The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-17-2002, 10:10 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril *TTT - The Battle of Helm's Deep*

How did you like the battle scenes?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 05:38 AM   #2
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I loved the battle at Helm's Deep. I even liked the Elves there. It worked with the movie script. It almost seemed as though it could've been a battle out of <I>The Silmarillion</I>.<BR>The orc contest between Gimli and Legolas did not last as long as in the books, but I am glad that it was in there at all. <BR>I am a little sad that Gimli didn't see the caves, though.<BR>I thought it was great the way PJ showed the Rohirrim preparing for war... the fact that old men and children were preparing to fight... and Legolas and Aragorn's debate about that. It really helped build more relationships and show the importance of winning the battle.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 09:16 AM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Well done! Though not long enough. <P>Would like to see PJ's vision of The Fall of Gondolin.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:57 PM   #4
Rose, the youngest
Pile O'Bones

Rose, the youngest has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rose, the youngest
The Eye

I thought Helm's Deep was the most amazing epic battle sequence I have ever seen! I didn't expect to hear so many humorous lines from Gimli. Like when he told Aragorn to throw him onto the paraphet, but warned him not to tell the elf. LoL! I was rolling!
Old 12-18-2002, 03:02 PM   #5
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

Tigerlily- Remember, there is still an extended DVD to buy within the next year. Do not despair! Hopefully the Caves will be there!
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 03:06 PM   #6
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

But what kind of cinematic battle is it? Like those incredible feudal battle scenes of Akira Kurosawa, truly sublime, or more like that general in Francis Ford Coppola's <I>Apocalypse Now</I> who loves the smell of napalm in the morning because it smells like victory?<P>Bethberry
Old 12-18-2002, 04:44 PM   #7
Massharpoon
Pile O'Bones

Massharpoon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I thought the battle was amazing. I loved the parts with Gimli and Legolas. I just did not like the elves at helms deep. I'll goe see it again and hopefully my opinions will not be so negative.
Massharpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 05:01 PM   #8
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

The Battle at Helm's deep. Hmmm.... did I like it? <BR> I do not have the linguistic skills to express in words how compelling that battle sequence was. It was the most riveting, gripping, compelling, exhausting thing I've ever seen on the screen. It killed me, but at the same time sucked me in - it was the most incredible thing I've ever seen. I've NEVER in my life cried so much in a 3-hour span of time.
Old 12-18-2002, 05:21 PM   #9
Massharpoon
Pile O'Bones

Tolkien

I wish I had seen that movie. My tears were for a different reason all together.
Old 12-18-2002, 05:23 PM   #10
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Pookabunny, that's okay. Clearly the film grabbed you. Have you seen other battle scenes in movies? How does Helm's Deep compare to those?<P>I ask as someone whose husband has watched Midway, Waterloo, The Longest Day, etc etc. countless times. Which means I've watched them with him. Until I discovered the Downs, that is. <P>Bethberry
Old 12-18-2002, 05:41 PM   #11
Túroch
Wight

Túroch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree Massharpoon, my tears were for the loss of what I remebered as the Rohirrim. Two big complaints for helms deep. <P>1:WHERE IS ROHAN"S ARMY? THey made it look like they had no army and had to defend themselves with babies and old men. Then they brought the elves to "save" the "poor" Rohirrim who obviously can't save themselves. Ohh come on. <P>2:WHERE'S EOMER. Where is he? He is my favorite character through all the books? HE was supposed to be whoopen *** along with Aragorn, but noooooo they had to shove him out of the picture.
For the valour of the Edain the Elves shall ever remember as the ages lengthen, marvelling that they gave life so freely of which thay had on earth so little. But it is not for thy valour only that I send thee, but to bring into the world a hope beyond thy sight, and a light that shall pierce the darkness." Ulmo - Lord of waters
Túroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 06:33 PM   #12
thorondil
Haunting Spirit

thorondil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I loved the battle scenes but I echo Turoch's complaints.<P>Rohan's army was made to look insignificant and Eomer and his men should have been fighting at Helm's Deep at the beginning. He should have been released in Meduseld after Gandalf broke Theoden's spell. It was Erkenbrand of the Westfold who comes with Gandalf like the cavalry (I guess they were the cavalry .) I groaned when the brigade of Elvish archers showed up.<P>But the battle scenes were cool and I loved to watch it and will do so again. At least Legolas and Gimli were counting!
Old 12-18-2002, 06:55 PM   #13
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with Turoch. It was so sad when the little boys are suiting up for battle. But, the battle itself was .... indescribable. I think Legolas should have gotten a box for Gimli, because he could NOT have described as well as it was shown.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:28 PM   #14
AddictedtoRumil
Haunting Spirit

AddictedtoRumil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I liked it but those little boys going into war made a chill run down my spine! They were so cute though! and Haldir's death didn't exactly thrill me.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:37 PM   #15
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<B>Bethberry:</B><P>Personally, to answer the question "what kind of a cinematic battle" was the battle in TTT, to what other film it can be compared, I would need to be silly and say ... * drumroll please * ... FotR! <P><B>thorondil, lindolirian</B> and <B>AddictedtoRumil:</B><P>Your posts speak well what I would say.<P>* bows *<P>Gandalf the Grey
Gandalf_theGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 07:38 PM   #16
Aragorn2002
Haunting Spirit

Aragorn2002 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aragorn2002
I thought the battle scene was incredible! It was really cool with the ladders. It was a bit different than what I thought of when I read the book, but oh well, it was worth it.
________
Toys kinky

Last edited by Aragorn2002; 04-15-2011 at 03:17 AM.
Aragorn2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 07:41 PM   #17
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

Ooops! I'll elaborate.<P>I loved the movie. All 3 hours of it. Honestly, the battle was not my favorite part, but because of my deep passion for the books and the movies, I felt it to be the best battle I've ever seen on the big screen. That's not to disrespect so many wonderful and intense war movies (and the battle scenes in them), because there are some movies that I love that have incredible battle scenes. However, my intense love for Lord of the Rings has given me a biased opinion when it comes to judging it's climaxes (when compared to others).<P>Again, that's not to knock other movies.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:45 PM   #18
AddictedtoRumil
Haunting Spirit

AddictedtoRumil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Muchos Gracias Gandalf the Grey<BR>(thank you very much)
Old 12-18-2002, 07:51 PM   #19
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dűm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Definately an amazing battle scene. I was on the edge of my seat. A glorious epic it was and I loved it!
Old 12-18-2002, 07:53 PM   #20
Aragorn2002
Haunting Spirit

On the Egde of your seat?!? I was laying on the floor!
________
thai girl Webcam

Last edited by Aragorn2002; 04-15-2011 at 03:18 AM.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:59 PM   #21
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

WHY?! were there elves of Rivendell at Helm's Deep!!!??!<P>Was that blonde-haired elf supposed to be Glorifindel? Someone was talking and I couldn't catch the name when Aragorn said it,
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 09:55 PM   #22
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Do you mean Haldir???<P>One of the parts that I thought was a little campy was the Olympic torch run to light the bombs. Sometimes slow motion doesn't work so well. Oh well, it made up for it right after with Aragorn yelling at Legolas to "kill him". Very intense acting on his part.<BR>I understand why they let Eomer be the one to come and help at the end. The introduction of another character that we only see for two seconds would confuse audiences who haven't read the books even more. I liked the moment when Gandalf arrived with him and the Rohirrim.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 06:17 AM   #23
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Where was Eomer? Let me answer your question. Eomer along with his Men and Gandalf SAVED THE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<P>Eomer was made to look like a truly awesome hero. Him and Gandalf at the end were slicing through Orcs like carrots. You cannot try and tell me that wasn't cool.<P>Now I really liked Erkenbrand (I love all the minor characters) however, it was totally necessary and understandable to leave him out, for the reasons already mentioned. Who else, would come and save the day? This, of course, means that Elfhelm and Grimbold are almost certainly not going to be in the films.<P>I agree that Rohan's army was made to look tiny. 300? It can't have been that in the book, was it?<P>Did that boy name himself Haleth son of Hama? Haleth? That's a girl's name buddy, please let me be wrong.<P>That Orc that Legolas tried to bring down was hardcore! Even Boromir dropped to his knees after 2 arrows.<P>Legolas shooting down the ladder. Sweet!<P>And did Aragorn and Gimli look like superheroes or what? 2 against how many? <P>Also glad that Theoden got to lay some smackdown as well. But anyway, I ramble so badly. Helm's Deep, the greatest of all.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:04 AM   #24
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The battle scenes were strong. And although we know about Ekenbrand in the book, I can accept PJ's little alteration and understand the reasons for it. Also like others, I found the scenes where the young boys suited up to be among the most compelling. Tolkien did clearly indicate that those initially at Helm's Deep were either too young or too old, and PJ has gone with this. The seasoned warriors only show their faces with the reappearance of Eomer.<P>sharon
Old 12-19-2002, 11:21 AM   #25
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

The River-Daughter's Daughter appears, with a good-natured grin in response.<P>Quite so, <B>Gandalf the Grey</B>, an internal comparison has its merits. *curtsies* Yet knowing the depth, breadth and height of other visions can often provide a perspective. Did PJ stand on the shoulders of giants or did he merely share others' footsteps?<P>Bethberry
Old 12-19-2002, 11:27 AM   #26
Aragorn2002
Haunting Spirit

The battle scene also had humor in it...<BR>Gimli:What's happening?<BR>Legolas:Would you like me to describe it for yo or should I get you a box?
________
The Cigar Boss

Last edited by Aragorn2002; 04-15-2011 at 03:18 AM.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:38 AM   #27
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Togerlily said "One of the parts that I thought was a little campy was the Olympic torch run to light the bombs. "<P>my thoughts exactly/<P>As for the over all scene it was great I agree of course w. Thorondil and co. that the elves were out of place [ literally] but i went with it, luckily I had heard vauge intimations, and AT LEAST ARWEN WAS NOT WITH THEM!!!!!!!!!!<P>What a relief that was!<P>The battle itself was spectacular, now he has to go over the top completly w/ Minas Tirith.<P>Did I miss something or did Aragorn take a ladder after Haldir's death [ I guess that is what you get for being in the wrong time at the wrong place!] was very well done but what was up w/ aragorn taking a ladder and throwing himself into the midst of the Army and then not bothering to show him fight his way out.<P>Maybe I missed it did he take a ladder to go further into the deep?<P>I must say I managed not to let it interefere w/ my enjoying the movie [ much] but PJ's incessant desire to change major characters motives is irksome. <P>And I would much rather have seen the huorns come and leave the battle feild a silent eerie scene at the end. w/ Legolas proclaiming " the trees have eyes"!
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 11:52 AM   #28
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

The comparisons between TTT and the work of Kurosawa are apt. I found the protracted battle of Helm's Deep similar in feel and pacing to the final lengthy battle in <I>The Seven Samurai</I>. (If you wish to see another well-crafted battle scene, I heartily recommend it, although it is in Japanese subtitled in English.) Both battles have the same sort of hopeless-odds, no-way-out kind of feel, and get you just as emotionally involved rooting for the good guys. <P>Now obviously PJ has the edge in technological and cinematographic choices -- but that's one reason why Kurosawa is recognized as such a genius -- becuase this movie was made long before the advent of all these CGI shenanigans. Nevertheless, PJ should now be recognized as being in the same category of genius for bringing epic cinema back to life.<p>[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Thenamir ]
Old 12-19-2002, 12:11 PM   #29
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<B>Bethberry:</B><P>Indeed there is another film to compare with PJ's FotR and TTT which affects my emotions similarly in terms of the epic grandeur and sheer overpowering awe of a battle scene made with a cast of thousands.<P>To me, the scene where Pharoah's army follows the Hebrews into the Red Sea in Cecil B. DeMille's classic film production "The Ten Commandments" vintage 1956 evokes an atmosphere similar to that of The Last Alliance of Elves and Men in FotR and The Battle at Helm's Deep in TTT. <P>As well, that exodus scene from "The Ten Commandments" captures the poignant human flavor of the journey of Rohan's refugee residents to the hoped-for safety of the caves.<P>Gandalf with his staff at Helm's Deep as mention is made of the tide turning, Moses? (Or perhaps that is a stretch.)<P>Gandalf the Grey<p>[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Gandalf_theGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 04:34 PM   #30
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The comparisons between TTT and the work of Kurosawa are apt.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Thenamir - Our own local reviewer compared Helm's Deep to the battles in <I>Ran</I>. Of course, I always said that Kurosawa would have made a kick-butt version of LoTR!
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 06:45 PM   #31
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

I was awed by the battle of Helm's Deep. It didn't show too much gore or too little, and though most of it was tragic they did manage to lighten it up with humor. They even had the head count between Legolas and Gimli! I loved it. I especially liked when Aragorn and Gimli ran down the gate-breaking force. All in all I thought it was the greatest battle scene I've ever witnessed. I felt like I was THERE.
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 07:40 PM   #32
Nilaraniel
Animated Skeleton

Nilaraniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nilaraniel Send a message via MSN to Nilaraniel Send a message via Yahoo to Nilaraniel
1420!

I've only read TTT a couple of times, and I know the Elves were not supposed to be at Helm's Deep... So WHY did Haldir have to die? He is by far one of my favorite characters and I was in tears when that guy came up behind him. It's traumatizing enough to see any Elf die, let alone one of my favorites. Is he EVER mentioned as dying in the books? If so I completly missed that part... Correct me if I'm wrong about this!<BR>Other than than that I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and am planning on going back tomorrow night, although I will keep my eyes closed for one scene...
Old 12-19-2002, 09:02 PM   #33
Massharpoon
Pile O'Bones

Tolkien

I saw the movie afain today and I still did not like the battle of Elves Deep. I am not going to ramble on about it but I didn't realize you could just ride your horse through an army of Orcs and they would just fall off a bridge. Sorry.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:08 PM   #34
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought the battle scenes were well done, but I wasn't gripped by them. My friends who have not read any Tolkien loved them, thought they were brilliant etc, but I found myself getting a bit bored to be honest. I also really missed the scene when Aragorn rides out to see the dawn, and talks to the orcs. "Bring out your skulking king", and then Theoden rides out, the sun rises and the orcs see the huorns that have appeared overnight. Aragorn is truly regal and powerful and the orcs are terrified. What a great scene missed PJ missed out on...
Old 12-20-2002, 05:14 PM   #35
Rosseiliantiel
Wight

Rosseiliantiel has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

The battle at Helm's Deep was absolutely brilliantly done, except for one little thing: <BR>Legolas' shield surfing. One orc with a pike...
Old 12-20-2002, 07:41 PM   #36
QuickSlash
Wight

QuickSlash has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to QuickSlash Send a message via Yahoo to QuickSlash
Sting

I loved it. My favorite part of the movie, though the ents are a close second. <P>Comments:<BR>Helm's Deep didn't look at all like how I'd imagined it. Most of the things the movies have done have, but the design of Helm's Deep was nothing I had expected.<BR>As my friend put it, "Legolas surfing down the stairs like an Elven Rambo." I thought it was good, though.<BR>They didn't finish the numbers of Legolas and Gimli's orc count. Maybe they will in RotK, but I think that they should've noted it now.<BR>I'm against the death of Haldir at Helm's Deep. I'm not against the elves, though, as it made it seem like the elves still cared about the affairs of men.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:24 PM   #37
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

The Orcs were not terrified of Aragorn when he was standing on the wall in the book. The Wild Men were though.
Old 12-21-2002, 08:55 PM   #38
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

That was simply the most awesome (the literal term, not the slang term), compelling, and amazing battle (I hesitate to call it a "scene"; it was, after all, about a half an hour) that I have ever seen....every bit of it was amazing, from the Elves to the Rohirrim boys to that cool ballista....<P>At the very beginning of it, when the Uruk-hai were stamping their spears, I immediately though of Geraldo Riviera saying "Oh, my, it looks as if the Uruk-hai are unable to charge the Deep because...well, because they just chopped their own feet off. More on that in a moment...."<P>Coolest part: all of it. You can't pick just one. <P>How about that horn? Heh? It's like a tuba cubed!
Old 12-22-2002, 09:52 AM   #39
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Thank you, <B>Thenamir</B> and <B>Birdie</B> for noting my comment on Kurosawa. For me, the battle at Helm's Deep did not compare well because in TTT there were several disjarring moments which, instead of in some way highlighting or extending the ethos of the battle, they detracted from it. I doubt PJ wanted to do a truly epic battle scene.<P>Legolas and Gimli keeping track of their counts was one. Yes, I recognize this kind of behaviour in wartime, but I don't think this particular point of characterization was done in terms of a serious battle. It was silly cavalier derring-do, like Han Solo's quick quip to Luke, "Great! Don't get cocky, kid."<P>Gimli and Aragorn outside the gate joking about tossing a dwarf was another. Again, a discordant intrusion had this been intended to be a tragic battle scene. A cheap laugh.<P>Gandalf the White arriving on his rearing charger with the cavalry. As Birdie put it in a PM to me, "Hi-ho Silverfax"--that's a reference to the old American TV show of the Lone Ranger, for those of you too young to have heard of the show. So, for me, <B>Gandalf the Grey</B>, this arrival of the wizard held no reminders of Cecil B. DeMille's biblical epics. I burst out loud with derisive laughter. Moses I would have much preferred. We each see what we each see.<P>The issue appears to be one of how PJ conceived of the battle. It isn't <I>All Quiet on the Western Front</I>. Or even <I>Saving Private Ryan</I>. Or <I>Gallipoli</I> Or <I>Band of Brothers</I>. <P>It was intended to thrill as a visual spectacle and adventure but not stir us profoundly--give us a little sense of battle, but not too much, so we aren't truly twisted dry of emotion and left drained. These intrusions into a serious tone are part of the popular movie ethos. We're working always with <I>Star Wars</I> even if it occasionally appears that we are being given something different (the visual allusion to <I>Triumph of the Will</I> when Saruman looks out upon his army at Isengard).<P>This is an amusement park ride. Thrilling and well done and vastly fun, but candy for short (or tired) attention spans and not food for thoughtful contemplation. In the end, TTT has little to do with stirring in us profound awareness of Tolkien's issues of good and evil. It is a safe ride and not a perilous journey.<P>Bethberry<p>[ December 22, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 12-22-2002, 09:59 AM   #40
Dorathain_Flamesword
Animated Skeleton

Location: U.S. Though Middle-Earth, Ireland or New Zealand would suit me. I am 50% Irish.
Dorathain_Flamesword has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

PJ did an excellent job with Helm's Deep. I was too, disappointed in the fact that the caves were not shown, but there will be an extended version so, not to worry! I loved it when Gimli said, "I should've picked a better spot!" when the wall was higher than his eyes and it panned through the tall Men, standing straight, almost all the same size, and then you see a gap between to Men and the top of Gimli's helmet. I was cracking up. Very good battle, it wasn't long enough though, and I think the program they used to do Helm's Deep was cool, where they just make two armies and let them just fight each other, its like tiny little guys in your computer.
Even as they spoke there came a blare of trumpets. Then there was a crash and a flash of flame and smoke. The waters of the Deeping-stream poured out hissing and foaming: they were choked no longer, a gaping hole was blasted in the wall. A host of dark shapes poured in. "Devilry of Saruman!" cried Aragorn. -Helm's Deep.
Dorathain_Flamesword is offline   Reply With Quote