The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-16-2010, 07:41 PM   #41
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Quote:
Actually, that does make sense, and it's something I'd never considered before. But...then the village would know, if an evil person comes back, they're still evil. So might have to think more about that.
hmm, hadn't thought of that either....that makes it difficult.

Perhaps keep the hunter!wolf, but no innocent hunter. Then get rid of the unicorn!wolf and keep the innocent unicorn, and make it so that only an innocent can come back. That balances it, the hunter!wolf dies and takes someone down, the innocent unicorn dies and brings someone back, and if it only applies for innocents then we won't have to worry about allignment.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:48 PM   #42
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
hmm, hadn't thought of that either....that makes it difficult.

Perhaps keep the hunter!wolf, but no innocent hunter. Then get rid of the unicorn!wolf and keep the innocent unicorn, and make it so that only an innocent can come back. That balances it, the hunter!wolf dies and takes someone down, the innocent unicorn dies and brings someone back, and if it only applies for innocents then we won't have to worry about allignment.
Hmm. This is a possibility. *ponders*
Old 03-17-2010, 08:21 AM   #43
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I like the way it's shaping. (But I still think it'd be better if we had more players. So join, all you ninnies who are just stalking this thread! )
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #44
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Okay, I am not so keen on too extraordinary games, but if this is made balanced somehow, I could play

That said, I have played in SpM's game with a ton of wolves in different packs and it was fun, however it didn't have any special rules apart from that... Here, for instance the Lovers are somewhat troubling. If you asked me about one thing which I'd suggest to be removed, it would be that and also the Cursed, as that's an immense advantage for the WWs. Really, Cursed out. The Cobbler gives and advantage too, but I think it can be fun enough with this first-dreamt of determination of taking sides in the pack war. For that matter, what if we changed the Wolf-Seers altogether and just changed them to Cobbler-seekers, i.e. they will just send one name each Night and they would be only told "negative" (the target was not the Cobbler) or "positive" (the target was the Cobbler and now they can PM with him and he is their ally - possibly, if he isn't claimed already by the other team). That would power down the Gifted Wolves, but still retain one aspect of it.

I definitely agree with the idea of making only innocent people return from the dead, as wilwa suggested.

As for the Lovers - it's not such a bad idea in itself, but I think it will be hard for them to survive. Unless they would be an exception to the rule of Unicorning, i.e. that they'd be possible to resurrect, but they would keep their Loverism after that (i.e. they could return even as Wolves or whatnot, but on top of that they would still be Lovers). And the other Lover would, of course, in that case not die, at least not immediately, he/she could either live for let's say one more Day (and hope that an Unicorn gets lynched/killed to resurrect his/her mate), or even live further on without any problem, and just hope that one day the other lover would be revived - until the game ends. Lovers would, of course, have to be shown as innocents in the list of dead in such a case, at least until the time when they'd both be gone. I would remove their revenge kills. There are too many kills already. Honestly. Unless you want the game to end in two days (not necessarily even Days), in which case you could just as well add more Hunters.

But in general, really, Mods, I suggest you to just sit down and simulate it. Try to make different situations. Think about it. That's the best way to do it.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #45
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
The Cobbler gives and advantage too, but I think it can be fun enough with this first-dreamt of determination of taking sides in the pack war. For that matter, what if we changed the Wolf-Seers altogether and just changed them to Cobbler-seekers, i.e. they will just send one name each Night and they would be only told "negative" (the target was not the Cobbler) or "positive" (the target was the Cobbler and now they can PM with him and he is their ally - possibly, if he isn't claimed already by the other team). That would power down the Gifted Wolves, but still retain one aspect of it.
I think this is rather brilliant.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #46
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Simulation has been run. A solution has been found. However, I have not been able to contact Hakon to tell him, so please hang on until I can get confirmation.

The Seer!wolves can't see gifteds. As we are probably cutting the Cobbler (again, awaiting confirmation) they are mostly for sniffing out the other pack. The Cursed is one of the topics currently under modly debate, and it is possible it may be cut. The Lovers will be kept but they will not have a revenge kill. The Unicorns will revive ordos who used to be Innocents. This is hopefully what will happen, but no final decision as of yet.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:50 PM   #47
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Rules have been updated. Cursed and Cobbler have been cut, as has the revenge kill and the anti-lover/Seer!wolf pms. Because of the cuts, the game works with fourteen players...so we'll start pretty soon, if Nog and Boro can still play.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:44 AM   #48
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
Rules have been updated. Cursed and Cobbler have been cut, as has the revenge kill and the anti-lover/Seer!wolf pms. Because of the cuts, the game works with fourteen players...so we'll start pretty soon, if Nog and Boro can still play.
Looks like there are still references to the Cobbler and the Anti-Lover PMs.

Quote:
The Seer!wolves receive one dream every Night. If the Seer!wolf dreams of the cobbler or anti-lover, they may pm. If the Seer!wolf dreams of a rival wolf, they are only told that the player is a wolf, not their gift. If the Seer!wolf dreams of a gifted, they are told what the gift is.
Also, for clarification:

Quote:
Wolves. Six of 'em. Three to a pack. Each pack of wolves consists of a Seer!wolf and a Ranger!wolf, and either a WereUnicorn or a Ranger!wolf. The wolf packs can not share victory with each other or with the innocents.
The way I interpret this, each pack will have: 1 Seer!wolf, 1 Ordo!wolf, and either a Ranger!wolf or a WereUnicorn. Right? Otherwise, the way it reads would indicate one pack would have 2 Ranger!wolves.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #49
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Looks like there are still references to the Cobbler and the Anti-Lover PMs.

~~~

The way I interpret this, each pack will have: 1 Seer!wolf, 1 Ordo!wolf, and either a Ranger!wolf or a WereUnicorn. Right? Otherwise, the way it reads would indicate one pack would have 2 Ranger!wolves.
Please excuse me while I go bang my head against the wall for a few minutes.

The second Ranger!wolf was supposed to be Hunter!wolf. Sowie.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:03 AM   #50
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
if Nog and Boro can still play.
I really can't commit myself as much as usually, but if that's okay I'll play.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #51
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I really can't commit myself as much as usually, but if that's okay I'll play.
inactive Nogrod = an active person by normal standards
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #52
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
inactive Nogrod = an active person by normal standards
*chokes on drink* Hehe. Like you're ever quiet.

*bounces*

I'm excited to start! Is it time yet? ^_^
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #53
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

It is - or it will be in four and a half hours. I'll start randomizing and sending out roles.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #54
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
It is - or it will be in four and a half hours. I'll start randomizing and sending out roles.
Whee! *dances about the place*
Old 03-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #55
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Roles have been sent out. All you pm-capable folk, you can start pming early. I'll have the game thread up soon.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:20 AM   #56
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I know I'm usually annoyingly active but I might to quiet this game... a lot of stuff going on. Then again probably I'll forget about that.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #57
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

After looking at my work schedule I'm warning everyone in advance the first few days will see limited activity from me. The way the DL falls fits horribly into when I work so for Day 1 & 2 especially I'll probably only have a few hours to really sit down and play. Sorry work gets in the way of what's really important.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #58
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Apologies for the non-vote. I just couldn't get to a computer at all during the latter half of the Day.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:23 AM   #59
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Crap, sorry. I failed to watch the clock. My apologies.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #60
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Unamused!Sally is unamused. That is all.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:47 PM   #61
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Announcement!!

ToDay will start and end fifteen minutes early. That is all for now.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #62
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Important announcement

As Little Lottie said, I'll be calling the Day toDay. However, I have to leave an hour or so beforehand to go see one of my youth girls in the school play, so I'll need all picks before then. That means I'll need everything in in the next two hours or less. Sorry I forgot to mention it last night; I was the teensiest bit distracted. Thanks very much everyone! ^_^

~~Sally~~