The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-06-2006, 01:26 PM   #1
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Tol-in-Gaurhoth XXVI - Úcenite Valto - Planning and Discussion Thread

Quote:
I have within my mind a special game of Tol-in-Gaurhoth. One wherein the only importance is of play; of deduction, of self-reliance and of strategy. Of team work, and of betrayal. Of using your wits to win a game of thought. Of working together and working alone. A game wherein nothing is given to you but time. A game where every choice made is your own. I have hand picked you all to play in a game built specifically for you, to be played at a time most convenient for you as a group.

I would have you all, if you would consent. What say you?

-Feanor-
Welcome all to the organization and planning thread of my latest pet project.

A number of you have been invited for play in this. Pending whim, several more will join your ranks before we begin.

I will update the player list as positions are confirmed.

Game details will, as they have been thus far, remain within the keeping of myself and one other whose identity will remain a secret for his own safety. They will be announced officially at the beginning of the game.

Some of you know more than others. Quite frankly, I don't remember who knows what. But you're welcome to chat amongst yourselves and share thoughts up 'til roles are sent out. Eru knows you'll need all the help you can get.

Confirmed players may use this thread to ask questions, discuss theories for the game, and whatever else werewolf-related springs to mind.

---

Confirmed Players:

mormegil
Anguirel
the phantom
Roa_Aoife
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Kath
littlemanpoet
The Saucepan Man
Mithalwen
Estelyn Telcontar
Diamond18
Nogrod
Boromir88

---

Game Thread

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 11-12-2006 at 12:48 AM.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:21 PM   #2
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
But you're welcome to chat amongst yourselves and share thoughts up 'til roles are sent out. Eru knows you'll need all the help you can get.

Confirmed players may use this thread to ask questions, discuss theories for the game, and whatever else werewolf-related springs to mind.
Well, then let's get this thing going.

Ang, morm, Roa- have anything to share?

All I know is that Fea had a big hand in designing the game, which means it will be borderline insane and likely to be very bloody and will probably end lopsided because Fea will favor one side with the rules just to be evil.

And I also suspect that Fea will make me a WW and then strongly encourage everyone to vote for me on day 1 by making one of the game rules- "If tp is still alive on Day 2 the Wolves automatically win". The main reason she'll do this to me is to get me into the Fenris Wolf siggy club.

Yes, yes... I'm onto you Fea!
Old 11-06-2006, 09:39 PM   #3
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
Yes, yes... I'm onto you Fea!
Clever boy.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:14 PM   #4
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
No seer, correct?

Phantom, it's been a while since we last played. I look forward to it. The only thing I can suspect from this game is the unexpected so I know not where to begin, though I do hope that the wolves are randomized as I would actual believe what the phantom said.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:44 PM   #5
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Quote:
No seer
That would be typical Fea. In Werewolf 4 she was an innocent villager and said this-
Quote:
Our gifted villagers are a perk, nothing more. They are just as expendable as anyone else. So what if the Seer dies?
She obviously doesn't care much for Seers.
Quote:
Phantom, it's been a while since we last played. I look forward to it.
I do, as well.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:24 AM   #6
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I've always believed that the main benefit of Gifteds is psychological. And narrative. But not really practical. Villages have survived without a Seer; it takes a truly skilled Ranger to make any saves; and a truly skilled Hunter to be a help not a hindrance...

Still, I do like Rangers. Being a Ranger is second only in entertainment value to being a Wolf Lover...

Back to the subject...I'm afraid I know no arcane secrets.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:56 PM   #7
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I see Eomer has been added to the list. Honestly, I was surprised not to see him on there right off the bat.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:43 AM   #8
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

I think, given my lack of reliability on the RPGs, Fea was unsure as to whether I still existed, and so exercised caution before getting your hopes up.

I am very interested in this Seer-business.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:58 PM   #9
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I see Kath has been added. Welcome, m'dear.

So Fea, any chance we will see lmp?

And please tell me SPM and Kuru will be coming to the party.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:32 AM   #10
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Nice to be here.

Looks like lmp is already with us.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:10 AM   #11
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP
And please tell me SPM and Kuru will be coming to the party.
Well, I had intended to hang up my Werewolfing boots for quite some time, but I felt compelled to make an exception in this case.

The player list so far, not to mention the mysterious nature of the game and the fact that Fea is modding are really rather irresistible.

I am, however, somewhat out of practice, so please be gentle with me.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:16 AM   #12
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
I felt compelled to make an exception in this case.
And I am so very glad you did...
Old 11-09-2006, 01:11 PM   #13
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

lmp has joined! I knew it.

And I got half of my SPM-Kuru wish.

I'm out of practice too, Sauce, so don't worry. You won't be the only one struggling to regain form.

*gasp*

Kate Beckin- er, I mean Mith has joined! Well, well, my old gaffer always said I was born lucky.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:47 AM   #14
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Ah, this is lovely.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:00 AM   #15
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Since so many of the original dozen have returned I am hoping for a return to the form I showed in that game and never regained ..I picked two wolves in the first game and a total of two since... dismal..... ah well ..

And Phantom - you are adorable but Kate B is very wide of the mark Alas for me ....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:17 AM   #16
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Esty making a comeback too, goodness...Fea's persuasion knows no limit...

Shall we pick roles and all that sort of thing? What kind of a village can we expect, I wonder? Maybe a slimmed down back story to emphasise rationality...but I do rather like being an ironmonger or whatever...
Old 11-10-2006, 07:26 AM   #17
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

This game is looking better and better by the day ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang
Maybe a slimmed down back story to emphasise rationality ...
Rationality? In a game run by Fea ...?!
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:43 AM   #18
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quite... I suspect her keeness on me playing is to ensure an element of irrationality... however I am determined to be in accountant mode.. and if I succeed no doubt my unnatural calm and use of statistics will ensure an early trip to the gallows on the grounds of behaving oddly....

Oh well, I will enjoy flirting with the Phantom in the meantime.. do we know when we start?

Old 11-10-2006, 11:31 AM   #19
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
do we know when we start?
I'd hoped for Sunday, but that may be a little too optimistic. Within the next few days, though. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
Shall we pick roles and all that sort of thing?
I'm not sure yet. I know! I'm so non-commital.

I'll let you know before the day's end, though.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 11-10-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:11 PM   #20
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sometimes very persistent birds, early or not, do manage to catch elusive, reluctant worms...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:37 PM   #21
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Eeek! It's the terrifying Esty! How did you ever get up the nerve to send her an invite, Fea?

You can't decide about roles? Interesting. How will you do a narrative with no roles?

Knowing you, you probably haven't even decided if you're going to have wolves or not.

And Mith- Kate B is "wide of the mark"? Hmm... now that I think of it I suppose that's true seeing as you're much much smarter than Kate. Mixing the two of you up would be an insult to you.

Any comments on the title, people? Anyone have their list of Elvish root words handy? Or is it an anagram? "Evil taco tune"?
Old 11-10-2006, 07:52 PM   #22
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom
Knowing you, you probably haven't even decided if you're going to have wolves or not.
Now there's a game for you- no wolves, just some random psychopath leaving messages to make the villagers believe it's wolves and then kill each other out of paranoia. Sounds like that old episode of the Twilight Zone. You know, the one where the power goes off in every house except one, just after an alien invasion was announced.... That was a good one.

To my knowledge, it's a barebones, 12 player, 3 werewolf, no holds barred MATCH OF DOOM!!!!!!! I mean, that's how I got talked into this...

As for what Fea will do, it will be the opposite of what we will expect, which will now be the opposite of what we weren't expecting. The whole game will be a massive multiple bluff meant to confuse and torture us. There probably won't be any wolves at all- Fea will just randomly kill someone everynight until we go crazy trying to find a connection between them and there are only two of us left and then they will be eaten by the zombies of the other villagers.

So, in conclusion, I'm really looking forward to this.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:28 PM   #23
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
What an astoundingly great crew of players. I'm humbled to be amongst you all. Maybe Fea's going to start each new day with "Assume nothing!" aka ATM. Yeah, no werewolves.

I know why Esty's back. She wants to prove that no-one but she can be 100% successful, and in more than 2 games.

This is going to be a very talkative game. I'm NOT going to be able to keep up.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:36 PM   #24
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
You can't decide about roles? Interesting. How will you do a narrative with no roles?
You'd be surprised. It's more that I was toying with whether or not I wanted the writing freedom or if I wanted to constrain myself plot-wise (more than the format of the game already does this) by working with roles you guys want.

But I'm going to continue with my current idea of mental vacation and leave it up to you. Would you prefer picking your own roles, or shall I merely write what comes to me?

Quote:
If only you knew...

Quote:
Any comments on the title, people?
One comment: it's very applicable.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:22 AM   #25
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
Fea will just randomly kill someone everynight until we go crazy trying to find a connection between them and there are only two of us left and then they will be eaten by the zombies of the other villagers.
Good call, Roa. If she doesn't do it this game, she probably will in the future.

Or how about this-

In this game the wolves win only if they are all lynched! Their goal is to be killed. The village must lynch someone every day, only they try as hard as possible to lynch non-wolves instead of wolves. That sound like something Fea would do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Any comments on the title, people?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
One comment: it's very applicable.
Hee hee. Not that you intended it, but "Úcenite Valto" can be rearranged to spell "taut violence".

Seems applicable.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:45 AM   #26
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
If she doesn't do it this game, she probably will in the future.
You've found me out again. How do you keep doing it?

Quote:
Not that you intended it, but "Úcenite Valto" can be rearranged to spell "taut violence".
Ugh! Can I keep no secrets?
Old 11-11-2006, 03:12 AM   #27
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Úcenite = "not-seeing" (source: quenya lapseparma)

Valto = "luck" (source: ambar-eldaron)

"blind luck/chance" looks like the Quenya definition of the title...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:30 AM   #28
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

The no wolves scenario also occured to me .... but maybe it will be yet more devious.... certainly it won't be dull....

Oh Phantom, really Kate Beckinsale was read languages at Cambridge (or Oxford I forget.. so she probably is brighter than me.... maybe I should have said I am wider than Kate B .. which is certainly true alas....

Old 11-11-2006, 11:16 AM   #29
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

"Blind luck", eh Esty?

You know what that means. Everyone polish your coins, cause we're going to be doing some flipping.

But why, I wonder? Perhaps the gifts (ranger, hunter) and the curses (werewolves) switch people every night randomly, so the same person is usually not a wolf two days in a row. So when we lynch someone who has the werewolf curse, we haven't actually found someone who's been a WW all along- we've merely found a person who just happened to be one on that day, and eliminated one of the three WW curses that is bouncing around in the village.

And you're just trying to be modest, Mith. I know better.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:18 AM   #30
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
phantom, if that isn't Fea's plan for the game, I sincerely suggest you mod one yourself in the new future and implement it because it sounds like a fantastic idea.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:33 AM   #31
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Maybe next summer, Kath.

And I just noticed Di has been added. In the words of Magneto, "Welcome to the brotherhood".
Old 11-11-2006, 12:00 PM   #32
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

From the list of players, I think it's safe to say this will be the noisiest game of werewolf since Deuling Wizards. Let's see if we can't get 4 pages by the end of Day 1.

Blind Luck? Sweet! That's how I always win!

Old 11-11-2006, 12:38 PM   #33
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
I think it's safe to say this will be the noisiest game of werewolf since Deuling Wizards. Let's see if we can't get 4 pages by the end of Day 1.
We'll see. I think it might depend on the rules. If the rules allow for lots of strategy talk, then we will see the fourth page easily, but if the rules negate strategy and exclusively promote "blind luck", then we won't have much to say.

On the issue of not having a Seer, it seems to me that there must be a WW weakness to balance this. For villages have a history of losing even with a Seer. Without a Seer the deck is stacked against the village in a huge way unless the WWs also have something taken away from them.

Perhaps they aren't allowed to pm with each other except through a mod, and they don't know the identities of their fellow wolves?

Or perhaps there is only one WW?!

Now that would be insane. There'd be no way to identify him/her with votes because there would be no fellow wolves to work with. And take away the Seer and there is no way at all to spot the lone WW. It would indeed be blind luck.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:47 PM   #34
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Wasn't Magneto the bad guy?

Old 11-11-2006, 01:09 PM   #35
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Wasn't Magneto the bad guy?
Pyro: They say you're the bad guy.
Magneto: Is that what they say?
Old 11-11-2006, 06:22 PM   #36
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I might say that the presence of a Seer is a threat for the werecreatures, but nothing more if the Seer is not actually "gifted" in her/his role or just pure lucky.

But the ranger I see more of a threat to the wolves and a balancing factor in the games. With a ranger around the wolves need to be careful with their picks and that really slows them down...

So if we are to limit the gifteds, why don't we just have a ranger (or two) without a seer? That might be different and fun and interesting!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:51 PM   #37
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
On the issue of not having a Seer, it seems to me that there must be a WW weakness to balance this.
Judging by all of his questions, you'd think he doesn't trust me.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:04 PM   #38
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I don't, sweetie. After a few games of WW you lose the ability to trust.

Not that I'd trust you anyway.

And welcome to the party, Nogrod.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:07 PM   #39
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
sweetie
I should kill you first night.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:09 PM   #40
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

NOGROD! *glomp*

I was hoping you'd be here, if for no other reason than that I need someone to distrust immediately, and argue with until one of us dies.

As for gifteds, I'm sure Fea knows what she's doing.... *gulp*

Someone will probably be gifted and none of us will know it. And then they'll come forward and we'll call them liars and lynch them. Or there will be two seers and one is a wolf! Dear God, Fea, you ARE diabolical!

I disbelieve the illusion!