The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-16-2005, 11:45 AM   #41
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurreg
Whether or not Fingolfin would actually attack Feanor is debatable. "To meet someone again" in this context does hold a notion to confront in arms. So when we read that Caesar desired to cross the Adratic as soon as possible to meet Pompey in Asia, it is logical to infer that the former wanted to engage the latter in pitched battle.

But given what we know of Fingolfin's nature and the way Tolkien depicts his "positive" characters, Fingolfin might be simply filled with a desire to accomplish the feat of travelling to Middle Earth even without ships nor Feanor himself. This can be interpreted as him facing an insurmountable challenge and rising to face it.
True, I agree that Fingolfin would not attack Feanor. But, I also don't see them being on the best of terms. What seems more likely is that their meeting would be less than gracious and further strain the uneasy relationship between them. At any rate, it doesn't make Feanor a likely candidate to unify the Noldor.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:43 PM   #42
WarBringer
Wight

WarBringer has just left Hobbiton.
Fingolfin readily allowed himself to be led by Feanor. I do not have the exact quote in front of me, but I believe he said something along the lines of "let no new grief divide, henceforth you lead and I will follow."

Not only that, I believe that many of you do not have a proper grasp of Feanor's personaility. Even those who dislike him (i.e. Galadriel) will follow him. He has power, both verbally and physically, and can inspire the best of the elves to rebel against the very gods. If that doesn't prove that he can unite the Noldor, then nothing will convince you.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:10 PM   #43
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
He has power, both verbally and physically, and can inspire the best of the elves to rebel against the very gods. If that doesn't prove that he can unite the Noldor, then nothing will convince you.
But he did not convince all of the Noldor to follow him. Doubt among them had risen rapidly through their journey about Fëanor. They only didn't turn back because of their pride. After crossing the grinding ice I think that many would never accept Fëanor again. It was only through Fingon rescuing Meadros that they were united. What act would have been performed to attone for Fëanor. It would need to have been Fëanor instigating the act and I don't feel that he would.

Galadriel followed the Noldor but not Fëanor per se. She wanted to leave Valinor and saw her opportunity with Fëanor.

Quote:
the best of the elves
Not in an attempt to argue semantics but the best how? The Vanyar were great in their own right and the Teleri in theirs. I don't know if it is correct to classify the Noldor as the best in using such a blanket statement.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:08 AM   #44
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saurreg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saurreg Send a message via MSN to Saurreg
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarBringer
Fingolfin readily allowed himself to be led by Feanor. I do not have the exact quote in front of me, but I believe he said something along the lines of "let no new grief divide, henceforth you lead and I will follow."

Not only that, I believe that many of you do not have a proper grasp of Feanor's personaility. Even those who dislike him (i.e. Galadriel) will follow him. He has power, both verbally and physically, and can inspire the best of the elves to rebel against the very gods. If that doesn't prove that he can unite the Noldor, then nothing will convince you.
Even if that quote holds true, it was spoken before the burning of the teleri ships that led to great suffering amongst Fingolfin's host. Whether or not Fingolfin would continue to hold such fidelity to his step brother if he encountered the latter on Middle Earth would be debatable. He might not attack Feanor, but fingolfin might not want his flock to be entrusted under the care of someone who had "betrayed" them before.

Feanor was the quintessential demagogue of Tolkien's literature. He must have been extremely charismatic for even those that fear him to be so enticed by his words that the follow.

But how well a demagogue and hold on to power depends on the among of goodwill and popular support he has left. Disappoint the people too many times and even the sweetest words won't buy you their favour.