The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-17-2000, 06:41 PM   #1
alashar

Ring Cast......

<BR>It is definitely very important to have people who look like the real characters, but...ive never heard of anyone in the cast! They are probably all really bad! I clicked on one of the guys, legolas, and he has only been in one movie, and that was 3 years ago. Im worried they are all going to be horrid actors. <p></p>
Old 06-17-2000, 07:24 PM   #2
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Actually, the cast has some pretty big names. Elijah Wood has been in many good movies and is very popular at the moment. Liv Tyler is definitely the flavor of the month. Cate Blanchett and Ian McKellan are recent Oscar winners (no horrid acting there). Sure, some of the cast is unknown... but who wants a film full of stars? Who could afford to make a film full of stars?<br> <br> I'm redoing the entire Barrow-Downs site to include a lot more movie info. Keep checking in and I'm sure you'll recognize a lot of the work these actors have done! <p><i><a href="mailto:barrow-wight@kitgraphics.com">The Barrow-Wight</a></b></i><br> <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">The Barrow-Downs</a></p>
Old 08-02-2000, 06:55 PM   #3
Gandalf12

Ring

<BR><br><br> If you're worried about the cast, go on msn.com *or any good search engines* and search for &quot;20 Rings Things&quot; I use msn and their engine is pretty good. Hope I helped <br> <br> ADMINISTRATOR'S SELF-PROMOTING NOTE: *** Or check the Cast/Characters and Movie News section of <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">The Barrow-Downs</a> *** <p></p><i>Edited by <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000002>RKittle</A>&nbsp; at: 8/3/00 7:41:01 am<br></i>
Old 08-02-2000, 07:40 PM   #4
Vanye

Ring

<BR><br><br> Actually I could be wrong but I think Elijah Wood will make a great Frodo. I have seen him in small roles and he seems to be a very good young actor.<br> <br> I think its better that the actors are a little obscure - that way when you see Aragorn he's Aragorn and you don't end up with that &quot;Tom Cruise IS Aragorn&quot; or &quot;Sean Connery IS Gandalf&quot; promo junk. People will see the character for who the character is - not the actor who plays him (or her). <br> <br> Having said that I must also say that Cate Blanchet was wonderful in Elizabeth. I am REALLY worried about Liv Tyler as Arwen. Expanded role aside she seems to play every character the exact same way. It can be quite annoying! <p></p>
Old 08-03-2000, 05:54 AM   #5
Taimar
Spirit of the Downfallen West

Taimar has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Things are not so bad as they seem, Alashar. Some of the cast are well-known British actors who would not be too familiar to the rest of the world.<br> <br> Sean Bean, who plays Boromir, is a very good actor who has turned down many offers from Hollywood in the past. You may have seen him in Patriot Games, starring opposite Harrison Ford. Bernard Hill (who I`ve heard is playing Theoden) is also a top class actor, but again is not famous outside the UK. Christopher Lee is playing Saruman, you must surely have heard of him. <br> <br> I think the cast is pretty good, apart from Liv Tyler, who has been atrocious every time I have seen her. I hope the rumours that most of her scenes will end up on the cutting room floor are true. I am more concerned with the liberties PJ is taking with the plot. I can understand him leaving sections out (Bombadil, for example), but I do not see the need for the increased role of Arwen, which is only there for the box office and is nothing to do with the difficulties of bringing LOTR to the screen. <p>Look into the <a href="http://www.fortunecity.co.uk/library/classiccourt/77/">Mirror of Desire.</a> </p><i>Edited by <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000099>Taimar</A>&nbsp; at: 8/3/00 8:02:45 am<br></i>
Taimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2000, 11:56 AM   #6
Wizard of the Secret Fire
Pile O'Bones

Wizard of the Secret Fire has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Cast......</b><br><br> C. Lee is very good and look at all movies he has been in, and he have met Tolkien and he reads the LotR about one time every year. <br> <br> Examples of roles:<br> <br> Sean Bean could you see in Goldeneye too (the Bad-guy).<br> <br> McKellen (Gandaif) is really good and famous now (X-Men, Atp pubil and some more).<br> <br> Ian Holm (Bilbo)played the priest in the 5th Element and you could see him in eXistenZ too.<br> <br> Hugo Weaving (Elrond) played an agent in Matrix.<br> <br> Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn) has played roles in G.I. Jane and a perfect murder.<br> <br> Cate Blanchett (Galadriel) played in The Talented Mr. Ripley and Elizabeth <br> <br> <br> You could see Brad Dourif (Wormtongue) in Alien 4.<br> <br> More info here: <br> <br> <a href="http://www.crosswinds.net/~theoldforest/lotrm/cac/list.html">www.crosswinds.net/~theol.../list.html</a><br> <br> ADMINISTRATORS NOTE: Advertising web pages like this is inappropriate. Keep your web page information in your sig, please. <br> <br> <br> <br> <p>"You cannot pass. I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor." <br> <br> Usually guarding <a href="http://www.theoldforest.cjb.net">The Old Forest website. </a></p> You can find all information you need about Tolkien and the new Lord of the Rings movies there. Feel free to visit the recently re-started EZ Board, <a href="http://pub9.ezboard.com/btheoldforest29887">The Bonfire Glade</a></p></p><i>Edited by <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000002>RKittle</A>&nbsp; at: 8/3/00 3:07:32 pm<br></i>
Wizard of the Secret Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2000, 01:03 PM   #7
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Ring

<BR><br><br> What is the deal with people advertising other web pages here today?? This is not a web page advertisement board... it's a Tolkien discussion board. <br> <br> <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">The Barrow-Downs</a> has plenty of movie information updated every Friday <br> (I'm allowed to advertise here - this is The Barrow-Downs after all . <p>The Barrow-Wight (RKittle)<br> I usually haunt <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">The Barrow-Downs</a> and The Barrow-Downs <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi">Middle-Earth Discussion Board</a>.</p><i>Edited by <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000002>RKittle</A>&nbsp; at: 8/3/00 3:09:26 pm<br></i>
Old 08-04-2000, 08:37 AM   #8
noldo
Haunting Spirit

noldo has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Cast......</b><br><br> I'm <i> really</i> satisfied with the casting. Ian McKellen, Cate Blanchett, Viggo Mortensen, Christopher Lee... etc... etc... are all good actors. The Elf-actors actually look like Elves... Gandalf and Saruman actually are istari, I tell you! ... and so on, and so on... <p>"Their Oath shall drive them, and yet betray them, and ever snatch away the very treasures that they have sworn to pursue." </p>
noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2000, 01:40 PM   #9
Wizard of the Secret Fire
Pile O'Bones

Wizard of the Secret Fire has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Oops, sorry, have not noticed the casting section at the B-D (not what you search for every day), just wanted to to give some information and got tired of writing everything down. <br> <br> <br> <br> <p>"You cannot pass. I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor." <br> <br> Usually guarding <a href="http://www.theoldforest.cjb.net">The Old Forest website. </a></p> You can find all information you need about Tolkien and the new Lord of the Rings movies there. Feel free to visit the recently re-started EZ Board, <a href="http://pub9.ezboard.com/btheoldforest29887">The Bonfire Glade</a></p></p>
Wizard of the Secret Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2000, 12:17 AM   #10
dogtrot
Animated Skeleton

dogtrot has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Has anyone heard anything about who will be playing the Gaffer(maybe they cut him too!) or how about Butterbur? <p></p>
dogtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2000, 08:31 AM   #11
noldo
Haunting Spirit

noldo has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Cast......</b><br><br> Miranda Otto (Èowyn) has a small supporting role in the movie &quot;Thin Red Line&quot;.<br> <br> There's hasn't been any information on who will be playing Gaffer or Butterbur. <p>"Their Oath shall drive them, and yet betray them, and ever snatch away the very treasures that they have sworn to pursue."<BR> <BR> <A HREF="http://pub22.ezboard.com/belvenhome/">Elvenhome</A></p>
noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2000, 05:29 PM   #12
dogtrot
Animated Skeleton

Ring

<BR> Re: Cast......</b><br><br> well from what I've seen in pics and the preview i like the &quot;look&quot; of the actors in their respective roles. I am however extremely biased against Liv Tyler, and she will really have to prove herself in the role of Arwen. I just can't help but think of her as this bored girl with no job and her dad walking in and saying &quot;o.k. I'll make some introductions for you honey, you don't have to work at Mcdonalds&quot;. <p></p>
Old 08-06-2000, 06:53 PM   #13
galpsi
The Unquiet Dead

galpsi has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Cast......</b><br><br> Boy I wish that my dad had known anyone who could have gotten me out of working at McDonald's. <p></p>
galpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2000, 12:30 AM   #14
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Cast......</b><br><br> I'l bet he did-but forseeing your identifying with Bombur wanted to help you with 'food issues'<br> <p></p>
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2000, 01:29 AM   #15
galpsi
The Unquiet Dead

galpsi has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Cast......</b><br><br> Prescience, I never would have guessed! <p></p>
galpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2000, 04:35 PM   #16
IronChefMiddleEarth

Ring

<BR> Re: Cast......</b><br><br> I'm not too worried about the cast, even Liv Tyler was a mediocre actress in Cookie's Fortune. As for unknowns I know Dominic Monaghan was in Hetty Wainthropp Investigates.He's pretty good (not to mention cute*cough*).Billy Boyd has done quite a bit of theater I've heard....But any way my first post hehehe yay !!!! I like these icon things heheh too much power....<br> <br> Amy <p></p>
Old 08-14-2000, 05:18 PM   #17
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Ring

<BR> Re: Cast......</b><br><br> Glad to see you made it, Amy. I complain about Liv but I think in the end I'll be able to tolerate even her. I just never know if I'll get over the loss of the Barrow-Downs, though. What a dimsal thing to omit <p>The Barrow-Wight (RKittle)<br> I usually haunt <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">The Barrow-Downs</a> and The Barrow-Downs <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi">Middle-Earth Discussion Board</a>.</p>
Old 08-15-2000, 03:59 PM   #18
IronChefMiddleEarth

Ring

<BR><br><br> Yes I too am upset by that. I am all so mourning the loss of my favorite character , Tom Bombadil. I was more than a bit upset about that. But *twitch* I will survive....<br> <br> Oh and by the way as I write this I am enjoying my first Peter Jackson film, the delightful blood bath known as Bad Taste.....I'm about a half hour into it and all ready I'm scarred for life......(they are just cooking the b.r.e.a.d guy) <br> <br> Amy<br> <br> <p></p>
Old 08-21-2000, 11:02 AM   #19
dogtrot
Animated Skeleton

Ring

<BR><br><br> i have yet to see a Peter Jackson film that I liked. can someone tell me why he was chosen? wasn't there other directors begging for this opportunity? Oh i bet it was that whole weta thing. he has the technology to bring tolkiens world to life and all that rubbish he's been spoutting. well i don't care if he does read this. PJ, look at some classic cinema for eru's sake. you know come to think of it, that TORN site always bothered me with their undying devotion to this particular director. <p></p>
Old 09-06-2000, 08:35 PM   #20
gamegie
Wight

gamegie has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> I would have prefered unknown actors for all the major roles and famous people or computer animations of them as orcs....... <p>Charming Humble Hobbit</p>
gamegie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2000, 10:42 PM   #21
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ring

<BR> Re: Cast......</b><br><br> To answer your question, dogtrot -- if I remember aright, PJ wasn't chosen for the film -- he championed the project and basically devised a little &quot;sales kit&quot; to convince the studio that it could be done and that it would be cool, exciting, and most of all marketable. He's the man who got the ball rolling. So I think ya have to be encouraged that he is a self-starting fan and not just some hired gun who was brought on to do the project. <p></p>
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2000, 02:07 AM   #22
Ereinion Gil Galad

Ring

<BR> Re: Cast......</b><br><br> Hi there.... I just couldn't help being a part of the discussions so here it is:<br> There isn't much to say about the cast in general because it includes masters of acting like McKellen, Lee, and Holm.Also Blanchett should be mentioned among them. Sean Bean (I saw him in Goldeneye a few weeks ago) is a good choice, he can handle it-although I have some doubts about the blonde hair. <br> I don't agree with most of the people about Liv Tyler. She would be more suitable of course in the original Arwen-not modified by PJ-, but she can still perform well. Although she is not a real &quot;actress&quot; yet, this role is a step towards being one, and I think she is aware of this. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000428>Ereinion Gil Galad </A> Edited by: 9/18/00 12:52:46 pm<br></i>
Old 09-20-2000, 10:22 AM   #23
Lady Eowyn
Haunting Spirit

Lady Eowyn has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> RE: Cast</b><br><br> I think PJ picked some good actors.<br> I especially like Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn.<br> He looks handsome, but not your usual pretty face like Leo Di Caprio(thank god he's not in the movie)or Tom Cruise. So I think he's gonna be good. <br> Also, just because an actor didn't make already 150000 movies, means that he's a bad actor.<br> As with Live Tyler - I wanna quote Mr. Underhill here. &quot;we just got to Liv with her&quot;. I thought that said it all.<br> All the actors pretty much look like the character, especially when they are all dressed-up.<br> If you haven't seen the Vanity Fair pictures, check them out.<br> <p></p>
Lady Eowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2000, 03:48 PM   #24
KayQy
Wight

KayQy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to KayQy
Ring

<BR><br><br> I'm mostly satisfied w/the casting, myself. Don't know a thing about Liv Tyler, don't think I've ever seen her (but you guys are slowly poisoning me, despite my resistance to predjudice ). I was <i> hoping</i> that Michael T. Weiss would get Aragorn or even Boromir, but I wasn't really expecting it. <p><i>The days are fated to be filled with wonders.</i></p>

--OC Supertones, "Wilderness"

"Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter." -- Max Beerbohm
KayQy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 06:33 PM   #25
Samwise of the shire
Wight

Samwise of the shire has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Cast......</b><br><br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000026>Samwise of the shire</A> at: 2/9/01 9:23:44 pm<br></i>
Samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 01:39 PM   #26
Carromeniel

Sting

I think the cast is pretty good. I do complain a lot about Liv Tyler, but I guess she is okay. Hugo Weaving also is questionable. He was good acting the part, but I had not imagined Elrond to look like that. Otherwise, I think that everyone else is good.
Old 09-01-2003, 02:00 PM   #27
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It is quite strange to look back on people's posts before the movies even came out!<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I clicked on one of the guys, legolas, and he has only been in one movie, and that was 3 years ago. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Who would have thought Orlando Bloom would have attracted millions of hysterical teenage girls to the works of Professor JRR Tolkien? <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I am REALLY worried about Liv Tyler as Arwen. Expanded role aside she seems to play every character the exact same way<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Honestly, Liv as Arwen was hard to imagine before the movie came out.<P>Welcome to the Downs Carromeniel. Try to find a more recent topic to talk about casting, as this one was started and finished before the first movie even came out and therefore your comments are not relevant to it. There are several threads concerning the cast as a whole or specific cast members (Faramir probably being the most talked about).
Old 09-05-2003, 10:33 AM   #28
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>It is definitely very important to have people who look like the real characters, but...ive never heard of anyone in the cast! They are probably all really bad! I clicked on one of the guys, legolas, and he has only been in one movie, and that was 3 years ago. Im worried they are all going to be horrid actors.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Heh. Intersting. I don't think anyone qualified as horrid acting out of all that. Orlando Bloom didn't do the greatest job of acting (in some scenes), but he did well enough that most people won't catch it.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 05:18 PM   #29
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It is quite strange to look back on people's posts before the movies even came out! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>You took the words right out of my mouth - er, of my keyboard.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Actually I could be wrong but I think Elijah Wood will make a great Frodo <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Whoever posted this is a visionary. Not many people could have predicted that. I for one, didn't - in fact I predicted the opposite.