The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2011, 07:41 PM   #681
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
1420!

As on Skype, thus on the Downs: happy dëathdäy, Eönwë!
Old 12-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #682
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Happy deathday Eonwe! I wish you to rot soundly on!
Old 01-18-2012, 04:54 AM   #683
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Last week was my 10th anniversary on the Downs - and we have a new film to look forward to this year, so no end is in sight!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:36 AM   #684
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Last week was my 10th anniversary on the Downs - and we have a new film to look forward to this year, so no end is in sight!
Oh my! Ten years, that is absolutely incredible! Ugh, I only now realised that the 'Downs is already over 10 years old... all the time I keep thinking that it is still "just the 2000's", while it's already the 2010's...
And that is scary, too. But then again, aren't Barrow-Downs supposed to be scary?

Happy deathday, Esty!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:26 AM   #685
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
1420!

Happy deathday Esty! 10 years is quite a date - and as you said yourself, will not be the last one. Here's for 10 more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Oh my! Ten years, that is absolutely incredible!
Seconded!

Quote:
Ugh, I only now realised that the 'Downs is already over 10 years old...
We're ancient. Another couple decades and we'll reach the hobbit age of maturity...
Old 01-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #686
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Congratulations, quite an achievement.

Do you think the new film, will result in a host of new members and perhaps a revitalization of the forum?

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #687
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:

Happy Day of Death, Esty! May you rot for decades to come.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #688
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Thanks, ya'll! To speculate on Rune's question (only Malbeth could *answer* it), I hope so! I know that numerous book fans got together online after the LotR movies came into the theatres, and I think there may be people who see the Hobbit movies and want to discuss them (and subsequently the books) with others.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #689
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Quote:
Grats a bunch to be sure

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #690
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting Tenthennial extravaganza

Quote:
That must mean that it was mine too. Happy deathday to both of us. In celebration I've gone back to my original avatar and as much of my original signature as the forum will still allow. Oh, and the sword that I used to use because it was the default post icon.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #691
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Wowsers, Esty! Felicitations and cake!
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #692
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Happy deathday Squatter!

I just thought... it's a scary coincidence that you seemed to die again just, well, now...
Old 04-29-2012, 11:15 PM   #693
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Two days late, but whatever: I'M DEAD! Oh, the horror...
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #694
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Happy Deathday, BG!
Old 05-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #695
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Happy deathday BeiGei!
Old 05-21-2012, 03:45 AM   #696
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Eight years dead today..whatever did I do before?...anyway there will be cake later....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #697
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

1420! To the next eight! And then eighty-eight!

Happy deathday Mith! Eight whole years of dedicated posting! You've made every single post count!

(And that's with almost a thousand posts per year, so that's a lot of counting! )

During those eight years that you've been dead you've added so much to the Downs with your cheerful personality - and let us not forget the post-count :P. It would not be the same without this wonderful wight. Blessed is this day, eight years ago, that you've joined this forum!

*presents Mith with a virtual cake*
Old 05-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #698
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Lol cheerfully embracing grumpy old bagdom maybe. Bit worried about the post count actually since I don't want to be the one to displace the Pan Man. Nor am I sure about the quality -for a long time my most repped post ever boiled down to "I like cats" Does occur that maybe I should mark the occasion by finally posting on Canonicity.... I may be gone some time...

Old 06-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #699
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
As of today, I have been dead for nine years.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #700
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Congratulations on your ninth death day....

Old 06-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #701
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Congrats, Menel!
Old 06-26-2012, 04:07 AM   #702
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Feeling old reading this page. Congratulations all. I, as is tradition, forgot my deathday again this year - and it was the big 1-0.

Who would have guessed that teenaged imbecile would still be hanging around so far into the future?
Old 06-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #703
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Congrats, Eomer! Happy anniversary?

I feel so new reading this page.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #704
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Five years, and I'm still not a veteran.
Congrats on your decrepitude, Eomer!
Old 06-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #705
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Not a veteran? Well, depends to whom, I guess. Congratulations, Morth!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #706
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Not a veteran? Well, depends to whom, I guess. Congratulations, Morth!
Thanks, G55, but you have to understand, there are some wights here nearly from the previous century.

That's some really moldering cadavers!
Old 07-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #707
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Oops...

*checks watch*

Six months late on my original intention of my making some mention of my own crossing into the ranks of those who have been posting here ten years because I...sort of forgot.

Oh well, I suppose such slips are permitted (unavoidable even) to those who have reached my age and...eccentricity.

Still its kinda weird thinking its been ten years since I signed up to the Downs.

I mean, it can't really have been that long...can it..?

Last edited by Kuruharan; 07-27-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #708
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

You're ancient, Kuru! Congratulations!
Old 07-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #709
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Thanks!

Err...wait a minute...
Old 08-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #710
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
As melodramatic as it might be to say: I died on August second 2007 and my life has never been the same. These past five years have been the most eventful and important years of my life. I have discovered more and more bits about my personality and that is at least partially because of the 'Downs. I haven't posted a lot for a year or two, but I still love it here.
... I just can't believe it has been this long and I am only eighteen years old.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #711
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Happy anniversary, TeaGEW! We all love you despite your low participation lately!

...When I'm going to be rotting for five years I'll also be eighteen. I wonder if I'm going to feel the same way.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:53 AM   #712
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Happy anniversary, TeaGEW! We all love you despite your low participation lately!

...When I'm going to be rotting for five years I'll also be eighteen. I wonder if I'm going to feel the same way.
Thanks. There really hasn't been a whole lot happening on the Downs recently, except for WW, which I am really not all that interested in (please don't lynch me ). I can't say that I really miss the days where I posted more, after all, I have said some pretty silly things.

It is such an odd feeling having the Downs in my life for so long, but only being my age. I do still feel like I am literally sixteen years old (yes, I really mean "literally", not "figuratively"). I should really post more because the Barrow-Downs makes me so happy, but I guess I'll have to start making the effort again.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #713
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I just realized that I missed my 2nd deathday! It's been over a month ago!

It's because whenever I'm on the Downs it feels like I've been here forever and I'll be here forever and it doesn't matter if I go one for another day or two...or year or two.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #714
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
I just realized that I missed my 2nd deathday! It's been over a month ago!

It's because whenever I'm on the Downs it feels like I've been here forever and I'll be here forever and it doesn't matter if I go one for another day or two...or year or two.
Only 2nd? Because really, it feels as if you've been around much longer! Amazing, in any case, belated happy deathday

Actually, my deathday was 10 days ago, but it's so scary and I refuse to count anymore how manieth it is... I am sure I don't want to know, because I am probably already as "old" as the oldest members were when I joined the 'Downs, and that is something I refuse to accept. *Walks away, whistling "Forever Young"*
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #715
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Only 2nd? Because really, it feels as if you've been around much longer! Amazing, in any case, belated happy deathday
Thanks! Sometimes I feel like an "old-timer" too, but when people from, like, 2002 start talking I feel so new still.

Quote:
Actually, my deathday was 10 days ago, but it's so scary and I refuse to count anymore how manieth it is... I am sure I don't want to know, because I am probably already as "old" as the oldest members were when I joined the 'Downs, and that is something I refuse to accept.
You are, actually. But it only happens once in a deathtime. I think the occurence is quite special. Mine will only be in 2020.

Anyways, happy deathday!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #716
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Eye

Just decided to look at my deathdate, and it is Feb 13th 2003. What chance!

Already in the double digits for me...
Old 02-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #717
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Happy 10th anniversary, Gil!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #718
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I missed my 10th deathday!! I think I read the date as the 1st of July, rather than the 7th of January. Oops!

Anyway, thank you all for being such excellent and admirable Wights. You've put up with my nonsense and stupidity for ten years, here's to another ten! *gets shot in the face by the BWH*
Old 02-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #719
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Happy deathday, Hook!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Anyway, thank you all for being such excellent and admirable Wights. You've put up with my nonsense and stupidity for ten years, here's to another ten! *gets shot in the face by the BWH*
If that's what you get shot for...

...may the BWH have many more reasons to do it again (but pardon you every time)!
Old 05-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #720
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh dear another year gone and not even the foothills of canonicity tackled.. really must do something about that... don't like to welch on a deal. So missed the official anniversary on Tuesday because all I could see of the downs was a load of grids but its restoration to health a source of great joy given how much of the past nine years I have spent here.