The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-21-2004, 08:01 PM   #1
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Add-ons that you want to see(stuff that is NOT in the book)?

Now, I know this is a sore subject, but I've come to realize that book and movie are two very different things. I love both. That said, I'd really like to see the extended stuff with Arwen at Helm's Deep. I want to see just how P.J. and co handled that, because whatever they did probably rocked. Plus, my appetite for kick butt women hasn't been satisfied. *grin*

On that note... I want to see the scenes we've seen pics from... Haldir and co. slaughtering a band of orcs following the Fellowship, Eowyn fighting in the Glittering Caves, and Frodo turning into Gollum for a split second.
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 08:14 PM   #2
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
At the moment I can't think of anything... and (in my opinion) thank the Valar that Arwen wasn't at Helm's Deep.

There were actually some good ideas they had that they put in the movies that weren't in the book that made the movie enjoyable. For example in TTT EE the part with Boromir leaving Minas Tirith. However before they put more of those things into the movies I would prefer them put more things in the book into the movie. For example I'd rather have Ghan-buri-Ghan or The Mouth of Sauron show up in the RotK EE before an imagined scene of theirs.

Éowyn fighting in the Glittering Caves would be pretty cool though. It would show something of a progression from the scene they showed at Edoras with Éowyn practicing her sword skills.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 06:38 AM   #3
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
What I wouldn't mind seeing is anything that Tolkien aluded to or mentioned without giving any description or narration to.

For example Tharanduil fighting in Mirkwood and Celeborn sacking Dol Guldur,
Bard and Thorin in the Battle of Dale and, of course, the later events of the fellowship.

For example, we could see Sam finally leaving Middle-earth after the death of his beloved Rosie, and then the death of Aragorn and the setting of the beds of Pippin and Merry next to him in Rath Dinen.

The final shot would be of Legolas and Gimli leaving Middle-earth with Cate Blanchet saying "And when that ship passed an end was come in the Middle-earth of the Fellowship of the Ring."
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 02:52 PM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
I rather wanted to see the assaults on Lorien, as well as an epilogue giving an overview of the fates of each character. And I would have loved to see the men of Gondor making their way to Minas Tirith, ie. Imrahil, Hirluin, Forlong. I've been imagining it in the same style as the beacons scene: a sweep over the landscape at sunset, sunrise, whatever... showing vast columns of soldiers marching valiantly across the plains of Gondor, their banners flapping high above them... *sighs dreamily*

I would like to see the stuff PJ filmed that wasn't meant for the films in the end, such as Eowyn in the caves and Arwen at Helm's Deep. It would be nice if they brought out a disc or addition on the extended edition that showed all this cut material, just so we could see how it would have played out originally.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:20 PM   #5
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
That is a very interesting idea. I would have hated to see any of those scenes in the actual movie(well maybe :P), but I would absolutly love to have them somewhere in the extras. It would be interesting to see how PJ and co. would have put it together and make it seem like a natural part of the story...if possible.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:30 PM   #6
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
That said, I'd really like to see the extended stuff with Arwen at Helm's Deep. I want to see just how P.J. and co handled that, because whatever they did probably rocked.
Actually I haven't seen any evidence of PJ & co. being able to handle an Arwen scene without messing it up (with the possible exception of Aragorn & Arwen's Rivendell scenes) .

I would like to see Haldir & co. slaughter the pursuing orcs, & also the rapid chase they were planning on putting in there (or at least the cut version of them, if they would've filmed them), but since this is for stuff that's 'NOT in the book', & both of those mentioned scenes are, I don't suppose they count.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote