The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Spiderwick Chronicles

Not that we'll ever see the movie, as we never get the chance to see any movie, and reportedly The Spiderwick Chronicles may be a bit too scary for the kids to go and see (we only go to kids flicks as we then don't need a babysitter for the tribe), and so...Anyway, thought that those that have seen it may want to discuss the comparison between it and LotR. To start off, this review reads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Machosky
Of all the pretenders to the fantasy-film throne vacated by "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" (2003), "The Spiderwick Chronicles" might have actually made the best movie.

Although Tony Diterlizzi and Holly Black probably didn't write the best-selling series of children's books with a movie in mind, its delicate balance of magic, monsters and all-out mayhem just happens to fit into the perfect shape for a film.

"Spiderwick" is a really fun, fast-paced adventure story that never gets bogged down by excessive backstory and insider-only minutiae. Imagine the whimsical wonderment of "Stuart Little" marinated in a little of the mystical magic of "Narnia," then mashed up with the scary-funny rambunctiousness of "Gremlins," and you're getting close. emphasis mine
"...excessive backstory and insider-only minutiae?" Just what is the reviewer saying?
Old 02-17-2008, 06:44 PM   #2
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
"...excessive backstory and insider-only minutiae?" Just what is the reviewer saying?
I suppose he wouldn't be too impressed by any possible allusions to Shelob or Ungoliant?
Old 02-18-2008, 02:36 AM   #3
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
Obviously a rich backstory is just a recipe for disaster when it comes to movies.

I've only recently heard of the Spiderwick Chronicles, but it does not sound like it can be compared to the LOTR movies or books. Fantasy though it may be, it sounds closer to A Series of Unfortunate Events, if anything.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
Obviously a rich backstory is just a recipe for disaster when it comes to movies.
Possibly. Is that why Peter Jackson made the changes that he did - too much back story and minutia spoils the soup? Killed Dune, it did.

Quote:
I've only recently heard of the Spiderwick Chronicles, but it does not sound like it can be compared to the LOTR movies or books. Fantasy though it may be, it sounds closer to A Series of Unfortunate Events, if anything.
Surely it'll be another Book of the Century just like LotR...

Trailer looks cool.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:59 AM   #5
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Took my six year old grandson to see SPIDERWICK and he loved it greatly. I thought it was pretty good for what it was. I usually despise tales where a bunch of misfit kids save the world but this one was actually believable and tolerable. The world they save is pretty much their house and grounds and the fairy inhabitants of it. Much more acceptable than NARNIA in that regard. The effects were fairly good, the monsters not too scary for kids, and there were even some tear jerking moments at the conclusion. All in all it was worth the six bucks admission.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:18 AM   #6
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

We finally got the Spiderwick Chronicles on DVD, and as the kids have watched it already multiple times, I've been able to watch the entire movie.

What I really liked in comparison to LotR was the scene in SwC where the kids find Arthur Spiderwick. He's kinda held frozen in time by these little white fluffy things that, like sirens, hold him and those who listen to them, captive. The glade in which this takes place is more Lothlorien-like than the 5-watt incandescent bulb-lit world of Peter Jackson. The lighting is very bright, the colours vivid, and you really get that 'fantasy-world' feel.

All said, the movie was cute, not too scary (for the kids) and maybe an interesting read.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Glad you enjoyed it Alatar. My grandson has watched it at least a half dozen times. Have you heard if they are going to do a sequel?
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:59 AM   #8
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Not sure about the sequel. Note that I am so LotR-jaded that when I heard the bad guy's name, "Mulgarath," I heard "Morgorath," thinking the name more in line with Morgoth.