The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2002, 01:16 PM   #1
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Question If each member of the Fellowship was an animal.....

If each ember of the Fellowship was an animal, what kind would he be? Any ideas? I know what you are thinking, another weird topic from Galadel. Well, you are right, but I can't help it!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Galadel Vinorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 01:44 PM   #2
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Boromir -Bear
Aragorn -Eagle
Gandalf -Owl
Legolas -Tiger
Gimli -Lion
Frodo -??
Merry _} ??
Pippin }
Sam-Weak Dog
Old 08-15-2002, 02:09 PM   #3
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

This topic is nonsensical, but has potential. Rather than put what animal they are, put what animal and why they are that animal. Let's see some justifications for your choices!
Old 08-15-2002, 03:08 PM   #4
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Gimli -- Sam as a "weak dog"?? I don't think so. How about a junior sized bull dog who can look pretty stern on the outside but really has a good heart? I always thought of Sam like that, at least when it came to guarding his friend Frodo. Also, if you look at the epilogue in Sauron Defeated which shows Sam at home disciplining his kids after the Ring quest, the image of a good natured bull dog also works here.

Galadriel --- I think of her as a gazelle. That's because she's so graceful and lovely. I can see her bounding around and looking regal. And, when she was younger, way back in Beleriand, they say she was a pretty good athlete as well.

Gandalf -- That's easy. He is an owl because he's so wise, and he's always swiveling his neck around like an owl does to see everything that's going on. Also, I don't know too many owls, but it always struck me that they may have a bit of a temper and strike out with that sharp beak if you get too far out of line.

Frodo -- Part of me wants to say that Frodo was the sacrificial lamb, because of his "endurance of unmerited suffering." That thought really makes me sad, though. Can anyone think of something else for Frodo?

Will try to get back later.

sharon, the 7th age hobbit
Old 08-15-2002, 08:21 PM   #5
Aroaraniel
Wight

Aroaraniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Aroaraniel
Sting

Haha, this topic isn't nonsensical! It's funny! And there's nothing wrong with that!!!

All I know is that when I think of Legolas I think of a cat. He's very cat-like, ya know? LoL!!
Aroaraniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 08:57 PM   #6
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Silmaril

Yes, Legolas reminds me of a cat as well. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Galadel Vinorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 01:56 AM   #7
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

I also agree with Legolas as a cat, because he's so graceful and attentive. I agree with Aragorn as a eagle and Gandalf as a owl too. I think eagle as noble and an owl as wise, so it fits the characters.
As far as the others, I really don't know.

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 02:07 AM   #8
Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood
Eye

Yes i also agree about Legolas being a cat, which i guess means we gotta love cats more!
Old 08-16-2002, 07:36 AM   #9
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I thought about your question, Co7A. When I thought of all manner of beast, fair and fell, fierce and meek only one seemed appropriate. Standing next to the Great Cats and large beasts, Frodo would be nothing more than Confused and Lonely Man, for 'tis a very human fate. He is Everyman, the blank slate of human sadness upon which to etch your own thoughts.

Edited to add a stray thought: I approve of the consensus of the contiguous nature of Gandalf-Owls. Owls can be fierce birds of prey; in the texts, excised in the film, there is something ever so slightly predatory about Gandalf. Most likely, it is something to do with the veiled power, the fist in a velvet glove.

[ August 16, 2002: Message edited by: Rimbaud ]
Old 08-16-2002, 07:58 AM   #10
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Sam strikes me as the kind of pony that will unhesitatingly carry his master until he drops dead from fatigue.

Thinking of Frodo on the Emyn Muil, somehow I was reminded of a bloodhound, on the trail, that wouldn't stop until the prey had been treed; only Frodo's trail was the road to Mount Doom. But he wouldn't stop til he got there.

Not that that comes anywhere near doing him justice.
Old 08-16-2002, 11:48 AM   #11
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hmmm,
Aragorn- an eagle
Boromir- a hawk
Samwise-reminds me of a dog who is faithful to his master, that will follow him anywhere and everywhere, and if his master is in a bit of danger, he'll try to protect him.
Gandalf- a grey owl
Gimli- a bear
Legolas- a cat
Merry- yall going to think i'm crazy, Merry reminds me of a squirrel monkey, [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2002, 09:02 AM   #12
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Rimbaud -- I think you are right....Confused and Lonely Man, the medieval Everyman. And each of us has been given a quest to destroy some part of evil in this universe. Very profound. That reminds me of a thread.....See novices and newcomers.

sharon, the 7th age hobbit
Old 08-19-2002, 09:09 AM   #13
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sam: Most defiatly a dog. But not one that would stick his tail between his legs and coward. He's strong. I also like the pony idea.

Legolas: cat? Yesterday, I was watching the LotR DVD and I had got to the part where Orli was saying Legolas was like a cat. Immediatly afterwards my cat Minnie was jumping onto the table. She didn't quite make it and she clumbsly fell off.
It was so ironic. But I think Legolas is like cats. Just not mine. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I think that the Fellowship as a whole is like a wolf pack. They care and watch out for eachother. They can be gentle towards eachother but ferocious to thier enimies. They will survive and keep going.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:57 PM   #14
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Gandalf- A grey eagle, if there is ever is such a thing. And if there isn't, well oh well! Gwaihir sized eagle of course [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Aragorn: A Panther. He's a ranger, he can sneak up on you and he knows all about the wild. And he's pretty. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Nah, bad choice of words there [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] He's sleek. There!

Sam: A German Shephard. They're good dogs. Faithful, loving, and oh so adorable! And they're obedient.

Gimli: A stubby grizzly bear. Not full grown. But still an adult.

Legolas: A big cat. Not a fat cat. Either a nice housecat or a leopard.

Merry: A woodchuck. Or a monkey. Or a panda bear. Beaver!

Pippin: Either a flying squirrel, a beaver, or a kangaroo. No, or a ferret! They're curious little things, and cute too!

Frodo: Either a small dog (not like Chiwowa small. I know I spelled it wrong too, that's just how I like spelling it) or a tabby cat. A small dog because even though they are small, they are still loyal. They bark at big dogs and strangers just like other dogs, but I think Frodo would not be the small dog who backs away when they get closer. He may be small, but that little pup wouldn't back down!
Now, a tabby cat because cats are basically kinda stubborn, so he would not give up!

Boromir: This is kinda hard, that's why I put him last. But I think Boromir would either be a lion or panther. A smaller panther than Aragorn though. Boromir was strong and he knew what he wanted. Like lions, they know what they want. I liked Boromir though, I don't think he was all bad. He was sorry for what he did and he acknowledged that he was wrong.
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 09:35 PM   #15
Keeper of the Feet of Melkor
Animated Skeleton

Keeper of the Feet of Melkor has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Gandalf- Snowy Owl, wise, swift and beautifull *tear* lol

Aragorn: Wolf, although he doesnt have a pack in the beginning, he's still strong and silent

Sam: Lost puppy...oh come on, he follows Frodo!

Gimli: Grizzly bear, hair...what more is there to say.

Legolas: Some kind of feline, cute and a predator lol

Merry: Hamster, tricky little bugger...

Pippin: A hamster too, they're a pair!

Frodo: Big Foot (its an animal :P) Frodo may not be elusive and may not have the most hobbity feet out there but from where Im sitting, they're very much alike.

Boromir: *no comment*
Old 08-27-2002, 01:36 PM   #16
Calenminiel

Silmaril

Pippin~Parrot...annoying, but in a funny way
Merry~Chipmunk
Sam~Scottie dog(runt)
Frodo~Squirrel...well im tryin...wat else is there???
Aragorn~Wolf or Coyote
Gandalf~Owl
Legolas~Fox, swift and cunning...FOXY to(hehehe) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Gimli~Racoon
Borimir~Fish...dont ask
Old 08-27-2002, 10:13 PM   #17
NyteSky
Haunting Spirit

NyteSky has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NyteSky
Sting

Frodo: hardest one. I'd say some sort of fuzzy little rodent. A mouse probably. Uncorruptable (nearly) and far more resilient than his unthreatening exterior reveals.
Sam: some sort of dog. a small but not yippy one. I don't know many dog types tho so I can't really say.
Aragorn: wolf. at home in the wild, a skilled hunter, noble, solitary. (I'm thinking lone wolf here, not as in packs)
Legolas: hmm... one of the smaller hunting cats. Leopard probly. Elves in general are somewhat cat-like I think.
Gimli: definitely badger or wolverine. Small but incredibly tough and a ferocious fighter.
Galadriel: swan. I always think of her with the swan boats. But she's a lot more than she seems, so make that a swan with hawk eyes.
Boromir: Lion. royal, brave, powerful.

Me: peregrine falcon. fastest thing alive.(at diving speeds) lives in the skies, sees everything. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
NyteSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 03:08 PM   #18
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dûm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
One of my friends used to have two dachshunds - father and son, called Bilbo Baggins and Frodo. When I first heard of that, I was a bit annoyed. But then I knew they looked their names. Bilbo Baggins was old and slow with some air of sophistication about him. And Frodo is really quite perky and determined.
akhtene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #19
sassyfriend
Wight

sassyfriend has just left Hobbiton.
Boromir: Lynx

Aragorn: Eagle

Legolas: Grey hound

Gandalf: Blue jay

Frodo: House cat

Sam: Hound

Pippin: Malteese dog