The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2002, 03:54 PM   #1
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420! Middle earth= middle ages?/Barrow Downs= Ireland and Scotland?

I brought up my theory in the thread, 'Do we live in Middle-earth? Pages: 1 2,' and I was wondering if anyone agrees with me. My theory is that ME is just an edited version of the middle-ages. Some people say that ME is like earth, where England is the shire and North America is Valinor etc. But I disagree with that to some level. I don't think that ME is an exact reference to our earth. I think that maybe some places can represent places in ME but not all.

What I'm particularly interested in is with the Barrow Downs. Now, I think that saying England represents the shire is a good quess. I think that it further represents where tolkien grew up in England. Ireland and Scotland are very close to England. Ireland is on its own island and Scotland is connected to England on an island also. I think that the Barrow Downs and quite possibly the Old Forest might represent Ireland and Scotland. Think about it. The Barrow Downs and the Old Forest are foggy like Ireland and Scotland can be. Also, the barrow wights remind me of the Celts, Glasgow, and the Druids.

I don't have too much to support my theory so I was wondering what you think about it. I kind of have a gut feeling about this but I may be wrong. Please tell you what you think of my theory. Do you agree/disagree? Try to focus more on the part about the Barrow downs, but if you have something to add about the MA, go ahead. If you want to, check out my reply on the thread that I mentioned at the top, it might help explain my theory better. Thanks.

[ December 01, 2002: Message edited by: MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie ]

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 04:07 PM   #2
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

I agree with you Willie! Excellent thoughts you have there! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] In a show about the making of LOTR or something like that PJ was talking and said that ME was based on an England that existed at some period of time in history. And it definetly is Medieval based. With stone fortresses, armour, swords, kings, a lot of turmoil, but simplicity also. I have read a lot of Arthurian legend so I can tell you, it definetly has Medieval roots. But I suck at geography so I can't help you in figuring out what country/continent corresponds with what place in Middle Earth. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] That probably didn't help you any but, that's sorta my opinion.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 04:27 PM   #3
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

i must agree the barrow downs totaly remind me of ireland and also theres alot of barrows in ireland
Old 12-03-2002, 12:38 PM   #4
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Hm, interesting idea, but I can't see I see the Downs as remotely like Glasgow [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] *pictures all the houses*

I like the idea of Scotland and Ireland being like the Downs, some parts are quite rural and I can picture it like that.
Old 12-03-2002, 01:02 PM   #5
the witch king
Wight

The Eye

i always picture the downs like i remember the west of ireland (where i came from)
Old 12-03-2002, 01:21 PM   #6
Kiara
Animated Skeleton

Kiara has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Not to mention that Hobbit food is SO British-Isles (sp?)in style. I don't think ME is necessarily related to an exact continent, I think Tolkien just dreamed it up based on alot of things he loved (and hated perhaps?) about our world (and more particularly HIS world) and I get SO nostalgic for Ireland when I read his books. (I basically grew up there, though I'm from the States originally). UP the Dubs!
"What if you slept, and what if in your sleep you dreamed, and what if, in your dream, you went to paradise and there plucked a beautiful flower...and what if when you awoke, you held that flower in your hand? Ah, what then?"
Kiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 01:24 PM   #7
Voronwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voronwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Being a native of the fine city of Glasgow, I can safely say that it does not remind me of the Barrow-Downs. However, I would add that there are many (non-urban) parts of Scotland which do, in one way or another, bear resemblance to scenery in Middle Earth.
Old 12-03-2002, 01:29 PM   #8
the witch king
Wight

The Eye

i no totaly what you mean kiara i grew up in ireland as a kid and every time i think of the downs shire etc i just think home!
Old 12-03-2002, 01:33 PM   #9
Kiara
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Especially with the green-ness and the ruins ---and the movie helped to extend that vision, didn't you think? It made me want to see New Zealand as well....(we need a little green Graemlin, I think). [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
"What if you slept, and what if in your sleep you dreamed, and what if, in your dream, you went to paradise and there plucked a beautiful flower...and what if when you awoke, you held that flower in your hand? Ah, what then?"
Old 12-03-2002, 01:39 PM   #10
the witch king
Wight

Sting

i no when i talk to most people in the uk about ireland and how nice it is they only seem to know about the darker side i.e. the north and the amount of killing that went on there i hate the fact that thats the image some ppl have of a amazing land like ireland
Old 12-03-2002, 01:42 PM   #11
Kiara
Animated Skeleton

Sting

My thought exactly: I mean, about 90% of the people in Ireland just ignore it or detest it at least. It's not like everyone there has taken a side and hates the other passionately....but that is beyond Tolkien, I'd say....Though I do wonder what HE thought of it all...Sad business.
Old 12-03-2002, 01:46 PM   #12
the witch king
Wight

The Eye

true it not a war zone or anything some people when theyed heard me talk with great pride and passion about ireland thort strate away that i was a member of the I.R.A.! but true i have strayed from the theam sorry
Old 12-03-2002, 02:06 PM   #13
Dimaldaeon
Wight

Dimaldaeon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Dimaldaeon Send a message via AIM to Dimaldaeon
Sting

Hmmm Ireland = Barrow Downs.
I suppose that could be imaginable. One night around Halloween I looked out of my window The local graveyard, which is at the end of my dad's farm, was really foggy and creepy. I could just imagine some great ghostly disembodied hand coming to get me.

Say Witch King where in the west are you from, i'm from Galway.

You're not drunk if you can still hold onto a blade of grass to stop yourself from falling off the face of the Earth
Dimaldaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 02:13 PM   #14
the witch king
Wight

The Eye

snap freaky my family have a farm too havent bin there in years live in england now
Old 12-03-2002, 04:05 PM   #15
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Some elements of the Shire seem similar to Scotland, but certainly not Glasgow. Having lived just outside it for 16 years, I think I can safely say that!

Didn't Billy Boyd say that he felt hobbits were similar to Scots?

At the time when Tolkien wrote LOTR Scotland was perhaps a little bit more rural, but it was still developing in terms of cities and tower blocks...yet the Shire was meant to retain its idyllic setting and not get ruined...and although the Scouring happened everything was set to rights afterwards.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:14 PM   #16
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Thanks for all your replies. At first there weren't many but I'm glad now that some of us agree. Now, to the issue of Glasgow. I was refering to the Celts that are derived from Scotland, they are called the Glasgow. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Oh yeah, I can't stand it when people think that all of Ireland is like the north. No one seems to know about the rest of Ireland. They don't even know that the north makes up only about a third or fourth of Ireland. I think that if they visted Ireland they shut the h*ll up. Its beautiful and yet they trash it like it's some sh*tty war zone. I grew up in SF in the US and I still live here but my family ties are in Galway and Kerry. Yeah Dimaldaeon, Galway!!! And screw Armagh(just kidding). I also can't stand it when English people (please don't get offended)talk sh*t about Ireland or assume anyone who has pride in Ireland is from the north and is a member of the I.R.A. It just shows how ignorant they are, and it p*sses me off so much because it was their country that fu*ked up the north.

Anyways, thanks for the replies and lnog live Ireland. Here's one of my favorite songs, besides Kevin Barry and The Irish Drinking Song (Beer Beer Beer).

I.R.E.L.A.N.D.

Come all ye lads and lassies and sit you down with me,
And I will tell the truth about a land that`s dear to me,
You`ve read it in the papers and you`ve seen it on TV,
But I will spell it out for you, what Ireland means to me.

I is for internment of the innocent and free
R is for resistance to the laws of tryany
E is for the English who have torn our land apart
L is for the love of freedom in every Irish heart
A is for the answer we`re all searching for
N is for one nation and an end to this long war
D is for the dream of millions longing to be free.
That`s how I spell Ireland, that`s what Ireland means to me.

This land was once respected for it`s saints and scolars too
But now the bomb and bullet that`s all that makes the news
I know that it`s confusing and it`s hard to understand,
But I will spell it out for you by spelling Ireland

-Willie
Old 12-03-2002, 06:28 PM   #17
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

[Please remember to stick to Tolkien.]
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 06:53 PM   #18
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

That is a good thought, *Varda*, that the Shire can be like Scotland, but I was thinking that Scotland (Ireland too) were more like the Barrow Downs and the Old Forest. I think that the Shire is more like England. Scotland is connected England on the same island so it does make sense. I don't know if you thought that I meant the Shire was like Scotland or if you thought that yourself. Scotland and Ireland seem to be more related to the Old Forest and especially the Barrow Downs.

-Willie
Old 12-03-2002, 07:16 PM   #19
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

Oh yeah, Kiara, you made me think of another way Ireland and Scotland are like the Barrow Downs. If I remember the history of the downs, I think that there were battles there or just barrow-wights, who died in battles. Anyways, that really reminds me of the atlles between Ireland/Scotland and England. Maybe tolkien wanted the wights to be like the dead Irish and Scottish soldiers who died fighting the English. Since Tolkien was English, he might take the side of the English and think that the Irish/Scottish were evil, so he made them into wights, who were evil and did come out of Angmar. Or maybe the wights were supposed to be like the English who died fighting the Irish/Scottish. Tolkien might have recognized that what the English did was wrong and he wanted to portray them as evil wights. Tolkien might have taken the side of the Irish/Scottish on this. Or maybe Tolkien did not want it to represent it but it just influenced his story of middle earth even though he might not have known it. Maybe I'm wrong about the whole thing. Just a thought.

It sucks when someone (Tolkien) creates a great work (Middle-earth) and dies before admirers like us have a chance to find out from him whether our thoughts are true or not. Oh well, there's nothing we can do about it. R.I.P.

-Willie
Old 12-03-2002, 07:20 PM   #20
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Sting

Not paying attention to any of the posts except for a few, like most people do on here, I didn't notice anyone say anything about Tolkien's explaination of how the world we live in is the same as Middle-Earth, just 7 or 8 ages in the future.

Of course a lot of the people don't post anything worth while, I sometimes like to think I do.
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 07:55 PM   #21
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

Really, I didn't even know Tolkien said that. Could you tell me where you read or heard that, I'd like to know myself. Thanks.
Quote:
Of course a lot of the people don't post anything worth while, I sometimes like to think I do.
This really doesn't apply to this thread (unless you're talking about the song and the discussion about the north) but sometimes I feel the same way.

-Willie
Old 12-04-2002, 12:47 AM   #22
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Anyways, that really reminds me of the atlles between Ireland/Scotland and England. Maybe tolkien wanted the wights to be like the dead Irish and Scottish soldiers who died fighting the English. Since Tolkien was English, he might take the side of the English and think that the Irish/Scottish were evil, so he made them into wights, who were evil and did come out of Angmar. Or maybe the wights were supposed to be like the English who died fighting the Irish/Scottish. Tolkien might have recognized that what the English did was wrong and he wanted to portray them as evil wights.
Sorry, but that's tripe. No one these days in Britain thinks too much about those wars, I mean taking them seriously, except for fanatics and nationalists. It was just power struggles. I'm sure that none of it carried into Tolkien's writings.

Why should the Wights have anything to do with the 'British' Middle-Earthers, anyway? The Shire could not represent England, not the whole of it. It represents perhaps where Tolkien grew up, but there is more to England than idealistic countryside and simple farming people. That the invading evil from Angmar was supposed to be the Scots seems very unreasonable. For a start, the Scots weren't evil -- no more than anyone else, anyway -- , they didn't really invade England much (more the other way around mostly), and in the end the two countries forged a union; something Angmar and Arnor certainly did not do. I really don't think the England-Scotland wars had anything to do with Middle-Earth whatsoever.

Having read a few of these posts, this is what I think. Certain parts of Middle-Earth did relate back to Britain, but actual events in Britain were not involved. Such thoughts of ME wars realting to British wars is pretty far-fetched. Tolkien set out to create a mythology for ancient Britain, not create a seperate fantasy world based on it.

As for the fog... Ireland and Scotland aren't the only parts of the British Isles to have an abundance of that, you know.
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 02:48 AM   #23
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

You're English, aren't you.

Anyways I still disagree with you, but good points. You are somewhat right you know, but I still picture the Barrow Downs like Ireland/Scotland. I guess first impressions stick. If you've been to either of the two, you'd probably see what I mean, literally.
Well, thanks for your thoughts. It nice to have at least some one who disagrees. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ December 04, 2002: Message edited by: MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie ]

-Willie
Old 12-04-2002, 03:50 AM   #24
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
It nice to have at least some one who disagrees.
Hmmm... shall I take that as a threat? ;0)

Yes, incidentally I am English. And I happen also to note that you aren't, which puts me a notch or two up in authority on this thread I think. *sniff*

The Barrow-Downs could well remind you of Ireland or Scotland; it does me, although there are also many places in England and Wales that bear a reference to it -- and many more places in Scotland and Ireland that don't. When I say that, I mean that Scotland and Ireland are obviously not just great big Barrow-Downs with bits of Old Forest strewn accross them; but indeed, there are quite a few sites accross the British Isles that have a downish quality to them, yes.

[ December 04, 2002: Message edited by: Gwaihir the Windlord ]
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 05:42 AM   #25
the witch king
Wight

The Eye

the wars in ireland agains the english whernt a power struggle! it was a more powerful nation takeing land from inocent people and butchering women and children but that not what were talking about. in years gone by the people of southern england looked at ireland and northen england and scotland as wild and scarey much in the same way the hobbits thort of the downs/old forest
Old 12-04-2002, 06:09 AM   #26
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

But you can’t say that a thinking, scholarly, member of Oxford’s intelligencia would be thinking of Ireland or Scotland as “scary” or “wild” in the 20th century.
Old 12-04-2002, 06:52 AM   #27
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

I agree with Gwaihir. Eriador is not the British isles, although the British countryside was undoubtedly a strong influence on many of Tolkien's locations, which isn't terribly surprising given that he lived there. There are fields of barrows all over Britain, any combination of which could have been the inspiration for the Barrow Downs, which location stands for nothing more than an eerie collection of ancient graves, some of them inhabited by the shades of the dead. I wouldn't be surprised if Tolkien had wandered around a few barrows in his time: they can inspire that sort of thinking.

As for the idea that Arnor is England and Angmar some bizarre amalgam of Scotland and Ireland, or vice-versa, I think that highly unlikely. Setting aside the fact that Tolkien disagreed with allegory on principle, the English regard those old medieval wars as ancient history. Tolkien wouldn't have given them a second thought, let alone tried to demonise one side or the other. I mean to say, if he made no references to either of the massive global conflicts that took place in his lifetime, how likely is it that he'd refer to a couple of dynastic quarrels that took place long before he was born?

No, I'm afraid that Arnor versus Angmar is a simple matter of good versus evil. Despite whatever impression Hollywood might have created, there has never been such a war in Britain.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:00 AM   #28
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Quote:
the wars in ireland agains the english whernt a power struggle! it was a more powerful nation takeing land from inocent people and butchering women and children
It would be nice if things really were that simple. Perhaps it's because they aren't that Tolkien avoided allegories.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:12 AM   #29
Luinadar
Pile O'Bones

Luinadar has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

"Eriador is not the British isles, although the British countryside was undoubtedly a strong influence on many of Tolkien's locations, which isn't terribly surprising given that he lived there. "
Good claims Squatter and Gwaihir, that finally attempt to answer this point directly, without some pointless attempts at pro-irish nationalism at the expense of historical facts.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:43 AM   #30
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Though I wouldn’t go so far as to trivialize the Scottish or Irish wars of independence (why do we always forget the Welsh?), I have to agree with Squatter and Gwaihir on this matter. Seeing Scotland/Ireland (and you would have to include Wales to be fair) as they exist or existed politically, is a bit of allegory that was certainly not intended, and a stretch to see as unconscious on the part of Tolkien. There's nothing wrong with Irish Nationalism or its opposite per se, but don't force either down Tolkien's throat.

Quote:
No, I'm afraid that Arnor versus Angmar is a simple matter of good versus evil. Despite whatever impression Hollywood might have created, there has never been such a war in Britain.
Thank you! Now all we have to do is convince modern historians of this in regard to the Normans.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:13 PM   #31
Kiara
Animated Skeleton

Sting

i think most of you guys went way to far with the whole Irish/English/Scottish/Welsh thing. There is a ton of really sad history about both of those Islands (all of those islands!) and just about Europe in general. Too many wars in too little space, it's not worth getting hot and bothered about again---that's what the wars accomplished in the first place, I would have hoped.

As for Ireland, I lived there in the 90s, and visited Scotland and England & Wales often in the time I was there. It was still WAY behind other countries in many industrial aspects, and if there was a category of "2nd world country" back then, Ireland fit there. They are a passionate and headstrong people, and the English were the ones who helped them get "organized" in many ways (both by causing them to react to them negatively, and by positive economic influences as well). What I'm saying is there is both good and bad in the history of their relationship: AND NEITHER OF THEM ARE COMPLETELY JUSTIFIED in their actions.

But in regard to Tolkien's view or lack thereof of the situation in Ireland and the "power struggle" therein, with the 1916 uprising in Ireland, and how that played into WWI etc..., I DOUBT very much that he didn't notice it or even have an opinion of it, especially as he was part of the "British intelligencia".

P.S. Does anyone have a monopoly on or a "one up" on the thoughts of the great man? I think not. Let's try and ALL (including me) be a bit more humble and receptive....please. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2002, 01:26 PM   #32
engwaalphiel
Haunting Spirit

engwaalphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Good point before from Gwaihir the Windlord !
(and not just because it was the first mention of Wales [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img])
The setting for Tolkiens works would i presume be a mixture of different countries , continents and cultures as said before. And living in Wales in one of it's most rural parts (we have the Elan Valley and it is so beautiful) but britain is just one place with rural countryside , Tolkiens settings could have been based on anywhere . Perhaps Ireland and Scotland or England but it could have easily been parts of the USA or canada or anywhere . Thats probably a load of repetition but i hope it kind of makes sense .

"Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë!
engwaalphiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 01:43 PM   #33
the witch king
Wight

The Eye

not once has any one said that angmar was based on the british islands i was talking about the downs. personaly id rether it stay a "2nd world nation" than have religion forced down an entire nations throte killings and hatered that lingers there today there is no justification for what happend in ireland and to the irish i never thort tolkien would take a stand on eather side in his books or try to draw similarities between "real" history and the history of m.e. i just think that the land scape was vagely the same tiz all

[ December 04, 2002: Message edited by: the witch king ]
Old 12-04-2002, 03:55 PM   #34
Dimaldaeon
Wight

Dimaldaeon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Dimaldaeon Send a message via AIM to Dimaldaeon
Sting

Ok this is going way off topic and I'm sure Tolkien never intended this but dosen't the scouring of the Shire bear some resemblence to Ireland 1916-22
Merry Colllins?? Pippin de Valera???

You're not drunk if you can still hold onto a blade of grass to stop yourself from falling off the face of the Earth
Dimaldaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 04:06 PM   #35
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

Good thought but I sadly disagree. Think about it, the scouring of the Shire was fought between the ruffian's and the hobbits. While the fighting in Ireland was a civil war. Eamon de Valera was fighting with Michael Collins, and if you relate them to Merry and Pippin, they didn't fight.

Good try though and keep the thoughts coming. Long Live Ireland! I wish I could say that about Tolkien, but R.I.P.

I like your signature [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ December 04, 2002: Message edited by: MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie ]

-Willie
Old 12-04-2002, 04:12 PM   #36
the witch king
Wight

The Eye

i gess like the 4 hobbits instead ov the 7 i.r.b. leaders?
Old 12-04-2002, 04:29 PM   #37
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

Now that makes more sense.

-Willie
Old 12-04-2002, 05:00 PM   #38
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Quote:
Ok this is going way off topic and I'm sure Tolkien never intended this but dosen't the scouring of the Shire bear some resemblence to Ireland 1916-22
Merry Colllins?? Pippin de Valera?
Any popular uprising is going to match the Scouring of the Shire in some way or another. I see it more as an archetypal peasants' rebellion with an added anti-industrial twist myself.

Quote:
not once has any one said that angmar was based on the british islands
Yes they have. Here:
Quote:
Maybe tolkien wanted the wights to be like the dead Irish and Scottish soldiers who died fighting the English. Since Tolkien was English, he might take the side of the English and think that the Irish/Scottish were evil, so he made them into wights, who were evil and did come out of Angmar. Or maybe the wights were supposed to be like the English who died fighting the Irish/Scottish.
I think that it's time we stopped talking about Anglo-Irish history here. I'm sure that there are plenty of sites devoted to the discussion of what a wonderful place Ireland is and how horrible the English are, but this isn't one of them. Some of the comments are getting a little inflammatory for my liking.

Quote:
i just think that the land scape was vagely the same tiz all
Me too.

[ December 04, 2002: Message edited by: Squatter of Amon Rudh ]
Old 12-04-2002, 06:10 PM   #39
the witch king
Wight

The Eye

Im sorry if i came across as if i thort the english where bad people coz there not i live there now and have lot of friends who where born there i just think that what happend in ireland was horrific same as i think the IRA bombing inocents is horrific and i in no way hold any thing against the people of an entire nation just coz some people of that nation have dont something i consider evil and i think if every one thinks like this every one will get along better i no this is'nt tolkien but i think it needed to be said
Old 12-06-2002, 12:50 PM   #40
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Erm,.. were't the barrow downs and the old forest on the Eastern side of the Shire?

I seem to remember Tolkien writing that Hobbiton was around the same latitude as Oxford, which makes central England (or Mercia if you like) the Shire (Assuming longitude is the same!). In that case, the Barrow Downs could either just about be the South Downs (South of London)(If so does Tom Bombadil live in London still?) or may have disappeared into the English channel in some cataclysm. Perhaps the Midgewater marshes are the east Anglian fens! Wales and Ireland would be Elven country, naturally. Wales being the Tower Hills and Blue Mountains, Ireland being part of Lindon (also cut off by some cataclysm). Scotland would be the Northern downs and perhaps Northern Wastes [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] .

Another idea of Tolkien's was that Britain was Tol Eressea, towed back from the undying lands. Warwick Castle was Kor-Tirion and Ireland was a bit of Tol Eressea that fell off as it arrived!