The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Tolkien Art

I've been wondering - has there ever been any kind of collection of Middle-earth related art by Barrow-downers? If there hasn't, then I think there probably should be. We have plenty of artists here.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Hmm... I know there's this thread, but that's more about Downers than ME
Old 06-27-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I have attempted to draw Tolkien related art in the past but I am a terrible artist. Although I have made some of my own maps of Middle Earth. I am good at drawing maps and to me that is art.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dűm

Nessa Telrunya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Nessa Telrunya
Hmmm... That sounds like a fun project, scanning our art and uploading an archive. It wouldn't have to be perfect, as long as you try.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I will post some of the maps I have when I get home. I am currently on vacation, well sort of.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dűm

Nessa Telrunya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Nessa Telrunya
I can't draw maps very well, but I'm okay at little chibi cartoons.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:11 AM   #7
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Palantir-Green

Here's Túrin and Gwindor by Lake Ivrin by me and here's Melian and Thingol in Nan Elmoth by Aganzir. I believe we both have more art to share if we ever manage to scan.

PS. What about the paper telephone thread?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Palantir-Green

I am quite disappointed we didn't get any more art samples. Come on people, I'm sure there's a lot of you out there who draw or paint. It doesn't have to be perfect to be worth posting here.

Encouraging you with two recent sketches...

Galadriel seeing the Eye in her mirror

Beren and Lúthien

Drawing the first one took some time, but I made the latter in a few minutes. So, just scribble something and post it here, or scan/photograph your old pieces of art and share...

Now.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:40 PM   #9
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Here's a couple of mine. Mind, these were scanned while in my sketchbook, so the quality's pretty bad, but...

This is Vana Everyoung:

And this is Arien the Sun-maiden:
Old 03-19-2010, 06:18 AM   #10
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up Bravo, Loslote

Yay, nice to see more art.

There's something about your Vána that I like a lot - maybe her expression which seems young and wise at the same time. Good work!
Old 03-19-2010, 07:41 AM   #11
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I can't paint or draw well, but I do love to create textile art. Here's my "Tree and Leaf", inspired by Tolkien's short works "Smith of Wootton Major" and "Leaf by Niggle". It's an appliqued collage of commercial fabrics (with a photo print of Tolkien on both objects), overlayed with a sheer fabric to represent the fragile, slightly askew relationship between Faerie and the real world.

'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:35 AM   #12
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Answering the request...

I thought I never draw anything Tolkien-related but then remembered I have at least this. So here's a few years old sketch of Legolas and Gimli in Helm's Deep. Sorry for the horrible quality of the photo, my camera sucks and the paper was dirty anyhow. You should get the idea, though... And sorry about the monstrous size also, I tried to make it smaller, I actually did, but apparently BD doesn't understand Photobucket or something.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:22 AM   #13
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Well Estelyn, I can claim some skill in drawing but I just cannot understand how someone can make something so beautiful out of textiles... I absolutely suck at everything like that. So I guess we each have our strengths and weaknesses...

Greenie, nice that you shared. I've always liked that picture. But the size is not monstrous at all - it's quite small, like three or four times the size of your avvie.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:12 AM   #14
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Greenie, nice that you shared. I've always liked that picture. But the size is not monstrous at all - it's quite small, like three or four times the size of your avvie.
Yeah, Greenie, can you make it bigger?

And nice work everyone! *goes on a repping spree*
Old 03-20-2010, 07:24 AM   #15
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Ummm... the preview showed it as monstrously big, I've no idea how it ended up being so small I can try making it bigger, though!
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:26 AM   #16
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Great artwork, all!

My contribution is a mug that I painted (pictures attached), which you can't really relate to Tolkien from the first look. However, when I painted them, I was thinking about Elbereth and Yavanna (randomly). You'll see the resemblance.

PS: it's really not as bad as it looks on the pictures.

PPS: and I'm currently working on a Lalaith dol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1488 (Small).JPG (19.3 KB, 544 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1489 (Small).JPG (16.1 KB, 512 views)
Old 03-22-2011, 06:30 AM   #17
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Theoden

My version of Theoden.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Theoden 2.jpg (17.6 KB, 551 views)
Old 03-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #18
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Here's some of my mediocre Middle-earth drawings.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZN5ha1x9Of...ddleEarth1.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-t...0/anduril1.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-h...0/aragorn1.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-r...00/balrog1.jpg

Last edited by Gwathagor; 03-22-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Gwathagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #19
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Wow, Gwath! Your drawings are amazing!
Old 03-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #20
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Oh, looks like I stuck the same link in twice.

*edits*
Old 03-22-2011, 03:12 PM   #21
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Well done Gwath.....someone else who has the guts to draw a Balrog without wings, Ted Nasmith doesn't include them either.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:57 PM   #22
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
PPS: and I'm currently working on a Lalaith dol.
To stick pins into?
/kidding, that mug is lovely.

narfforc, your Théoden is spot on! Just how I imagine him.
And I like Gwath's balrog too.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #23
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
To stick pins into?
Haha. That wouldn't be advisable, though, since it's made of paper-clay (this weird material that I haven't heard of before that's somewhere in the middle between clay and play-dough). Pretty hard to stick a pin into when it dries!

Quote:
/kidding, that mug is lovely.
Aw, thanks!
Old 03-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #24
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

You guys got me addicted! Now, instead of reading in class, I doodle LOTR, The Sil, COH, and TH stuff on a random piece of paper... It's not that great, but I'll try to get some pictures on here sometime... maybe tomorrow.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #25
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

So here are the promised pictures. My scanner doesn't want to work, and my camera doesn't like me. Both are doing their best to prevent me from posting proper images.

Hopefully I'll be able to attach the document with the pictures. I also included blurbs for each one explaining what it's about.

Edit: I see the attachment didn't work. Maybe the file is too big, but it doesn't say anything about size. Just says that the link is invalid.

I'll try to get it on soon.

Why did my computer take the side of the camera and the scanner?

EDIT 2: Third attempt to attach the file, this time in 2 separate documents... and failed again. Fourth attempt - resorting to Paint... still doesn't work. I feel like smashing my computer against the wall a few times.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by Galadriel55; 03-25-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:00 PM   #26
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quadruple-posting... :D

I don't kow why I couldn't attach the images here, but it worked a different way. I created this website just for the sake of putting the pictures on. It's nothing pretty, but it's good enough. To get to the pictures, you click on where it says "Art" on the left. Enjoy!

PS: it might take a while for the pictures to load.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #27
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I added more pictures to the website, again because thy wouldn't load here: "Three Elven Rings", "The One Ring", "Galadriel", and "Eowyn and Faramir" (This one ended up in the middle of the page somehow)
Old 07-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #28
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

The long-promised Lalaith doll... that does not look like Lalaith at all. There's still lots to fix (I'm working on a stand for her, and then I need to find hair gel strong enough to hold down her hair, etc)...

http://s1206.photobucket.com/albums/...t=DSCN2264.jpg

http://s1206.photobucket.com/albums/...3DDSCN2263.jpg
Old 07-30-2011, 11:22 AM   #29
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
The long-promised Lalaith doll... that does not look like Lalaith at all.
Oh, I think it does. She's so sweet and innocent in that eyelash-batting way at first sight, but if you look at her long enough, you can see wicked Little Carcharoth peeping out of those big green eyes, looking for another butterfly to kill. Are you going to make a goose companion for her?
Old 07-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #30
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Oh, I think it does. She's so sweet and innocent in that eyelash-batting way at first sight, but if you look at her long enough, you can see wicked Little Carcharoth peeping out of those big green eyes, looking for another butterfly to kill.
in 3D!

Quote:
Are you going to make a goose companion for her?
I'm probably being thick, but I don't get the reference.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #31
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Well, erm... Lalaith and geese, you know, nudge nudge, say no more, wink wink? No?
Time to re-read this, then.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:47 PM   #32
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Well, erm... Lalaith and geese, you know, nudge nudge, say no more, wink wink? No?
Time to re-read this, then.
There was a lot about Maedhros and Morgoth. Some things about butterflies. Turin, Hurin, Morwen, Nienor, and of course, Lalaith. A list of people who are related to them. But I don't remember any geese.

Whatever.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:44 PM   #33
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The modern day version of Edoras: horses, wind, rolling plains =)
LadyBrooke is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to LadyBrooke
Quote:
There was a lot about Maedhros and Morgoth. Some things about butterflies. Turin, Hurin, Morwen, Nienor, and of course, Lalaith. A list of people who are related to them. But I don't remember any geese.

Whatever.
You don't remember the mutant geese that could turn into ponies? You can refresh your memory, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here or here, for Urwen's plans involving the geese.

Or, you can check here, here, here, here, or here, for mocking of the geese.

More serious discussion here and here.

Lastly, a view of how the thread went for the first few pages (including geese) here!

That was 15 minutes I'll never get back....hopefully, the links work all right.

Somebody needs to make a guide to the Did Maedhros Kill Laughter thread...cross referenced, so we can all laugh at it.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:27 AM   #34
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I'm definitely gonna make a goose now!!!