The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-17-2004, 10:45 AM   #1
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots Greatest Movie Character List lists Gollem

CBC Arts news today includes a brief mention of a rating on Greatest Movie Characters, taken from the online zine Premiere. Gollem makes the top ten, but, interestingly perhaps, neither Gandalf nor Frodo make the top one hundred. However, how credible is a rating that lists Jame Bond ahead of Atticus Finch or Randle McMurphy? And what's Carl Spackler of Caddyshack doing ahead of "Bluto" Blutarsky of Animal House?

Quote:
The most recent character to break the top 10 was the "slithering, tragicomical" Gollum, as voiced by British actor Andy Serkis, from The Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Here's the link:

Greatest Movie Characters

The top twenty are as follows:

1. Vito Corleone of The Godfather
2. Fred C. Dobbs of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
3. Scarlett O'Hara of Gone With the Wind
4. Norman Bates of Psycho
5. James Bond of Dr. No
6. Annie Hall of Annie Hall
7. Indiana Jones of Raiders of the Lost Ark
8. Ellen Ripley of Alien
9. Jeff Spicoli of Fast Times at Ridgemont High
10. Gollum of Lord of the Rings
11. Margo Channing of All About Eve
12. Charles Foster Kane of Citizen Kane
13. Atticus Finch of To Kill a Mockingbird
14. Randle McMurphy of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
15. Hannibal Lecter of The Silence of the Lambs
16. Robin Hood of The Adventures of Robin Hood
17. Dorothy Gale of The Wizard of Oz
18. Carl Spackler of Caddyshack
19. Rick Blaine of Casablanca
20. Virgil Tibbs of In the Heat of the Night
Old 04-17-2004, 11:09 AM   #2
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
That list does seem rather suspect, although I am glad Sidney Poitier's and Gregory Peck's finest performances got the nods in the top 20. The link on your initial post doesn't work on my computer, but I imagine Gollum is the only CGI character in the Top 100. It's good that at least someone from one of the most groundbreaking cinematic trilogy since Star Wars got the nod. Speaking of Star Wars, why no Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia (sp?) or Darth Vader in the top 20?
Old 04-17-2004, 11:35 AM   #3
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Here's a direct link to the Premiere article, Lord of Angmar. I hope this one works for you.

Premiere's Top One Hundred

I think Darth 'bought it', Lord, when the Emperor was made badder than him and when he was 'saved from the dark side' by Luke.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 04-17-2004 at 11:41 AM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 02:57 PM   #4
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
looking at the top twenty, the first thing that comes to mind is:

Isn't it a little odd that the greatest movie characters of all times are mostly characters from books? I mean, isn't this list supposed to be named 'greatest movie characters who also happen to be book characters, except that some people only know them as their movie selves, which is quite a shame sometimes'?
Old 04-18-2004, 02:21 AM   #5
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Good for Gollum
It is great that not just the Tolkien fans recognize how great of a character he is.

but...

*Warning: Off Topic comment of the day*
Does everyone notice that James Bond is not even on the list
Is he not there because they couldn't choose which actor who they believe best played him?
That just puzzles me... but, oh well... I never like anything in Premiere magazine anyway (except for that one article on the hobbit actors last December... That one was actually pretty good)
Old 04-18-2004, 07:59 AM   #6
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I think Darth 'bought it', Lord, when the Emperor was made badder than him and when he was 'saved from the dark side' by Luke.(Bęthberry)
Hahaha, I personally lost respect for him after Han Solo blew his ship out of the sky during the Death Star attack.
Quote:
Bringing it back on subject, It had to be Gollum really as Gollum is now probably the most iconic character of lotr. And its clear they've tried to go for as broad a mix as possible, hence the non-inclusion of anyone else from lotr.(Lammoth)
He has become a bit of an icon, hasn't he? Whenever someone mentions the Lord of the Rings these days, it seems to be followed or preceded by a reference to Gollum. When I look at this list, I notice that most of the movies are either older classics like The Godfather, To Kill A Mockingbird, Casablanca and A Streetcar Named Desire or iconic movies from the mid-90's like Pulp Fiction and Forrest Gump. That Gollum made the list (at the No. 10 spot out of 100, no less) for movies that were released in 2002 and 2003 just shows the monumental impact the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy has had on cinema and pop culture.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:08 PM   #7
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Ooops...

*Finds a hole, and climbs in to it, because of an exteme offtopic oversight that makes her look like an idiot*

I am very sorry. I posted that at about 1:30 in the morning, so I must have been a little tired

I promise never to make such a glaring mistake like that again