The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2003, 12:28 PM   #1
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Man behind the Mythology

We have a trivia for every book and for the movies and even one concerning us B-Ders... But what about the dear Professor himself? Have we totally forgotten the one who has made this all possible?

So, the idea of this quiz is to ask trivia questions about JRR Tolkien, about his entire life before, during and after writing such works as the Hobbit and the LOTR. Preferably the questions should somehow be related to his writings and to the creation of the mythology, ie. "What occasion led to the creation of 'Mr. Bliss'?" is a (somewhat) better question than "When was Tolkien born?". Possible sources would be Tolkien biographies, the Letters, commentaries in the HoME series etc.

Got it? Good! Now let's begin...

And the first question is the one I used as an example. So, when was...er, I mean what occasion led to the creation of 'Mr. Bliss'?

~Annun

*waits exitedly whether the perfect, brilliant, dazzling, kind-hearted (etc. etc.) Mr. Saucepan man will close this thread or not*
Old 07-17-2003, 01:00 PM   #2
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Tolkien

Quote:
*waits exitedly whether the perfect, brilliant, dazzling, kind-hearted (etc. etc.) Mr. Saucepan man will close this thread or not*
Are you suggesting that flattery alone will persuade me to allow this thread to continue? Well, it helps ... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

... but its the fact that it seems to me to be a perfectly good idea for a new and original game that really clinches it. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Mind you, I'm more au fait with the Professor's Books than his life, so I might not participate too much myself. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2003, 03:18 PM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

This is a great quiz idea, Annunfuiniel! It took some searching to find the answer to your question, but skimming pages and pages of Carpenter's biography finally proved successful. Here's what he says about the background for the story of 'Mr Bliss':
Quote:
The purchase of a car in 1932 and Tolkien's subsequent mishaps while driving it led him to write another children's story, 'Mr Bliss'. This is the tale of a tall thin man who lives in a tall thin house, and who purchases a bright yellow automobile for five shillings, with remarkable consequences (and a number of collisions).
I haven't read that story yet; is anyone familiar with it?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 08:35 PM   #4
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Saucy, Esty - many thanks! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

And Estelyn: congrats for the first and first of all correct answer! You may take the lead now.

The story in question is unknown to me too but I must say that reading those lines of Carpenter's has made me rather curious...

~Annun
Old 07-18-2003, 12:56 AM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Here's a bit of trivia that tickled my fancy; it's quite appropriate for this site!

What do the initials "B.S." stand for, and from what place with the same initials were they taken?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 07-18-2003, 03:20 PM   #6
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

"Barrovian Society" from the Barrow Store's. Tolkien and Wiseman were two of the founders of this little "society".
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 03:25 PM   #7
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

That's it, Beren! Your turn!
Old 07-18-2003, 09:42 PM   #8
Beren87

Sting

Thank ye Esty. *bows*

What play was Tolkien in in his last summer at King Edwards? (Bonus points for the part he played! Not..that we have points..or anything..)
Old 07-19-2003, 09:45 PM   #9
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

The X Phial has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Are you referring to his role as Mrs. Malaprop in the excellent play, The Rivals?
Old 07-22-2003, 06:33 PM   #10
Beren87

Sting

Actually, I wasn't, strangly enough. Let me go back and check to make sure, but that's not what I was thinking of.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:41 PM   #11
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

The X Phial has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, I had the wrong year. My apologies. Still, I would love to have seen that performance.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:31 PM   #12
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Ah, I found the answer to that one in Carpenter's biography - the play was Aristophanes' The Peace, and Tolkien played Hermes. It must have been an interesting performance! -
Quote:
a Greek play with the choruses set to music-hall tunes
[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2003, 08:02 PM   #13
Beren87

Sting

Esty has it! (And the majority of my information seems to come from Carpenter's Biography, strangly.)

Your turn!
Old 07-25-2003, 05:01 PM   #14
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Tolkien was the model for a character in C. S. Lewis' books - who is it?
Old 07-25-2003, 06:14 PM   #15
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

peony_foxburr has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peony_foxburr
White-Hand

Dr. Ransom, from the three "science fiction novels"(Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength) If I recall correctly from the biography, he wasn't terribly flattered, either!

What a fun idea!
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
peony_foxburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 11:10 PM   #16
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Ransom is correct - like Tolkien, a philologist! Your turn, peony!
Old 07-26-2003, 07:06 PM   #17
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

Question

Thank you!

What, besides their own names and their birth and death years, did Ronald and Edith Tolkien have inscribed on their gravestones?
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
Old 07-26-2003, 08:29 PM   #18
Beren87

Sting

Beren and Luthien, respectively.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:13 PM   #19
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

Sting

But of course you would know, Beren 87. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

For all that Tolkien moved in such a masculine-centered world from which Edith was mostly excluded, I found those inscriptions quite sweet and touching.

Your turn, then, Beren 87.
-The Return of the King
Old 07-27-2003, 08:42 PM   #20
Beren87

Sting

Perhaps he was a romantic, at heart. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

What was Tolkien proffesor of at Oxford?
Old 07-28-2003, 04:56 AM   #21
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Tolkien held two chairs at Oxford during his career: the Rawlinson and Bosworth Chair of Anglo-Saxon and the Merton Chair of English Language. His tenure of these positions overlapped briefly.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:40 PM   #22
Beren87

Sting

A detailed, and not to mention, correct answer, dear Squatter. Your go.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:35 PM   #23
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

What's more disturbing is that I didn't have to look those up. Someone has too much time on his hands.

One of Tolkien's characters was "a nimble plum-gatherer" but someone he knew could have been described in the same way. Name both of them and Tolkien's relationship with the real-life fruit collector.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:47 PM   #24
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

Sting

I'm thinking we need a clue, Squatter. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] [That icon is supposed to be "confused" but it looks like a frownie to me...]
-The Return of the King
Old 08-04-2003, 06:49 AM   #25
Spectre of Decay

Sting

You won't find this one in Carpenter, nor will you find it in Tolkien's more famous fictional writings. It's best to begin in one of his short stories and work back from there. The real-life personage is someone that he knew very well.

[ August 04, 2003: Message edited by: The Squatter of Amon Rûdh ]
Old 08-04-2003, 09:05 AM   #26
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Squatter, I have found the character who's referred to as a plum-picker, so one half of the question could be answered. However, I cannot find any references to the person in Tolkien's real life who could compare, despite searching in both of Shippey's books, the Letters, and the Inklings biography. Just thinking about persons Tolkien knew well gave me no insight - the character doesn't sound like either C.S.Lewis or Father Francis. Can you give any clue as to where to find a reference? Perhaps the book in which the story is published has a comment, but alas, I do not have it.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:26 AM   #27
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Well, this is why we have libraries Estelyn. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

The answer has to do with the Vale of Evesham.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:40 PM   #28
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

OK, here goes an attempt:
The literary plum-gatherer is the wizard Artaxerxes in Roverandom.
The literal plum-gatherer is JRRT's brother, Hilary Tolkien, who owned and lived on a fruit farm at Evesham.
Right?
Old 08-04-2003, 12:48 PM   #29
Spectre of Decay

Sting

That's the answer I was looking for.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:50 PM   #30
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Who sculptured the bust of Tolkien that stands in the English Faculty Library at Oxford University?
Old 08-04-2003, 02:55 PM   #31
Beren87

Sting

I believe Faith Tolkien did that bust, it's one of the centers of attention at oxonmoots.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:01 PM   #32
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Wow, that was a fast answer, Beren! You're right, JRRT's daughter-in-law (Christopher's wife) was the sculptor. Please proceed with another question.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:04 PM   #33
Beren87

Sting

Ah, it was CT's wife, I couldn't find who's she was.

What did Tolkien's brother enlist as in WWI?
Old 08-04-2003, 04:05 PM   #34
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Was Hilary a pilot in the royal airforce, perhaps?

Iarwain
Old 08-04-2003, 09:47 PM   #35
Beren87

Sting

I..don't think so. It's not what he enlisted as, anyway.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:44 AM   #36
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Hilary Tolkien signed up as a bugler, but I've been unable to track down his regiment.

For the record, the RAF didn't exist prior to April 1st 1918. It was a later generation of Tolkiens who joined the junior service.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:01 PM   #37
Beren87

Sting

I wasn't able to find his regiment either (your saying so inspired me to check [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ), so that's left up in the air. Yet, he did indeed enlist as a bugler! Squatter's go.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:56 PM   #38
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Whom did Tolkien thank for his kindness '...to a jobless soldier in 1918' in his valedictory address to the University of Oxford?
Old 08-06-2003, 02:40 PM   #39
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

He thanked William Craigie, who taught him Icelandic and was, incidentally, his predecessor as Professor of Anglo-Saxon at the University of Oxford.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:49 PM   #40
Spectre of Decay

Sting

The very fellow. Your turn, Estelyn.