The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-07-2002, 01:22 PM   #1
Ibun_Clawarrow
Pile O'Bones

Ibun_Clawarrow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Elrond... What Happened?

Personally, I was horrified to see how Elrond was portrayed in FOTR. He didn't look anything like I imagined, more like he was a Vulcan from Star Trek. While I had problems with the way other characters looked (noticably, Aragon, too young looking), Elrond is the only one I really feel very strongly about. Does anyone else feel like this?
Isil was first wrought and made ready, and first rose into the realms of the stars, and was the elder of the new lights, as was Telperion of the Trees. Then for a while the world had moonlight, and many things stirred and woke that had waited long in the sleep of Yavanna. The servants of Morgoth were filled with amazement, but the Elves of the Outer Lands looked up in delight; and even as the Moon rose above the darkness in the West, Fingolfin let blow his silver trumpets and began his march into Middle Earth, and the shadows of his host went long and black before them.
Ibun_Clawarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 01:52 PM   #2
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Araen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Don't get me started on Elrond.... he just scares me.....
"Where is the horse and the rider, where is the horn that was blowing, they have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow, the days are damned in the west? behind the hills? there are shadows... "
Araen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 02:09 PM   #3
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

actually i watched the matrix about 2 weeks b4 i saw lotr the 2nd time and whenever i looked at elrond, he was so...evil!i meanhe was 2 badguy-esk,if u get me...no?never mind...<BR>most of the characters i thought were portrayed brilliantly tho...<BR>frodo-elijah wood was made to be a hobbit!<BR>merry-not the obvious choice at first sight, but in the film....wow!<BR>pippin-billy boyd was also made to be a hobbit!he was even better a pippin than i could hav imagined,my fave character in the book and film, and his accent gave something extra to it as well.<BR>aragorn-perfect,which i was glad about becoz on the tape he sounds evil!<BR>elrond-*shudder*<BR>arwen-quite good,but to soppy.she didnt seem elfy enough!<BR>sam-good.not big enuff to analyze really.<BR>bilbo-perfect.<BR>gandalf-was givn to big a part.in the book,frodo was quite obviously the main character,buti mean ian mckellan was nominated 4 best leading actor in the BAFTAs!<BR>saruman-great and strong lead baddy.<BR>gimli-ok now dont even get me started.the dwarves annoyed me in the books at the best of times,and in the film it was even worse.<BR>legolas-good.dont mean to start a war,but he seemed to hobble a bit on the snow!1 thing i thought he pulled off very well was the elvish speaking,which he did very well,smoothly and fluently,unlike arwen.gave the aura of elfiness.<BR>boromir-also perfect,exactly how i would hav imagined from the book.<BR>lol<BR>amy
Old 04-07-2002, 02:32 PM   #4
Aroaraniel
Wight

Aroaraniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Aroaraniel
Sting

I agree completely. But even in the books Elrond scared me. He's just plain CREEPY.
Aroaraniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 02:54 PM   #5
Alcarinque
Pile O'Bones

Alcarinque has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Alcarinque
Sting

I thought I was the only one who had pictured Elrond different... I agree he's creepy either way, but he is CREEPIER in the movie (nothng personal against Hugo Weaving, whom I admire) he looks EVIL
Old 04-07-2002, 02:55 PM   #6
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, Elrond was definitely not a "pretty" elf. But I kinda appreciated the difference of him. Hugo Weaving was definitely cast against type, but at least you could tell him apart from the other elves. (Personally, I thought Haldir looked kinda creepy; too polished and neo-nazi-elf for my taste.)<P>P.S. - The fact that Elrond looked kinda like Phil Alvin of the Blasters has nothing to do with my decision. <p>[ April 07, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 02:59 PM   #7
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OK, now I'm probably going to get weird looks, but I really think that Elrond is cute. Especially in armor. You know...guys in uniforms, right???
Old 04-07-2002, 04:14 PM   #8
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Every one did an amazing job. I thought that Elrond looked evil, and I couldn't look at him without thinking of the matrix, and I've only seen the matrix once. Wasn't Boromir supposed to have dark hair?? Merry and Pippin looked and acted to much alike. Aragorn I thought was good, ya, in the books he is 80, but he also lived to be really old, and besides, he is one of the main heros, he had to be cute! Frodo was perfect as was Legolas and Gandalf and Saruman.
Old 04-07-2002, 05:53 PM   #9
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

It was more than just his looks (which, I agree, were too wicked-looking). He was portrayed as being BITTER and ANGRY, not the wise and kindly Elf-Lord of the books.[
Old 04-07-2002, 06:16 PM   #10
Ibun_Clawarrow
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Personally I did see Elrond as being more "pretty". Not quite so battlescarred and more of a benevolent figure. I also thought that Arwen didn't come off well either, but that's another topic. I actually liked the movie, but I'm just a stickler for detail, I guess. This would be a hard movie to make, since the characters are so otherworldly, but oh well.
Isil was first wrought and made ready, and first rose into the realms of the stars, and was the elder of the new lights, as was Telperion of the Trees. Then for a while the world had moonlight, and many things stirred and woke that had waited long in the sleep of Yavanna. The servants of Morgoth were filled with amazement, but the Elves of the Outer Lands looked up in delight; and even as the Moon rose above the darkness in the West, Fingolfin let blow his silver trumpets and began his march into Middle Earth, and the shadows of his host went long and black before them.
Old 04-07-2002, 06:22 PM   #11
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I like Hugo Weaving, and I didn't find him creepy. I thought he had the look of someone with much wisdom.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 10:21 PM   #12
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Yay! I'm not the only one who LIKES ELrond! *thanks Maikadilwen*<BR>I liked Elrond. Probably a lot of you don't like based on the context of The Matrix. I accidentally saw The Matrix on the bus on my way home, and I ended up liking Elrond after thinking so much about LotR.<BR>*compliments the same sentiments to Tigelily*<BR> <p>[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: Neferchoirwen ]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 10:29 PM   #13
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I don't know, I rather liked it that Elrond wasn't pretty - personally the Last Homely House seems a little more homelike for outsiders if all the natives aren't impossibly beautiful. I never pictured Elrond as being particularly pretty, though - not ugly or anything, just more solemn and full of knowledge than anything else. And while I have seen "The Matrix" for some reason or other the Agent Elrond thing didn't bother me at all. Watching the way Weaving acted Elrond took me away from the Agent Smith associations pretty quickly.
Old 04-07-2002, 10:53 PM   #14
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Shield

You know, I didn't like the look of Elrond eather. The first time I saw him I was like <BR>"Oh no! Don't eat me!" I think it was just the hair and makeup. I believe they could have made him look less evil. Maybe by covering up the baggs under his eyes and speaking of eyes, he could have used some tinted conacts! Green would have been good. I just think it was the makup and hair that made him seem sinister.
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 01:19 AM   #15
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually, I thought Elrond was good...I like him, and I think he managed to look very wise and "Elrond-ish". <BR>Though, he does feel a bit creepy, I often think about The Matrix.... <BR>I think most of the actors were just perfect! Especially Ian McKellen, Billy Boyd, Sean Bean, Sean Astin and Orlando Bloom... They looked exactly liked I had imagined Gandalf, Pippin, Boromir, Sam and Legolas. Elijah Wood was very good too. And Haldir! (dunno the actor´s name) Wow.. <BR>But Liv Tyler and Cate Blanchett....nah. They were good, but no more, not how I had imagined Arwen and Galadriel.
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 07:08 AM   #16
Niltaurwen
Pile O'Bones

Niltaurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

i agree with Arwen Ilandris that merry and pippen were too alike i know people who cant tell whos who!! but i liked all the cast exept Galadriel (cate blanchett) i think they did a wonderfull job!! and i love love love lotr!!!!
Old 04-08-2002, 08:08 AM   #17
Haldir
Animated Skeleton

Haldir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Haldir
Sting

I had a problem with Elrond when I've just<BR>seen the movie for the first time, I remembered<BR>him from the Matrix (Agent Smith) and it was<BR>really annoying, but when I've seen it for the<BR>third time, or even the forth time, I was already<BR>used to it and now he seems fit for the role.
Haldir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 02:47 PM   #18
Lomelinde
Haunting Spirit

Lomelinde has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Ack! Leave Elrond alone! I thought he was very well portrayed in the movie. I thought he looked very elvish, even if not incredibly pretty. Oh, and Birdland, I liked Haldir, thank you very much, but the neo-Nazi elf thing made me laugh anyways.
Old 04-08-2002, 03:17 PM   #19
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I liked Elrond in the movie. The only portrayal that I really don't like is that of Arwen. Too many corny lines.
Old 04-08-2002, 05:37 PM   #20
Lhunbelethiel
Wight

Lhunbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked Elrond, too, especially in the armor, when he screams to rally the troops! <P> <P>The eyebrows were a bit Spock-y but I thought he was good.
Old 04-08-2002, 06:55 PM   #21
Vinyamarien
Pile O'Bones

Vinyamarien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey everybody, stop calling Elrond creepy! He isn't!!! Elrond has always been my favourite character in the book and he still is after I saw the movie. Ok, I have to admitt that I was shocked when I heart that Hugo Weaving (who I adore much!) was supposed to play Elrond, cos I was afraid that everybody would think of Agent Smith only. Actually, many people did think of Agent Smith (I was told, when he said "You've but one choice", everybody expected him to add "Mr. Anderson!"), but nonetheless I think Mr. Weaving did a great job! Ok, Elrond was a bit bitter when he talked to Gandalf about the human race, but for god's sake, after some thousand years, allow him some sarcasm!!! And he looked like the perfect wise elf lord when he healed Frodo and did you see his mild smile when he talked to Sam at the end of the council? (This "It seems hard to seperate you from him, even..."- stuff). Damn, I adore Elrond, thanks to Hugo Weaving! <P>Vinya<P>P.S.: Sorry for the bad English, but I'm German and it's pretty late...<p>[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: Vinyamarien ]
Old 04-08-2002, 11:18 PM   #22
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I liked Elrond too. He had the look of someone who had fought ancient battles and seen the world get worse and worse around him. I always imagined of Elrond as Gandalf's contemporary rather than Legolas'. In my opinion Hugo Weaving pulled that off.
Old 04-09-2002, 12:15 AM   #23
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> In my opinion Hugo Weaving pulled that off. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yeah. Hugo Weaving did quite well for Elrond. He was calm in spite of the gravity of the problem, and he was wise in handling the counsel.<P>What I'm curious about Elrond is, how was he as a father to Arwen?
Old 04-09-2002, 03:27 AM   #24
Midgardsormen
Animated Skeleton

Midgardsormen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked Elrond too!! His hair-do was a bit unusual at the council , but I thought he was VERY nice in the battle scenes. Of course, I did not see The Matrix (started to, but decided this was not my kind of movie). I have seen him in other things, but luckily I am one of those people that live myself into movies, and never think about 'the actor'...I might contemplate it afterwards, but not while the movie is playing. I always say Elrond as being very wise and skilled at healing, but he was not a nice warm fuzzy teddybear type
Old 04-09-2002, 07:46 AM   #25
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> did you see his mild smile when he talked to Sam at the end of the council? (This "It seems hard to seperate you from him, even..."- stuff). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>He he, yes and the look on his face when Merry and Pippin suddenly popped up as well. Like, "What, two more? Where did THEY come from???? Sooooo cute. <p>[ April 09, 2002: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]
Old 04-09-2002, 08:50 AM   #26
KingCarlton
Wight

KingCarlton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elrond's was one of the best casting in this movie along with Saruman. The others could have been cast better.<BR>Hugo Weaving is perfect as the elf lord.<BR>Intense, uptight and regal. <BR>Some of you seem to think that all elves should look pretty and dainty. <BR>I beg to differ entirely with that.<P>Know Peace.<P>
Know ye People, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, And the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars.

Hither came Carlton, the King, black haired, bronze hued, mightily thewed, sullen eyed. Sword in hand, a warrior, a destroyer, a conqueror. With gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jewelled thrones of the Earth, under his sandalled feet.
KingCarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 09:57 AM   #27
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

I think they could have chosen someone who had a good deal more hair, or should I say a good deal less forehead. His receding hairline is one of the major flaws in his appearance. <P>Another is his complete lack of a smile. Someone who's lips were in a natural smile instead of a straight line would have helped a lot, too.<P>And Yes, Lomelinde, Birdland can always make me laugh, too.
Old 04-10-2002, 04:54 AM   #28
Midgardsormen
Animated Skeleton

Midgardsormen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

How can you say they should have chosen someone with more hair and a hairline that did not start so far back....they were all wearing wigs, and if the hairline is that far back I would think it was because PJ wanted it that far back. Of course I could be wrong, but I thought the wigmakers could really make any type of wig look real?? Legolas had a MOHAWK under that beautiful blond wig
Old 04-10-2002, 07:53 AM   #29
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Hugo Weaving is perfect as the elf lord.<BR>Intense, uptight and regal. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><I>Exactly</I> what I was thinking, KingCarlton. Somehow I could never visualize Elrond as the genial, benevolent host of Rivendell. The majesty and power and ancient wisdom he seemed to project in the movie awed me and actually caused me to admire him. As for him sounding bitter about Men, as Vinyamarien said, he's seen the race of men decline into weakness. When he said "Men are weak" I too kind of cringed (being of the race of Man) but it's true; there was really no longer a great kingdom with which the Elves could ally themselves, with which they could be wholly one in purpose.<P>Yes, Lhunbelethiel, I loved seeing him in battle! It is also a way to keep him from being seen as the elf-lord who's day is past. To see what he has done and what he knows...it just fills me with awe.<P>And for someone who's been around as long as he had and seen as much pain and grief as he had, I can certainly understand him being somewhat "gloomy." I've read the Silmarillion only once (I'm intending to read it again...but AFTER finals!) but it certainly made <I>me</I> feel a bit gloomy.<P>I don't really know, this is just my two cents. But Elrond never struck me as being creepy; he struck me as majestic, sad, and full of wisdom. I actually liked him a lot!
Old 04-10-2002, 05:30 PM   #30
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Hee hee, whenever I watch <I>The Matrix</I>, I think "And in a few years, this killing machine plays an elf. . ."
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 07:34 PM   #31
Ibun_Clawarrow
Pile O'Bones

Sting

I guess the problem with trying to do a movie like this is that there's no real way you can cast regular people to play indivuduals who are semi-divine (well not really, but I guess on the sliding scale you have Illuvater, the Valar, the Maiar and then the Elves, much closer to the divine than Men). The movie just can't compare to what you imagine in your mind. Speaking of which, the MAD magazine parody of LOTR spoke exactly to this I think. The Galadriel character says something to the extent of, "My name is Goloodriel and I'm the wisest elf on earth! That's why I'm always backlit like someone in a feminine hygiene commercial!" That just speaks to how you can't really get the right effects with a movie (and it's just hilarious!!! At least I think so).
Old 04-10-2002, 07:42 PM   #32
Thinhyandoiel
Wight

Thinhyandoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thinhyandoiel
Thumbs up

Indeed, when I first saw the movie I nearly jumped out my seat when I saw who Elrond was. I <I>did</I> keep expecting to hear "Mr. Anderson" but now, after seeing it a few more times, the roles are reversed! He's no longer Agent Smith, He's Elrond and that's that! Whenever I see the Matrix, I now expect him to say "Mr.Baggins"!! <P>So yeah, I thought Weaving did a superb job! And his Elvish was great! Plus, he did too smile! Like, when he first appeared to Frodo, and he said: "Welcome to Rivendell, Frodo Baggins"<p>[ April 10, 2002: Message edited by: Thinhyandoiel ]
Thinhyandoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 09:10 PM   #33
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Hugo Weaving is perfect as the elf lord.<BR>Intense, uptight and regal. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh, I say Amen to that as well!
Old 04-10-2002, 09:38 PM   #34
Olo Gamwich
Animated Skeleton

Olo Gamwich has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

We've been.... watching you....for quite some time...Mr. Anderson<BR> <- this guy is watching Mr. Anderson
Old 04-12-2002, 05:00 PM   #35
alien270

Sting

I had no problems w/ any of the cast because I saw the movie before I read the books. I guess I could comment better when TTT and ROTK come out. BTW, on the back cover of TTT (the new one w/ Saruman from the movie on the cover) is that a picture of Eowyn? I couldn't figure out who it was and she seems like the most likely choice.
Old 04-13-2002, 04:37 AM   #36
Vinyamarien
Pile O'Bones

Vinyamarien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, the woman between Frodo and Aragorn is Eowyn!
Old 04-13-2002, 08:53 AM   #37
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Don't dis my daddy!!!!!<BR>Hugo was EXCELLENT as Elrond. He nailed the portrayal of one of my favortie characters of LOTR besides Legolas (and I loved Legolas LONG BEFORE Orladno Bloom played him!)!<BR>And no, surpirsingly I did not immediately expect to hear any Matrix-type lines coming from Hugo as he portrayed Elrond.<BR>Way to go Hugo!!!!!
Old 04-17-2002, 03:01 PM   #38
NinjaFerret
Animated Skeleton

NinjaFerret has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NinjaFerret
Sting

Heh. And you all thought "Agent Smith." Go and watch "Priscilla Queen of the Desert." THEN go watch the Matrix. Agent Smith is nothing compared to Hugo Weaving in this flick. Then watch LotR again. You will see Elrond. Don't worry, "Priscilla" will clear up any misconception that Weaving is typecast in ANY movie. Heh heh heh hehhhh... I await your reactions. <P>May your luck exceed the stench of your oxters.
Old 04-17-2002, 03:17 PM   #39
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Sting

He was BRILLIANT in "Priscilla". Just gotta love him....
Old 04-18-2002, 04:24 PM   #40
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OH yeah!!!! He IS a great actor!!!!!