan fellow who I have never written about and have not developed in the slightest.

So, maybe I should go back and change my post to how it was originally?

Perhaps you, Nogrod, could make note in your post that Brodda went to get another man (Ruadan).

O-or...to thicken the plot even more, perhaps Brodda gets Ruadan to help him, and Brodda is still on Thorn's trail even after Fastarr has taken out Ruadan?

By the way, I'm going under the assumption that Fastarr doesn't kill Ruadan, he just knocks him out. You're leaving the actual kill to me and Uldor, right? (Gooolly, that sounds horrible!)

-- Folwren
Old 11-05-2007, 10:46 AM   #673
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

If Ruadan is Brodda's man and not Uldor's, then why is Ruadan's life in danger from Uldor? Wouldn't his life be in danger from Brodda? Because Uldor would hold Brodda responsible for his underling's failures, not the underling. So Brodda's life is in danger from Uldor, not Ruadan. Unless you make Ruadan one of the formerly unnamed retainers of Uldor.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #674
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I would think that Ruadan would be in trouble with Uldor because, really, it was Uldor that he failed and not Brodda. Besides that, Uldor can't kill Brodda because Brodda lives.

And maybe, just maybe, Ruadan won't die, either. It highly depends on how things fold out.

-- Folwren
Old 11-05-2007, 11:55 AM   #675
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Any news of lovely Durelin, btw? How I reply to Khandr depends a bit how much of a chance I have of interacting with Jord...
Old 11-05-2007, 12:13 PM   #676
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I haven't heard from her at all recently. Well...she did get on about two weeks ago (I think)...something like that, to say that she was sorry she was away but she planned to be able to write more consistantly than she had been. However, she hasn't seemed to have been on since and I really don't know where she is.

-- Folwren
Old 11-05-2007, 12:51 PM   #677
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
So sorry

I have just returned from Scotland where I didn't even have a phone let alone net access and prior to that I had limited access and work problems. However I have settled in to a new assignment for the next couple of months and while it is a long way from home I should get more time online more often.

If you will forgive my neglect I will try to get my head around what is happening and post as much as I can henceforth - I didn't mean to abandon Tathren and the poor lad has a very short life expectancy anyway so I would like to see him through if that is possible. However if it is easier that I stay away, that is ok - I know I have technically forfeited him .

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 11-05-2007, 01:20 PM   #678
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

No, no, no! Come back and welcome! By rights, I'm sure all of us, at some point, have forfeited all of our characters - perhaps Elempi excepted.

I'm glad you're back and I hope you had fun in Scotland.

-- Folwren
Old 11-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #679
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
It was pleasant and relaxing perhaps more than fun - but I got lots of fresh air & exercise and took lots of photos and all the rain was wonderful for my skin and hair....

Right will go and try and catch up...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 11-05-2007, 03:11 PM   #680
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

A nice little mess that would have been cleared in a face to face discussion in under a minute but will take several days...

Here's what I suggest we could do as to have the less possible changes and to make it sound believable - in my view that is.

So Foley can leave her post basically as it is (was) where Uldor addresses Brodda to take care that the old man is caught. Foley can then decide whether to add a sentence where Brodda hands this mission over to his servant Ruadan standing by as Brodda still is a chieftain and running after gamlings in a crowd hardly is a work for a chieftain.

I can leave my post mainly as it is as Fastarr just notes that a man was sent after Thorn and I edit out the sentence where it is said Khandr knew the man running after Thorn.

This also allows CoD to come in without us setting him a definitive place and action and he can decide himself what Brodda will do - after ordering Ruadan to do his bidding that is.

What say you? It's the simplest way I think.