The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-02-2003, 10:40 PM   #1
Darkside
Animated Skeleton

Darkside has just left Hobbiton.
Dave Barry's Review of TTT

For those of you who don't know, Dave Barry is an American columnist who is very funny and sometimes very silly. I found his review quite hysterical! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.<P>I don't know if this is coming through as a link but this is where you go: <A HREF="http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/columnists/dave_barry/5023564.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/columnists/dave_barry/5023564.htm</A> <BR><A HREF="http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/columnists/dave_barry/5023564.htm" TARGET=_blank>web page</A>
Old 02-02-2003, 10:45 PM   #2
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

The link works, but there is no review when you get there.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 10:48 PM   #3
Darkside
Animated Skeleton

Sting

I clicked on it and it took me straight to the article. Hmmmm... Did you try cutting and pasting it?<P>Sorry. I'll see what I can do.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:50 PM   #4
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White-Hand

Before you go to that trouble, Rose Cotton already posted this in Middle-earth Mayhem...
Old 02-02-2003, 10:51 PM   #5
Darkside
Animated Skeleton

Thanks Diamond! I didn't think to look for it there!
Old 02-02-2003, 10:53 PM   #6
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

Yup, made that mistake before, myself.<P><A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=17&t=000421" TARGET=_blank>Here be the link.</A>
Old 02-06-2003, 12:25 PM   #7
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

It wasn't that funny. He is apparently just another person who thinks the plot is very complicated. Come on, its not that hard to follow!
Old 02-06-2003, 12:51 PM   #8
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Geez, my six year old follows the movies fine. It's not that hard.<P>H.C.
Old 02-06-2003, 02:26 PM   #9
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

White-Hand

Don't forget that the movie based on Dave Barry's book, "Big Trouble" bombed big time. Bitter?
Old 02-06-2003, 02:43 PM   #10
Grimbold
Haunting Spirit

Grimbold has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Dave Barry isn't actually criticizing the film--he pokes fun at everything, including himself! He is a hilarious humourist in my opinion. Try reading Dave Barry's Only Travel Guide You'll Ever Need. I'm sure he enjoyed the movie, he's just paid to write funny columns, and I thought it was damn funny. I think you would all like his other writings. They're wicked.
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountains. Like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the west. Behind the hills, into shadow.
How did it come to this?
Grimbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 08:37 PM   #11
Darkside
Animated Skeleton

Sting

That's right Grimbold! The Only Travel Guide had me rolling on the floor! I think he knows the story, he was just poking fun at the movie. Nothing is sacred to him. Sitck with his humor books, not his novels. They are very sarcastic and very funny.<P>I put it out there because I think everyone needs to take a deep breath and laugh. I think the movie discussions have gotten a bit heated (I am guilty of that ) and a moment of sillines seemed appropriate.<P>Now, I am a wee bit curious...<BR>Did y'all not like the article because you liked the movie? <BR>
Old 02-07-2003, 07:24 AM   #12
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I tried not to come off as a total lack-of-humour nark, but I might have failed? <P>I like having a joke at The Lord of the Rings (thats why I'm in Middle Earth Mayhem so much!) its just that I didn't find that particular article funny. Its not like I'm hunting the guy down for sacrilege....
Old 02-07-2003, 02:26 PM   #13
Grimbold
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Important rule for life: if you don't laugh at Dave Barry's article, make sure it isn't because you feel he's stabbed you in the heart by making fun of LOTR. Don't laugh if you don't find it funny. You'll be a much better-adjusted fan if you DO laugh, I think. Mustn't take everything too seriously, my friends.
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountains. Like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the west. Behind the hills, into shadow.
How did it come to this?
Old 02-08-2003, 07:23 AM   #14
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Sting

You must remember that there are a lot of Lord of the Rings parodies out there, and there has been for years and years. Some are funny and some are not.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:42 AM   #15
Grimbold
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Very true. Funny though, I've been a LOTR fan for many years and haven't been overly-exposed to such parodies in my opinion, or really exposed at all. The only things I can remember right now are some spoof called "Lord of the Bling" on MTV, and of course the article in question. And I can imagine that MAD Magazine would have jumped at the opportunity as well. Oh well.
How did it come to this?
Old 02-08-2003, 10:29 AM   #16
Stormcrow

The Eye

Hmmmm ...<BR>Can't say that i found that funny, seemed kinda stupid to me, but thats just my opinion . I have to admit though.. the "with the help of Gandalf the White, formerly Gandalf the Grey, also known as Gandalf the Beige" line did make me laugh ahahahahaha<P>But thats probably the only part that did
Old 02-10-2003, 11:23 AM   #17
Calliope and Linus S. Underhill.
Pile O'Bones

Calliope and Linus S. Underhill. has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think it's funny. I love reading scripts that poke fun at the movie, even though I understand it perfectly. It's not making fun of the BOOK, it's making fun of the MOVIE. Just like the editing room, which made fun of the actors. Learn to laugh a little, it's good for you .
Old 02-10-2003, 02:10 PM   #18
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

I liked the....<P>I'm still short (laughter)<P>That kind of sarcastic non-humour makes me smile.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:00 PM   #19
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

It seemed to me like he <I>was</I> making fun of things that were truer to the book, like the concept of Ents (talking trees, branch-to-hand combat, "apparently the audience will swallow anything" in regards to the attack on Isengard) and the number of characters, complicated level of the plot, length of the movie (it'd have been longer if it was truer to the book!) and the fact that there are three movies. I hate it when people call them sequels and make fun of them in that way. <I>*shakes world at large*</I> It wasn't a sequel!!!!!! A sequel is when a movie is successful and they decide afterwards to cash in on it by making a follow-up.<P>Anyway, that's what's not funny about it. Most of what he pokes fun at does have to do with the book. And I read Dave Barry's articles every week, so I can say he's done better.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:10 AM   #20
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The spoof is great, but it isn't as good as the ones in Total film, by, I think Rod Hilton.

"Life is so beautiful"-&gt;Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote