The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-01-2003, 01:57 PM   #1
Stairway_to_Page

Sting New to the game...

Ok well I'm new here and well I haven't actually ready any of the LotR Books but ive seen the movies and ive been reading all about the books and other works on the internet at various sites (this one included) and im very intrested in readin them.. but im just not sure where to start.. with what book?.. Hobbit or Fellowship or what..
also.. are the books hard to comprehend as in, are the way they are written make it hard to understand whats going on or what?... Help please
Old 07-01-2003, 02:07 PM   #2
Meoshi
Wight

Meoshi has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Start with the Hobbit. It gives background to the LotR series.
Meoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 02:50 PM   #3
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Hobbit I wouldn't call a groundwork so much as a prologue, but it is a good place to start. If you find the writing too childish, well, just try to get through it and trust me the mood and style of writing in LotR is much different. If you still feel up to it, you can then tackle the Silmarillion and any other of Tolkien's works or his son's editions!

[ July 01, 2003: Message edited by: Lord of Angmar ]
Old 07-01-2003, 02:52 PM   #4
Meoshi
Wight

Meoshi has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Personally, I would read the History of Middle-Earth series dead last.
Meoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 02:52 PM   #5
Maylin
Haunting Spirit

Maylin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maylin
Sting

didnt u start another thread like this? Your original was moved to the novice and newcomers. I, like about everyone else, suggest u start with The Hobbit, THough you'll be ok if start with FOTR
Maylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 03:12 PM   #6
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

start with the hobbit and Jimmy Page rocks hehe
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 03:31 PM   #7
Stairway_to_Page

Sting

well actually I started 2 threads, one here and one in the newbie section, since the 1st one wasnt gettin many responses I made this one in just the general section, and yes Jimmy Page does rock
Old 07-01-2003, 03:41 PM   #8
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

You might want to check if there are any other threads with suggested book lists on them, because there probably are a couple others out there. There's no point in creating a duplicate threads. Just use the search function at the top portion of the page.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 06:05 PM   #9
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I know I've posted on this before in another thread, but in the helping spirit, here's my opinion as to the order you should read the books.

1. Hobbit
2. Lord of the Rings
3. Silmarillion
4. Unfinished Tales
5. A Biography (any of them, you'll probably want a background if you desire to continue onward towards the HoME books.)
6. Letters (you can read them all at once, or selectively as you feel the need)
7. History of Middle-Earth (the book of lost tales is similiar in parts to the Silmarillion, after that you get a lot of interesting background info through unpublished drafts and such. I have not yet completed any single HoME book)
8. Other novels, including Roverandom, Leaf by Niggle, Mr. Bliss, etc. (by now you've completed all material on Middle-Earth. Now you move on to the real world in step 9)
9. Professional Works, including Beowulf: the Monsters and the Critics, and other lesser known titles. (this step is completely optional, and depends greatly on one's own love of language which has been developed through reading Tolkien. These titles are also quite rare, and I have not yet been able to find any of them so far.)

Enjoy your pursuits!

Iarwain
Old 07-01-2003, 08:23 PM   #10
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I'm going to agree with what Iarwain said. Though personally, I'd make one alteration, and move the History of Middle-earth up underneath Unfinished Tales. That's just me, though.

Abedithon le,

Aranel
Old 07-02-2003, 01:28 AM   #11
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

I'm sorry, but we don't really need two threads with the same question, and this is indeed a topic that has been discussed many times before. I'm moving this thread to the Novices and Newcomers forum, since it is not an advanced book discussion. The previous thread with the same question was closed for the simple reason that the question was answered...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 11:13 AM   #12
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Eye

Tolkien's style of writing can be difficult to understand at times, but once you get used to it, it's pretty easy. Sort of like Shakespeare, but much easier. And even if you have a lot of trouble understanding something, you can always ask us as the Downs. We're usually more than happy to help people.