Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2002, 01:23 PM   #1
Dwarin Thunderhammer
Khazad-Doomed

Dwarin Thunderhammer has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye Roll Out The Barrels RPG

=============================================

Findereg approached the cellar and sighed. He didn't know how much of the wine and supplies the Court had used at the party the night before, but from his admitedly biased view, it had seemed exorbidant.

He reached the door and nodded to the Wine Steward before going in. "How are our supplies this morning, Luinlos?" He asked.

The Steward shook his head. "Not good, sir," He replied, "The party last night used up most of our wine supply. I can't say for the food, though."

Findereg nodded. It was as expected. He entered the room and frowned. It was worse than he'd thought. Apparently there were only two casks of white left and no red at all. This wouldn't do at all! With another sigh, he made his way past the almost empty racks to the pantries beyond.

The foodstuffs weren't as low as the wine, but they still needed to be replenished. Well, he'd put a trading mission off long enough anyway. Some of the more perishable items were beginning to spoil. He left the room and made his way toward the upper floors to find Luinlathomë, the Head of Household.

He found her in the kitchen and told her of the need for a trading expedition to Laketown. Always amenable to his requests, she quickly set it up, warning him that he would need some guards in adition to the traders. He nodded. He knew that the Greenwood was no longer as safe as it used to be. He went off to find his traders and guards.

---Susan Delgado
Old 12-09-2002, 03:00 PM   #2
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

"Careful how much weight you put on that cart, Armin," Perin shouted over to his strongarm employee who was loading full casks and barrels onto one of several wains, "that's the one with broken axle we had to fix on the last trip, and I don't want to overload it until we can return to Dain's people for a proper replacement." Arminhemmar Bhekinsuda, 'Armin' for short, was a large, heavily-muscled man who barely grunted as he lifted the barrels from the ground and placed them gingerly on the wooden cart. He could probably have taken Perin's head off with just a twist-and-tug from one of his meaty, calloused hands, but Perin was usually right about such things, and thinking was not one of Armin's great skills.

Which was how Perin wanted it. He liked his employees big, strong, and honest, but none too bright -- Perin did not see any reason why he should teach his hard-learned secrets to those smart enough to become future competitors. And it was a good deal for Armin and the others in Perin's employ -- Perin was a fair man who paid them well and treated them better than they would have received from any other trader/haulers. And woe to the one who tried to cheat one of his men -- that one would usually wind up having a "conversation" with Perin about how many limbs the cheated employee would be permitted to rip from the cheater unless restitution was immediate and complete. Given the good pay, the fair treatment, and his willingness to defend them, Perin's employees were fiercely loyal, and Perin could trust them completely. A good arrangement for all.

Perin was now in Gondor, supervising the loading of goods to go back north destined for Laketown, and further north to the Iron Mountains...pipeweed and wines and cheeses, and case after case of that strange bean from south Harad from which black 'coffee' brew was made. 'Twas getting to be a popular item up among the dwarves of the Iron Hills, and it could be procured cheaply here near to where it was grown. The dwarves seemed almost addicted to the stuff, and they paid dearly for it. Especially since he had to skirt the south edge of Mirkwood to get it there.

Mirkwood. Yes, Mirkwood, he thought as he was rubbing his brow with his hand. Mirkwood was definitely getting to be a headache. Things were definitely not going well near to Mirkwood, and were not getting any better. So far he and his men had been able to beat off those who had tried to attack them, but the brigands were getting bolder, and larger in numbers. He preferred to leavea a wide berth between Mirkwood and his caravan, but that meant extra time, and the roads there were not in such good repair. Another broken axle was something he did not need.

Nevertheless, the short, burly trader had to make up his mind. They were scheduled to leave that afternoon...

[ December 09, 2002: Message edited by: Thenamir ]
Old 12-10-2002, 04:15 PM   #3
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

Fin scurried down the passages of the palace. He had just left the kitchens, a place that he frequented regulerly in case any of the maids were free. But today there had been an abundance of people there, off-duty guards, other squires. Apparently they had all been hiding from Findereg because he wanted them all to help with a trading mission.
"Well I think it will be good," Fin thought. He moved around the palace, searching for Findereg and after ayt least half-an-hour he found him sat in a window seat, looking worried.
“Well, hello Findorfin,” Findereg started, unused to talking with the somewhat shameless elf courtier.
“Hello, my friend, I have been hearing about this trading mission. Bad business that, no one wants to go!”
Fin ran his hand through his hair, hoping it looked the type to take part in the mission.
“It is a problem,” Findereg agreed, nodding his head.
“Well how about me coming along then, I can hold a sword and talk anything out of anyone.” Fin puffed his chest out, of course Findereg would want him to come.
“Are you sure you’d want to come, all the dangers of Mirkwood and the less than sublime people of Laketown?”
“It will be grand, “ Findorfin continued, “I would love to, well that’s settled, and..” he winked and nudged Findereg, “once everyone knows I’m going, you should get a few females begging to come.”
He winked again and turned away, walking back along the passage. As he turned the corner, he waved a hand and called, “It will be great, you’ll see!”
"There, he won't have so much trouble in finding people anymore," Fin thought, and didn't he look happy when I said I'd join." He moved off along the passage, whistling a tune.

[ December 11, 2002: Message edited by: the real findorfin ]
Old 12-11-2002, 05:57 AM   #4
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saurreg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saurreg Send a message via MSN to Saurreg
Sting

Somewhere South of Mirkwood

=================================

Thaurbar Culcollo allowed himself a wry smile as he witnessed the angry woman chiding and dragging her drenched younger son from the river bed by the ear while his older brother followed behind meekly. The two rascals were playing tag by the stream and in the midst of adolescent exuberance and misplaced attention, the younger one fell in. He wasn't hurt and did not require medical aid which, allowed Thaurbar to remain concealed and out of sight.

The Atani family provided Thaurbar his source of amusement and interest for the last two days. It wasn't as if all riders of Imladris were always that free, but in this case there wasn't really anything Thaurbar could do. The sense of a growing presence at Dol Guldor and increased sightings of fell beasts in the Brown lands had alarmed the white council. In response, King Elrond ordered all available riders to converge at the south of mirkwood, observe and report all happenings. By the time Thaurbar had arrived west of the Misty Mountains three days out from Imladris, Halbarad and three other rangers were already patrolling the boundaries of the forest and two others of their company were coming up from the southlands. That was seven days ago. By the fifth day of his arrival, Thaurbar was rewarded with more and more sights of grey riders; Dunadan and Eldar alike approaching from all directions.

With the watchful rangers keeping vigilance (Infact Elrohir himself was coming with his cohort), Thaurbar's office was not required and it was by chance meeting along the River Celduin, that he encountered the migrating Atani family. With the issue of Dol Guldor resolved (at least from Thaurbar's point of view), Thaurbar decided to direct all his attention towards the human family and ensure their safety. This was done in secrecy for the Sindar felt no need to make his prescence known to them especially in these times. And so the human family found their journey eventless and smooth-sailing not knowing that a elven rider scoured the length road before they took it, or patrolled the area while they slept. It was a rewardless task but one that the elf found bearable. For when the family travelled, the man and woman would sing their folk songs, pleasing to his ears while their children entertained him with their antics.

But Thaurbar Culcollo had followed the family for long, and the remaining part of their journey laid not in his region of duty. As he watched the threesome make their way back towards the campsite, he sighed reluctantly and rosed. Mounting his black steed, he said a little prayer for the family to Elbereth before making his way northwards towards the Region of Esgaroth.

[ December 11, 2002: Message edited by: Saurreg ]
Old 12-11-2002, 12:56 PM   #5
Kiara
Animated Skeleton

Kiara has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Market day in Esgaroth," cawed the ebony-colored bird "Market day, Market day in Esgaroth."

"Shoo, you fool bird," muttered the woman at the desk near his perch, whose thick hair and snapping eyes reflected the hue of the raven's fine feathers,"Your reminders do me no good, I am not to go to market today, next month, or any month in the near future, it seems, because your master thinks my mind is not worth the dust beneath his warty feet!"

"Dust! Beneath his feet," cackled the bird gleefully. The raven, perched on her left, with the mischievous gleam in his eye, served as a memory-prod for her master. Mr. Dondarrion was a wily accountant in the trading hierarchy of Laketown; she, however, was the most trod-upon "dust" of an assistant to be found in the group, at least it seemed so to her.

"I will not be cawed at, you Jackdaw! Get away from here, you'll ruin my notations!" Her icy expression of disdain spoke of the steely heart within. Opening her mouth for further rebuke of the bird (she was used to venting in this fashion, after all, the bird was a good arguer, though it was only a repetition of her own tongue lashings), she was suddenly interrupted by the nervous tremor of her master's voice:

"Honestly, Rhiannon! I do not have warty feet, first of all, and secondly--how many times do I have to tell you?--the bird does no good to me at all if you have clouded his mind with your complaining! Now please, back to those notations, I need them by the 'morrow!"

[ December 16, 2002: Message edited by: Kiara ]
"What if you slept, and what if in your sleep you dreamed, and what if, in your dream, you went to paradise and there plucked a beautiful flower...and what if when you awoke, you held that flower in your hand? Ah, what then?"
Old 12-13-2002, 03:55 PM   #6
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

"Taurion! Daro!" shouted a voice.

Taurion halted in his tracks as the voice commanded him, expecting it to be one of his commanders. He let out a sigh of disappointment. The commanders said they were going to give him a day of rest.

Rest. That he worked so hard that he needed rest was a depressing thought. His parents told him of purer days, when one could wander in the beautiful forests without a weapon. But it was a better possibility that he would be able to prove himself, now that the woods were perilous.

"Taurion!"

Taurion turned and saw a messenger that he knew.

"Ai! Greetings, Lagordal!" Taurion greeted, smiling brightly, "What news?"

"Findereg has requested your audience," the Elf said seriously.

"For what reason?" Taurion asked.

"Have you not heard?" Lagordal asked, incredulously.

"I have been patrolling," Taurion admitted.

"Ah, well most likely it is for supplies. Wine and the like."

"Wine, eh?" Taurion smiled a little.

"Not for you, Taurion. Now get over there," Lagordal said, still frowning a little.

"Ai! Be merry!" Taurion said.

"These are not merry times. And I wish you would be more serious," Lagordal warned, "Your jovial nature will be your downfall."

Taurion laughed and departed from his friend, who stood, shaking his head a bit.

"You requested my presence?" Taurion said respectfully. He had finally found Findereg.

"Ah, yes," Findereg said.

"About supplies, yes?" Taurion said.

"Yes, you have heard. Well I was-" Findereg began.

"Well, my answer is that I will most certainly accompany the mission!" Taurion interrupted. He looked and saw Findereg did not seem to appreciate being cut off.

"I am sorry," Taurion quickly apologized.

"Yes, but you accept?" Findereg asked.

"Of course. Why would I not?"

"Well, many have refused," Findereg said.

"They are cowards," Taurion said, bluntly, "So I take it I was not your first choice? Never mind, do not answer that. I do not want to know. I will be ready in a few hours."

"Well, we need-" Findereg began again, but Taurion had already left and was making his way towards his quarters merrily.

Taurion sang gently to himself as he made his way back, smiling.

"Taurion!" came another voice, this time female.

Taurion turned.

"Lady Mereniel!" Taurion smiled at the Elf maiden.

"Where are you strutting to so quickly?" she asked, smiling at the Elf.

"Nowhere that you should know about," Taurion said.

"Would you mind if I accompanied you?" Mereniel smiled even brighter.

"Why?" Taurion asked, honestly puzzled why she would want to do so.

"I do not wish to walk alone," Mereniel said, obviously desiring to accompany him.

"I shall not be the best company," Taurion said, beginning to walk faster.

"Oh, well...maybe another day," Mereniel said, disappointed.

"Yes," Taurion said briefly. He sped up a bit more, and the Elf maiden stopped, allowing him to pull far ahead.

Taurion came to his quarters and quietly opened the room and slipped in to begin packing...

[ December 13, 2002: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 12-14-2002, 11:09 AM   #7
Gimli the Dwarf
Pile O'Bones

Gimli the Dwarf has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Elentar looked out from his booth at the soldier and the messenger as they talked. He was selling weapons now mostly archery and knives. He had given all of his wine to the royal sellers because of the bad shortage.
He is very bored with sitting here and decides to get up and asks the messenger,"How do I join the expedition? You will need a trader such as I who can defend himself and is also very good at striking a bargin."
The messenger turned to face him taken aback.
He says, "My brave fellow Elf go to the royal palace and offer your services to the king!"
Elentar then takes down his both and begins a long treck to the royal palace.

[ December 20, 2002: Message edited by: Gimli the Dwarf ]
Old 12-14-2002, 12:02 PM   #8
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

"Findereg, there you are!"

He looked up at the sound of his name. "Yes, Lagordal?"

"There's a merchant who wants to join your expedition. Elentur. He's trying to find you, but as he ran off, he mentioned something about the palace; I think he may be heading there."

"The palace? Why would he go there? Thranduil doesn't know anything about trade."

Lagordal shrugged. "I don't know, but you might want to go and head him off before he embarrases himself."

Findereg nodded. "Thanks Lagordal. I'll go there now."

Lagerdal nodded and walked off and Findereg made his way toward the palace wing. He knew who Elentur was but had never met him, and now wasn't sure what to think of him. Why would he think Thranduil was in charge of trade? The king knew nothing about it, and Findereg would be surprised if the subject even crossed his mind except when something he wanted was not available. He shrugged. All he could hope was that Elentur wouldn't do something equally thoughtless when they reached Esgarath.

As he approached the audience hall, Luìnlathomë came out, lips set in a thin line. Findereg was too late. He sighed and said, "I take it Elentur has been here?"

Luìnlathomë made an irritated noise in her throat and nodded. "He been rushing around and demanding to see Thranduil at the top of his lungs. We've got him calmed now, but are you sure you want to bring him along?"

Findereg shrugged. "I need a trader and he actually volunteered. All I can hope is that he doesn't make a fool of himself in Esgarath."

Luìnlathomë snorted at the word "volunteered", but nodded and walked asway with a muttered, "Good luck." Findereg entered the audience hall to find Elentur sitting in a chair on the far end, looking sullen.

"Well, Elentur, I guess you're coming to Esgarath with us."

Elentur frowned. "Who are you?"

Findereg frowned. "I am Findereg, the person you should have come to if you wanted to go on a trading expedition."

Elentur got to his feet. "Oh. Well, can I go?"

"Yes. I'll contact you when we're leaving." He walked away, leaving the trader in the hall.

[ December 14, 2002: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 12-14-2002, 01:13 PM   #9
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

>Northern Mirkwood, not far from Esgaroth<

The tinkling of water was getting louder and louder. "There must be a creek here somewhere", Youlielle thought. She held her breath for a moment, trying desperatly to determine where the sound came from. There, from her right. Making almost no sound, she walked a few paces, her slender figure becoming part of the world around her. No one could have heard or seen her, exept maybe an elf. For years, walking this quiet had been her special gift, and now, in the wild, it was extremly usefull. The girl stopped. Her ears had not betrayed her, she was standing in front of a small creek that flowing hurringly out of a pile of rocks."A spring",she said to herself,"good! It´s getting dark. I might as well spend the night here..." But first, a drink. Kneeling down, she untied the large and bulgy bundle knotted tight to her belt. Together with the woolen blanket she usually carried on her back, it contained her most precious-and only- belongings: a knife, a small kettle, some food. With a yank, she pulled out a small drinking cup, which she held under the water. The drink felt cool in her dry mouth. As she hastily refilled the cup, her eyes fell on the picture of a girl in the water.
Her eyes were so dark brown, they almost seemed black. Tall and slender she sat there, her evenly dark hair in two messy braids, fraiming the friendly face. She was wearing a navyblue linnen gown, over that a shorther, woolen overdress and a beautifully embroiderd belt. She was pale and looked troubled... Youlielle tore her eyes away from her reflection. It didn´t do her any good, just sittting here, staring in the nowhere. Instead, she got up and started to collect firewood. Half an hour later, she huddled herself in front of a warm, pleasantly crackling fire. It was about time she reached the river; she had to cross it! If only she knew a bit better where she was! Youlielle yawned. Tomorrow the river. But first, sleep...

[ December 14, 2002: Message edited by: Manardariel ]

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]
Old 12-16-2002, 12:39 PM   #10
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

OCC:Sorry guys, Ive been in the land of the leprecauns for a while so i havent had a chance to post. Here you go though...

"Well, well, what did I tell you Findereg? Ive just arrived and no sooner do the ladies come flocking in, eh Aenara?"

Aenara Oakhelm ground her teeth as she rounded the corner to the sound of Findorfins voice, trying not to smile. The courtier had absolutely no respect really for the guard, or he hid it very well, but it was very hard to hate him; rather he was the sort of person you hated yourself for loving.

"Ah Findorfin. And may I ask whats your business on a trading mission?"

"Ah Aenara, ever the guard. I was just coming because, well, theres rather a lack of interest, but with my-handsome-self here, you ladies can hardly resist, even from the Guard eh?" He winked. Aenara raised an eyebrow and turned to Findoreg.

"Findoreg, the King has asked me to join you on this mission as one of the guards. I will be happy to accompany you." She bowed her head to him rather stiffly. Female guards always had to prove themselves more it seemed, and going on this trading mission felt like a comedown, a punishment almost. Aenara wished she knew what for.

Findoreg smiled however and nodded back. "We will be glad to have you accompanying us."

The female elf smiled back. She resented being on this mission, but she knew Findoreg to be easy, friendly company, and was glad it was him she was going with. Turning, she went to pack her bags and that, still trying not to smile as Fin continued with his shameless comments behind her...
Old 12-16-2002, 04:51 PM   #11
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Taurion smiled, satisfied. He stood back. His pack had still been nearly filled from just returning from his patrol of the land. He loved being out in the woods. It was dangerous, yes, but it was still peaceful-feeling. Although, he did miss the food and wine at the palace...

He looked at the filled pack, and then took his sword and put it delicately on his bed with his bow and quiver.

There was a knock on his chamber door. He opened it, dreading that it was Mereniel again, but it was Lagordal.

"What news?" Taurion said, smiling at his friend, "No! Wait. Come in first."

"You are packed already?" Lagordal asked, looking around at the pack and the weapons.

"Of course."

"But they are not leaving until they have enough travellers," Lagordal said, dubiously.

"It is better to be prepared," Taurion smiled.

Lagordal continued, "There have been more people accepted."

"Good," Taurion said, smiling, "Now be off with you! I know that you must have other work to attend to!"

"And you...?" Lagordal asked.

"I will go find some wine," Taurion smiled, "For I have not tasted it in a while."

Lagordal sighed and left, shaking his head slightly.

Taurion left, searching for one of his friends with which to enjoy the beverage he had missed of late...
Old 12-16-2002, 05:30 PM   #12
Gimli the Dwarf
Pile O'Bones

Gimli the Dwarf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elentar looked on as the expedition leader as he left the hall. He had never been so embarrased in his life. He left the palace under the glare of the palace guards. He came back to his booth and got out his favorite weapons, a bow and two long Elf knives. He also got his argumant rule book.

He thought, I will need it if I am as foolish in Esgorath as I was today. He sighs and sits down to read his boock trying to gather back his wits.

[ December 20, 2002: Message edited by: Gimli the Dwarf ]
Old 12-16-2002, 05:44 PM   #13
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

Findorfin moved along the passageways, eager to find some company, elven maids perhaps. Since he had talked with Findereg, and seen the lovely Aenara, he had noticed how deserted the corridors really were. Fin couldn’t understand it, why wouldn’t anybody want to be part of a daring journey through the unknown dangers creeping over Mirkwood. With this he could charm many a fair elf, telling tales of his bravery and honour. As he re-enacted an imaginery scene in the empty corridor, someone turned the corner in front of him. Fin stopped immediately and was off balance for a second, but regained his composure.

“Taurion,” he cried, flicking a loose tousle of hair behind his ear, “how are you?”

Fin had known Taurion for many years and although they were not that close, they had drunk together several times. Taurion had been busy in his own thoughts and had not noticed Fin until he had spoken. Or at least, that’s what Fin hoped.

“Fin, you rogue, how are you?”

Fin clapped his fellow elf in a hug around the shoulders.

“Fine, fine, now have you heard about this trip Findereg is planning? Good, good, I assume you will be going. Excellent, the lovely Aenara is coming as well, and maybe some other maidens will be tempted when they hear that the great Fin and Taurion are going!”

Fin smoothly added Taurion into the dream, knowing how to stay on the good side of people through flattery and charm. Taurion was good looking, but no match for the great court pleaser, Fin himself. A worthy drinking partner though!

“Please say you’re not on duty.”

Taurion shook his head.

“Excellent, then perhaps we could go and find some ale…or maybe some of those kitchen maids?” Fin laughed and let the question hang in mid-air.

[ December 16, 2002: Message edited by: the real findorfin ]

[ December 16, 2002: Message edited by: the real findorfin ]
Old 12-16-2002, 11:15 PM   #14
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
White-Hand

Derek paused in the doorway as Rhiannon finished her attack on the world in general and his feet and bird in particular. He ran his hands through his hair, and, as always, grimaced as he noted how little of it was left.

"Honestly, Rhiannon! I do not have warty feet, first of all, and secondly--how many times do I have to tell you?--the bird does no good to me at all if you have clouded his mind with your complaining! Now please, back to those notations, I need them by the 'morrow!" She looked up, startled but uncowed. "by the morrow!" cawed the raven shrilly, and she fixed the bird with a glare that would have killed any lesser being. Unsettled, it ducked its head. "honestly Rhiannon" it said, in a much more conciliatory tone, and flew over to perch on its master's shoulder.

"There now, see what you've done." Derek stroked the bird with nervous fingers, and spoke quickly. "You've gone and scared him. I need him in top condition for when the Elves arrive. You know that."

Rhiannon looked singularly unimpressed, and Derek smiled at her. The movement didn't come easily to him, and it looked like the deeply entrenched lines in his face would put up a fight for a moment before giving in, but he made the effort anyway. Rhiannon was a good secretary, she just had this awful notion that everyone was out to get her. That could be useful, and Derek had used it on more than one occasion to bully an opponent into giving away more than he wanted to, but it surely didn't help him in his day to day existence. He sighed. "Rhiannon, I've got to go into Esgaroth. Market day, you know. I need someone to come along and help me with my accounts. Is Joneth around?"

Rhiannon, who had looked up sharply at that, mumbled something that sounded suspiciously like profanity. "What?" Derek asked sharply. If there was one thing he couldn't stand in his employees, it was swearing. It didn't pay, and therefore, Derek had no use for it. "I said he's already there. Along with everyone else, master." Rhiannon had almost as good a scowl as he did himself, he noted approvingly. He thought for a moment. "Alright, then. I guess I can deal with it myself. Come along, Malbeth." He walked out the door, the raven on his shoulder. His voice floated back to where Rhiannon sat. "Don't forget the notation!"
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Old 12-17-2002, 01:24 AM   #15
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

The sun was already setting as the chestnut brown steed trotted towards the banks of the Mirkwood Forest River. It was sweating profusely and its nostrils flared. Thaurbar knew that the horse had reached the threshold of its endurance and could travel no more. Getting off her back, the eldar approached the head of the mare and stroked its forehead whilst whispering comforting praises into her drooped ears. The strain of fatigue had numbed the horse and she was initially unresponsive, but she soon regained her senses and nibbled gently on his fingers, a sign of affection. Thaurbar gave his mount a pat on the rump as the horse made its way to the waters for a well deserved drink.

The elven rider stood facing north and surveyed his surroundings. Towards his left four hours ride away was the Mirkwood forest, abode of the green elves and the seat of their king - Thrandruil, son of Oropher. Just to his right was an abandoned old redoubt, no doubt a relic from the past when free men of the region had to defend their homes from maraudering Easterlings and orcs. However with the establishment of the Kingdom of Rohan and Ecthelion II as steward of Gondor, threats from the East had greatly diminished and the need for such defences was no more. No men walked in these parts anymore for it was too far from any settlements and too close to the green elves, hence a perfect resting place for a rider of Rivendell.

Thaurbar turned towards his horse again and watched it grazed at the grass by the river bank. Like all Rivendellian beasts, she had a longer lifespan than her other counterparts, even those of Rohan. However time has taken its toil and Eastwind was fast approaching her twilight. Thaurbar knew that very soon he would have to bring her back to Imladris where she would spend the remainder of her life roaming free in the green vales until expiration. Just then it occurred to him that the lives of those whom he had sought to protect and secretly guide were also very short. Compared to his immortality, the Atani were simply flowers that blossom at dawn, reaching the height of their grandeur in the midday sun before withering by evening. He had been present when some of his Dunadan friends died and standing by their bedsides, he witnessed them turned glassy eyed and witless before darkness consumed them. And each time they died, Thaurbar felt as if a part of him disappeared as well leaving him empty and bitter.

"Not at all liberated from the cruelty of time are you, Eastwind?"

The mare simply looked at Thaurbar without comprehension as her master approached to lead her away.

"Then again, neither am I."

[ December 17, 2002: Message edited by: Saurreg ]

[ December 17, 2002: Message edited by: Saurreg ]
Old 12-18-2002, 05:36 PM   #16
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

"Ah, yes, the maidens," Taurion smiled. His face grew serious, "Although," he said, "Many of them are getting a bit too serious about his marriage business. I am trying to stay away from them...especially Mereniel..."

Fin laughed.

"What?" Taurion said, "I am not nearly ready to settle down...no matter what my parents ask!" He added the last as an afterthought.

Fin laughed, "Well, let us see to the drinks, in any event!"

They went off together to find some good company and drinking...

[ December 18, 2002: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 12-21-2002, 11:34 AM   #17
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Findereg finally found Taurion and Findorfin in the wine cellar, happily getting drunk with the Wine Steward, Luinlos. With a sigh of irritation, he fetched them back to their rooms and set them packing. He went around to Elentar, Aenara, and Celebmornie. They grumbled a bit but didn't argue too strenuously.

Luinlathome was there in the morning to see them off. She had organised the wain and the horses were waiting patiently for everyone to arrive. When they had, they took up their positions. Findereg noted with amusement that Findorfin and Celebmornie rode together at the rear of the train.

Luinlathome smiled and waved as they left. After he'd ridden a few yards, Findereg rode back and kissed her goodbye, and she snorted and said, "Go on, now, or they'll leave without you!" This was their ritual and it was a great comfort to both when they separated for days or weeks on his trading missions. With a final smile, he trotted his horse back to where the others were just disappearing onto the River Road.

[ December 21, 2002: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 12-21-2002, 01:17 PM   #18
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Aenara watched Findereg ride back to Luinlathome and give her a kiss before he rode back to them, and smiled. They were so close. And he was of course going on such a dangerous mission, a more cynical, bitter part of her brain muttered, the terrible perils of trading wine.

She heaved a sigh and turned back to the road.

"Ah the lovely Aenara. My my, we may have weeks in each others company. Can you think of anything better?"

The guard winced at the voice but didnt turn around as Fin rode up behind her. The courtier was not, however, looking completely at his best. "Weeks of each others company? Maybe Ill just kill myself now to spare myself the pain." She muttered before turning back to Fin.

"Findorfin, you look a little tired and, goodness, can it be...hungover?" She said, with an innocent grin that made his fade. Now it was his turn to cover his wince.

"Of course not dead Aenara. Just the exhaustion of the complete pleasure of your company." He replied smoothly, but she noticed the hesitation. As he rode ahead, Aenara allowed herself a slight smile before reprimanding herself. She wasnt meant to be enjoying this mission. Vala, this journey was that futile, she wasnt even meant to be on it! Frowning once again she rode onwards with the group.
Old 12-25-2002, 03:19 PM   #19
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Fin shook his head in an attempt to wake himself up.

"Pull yourself together," he thought, "it's your own fault, drinking too much!"

He moved his horse forward until he rode beside Findereg, and smiled painfully as his stomach and head caught up with him.

"So, exaulted leader, should we fear any trouble in these parts?"

Findereg 'umm'ed as if in thought.

"Not that I'm worried or anything," Fin put in, pulling himself upright as he felt himself slowly slipping from the saddle.

"Oh dear," he thought, "this could be a problem!"
Old 12-25-2002, 03:52 PM   #20
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Taurion sighed, and took a quick drink of water in the hopes of clearing his spinning mind.

He looked around at all of these lovers around him. He saw Mereniel behind at the castle, speaking to another maiden and pretending not to watch him leave. He quietly gave a sigh of indignation. He was too young. Yes, he was...he should not marry.

But, at the same time, everyone looked so happy. But he was too young and too free. He enjoyed the hunt too much...

He saw Fin slowly slipping off his saddle near him. Taurion debated whether he should help him or not. He finally decided that it was not his business and it would require too much motion of his pounding head. He watched, slightly amused, as Fin slowly slid, trying not to laugh out loud...
Old 12-25-2002, 04:34 PM   #21
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Aenara watched Fin slowly descending from his saddle with slight amusement. Looking up she saw Taurion also watching with a sort of fascination. The others mainly hadnt noticed or were watching in the same way as Taurion and Aenara herself.

Slipping...slipping...slipping...

With a sigh, Aenara moved her horse forward quickly, grabbing Fin as he dropped into her arms, murmering softly to himself. Completely out of it.

And that was the moment that it finally became too much for Taurion and he burst out laughing.

Glaring venomously at the hungover elf, Aenara then glanced back down at Fin, lying smiling and murmering slightly in her arms.

"Oh gods...Findoreg, I think we have a small problem."
Old 12-25-2002, 05:01 PM   #22
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Taurion saw the poisonous look that Aenara gave him, and he stopped laughing. His body shook a bit with pent up chuckles, but he contained them a bit.

He stopped and watched to see what was going to happen with Fin. Fin did have the habit of passing out after too much drinking, but he could usually control it...
Old 12-28-2002, 02:42 AM   #23
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Findereg shoved Taurion aside in his haste to see what the commotion was about and stopped short on the sight of Findorfin lying unconscious in a none-too-happy Aenara's arms. Unconscious? No, passed out. An Elf who had never learned to hold his liquor...with an aggrieved but resigned sigh, Findereg untangled Findorfin and Aenara and propped the trader back on his horse. He turned around and found Taurion still standing there, looking confused and a little sleepy himself. Aenara had (wisely) disappeared.

"Ah, Taurion, be a good lad and fetch me some rope, will you?"

Taurion looked confused. "Why do you want rope?"

"Look, don't argue. I need to to tie Findorfin here back onto the horse so we can get moving. We don't have time to wait around until he sobers up enough to ride."

"Oh, all right." Taurion disappeared into the pack string and didn't return for nearly fifteen minutes. When he did reach the horse Findereg was waiting less than patiently beside, he got no more than a curt grunt as thanks. Taurion did offer to help tie the sleeping elf on, though, and they were soon ready to get going. For safety, Taurion rode beside Findorfin's horse and held onto his friend's arm so there would be no accidents.
Old 12-28-2002, 01:37 PM   #24
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

"click-clack. Click-clack" Suprised, Youlielle´s ears picked up the sound of hoofes, clattering along. Hoofes? That meant a rider. Carefully, Youlielle sank a bit deeper in the shadows... she didn´t want to be seen. No rider would let a young, unacompanied girl pass him without asking questions or making comments. And she did not want that to happen.
"You better be carefull, girl. Don´t want to get yourself caught, do you?" She muttered to herself. They said the forest was full of dangers, monsters and even worse creatures. But they weren´t her greatest worry. What she was most scared of by now were people from the city, trying to force her back. But she would never, ever go back to Lake Town. It would be certain death. This journey was dangerous, but it was her only hope for life. She wouldn´t give up.

The hoofes came nearer. She heard voices in a strange, cold language. Youlielle crept away. A warning fear had filled her. This wasn´t a rider from to Lake Town. This was no man at all... suddenly, they were around her. Black figures, everywhere. She broke into a run. More creatures. She kicked, punched, despreatly looking for a way out. Something hit her legs, then her sholder. Searing pain filled her. Darkness...........

When she came to herself again, she was bleeding all over. Her legs hurt terribly. "So you´ve made it, girl. Gone and killed yourself.... " She closed her eyes again. Anything, even death had to better than this. But then, something in her stirred.
"Are you just going to give up? You´ve never given up before." A voice said in her head " Why now?Are you just going to lie down and die?? "
"No way,"she wisperd. "No way...."

[ December 29, 2002: Message edited by: Manardariel ]
Old 12-29-2002, 07:43 AM   #25
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

"Arhg!" Fin moaned as he opened his eyes. In front of him the train of horses was still winding and for a second he wondered that he had managed to stay on his horse whilst asleep.
Then he felt the rope and groaned again, turning a very deep red.

"I see your awake," Taurion chuckled.

"Taurion, you had to give me that last bottle of cider didn't you!"
His friends chuckled agin, before Fin asked, "who noticed?"

"Aenara."

"Oh dear!"

Taurion helped Fin untangle the ropes and Fin, feeling much better than before, rode up to Aenara.

With actual sincerity and no charm intended, Fin said, "thank you Aenara."
Old 12-29-2002, 02:08 PM   #26
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Aenara saw Fin riding up to her looking sheepish and for a brief moment she actually considered just galloping away. No, wait...good grief, he was sober...

"Thank you Aenara." The courtier said sincerely. Aenara blinked in surprise. What? No sarcasm?

"What- I mean, oh, erm, thankyou Findorfin. Yes. It was-" Ok now we were just going into the realms of untruth if she said it was a pleasure. "-fine."

He smiled at her. Actually smiled, with barely a trace of grin. She found herself grinning back; so he was an elf. He opened his mouth but stopped as he saw Aenara looking past him. What was that shape?

It could be passed off as some sort of rock or a bit of log, but those things didnt havea tendency to wearing clothing. Mind you, neither did men and elves have a tendency to wearing such tattered rags; but they had, she reckoned once been fine clothing...

"Good grief..." The guard murmered before raising her voice. "Findoreg! Findoreg, come and look here."

The other elf rode over, muttering under his breath about having had enough of drunk courtiers until he saw the figure and stopped as dead as Aenara. Without a word they rode over and Aenara dismounted beside the girl, for that was what it was.

Kneeling down she turned the girl over gently to be met with a solid kick in the arm, followed by an anguished cry. A pair of beautiful but terrified eyes opened in the girls bruised face. Well, at least she was alive...
Old 12-29-2002, 03:14 PM   #27
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Taurion wondered what all the commotion was about. He brought his horse near to them rather quickly.

"Taurion! Do not run her over!" a voice yelled to him.

Still confused, Taurion swung nimbly off of the horse, and flinched when he landed, his head still hurting a little. He went over to where others were standing. They did not let him into the circle, so he stood on his toes, trying to see what was happening.

Finally, he found a small opening and looked at where they were gathered. He felt himself take in a quick breath and his knees almost buckle. Quickly, he turned, with fire in his eye, and made back towards the horse.

"Where are you going?" Findorfin asked Taurion, turning away from the woman for a second.

"We must catch the person that did this!" Taurion said, looking at Fin with fire in his eye and daring him to stop him.

"No!" Fin said, looking back at Taurion, but staying with the others and the woman, "We must tend to her first."

"Then let me go!" Taurion said. Fin did not reply, but Taurion could see that he was not going to get to go. He sighed and returned to the group, careful not to look at the girl again.

However, he could still see the eyes. Those eyes...so large and innocent in appearance. The eyes, he knew, would haunt him for quite a bit of time. He silently cursed the evil in the world and wondered how any creature could do any such deed to such a fair creature as this girl?
Old 12-30-2002, 05:28 AM   #28
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

The west wind blew and brought along a stench all too familiar to Thaurbar. There were orcs about and the direction of the wind indicated that they were to his left, from Mirkwood.

Thaurbar got off his biouvac and hurried towards Eastwind. Untieing the mare's bridle from the slender tree trunk he had secured it on, he leapt onto the horse's back and galloped towards the east along the river.

[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-30-2002, 11:30 AM   #29
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Youlielle felt hands turning her around. Who were these people? Why did they bother about her? Her mind was a single blur. She kicked, just to make sure they weren´t enemies. Not a good idea- the seering pain was back. She cried aout, but stifeld the cry, when she oppend her eyes. She was looking in a face, fairer than anything she has ever seen before. A women was pering at her, looking suprised. Something deep down, told her not to worry. She was safe. It didn´t matter who they were, or what they would do with her, or where they were going. All that mattered was that they wouldn´t hurt her. With their help, she would live.

[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-30-2002, 11:54 AM   #30
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Aenara rubbed her arm; the girl could kick. Peering at the girl she pushed a few strands of dark hair from the girls freckled face, examining the bruise high on her left cheek. Otherwise the girls face was almost unmarked. It was a pity the rest of her was not.

"Who would do such a thing..." Aenara murmered in elvish and the girl looked at her alarmed.

"Elf?" She whispered quietly, surprised.

"Yes, child." She answered in the common tongue. Here the girl gave her a 'look' and the elfguard smiled; to this human girl, she probably looked but a few years older. "Although maybe not so much a child in your skill with kicks." Aenara said, smiling slightly as she rubbed her arm. The girl looked slightly sheepish before she raised her chin stubbornly. Trying to sit up, she winced as one of her arms gave way beneath her. Aenara helped her up into a sitting position and crouched in front of her.

"What is your name?"

"I am Youlielle. From...." Here the girl paused as if not wanting to reveal where she came from, then continued. "From Esgaroth."

"I see. But what exactly are you doing in the middle of Mirkwood?"

Youlielle raised her chin stubbornly again, and set it in a way that said that this was what was happening and nothing any elves could do would stop her, whether she called her child or not. This made Aenara smile; the girl reminded her of herself years ago. "Im running away to Gondor."

Aenara's eyebrows shot up, but she didnt comment. "Riiiight-"

"I have told you my name and business but...what is yours?" The girl asked courteously. Aenara smiled and touched her forehead to the girl. "I am Aenara Oakhelm, a guard of Thranduils palace."

Now it was the girls turn to be surprised. "An elfguard?" She murmered. Aenara smiled and nodded, before introducing the others around her.
Old 12-30-2002, 01:15 PM   #31
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Thaurbar frowned as he inspected the ground of the trail leading away from the river. The blades of grass were bented and flattened by heavy tramping, while hedges by the sides were slashed with cruel blades. He pulled up a piece of dead grass and brought it to his nose; it reeked of the same stench that pervailed in the wind.

No doubt, this was the mischievous work of orcs. The foul creatures cared little for all living things and never failed to carry out acts of malice against the greenery. But there were others also. For amidst the orcish footprints were hoof-marks of horses. That meant that either the orcs had waylaid some unwary travellers and had gotten away with their mounts, or they had in their company, members of other races.

Thaurbar got up and went back to his mare. The orcs had long left the region around the river and it was pointless for him to pursue them; they would most probably be dead soon for the Dunadans now patrolled the lower region of Mirkwood in great numbers. Instead Thaurbar's heart was turned towards where the orcs came from, for that would yield clue on what they were up to.

"Revio, Rhûngwaew! Revio!" Thaurbar commanded.

The horse gave a neigh of acknowledge and sped off the trail like an arrow from a bow.

[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: Saurreg ]

[ December 31, 2002: Message edited by: Saurreg ]
Old 12-30-2002, 05:22 PM   #32
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Taurion finally turned to the girl, after everyone else had been introduced.

"This is Taurion," he heard Aenara say. He looked at the girl's fair face.

"Yes," he heard himself whisper, "Hi, Youlielle."

He quickly turned away again. But he found himself looking back. Now that she was feeling better, Youlielle looked different. She was full of so much hope. Most women that were back at the castle did not have this hope. They either just sought what they desired or gave up. Very few did not get what they wanted. Here, however, was a girl that was seeking a goal and could not obtain it. She, however, fought her hardest to get it. She knew she only had a short time in this world, so she went out to get what she wanted. The women at the palace knew they had so much time. So many that did not get what they wanted became lazy and did not try. This spirit was almost refreshing.

He looked up, confused and realizing he had been in his own thoughts for some time. He looked around, trying to figure out where everyone was at this time...
Old 01-01-2003, 08:29 PM   #33
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Findereg had watched the others tending the daughter of Man and stayed out of the action. He was no healer and would only be in the way. However, they'd all been kneeling over her and talking for nearly an hour. It was time to go. He remounted his horse and made an announcement to that effect. Aenara grumbled a bit, but they found that the mortal was not so badly injured that she couldn't ride pillion behind Aenara. Though the mortal didn't want to return to Esgaroth, she also knew that if she didn't accompany the Elves, she would probably die, so she mounted behind Aenara, trying not to wince when her injuries were pulled.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:49 AM   #34
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

It was a dream. It had to be. Youlielle could simply not believe it. One moment she was practically dieing, in the depts of Mirkwood, the next thing she knew she was riding with a company of elvels. She held on to Aneara, not believing her luck. She had always loved elves, ever since she had first heard of them. And here she was, riding with them. Her heart was swelling over with joy, she thought she would burst wih happiness. Quietly she launched into a childish, joyfull song, humming her happiness out into the world...

you know this feeling, when you feel like singing loud?
Do you know this feeling when your heart is feeling proud?
Do you know this feeling when somebody suddenly says
"I love you"

She smiled to herself. True, no one had said "I love you", but the way the company treated her, with respect, caring and friendly, was something new to her. It made her happy. Could there be anyting better?
She looked up. For a split second, she glanced one of the riders in the eye. They held each others gaze and then, quite suddenly, both turned away, looking somewhere else.
If this is a dream,Youlielle thought, then I never want to wake up ever again.

[ January 02, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]
Old 01-02-2003, 04:40 PM   #35
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Taurion heard the girl humming a bit. He almost smiled to himself, but then stopped himself. She was probably still in pain. He felt himself turn and look at her.

All of a sudden, she looked back. Taurion looked into her eyes for a second. The eyes were so young and innocent. He held the gaze for a second, then quickly turned away. She was so young-looking, how was it possible that any could let her out of her home? Why did her parents not guard her and the wild spirit she seemed to possess until she was of the age where she could defend herself with the trouble that the spirit would and did get her into.

Taurion pointedly did not look at the girl, worried she would look back, and continued to ride on, disturbingly silent.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:31 PM   #36
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Aenara saw Taurion and Youlielles eyes catch for a moment and her eyebrows shot up, although she made no comment. Taurion had been sneaking glances at the human for a while, but the way their eyes had met...she pointedly didnt say anything.

"Are you alright, Youlielle?" She murmered to the girl behind her. Strange, she had met humans before, but never really been this close...

"Yes Aenara. Im fine." The answer came back. Aenara smiled. She finished her humming and sighed happily again, making Aenara smile. She began to hum her own tune...

Ai! laurië lantar lassi súrinen,
Yéni únótimë ve rámar aldaron!
Yéni ve lintë yuldar avánier
mi oromardi lisse-miruvóreva
Andúnë pella, Vardo tellumar
nu luini yassen tintilar i eleni
ómaryo airetári-lírinen....

She began before stopping as she realised Youlielle was listening to her.

"Does that have words?"

"Indeed. Do you wish me to teach you the common tongue or elvish?" She answered, smiling slightly.

"The words are elvish?" The girls voice was wondering as she realised what the elf had just said. "You would teach me?"

"If you wish it, Youlielle. Come, say after me; Ai! laurië lantar lassi súrinen?"

The girl repeated this, stumbling, slowly and Aenara winced slightly at the pronunciation. "Say it like that and you may insult quite a few people!" She laughed. The girl blushed and they tried again, smiling and laughing as they rode.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:04 PM   #37
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Thaurbar had arrived at the edge of the Mirkwood. There the trail of the orcs went deep and it stretched beyond the boundaries of the forest and continued into the realm of the green elves.

Just as he had made his choice to continue tracing the trail and risk the wrath of the territorial green elves, his sharp elven ears picked up the clattering of hooves and singing voices. Before long a group of riders appeared from the edge of a bent and were riding without saddles towards him. There were six of them and they were dressed in a myriad of woodland colours. Their skins were very fair and their hairs were long. Thaurbar knew that he was about to meet the masters of the forest and decided to hail them.

"Greetings kinsmen! May the stars of Elbereth shine upon you evermore! It has been long since I've seen the people of Thrandruil leave his halls in such numbers and on horses too. Pray tell me; what news do you have of the region?"
Old 01-07-2003, 01:53 PM   #38
Kiara
Animated Skeleton

Kiara has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rhiannon continued to scowl in her dusty domain. "Notations indeed" she snorted, driving her quill pen into the ink so forcefully she broke the nibbed tip, though she didn't notice this at first. Her hands, though shapely and soft, due to her delicate work, were nonetheless covered with the stains. Too many jousts with the ink-bottle, it seemed. She was running no risk of failing to finish her duties. In fact, Rhiannon could have made three trips to the market place and back and stillbe able to finish the notations.

She looked down at her work with pride, her tight, even script yet containing a beauty and clarity that the other assistants could not attain. Just then she noticed the result of her flying temper. The tip of her pen was split nearly an inch down its length.

"Damn!!!" she muttered under her breath. (Yes, she did have a habit of swearing, but one she had cultivated merely to irritate her master....She smiled sardonically at his reaction from earlier). Rummaging in the drawers containing her supplies, she found she had broken the last of her quill pens. On the verge of uttering another curse, however, she checked herself with this new plan that had bolted through her mind.

"Ah! And I had thought it would be months before I could make it to the market place....But with all traders having closed shop to sell their goods at market, I have no choice but to find what I need there....and with good excuse, too, if I do run into my fine Mr. Dondarrion...."

And with that, she arrayed herself in her chocolate-colored cloak, eyes bright and sparkling with pleasure, the sardonic grin having spread to a half-smile. Rhiannon was really, almost, beautiful when she was happy....
"What if you slept, and what if in your sleep you dreamed, and what if, in your dream, you went to paradise and there plucked a beautiful flower...and what if when you awoke, you held that flower in your hand? Ah, what then?"
Old 01-07-2003, 11:07 PM   #39
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Findereg pulled his horse to a stop when the strange Elf appeared on the path ahead of the train.

"Greetings kinsmen! May the stars of Elbereth shine upon you evermore! It has been long since I've seen the people of Thrandruil leave his halls in such numbers and on horses too. Pray tell me; what news do you have of the region?" The stranger called out in a jovially pompous tone. Had he no caution? Of course not, not when talking to a fellow Elf. Well then.

"Hello," Findereg answered noncomitally. "You are no Wood Elf. What business have you in Mirkwood?"

"I'm a ranger, sent out from Imladris. I came here on Lord Elrond's orders to ascertain the threat growing in Mirkwood."

Findereg nodded in understanding. "Ah, the Shadow grows in the South. We are going to Esgarath to purchase needed supplies. If you'd like to join us for a bit, you're welcome to. A bit of news from Imladris is always welcome. I am Findereg."

The stranger nodded gladly and pulled hid horse into the group. He looked curiously for a moment at the daughter of Man, then introduced himself. Findorfin still seemed a bit put out, but everyone ekse welcomed him cheerfully.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:52 AM   #40
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Thaurbar was surprised by the affability of the wood elf. He have met some of Thrandruil's captains before and they struck him as aloof and proud. This one was different.

"Findereg of Mirkwood, yours is a most gracious offer. I accept."

Thaurbar waited for Findereg to ride pass him so that they could travel along side. As he turned Eastwind around, he discovered that there waere seven travellers and not six; a little urchin was perched behind a female elf. When she saw the newcomer looking at her, she clung even tighter to the elf and hid her stained face from sight.

Thaurbar gave his horse a slight tap with his heels and picked up pace. Soon he was riding beside Findereg.

"We found her along the river bank," Findereg said, guessing correctly what was on the Sindar's mind, "not far from where we met you."

Thaurbar looked over his shoulder and espied the child again. She was wounded.

"Orcs?"

Findereg nodded and replied nonchalantly, "Her injuries were not serious. She was in shock when we came upon her but that has passed. Since then she has recovered her faculties and I believe, is behaving normally for an Atani of her age. Apparently she has bonded with Aenara and they are inseparable now."

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: Saurreg ]