The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2010, 04:31 AM   #81
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Just one?

There are many characters I love, namely Maedhros, Maglor, Fëanor (he was really interesting), Turgon and Finrod Felagund. Oh, and how can I forget Huan? He was awesome. I'm petty sure I'm forgetting some, so I'll post more later
Old 07-13-2010, 04:36 AM   #82
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
Finrod. One of the few elves who was never a jerk.
Hey! I don't think Fingon was a jerk Which reminds me...Fingolfin and Beleg are also some of my favourites
Old 07-14-2010, 05:30 AM   #83
morwen edhelwen
Haunting Spirit

morwen edhelwen has just left Hobbiton.
-Favourite character?

Three- Turin Turambar, his mother Morwen Edhelwen, and the version of Galadriel who participated in the Noldor rebellion. I like dark-ish, morally grey heroes. (:
morwen edhelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #84
finwesfallen
Newly Deceased

finwesfallen has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree Celebrimbor!

...cuz there's a serious backstory to this guy, and I think he's awesome! I also have a thing for Maedhros, Maglor, Finrod and Turgon!
finwesfallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #85
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Eol, hands down. Nearly ever aspect of Eol's character ran counter to the standard Tolkien Elf. The James Dean of the Eldar.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #86
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I might have to go with Tuor. Talking one on one with the Lord of the Waters and agreeing to work for him had to have taken some nerve.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #87
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Talking one on one with the Lord of the Waters and agreeing to work for him had to have taken some nerve.
Are you gonna tell him no?
Old 07-17-2010, 10:25 PM   #88
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Are you gonna tell him no?
Túrin did. At least he ignored Ulmo's advice regarding Nargothrond.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:06 PM   #89
spirit_of_fire
Pile O'Bones

spirit_of_fire has just left Hobbiton.
1. Feanor - He slammed the door in the face of the dark lord, he fought on unconcerned as balrogs smote and burned him, his voice was so persuasive and moving that the herald of manwe had no reply for him.. simply bowed and left, the fire of his spirit was so hot that his body was consumed when it departed at his death.

2. Galadriel - She was there through it all, and she survived, from the first battle between morgoth and the noldor, to the ultimate defeat of sauron at the end of the third age. On top of that, she bore one of the rings of power, and resisted the lure of the one ring, even going so far as aiding frodo in destroying the one, even though she knew it meant the end of lorien.

3. Legolas(books) - He was a loyal, faithful friend, a peerless archer, cool and calm... except when he saw the balrog("ai! a balrog!"), pretty humble for an elvish prince, and he stayed true all the way through, first in the fellowship, then tracking down merry and pippin, then through all the battles and right up to the gates of mordor. He stayed in middle earth long after the longing for the sea woke in him, to stay with his friend gimli.
spirit_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:07 AM   #90
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit_of_fire View Post
1. Feanor - He slammed the door in the face of the dark lord, he fought on unconcerned as balrogs smote and burned him, his voice was so persuasive and moving that the herald of manwe had no reply for him.. simply bowed and left, the fire of his spirit was so hot that his body was consumed when it departed at his death.

2. Galadriel - She was there through it all, and she survived, from the first battle between morgoth and the noldor, to the ultimate defeat of sauron at the end of the third age. On top of that, she bore one of the rings of power, and resisted the lure of the one ring, even going so far as aiding frodo in destroying the one, even though she knew it meant the end of lorien.

3. Legolas(books) - He was a loyal, faithful friend, a peerless archer, cool and calm... except when he saw the balrog("ai! a balrog!"), pretty humble for an elvish prince, and he stayed true all the way through, first in the fellowship, then tracking down merry and pippin, then through all the battles and right up to the gates of mordor. He stayed in middle earth long after the longing for the sea woke in him, to stay with his friend gimli.
Fëanor's amazing. No one can replace him. No one. And I wish we had gotten a closer view of his sons.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:36 AM   #91
spirit_of_fire
Pile O'Bones

spirit_of_fire has just left Hobbiton.
Same, especially maedhros. There were hardly any details on Amras & Amrod, or Maglor except for him being a bard of surpassing talent.

Actually there are some more of my favourites: Maglor & Maedhros, they rode in and attacked their kin to retrieve that last two available silmarils, which was evil, but I think it was the power of the oath working once more, and they were loathe to do so. Imagine that though, assaulting the victorious host of the valar that just defeated the dark lord and all his might.
spirit_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #92
ecthelion
Pile O'Bones

ecthelion has just left Hobbiton.
The silmarillion has so many good characters that it is hard to pick one but if I could pick three they would be: Feanor, Beleg, and Meadhros.
ecthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:51 PM   #93
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up Húrin

My favourite is Húrin. Not only did he fight Morgoth on the field of battle; he still defied him when taken prisoner, despite the danger to him and his family. I always get a thrill when I read of him calling Morgoth 'an escaped thrall of the Valar'. We have to remember that 'thrall' was the term for a slave in Scandinavian culture. For him to say that to one who was the most powerful being in Arda and who claimed to be King of the World was quite something.

I was also impressed, and sniggered a little, at his response to Morgoth pointing out that his family was at his mercy: 'You have none'.

This probably explains why, despite everything Morgoth did to him and his family, he never asked for mercy.

What a man...
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #94
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Fingolfin: riding up to the Thangorodrim, banging on the gates, and challenging Morgoth to a duel.

Fingon takes a close second. Can't find Maedhros, so-- I'll sit here with my harp, and sing, in the shadow of the Thangorodrim.

The gates of Hell shall not prevail against the Faithful.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #95
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit_of_fire View Post
Same, especially maedhros. There were hardly any details on Amras & Amrod, or Maglor except for him being a bard of surpassing talent.

Actually there are some more of my favourites: Maglor & Maedhros, they rode in and attacked their kin to retrieve that last two available silmarils, which was evil, but I think it was the power of the oath working once more, and they were loathe to do so. Imagine that though, assaulting the victorious host of the valar that just defeated the dark lord and all his might.
Ah yes. I adore Maglor, but I wish Tolkien had written more about him.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:29 AM   #96
Finrod Felagund
Haunting Spirit

Finrod Felagund has just left Hobbiton.
My favorite characters are Finrod, Sauron, Fingolfin, Huan, Barahir, and Gil-Galad.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:31 AM   #97
Finrod Felagund
Haunting Spirit

Finrod Felagund has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
"Be-ELZEBUB has a devil put aside for me, for me, for MEEEEE!"
Cute signature, Galadriel. Bohemian Rhapsody, right?
Old 09-29-2010, 05:11 AM   #98
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finrod Felagund View Post
Cute signature, Galadriel. Bohemian Rhapsody, right?
Oh yes oh yes But I changed it, because I think it was giving the impression that I was a lunatic. If I had it my way, I'd quote Roald Dahl and Terry Pratchett every two seconds
Old 10-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #99
Ozban
Haunting Spirit

Ozban has just left Hobbiton.
Mandos, Amandil (although my admiration for this character is rather specific) and so many times presented Finrod.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:28 PM   #100
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

xMellrynxMaidenx has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
Eol
Finrod
Glorfindel
Beren

But out of these four Eol. He's number one, hands down.
~|And all will turn, to silver glass. A light on the water, Grey ships pass, Into the West. |~ "Few now remember them...yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folks that are heedless."
xMellrynxMaidenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #101
Archaic Elf
Animated Skeleton

Archaic Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Naming one character is very difficult.

Feanor: His arrogance, ambition, and self-importance are unrivaled by any one else outside of Sauron and Morgoth. His body was burned to ash when he died and his spirit flew away to Mandos. That's pretty intense and perfectly illustrates the fire of his will. Amazing. It's just too bad he dies so soon in the novel.

Thingol: He was a favorite the first time I read the book. He was married to Melian (a Maia) and ruled the kingdom of Doriath. So life was pretty good for him until Beren showed up. Thingol doesn't really do too much in the novel, but I always thought he was a cool character.

Other favorites include Turin for having one of the best stories in the novel and Beleg Strongbow for being wise and a great warrior that stays loyal to Turin till the end. Beleg's a very heroic character.

All of the sons of Feanor are interesting in their way, but we don't get to know all of them that well. Maedhros and Maglor are perhaps the most interesting, especially Maglor since we never see what exactly becomes of him.

Eol, the dark elf, is interesting but not a favorite.

I can't rank these characters at all right now.

Last edited by Archaic Elf; 10-12-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Archaic Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:37 PM   #102
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30 View Post
Fingon takes a close second. Can't find Maedhros, so-- I'll sit here with my harp, and sing, in the shadow of the Thangorodrim.
You know, I've always wondered how all elves manage to carry a HARP wherever they go...along with all their bows and swords and mail and all the rest O.O

During my second read of Return of the Noldor I took a closer look at the bit with Maedhros and Fingon and said, "Wait a minute! Why in God's name would someone carry a musical instrument on a rescue mission?"
Old 10-13-2010, 11:43 PM   #103
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Túrin did. At least he ignored Ulmo's advice regarding Nargothrond.
Not directly, I think
Old 10-14-2010, 07:42 AM   #104
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
Leaf

Quote:
You know, I've always wondered how all elves manage to carry a HARP wherever they go...along with all their bows and swords and mail and all the rest O.O

During my second read of Return of the Noldor I took a closer look at the bit with Maedhros and Fingon and said, "Wait a minute! Why in God's name would someone carry a musical instrument on a rescue mission?"
I'm glad I wasn't the only one to think the same.

But it does make you wonder though, right? I mean, to get off topic somewhat, you even saw the flute boy and drummer boy marching in the front during the Revolutionary times...how did they manage to survive?!

And thus, I came to the conclusion that this is what happens when elves become bored on life threatening missions in general. they take harps and what have you along with them to...lift their spirits up and keep them motivated.
~|And all will turn, to silver glass. A light on the water, Grey ships pass, Into the West. |~ "Few now remember them...yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folks that are heedless."
Old 10-15-2010, 01:50 AM   #105
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMellrynxMaidenx View Post
But it does make you wonder though, right? I mean, to get off topic somewhat, you even saw the flute boy and drummer boy marching in the front during the Revolutionary times...how did they manage to survive?!

And thus, I came to the conclusion that this is what happens when elves become bored on life threatening missions in general. they take harps and what have you along with them to...lift their spirits up and keep them motivated.
Guahahaha. Just think of what would happen if there was no comic relief/motivation/'Do You Hear the People Sing?' There's a very nice picture on Deviantart, of Fingon before he sets out to Thangorodrim, and the artist has actually put a little harp along with the rest of his gear, hanging from his arm. I can't post the link here sadly, it's not working.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #106
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

Leaf

Haha! 'Tis very true it wouldn't be as amusing to read without the comic relief added in.

Hmm, I went to Deviantart and tried looking for it myself, but couldn't find it.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:22 AM   #107
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Silmaril

Fëanor. Because it's great there are people who dare to question authority even at the risk of an eternal curse. Plus having your body consumed by the fire in your soul... who wouldn't like that?
Old 10-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #108
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Fëanor. Because it's great there are people who dare to question authority even at the risk of an eternal curse. Plus having your body consumed by the fire in your soul... who wouldn't like that?
Leave it to you to bring that up.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:44 AM   #109
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
I agree with you completely, Agan. Fëanor fanciers of the world unite! Leave it to him to make his own destiny and ignore the stuffy Valar.

I have to say though, as much as I sometimes appreciate Fëanor it is Ungoliant whom I truly admire most. She did whatever she pleased and 'accomplished' amazing things. Silly Melkor and his pet Balrogs, she could have been a great recurring character.

Last edited by Laurinquë; 10-17-2010 at 12:46 AM. Reason: red spiders
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:33 AM   #110
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
it is Ungoliant whom I truly admire most. She did whatever she pleased and 'accomplished' amazing things.
Ouch, how could I forget her? She's truly admirable, not the least because she's about the only independent female character in Tolkien's books. I am convinced she's portrayed as such demon only because the patriarchies of Middle-Earth couldn't stomach her kind of woman - I mean, what if she had talked to our daughters and brainwashed them to leave their father's home and the chance of a good marriage in pursuit of their own happiness and fortune?!
Old 10-17-2010, 12:14 PM   #111
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Quote:
Originally posted by Aganzir
Ouch, how could I forget her? She's truly admirable, not the least because she's about the only independent female character in Tolkien's books
Well, there is Galadriel, and Erendis and Tar-Acalime- a girl who had less tolerance for her consort then Queen Victoria showed to Al.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:23 AM   #112
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Ouch, how could I forget her? She's truly admirable, not the least because she's about the only independent female character in Tolkien's books.
Hmm. Well, as Felagund said, there's Galadriel, not to mention Éowyn, and then there's Aredhel too.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #113
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMellrynxMaidenx View Post
Haha! 'Tis very true it wouldn't be as amusing to read without the comic relief added in.

Hmm, I went to Deviantart and tried looking for it myself, but couldn't find it.
http://aautio.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d1064lg

Here it is.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #114
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Ouch, how could I forget her? She's truly admirable, not the least because she's about the only independent female character in Tolkien's books. I am convinced she's portrayed as such demon only because the patriarchies of Middle-Earth couldn't stomach her kind of woman - I mean, what if she had talked to our daughters and brainwashed them to leave their father's home and the chance of a good marriage in pursuit of their own happiness and fortune?!
I'm confused. You're saying that a good female character is a hideous monster who consumes all light and turns it into entangling, deceitful webs of absolute darkness and despair?
Old 10-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #115
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

Leaf

Quote:
Oh my, that is a really great drawing!

Haha, I could see many reactions to this piece of art as well, for those who don't know Fingon that is.

1. Sword and sheath. Check.

2. Helmet with the complete protective armour. Check.

3. Knife. Check

4. Bow and a quiver of arrows. Check.

5. A harp for musical entertainment. Che-wait, what? Really? A harp?!

People just don't understand the importance of the harp at all.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:36 PM   #116
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Off the top of my head, Mîm the Dwarf. There's so many interesting shades and facets to him - his mysterious backstory as the last (?) of a race of outcasts, whose history is only hinted at, his resentment (not quite unjustified) of the Elvish upstarts who displaced his people, his grudging respect for Túrin... And his dialogues with Túrin's outlaws in the Narn are just priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip
I'm confused. You're saying that a good female character is a hideous monster who consumes all light and turns it into entangling, deceitful webs of absolute darkness and despair?
Not to mention an uneducated glutton to whom the highest products of the jeweller's art are just food.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #117
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Galadriel, Erendis, Tar-Ancalime, Éowyn, Aredhel... Yeah, but they all were slaves to their heteronormative patriarchal societies which basically forced a woman to get married and have kids, even made her believe she couldn't be happy without doing it. While Ungoliant coupled with other spiders and devoured them afterwards. Now there's a good female role model!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
Skip, how can you be confused? You know me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Not to mention an uneducated glutton to whom the highest products of the jeweller's art are just food.
Sheesh! Male conspiracy to discredit the only M-E woman who stood up for herself!
Old 10-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #118
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Melkor eeevvvvvvvvviiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllll!!!!! ! For some reason I always side with the evil characters. Maybe cause they all end up dying in the end.
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #119
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I have to admit to being a Maedhros fangirl. That guy is just awesome. *wipes drool* *hides* Well seriously, I think he is an admirable character yet not an all too polished hero without faults. I don't like those except for Finrod Felagund for whom i have a soft spot too.

I also like Galadriel a lot, and Melian too although the end of her story is not very inspiring. Morwen and Húrin are cool so I often wonder how come they managed to have such a jerk for a son. Several of the minor characters in Narn are lovely as well - Andróg, Aerin, Sador, Gwindor, Brandir...

And one of my favourites in the Sil is Haleth. You don't hear about her much but she's just cool.

Lastly, Sauron is sometimes just awesomely evil in the Sil. He's so much cooler there than in LotR...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:53 PM   #120
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
I'm back to Melian again. I think the circles of the world need more 'girdling'... more defenses against the darkness. Galadriel had her guard against the darkness; but Melian's was formidable too. And she could sing.