The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2009, 06:22 AM   #1
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Viggo to Quit?

I see the latest story in the film world is that Viggo Mortensen is threatening not to make any more films, as his health is suffering from all the travel involved.

So, will The Road be his last film? I can see why it may have finished him off, the book almost put me off reading for life, it was that disturbing.

Will he return after a nice break to play Aragorn in The Hobbit? Do we even need Aragorn in The Hobbit? I'm sure the film makers will be wanting him in there. But he would have been just nine or ten years old! That's not stopping internet speculation however, so how about some here too...
Old 09-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
I see the latest story in the film world is that Viggo Mortensen is threatening not to make any more films, as his health is suffering from all the travel involved.

So, will The Road be his last film? I can see why it may have finished him off, the book almost put me off reading for life, it was that disturbing.
Perhaps he'll do a Daniel Day-Lewis and work as a shoemaker for several years before returning to acting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Will he return after a nice break to play Aragorn in The Hobbit? Do we even need Aragorn in The Hobbit? I'm sure the film makers will be wanting him in there. But he would have been just nine or ten years old! That's not stopping internet speculation however, so how about some here too...
I can't see the reason why Aragorn would be a part of the planned Hobbit movie, he really had nothing to do with the White Council's actions against the Necromancer. And it'll be mighty tough to get Viggo to look 60 years younger, in any case.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

I've read the book, and I've heard a bit about the movie...and from the looks of things, I wouldn't really be surprised if Viggo had to take a break from acting for a while after all that. Also, I think I read somewhere that he went straight from another movie into working on The Road. Doing two movies in a row would be hard in any case, but perhaps especially so given the intensity of TR.

He never goes for the easy roles, and this one is no exception--it looks very physically and emotionally demanding, so I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted a break after all that. He also seems to have a lot on his plate with art, photography, writing...he's a busy guy and maybe he needs some time off for his health and so that he can pursue some of his other passions. Kudos to him for having the smarts to do what's right for himself--I think acting can be a difficult business to leave or even take a break from.

I do hope he does do a DDL, like Morothon suggested. I really like his work and it would be a shame for him to just completely stop for good.

I don't think The Hobbit, as it stands right now, needs an Aragorn, and to include him would be a mistake. He'd be needed for a bridge film, but that's not what TH2 is going to be, so I can't see the need of an Aragorn at all, especially not one played by Viggo. I could see the filmmakers trying to work him in as a child, but since I don't think that Rivendell's going to have any part to play at all, it would be pretty hard to justify.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I think this made me love Viggo even more than all the great characters and roles he winds up playing.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
sassyfriend
Wight

sassyfriend has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Poor guy I hope he's ok! I haven't been feeling well for a couple weeks myself and resting is the best thing anyone can do when they feel lousy.
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote