The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2003, 07:28 PM   #721
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

peony_foxburr has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peony_foxburr
Sting

Peony was quite glad to be overtaken by Arwen Baggins and Alatariel, not least because it made a change of company. (Her alter ego was feeling the heat lately, and had worked some extra nights, all of which was slowing Peony's progress considerably)

She knew that every mile they drew closer to Rivendell made a difference to Frodo, so she resolved to start waking the alter ego up earlier on her days off!
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
peony_foxburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 08:04 PM   #722
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Linnamalle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hilde, here we are at the Last Bridge! See any green stones in the mud?
They spoke no more of the small news of the Shire far away; nor of the dark shadows and perils that encompassed them, but of the fair things they had seen in the world together, of the Elves, of the stars, of trees, and the gentle fall of the bright year in the woods.
Linnamalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 09:03 PM   #723
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
the surroundings were pretty Elvish - sand, saltwater and sea gulls, oh my! ...and a few swans thrown in for good measure. I do love walking barefoot at the beach! (It was at the Baltic Sea, just in case anyone is interested.)
Esty: It's dangerous for elves to be exposed to the ocean...especially wood elves!

:sloshtrudgesloshtrudgesloshtrudgesloshtrudgeslosh trudgesloshtrudgesloshtrudgesloshtrudge:
Another weary day's travel. The clouds gathered early in the morning, and the rain continued for most of the day. There was so much mud, I thought we were back in the Midgewater Marshes. Although it remained overcast, the downpour ceased late in the afternoon. Strider was finally able to get a fire going so that we could dry our cloaks and clothes. Unfortunately, we had nothing to cook on it...cram again! Hey Peony! How about a song to lift our spirits?

--------------------

• Ho! Ho! Ho! To the bottle I go
    To heal my heart and drown my woe.
    Rain may fall and wind may blow,
    And many miles be still to go,
    But under a tall tree I will lie,
    And let the clouds go sailing by.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:08 PM   #724
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

It has rain all day today, not being good walking weather. Alas, I'm stuck at 289. Come on Peony, sing us a song to lift our cram-filled spirits!

-Melilot
-Fėa
ArwenBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 08:00 AM   #725
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Eye

I know I'm double posting, but I just gotta say this. I'll be on vacation from tomorrow (7-12) 'til next Saturday (7-19).

I'll still be walking, so I'll post my milage when I get back!
Old 07-11-2003, 08:46 AM   #726
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Sting

The Trollshaws. Brrr! Bones here and there, and blackened charred places, and ... "Look, Mr. Frodo! It's Mr. Bilbo's trolls! "

Troll sat alone on a seat of stone,
and munched and mumbled a bare old bone...
They spoke no more of the small news of the Shire far away; nor of the dark shadows and perils that encompassed them, but of the fair things they had seen in the world together, of the Elves, of the stars, of trees, and the gentle fall of the bright year in the woods.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:44 PM   #727
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

You have walked 160 miles.
You have passed Bree (152).
You are only 4 miles from Chetwood Forest.
You still have 298 miles to Rivendell.

Bree was the chief village of the Bree-land, a small inhabited region, like an island in the empty lands round about. Besides Bree itself, there was Staddle on the other side of the hill, Combe in a deep valley a little further eastward, and Archet on the edge of the Chetwood. Lying round Bree-hill and the villages was a small country of fields and tamed woodland only a few miles broad.

Wow, four miles today! It was a beautiful three-mile trail through the woods, all uphill in the blazing sun, but Strider pushed us on relentlessly. After that we did one more mile, but the sun, lack of water and rest, and those monstrous uphills had taken a lot out of us, and it took one hour to walk a mile.

A soup of a kind was made for lunch. We're still unsure about dinner. Strider wants us to walk two more miles before night falls. I don't think that will work, though.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

For all of you who haven't voted at the second house contest here, please do so, because July 13th voting ends!

And one more thing... I will be updating the mileage list once again, and if your mile record is not in your FROM: space, you will sadly be overlooked, so please do that to make the job easier.

Thank you!
Old 07-11-2003, 10:22 PM   #728
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Silmaril

A very dreary, very wet day's journey is finally done. Strider managed to find a campsite under a small cluster of trees that was only slightly damp. All the firewood we could find was very wet, so the fire is more smoke than flame. The birds and other animals in this land must be trying to stay dry, because we saw no other living thing all day. Nothing broke the silence except the rumble of thunder, the patter of rain, and the slosh and squish of our feet in the puddles and the mud.

--------------------

• All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring;
    Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
    The crownless again shall be king.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:47 PM   #729
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Alas! Aleia and the hobbits have been lazy, for they did no miles today. It was raining miserably, so they sat huddled under some tall bushes in a circle. Amid the thunder and lightning they tried to lighten their spirits but ended up falling asleep for most of the day. Aleia made a promise to herself that they WOULD walk more tomorrow!
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 12:21 AM   #730
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

Thenamir was footsore and blistered. He'd left Stock the night before, but managed to cover another six miles before having to stop for awhile. ANother 6 miles would get him to the Buckleberry Ferry and finally across the Brandywine.

Only 20 miles ahead of him now was the Barrow Wight, and while he was closing the gap, it was not fast enough for Thenamir. He must reach Rivendell before the Wight...
Old 07-12-2003, 12:37 PM   #731
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

We spent a miserable, cold, damp night last night as the downpour continued. Strider and the hobbits are looking pretty bedraggled today. Even I (elf though I am) have not been able to maintain my normal freshly-coiffed appearance.

But...on the bright side: If this rain keeps up, fish will soon be swimming between our feet and we might have something besides cram to eat!

--------------------

• ..As Beren looked into her eyes
    Within the shadows of her hair,
    The trembling starlight of the skies
    He saw there mirrored shimmering.
    Tinśviel the elven-fair,
    Immortal maiden elven-wise,
    About him cast her shadowy hair
    And arms like silver glimmering.

Long was the way that fate them bore,
    O'er stony mountains cold and grey,
    Through halls of iron and darkling door,
    And woods of nightshade morrowless.
    The Sundering Seas between them lay,
    And yet at last they met once more,
    And long ago they passed away
    In the forest singing sorrowless.
Old 07-12-2003, 01:10 PM   #732
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Eye

I found a computer today, so I'm posting hurriedly.
At 301 miles from Rivendell, this poor hobbit feels she will never make it! Strider awoke me this morning yelling "Melilot! You take Alatįriėl and try to find some birds," Well, we walked, but I got lost and wandered for five miles!
We have walked 302 miles.
We are STILL south of the Road (300).
It is 12 miles to the next landmark.
We still have 156 miles to Rivendell.
Not once did they feel the sense of present evil that had assailed them before the attack in the dell.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:00 PM   #733
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Linnamalle! So sorry I didn’t see your earlier post, looks like we are in the Trollshaws together. Good to have some company in this eerie place. Glad the troll’s house is still unoccupied!
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 09:23 PM   #734
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I just realized I hadn't checked in for quite a while.

I'm currently wondering south of the great road at exactly mile #300. I'm definitely going to reach Rivendell next week (I have more time to run now that my summer class has ended).
Old 07-13-2003, 04:15 PM   #735
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Until Mithadan can find the time to paste the list into Helen's post, I'm putting it here for all to view.

AS OF JULY 11th
Our last update was June 29th. Next to a walker’s name you will see something looking like this: (## m.) That shows how many miles they have walked since our last update. Keep up the good work!

MEMBER : MILEAGE
alaklondewen : 274 (47 m.)
Alatariel : 293 (41 m.)
Annunfuiniel : 144
Arvedui III : 136
Arafangwen : 180 (27 m.)
ArwenBaggins : 286 (33 m.)
Aylwen Dreamsong : ?
bain_edhel : 12
Bulelainwen : 108
Barrow Wight : 80 (30 m.)
Durelin : 2
Durlossiel : 105
dragoneyes : 145
Eärendil : 112 (7 m.)
Eruwen : 70
Estelyn Telcontar : 333 (53 m.)
Faenaduial : 94 (12 m.)
Firondoiel : 44
Gorwingel : 360 (50 m.)
Hilde Bracegirdle : 366 (41 m.)
Horsemaiden Of The Shire : 248 (40 m.)
Ilsanie : 5.5
Joy : 14
Kalel : 32
Keowyn : 3?
Lalaith : 214 (23 m.)
Lindolirian : 170
Linnamalle : 367 (367 m.)
Linzielf : 401 (111 m.)
LotrMaster02 : ?
Lyra Greenleaf : 229 (38 m.)
Maiden of the Dry Waterfall : ?
mark12_30 : 305
Naz : ?
Neferchoiren : 173 (30 m.)
Niluial : 264
Nurumaiel : 160 (25 m.)
peony_foxburr : 278 (25 m.)
Raefindel : 311 (18 m.)
Ranger Jewel : 35?
red : 52.5
Rochelle : 59
Salix : 11
Schmendrick : 70
Sindafalathiel : 11
Sophia the Thunder Mistress : 151 (14 m.)
SwordMaiden of Rohan : ?
Tar-Palantir : ?
Tarvasa : 43
Tefalathiel : 170
The Phantom: 28
The Real Findorfin : ?
Thenamir : 56 (56 m.)
Tigerlily Gamgee : 50 (20 m.)
Tinuviel of Denton : 170 (20 m.)
Tira O Alata : ?
Vanwalossien : 220 (33 m.)
Vardamar : 314
Old 07-13-2003, 06:32 PM   #736
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

The clouds finally cleared out today. The sun shone, and it very quickly became hot & extremely humid. Arwen, Peony & I helped Strider hunt for food today. It was beginning to look like it would be cram for dinner again, when we finally flushed a covey of small, fat birds. Peony & Arwen were able to bring down 3 of them with stones. We made camp soon after, and Strider roasted the birds for our dinner. Very tasty!

--------------------

• O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!
    We still remember, we who dwell
    In this far land beneath the trees,
    Thy starlight on the Western Seas.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:16 PM   #737
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Peony waved a regretful farewell to her friends Arwen and Alatariel, after enjoying their feast of roast birds cooked by Strider. She was remaining behind after coming down with a mysterious fever (which included the delusion of humid summer weather). Strider had brewed her an herbal remedy, and told her to rest for a day and drink plenty of water. But, she resolved, she would catch up to them again! She estimated they were now twelve to fifteen miles ahead of her. On the bright side, if they spotted signs of trouble ahead, they would surely leave some kind of warning for the travelers behind them!
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
Old 07-14-2003, 10:59 AM   #738
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

You have walked 164 miles.
You have reached Chetwood Forest (164).
It is 8 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 294 miles to Rivendell.

Whether because of Strider's skill or for some other reason, they saw no sign and heard no sound of any other living thing all that day: neither two-footed, except birds; nor four-footed, except one fox and a few squirrels.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

We walked three miles with no problem. The soreness is finally leaving my legs, and no doubt it's the same way with Robin. We have reached Chetwood Forest, and Strider says that today he would like us to walk 4 - 8 miles, but I doubt we could do more than 5. We'll do our best, though, and try to close in on the 200th mile soon. We're making our way slowly and steadily, but recently we've been able to walk over 2 miles every day, which is a wonderful, amazing change. More free time means more walking, as my Gaffer used to say. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2003, 07:23 PM   #739
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Hello Everyone! I'm back and have added 35 miles to my count while on vacation.

Linnamalle, I certainly thought of things I'd like to have thrown in those cracks!

Growingel, I knew I'd see buffalo, but I had no idea they would be sitting on my doorstep one morning! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Hilde, I saw several skirted hikers and walkers while in the park.

My favorite site was theGrnad Prismatic Spring, although I can't think of a suitable middle-earth comparison.

Arwen Baggins, Have a nice vacation and tell us all about your "There and Back Again" when you get home.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:48 PM   #740
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Quote:
I knew I'd see buffalo, but I had no idea they would be sitting on my doorstep one morning!
Raefindel: Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Doorstep? Were you camping?

We said farewell to Peony this morning, as she was too ill to travel. We would have stayed with her but she insisted that we continue on. A large storm front began moving in just before dawn, so we built a small brush shelter to protect her from the weather before we left. We had not traveled very far before the clouds opened up, and the rain continued throughout the day...I hope Peony's shelter doesn't leak.

--------------------

• With a ping and a pong the fiddle-strings broke!
    the cow jumped over the Moon,
    And the little dog laughed to see such fun,
    And the Saturday dish went off at a run
    with the silver Sunday spoon.

The round Moon rolled behind the hill
    as the Sun raised up her head.
    She hardly believed her fiery eyes;
    For though it was day, to her surprise
    they all went back to bed!
Old 07-16-2003, 08:05 AM   #741
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Quote:
And the Saturday dish went off at a run
with the silver Sunday spoon
Oh, you naughty, naughty, NAUGHTY spoon! Taking advantage of a poor lower-class dish like that! He'll figure out in about seventy more miles that you're just stringing him along... Alas, that passion is so short-lived.

So, hmmm, does this poetry foreshadow Sunday-Silver-Arwen running off with Saturday-pottery-Aragorn? Lol!! And what was the fiddle string that broke! And who was the cow? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2003, 09:30 AM   #742
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Shield

*yay*

I reached the 200 mile mark!

Go me!

Plus I reached 500 posts! *double yay*

[ July 16, 2003: Message edited by: Neferchoirwen ]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 09:58 AM   #743
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

You Go, Girl! Woohoo! Neferchoirwen! Nef, Nef, Nef, Nef... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Alatįriėl, We never camped (I don't do well on the ground anymore, or we could have gotten away a lot cheaper). We had a cabin on two occasions (in different locations) and the rest were Inns. The buffalo was at a cabin. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2003, 10:30 AM   #744
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Peony felt much better the next day, and began to walk again. Frodo was not so easily cured, and though he didn't complain, everyone could tell he was slowly worsening. The rain was dreary, but the exercise of walking kept them fairly warm while they were moving. Poor Frodo, of course, just got wet and cold on Bill's back, in spite of an extra cloak. Sam kept a set of dry clothes wrapped in oilcloth, warmed them at the fire, and insisted that his master change into them when they stopped for the night. They were still deep in the Wild, south of the Road, and Rivendell 170 miles away.

"They dreaded the dark hours, and kept watch in pairs by night, expecting at any time to see black shapes stalking in the grey night, dimly lit by the cloud-veiled moon; but they saw nothing, and heard no sound but the sigh of withered leaves and grass."
-The Return of the King
Old 07-16-2003, 10:07 PM   #745
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Peony: Glad you're feeling better!

Quote:
We never camped (I don't do well on the ground anymore, or we could have gotten away a lot cheaper).
Raefindel: I enjoy camping, but not in a tent. I've had a pop-up camper for about 12 years now, but I prefer camping with friends in their 5th wheel. It's not really roughing it, but a/c is a must if you're camping in Texas in the summer.

Quote:
So, hmmm, does this poetry foreshadow Sunday-Silver-Arwen running off with Saturday-pottery-Aragorn? Lol!! And what was the fiddle string that broke! And who was the cow?
Linnamalle: I always thought of it as the Sunday-Silver-Aragorn and Saturday-pottery-Arwen. (It's from Bilbo's song that Frodo sang at the Prancing Pony in Bree.)

The downpour continued throughout the day, and the mud became so deep that walking was extremely difficult. By good fortune, we came upon another Ranger campsite late this afternoon...a small hollow with a circle of trees in the center. A small cache of dried meat and fruit with firewood (dry) had been stored at the base of the trees. We were as grateful for the wood as for the food, as we were soaked and chilled to the bone.

--------------------

• Upon the hearth the fire is red,
    Beneath the roof there is a bed;
    But not yet weary are our feet,
    Still round the corner we may meet
    A sudden tree or standing stone
    That none have seen but we alone.
    Tree and flower and leaf and grass,
    Let them pass! Let them pass!
    Hill and water under sky,
    Pass them by! Pass them by!
Old 07-16-2003, 10:36 PM   #746
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Thanks for cheering Raefindel!

I haven't been posting on this thread but I've been catching up on challenge...my goal is to go on the elliptical and make at least 5 miles.

On the subject of camping, I'll be camping this September! We'll be climbing Mt. Pico here in the Philippines, and I hope that I'll be sleeping underneath the stars.

----------------------------------
Frodo: Where are you taking us?

Strider: Into the wild.

Merry: How do we know this Strider is a friend of Gandalf?

Frodo: We have no choice but to trust him.

Sam: But where is he leading us?

Strider: To Rivendell Master Gamgee, The House of Elrond.

Sam: Did you hear that? Rivendell! We’re going to see the elves!

[ July 17, 2003: Message edited by: Neferchoirwen ]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 05:52 AM   #747
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dūm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Um...can anyone tell me how many miles I've walked?? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

[ July 17, 2003: Message edited by: Tarien Ithil ]

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 06:11 AM   #748
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Sorry, Tarien, we can only tell you where you would be if you were walking in Middle-earth. You'll have to count the miles/kilometers yourself, I'm afraid!

I have now reached 358 miles - only 100 to go, and I'm in Rivendell! Barring illness or other problematic circumstances, I should be able to make it in no more than a month.

When you reach Rivendell, if you've reported regularly to the Éowyn Challenge milestones page, you can have that accomplishment listed here. Please send an E-mail to kallycarey@insightbb.com to let them know about it.

Will you continue walking when you've reached the goal? I've decided to try to reach Rivendell a second time before the movie release date in December - if I do some biking in addition to walking, I should make it!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 06:40 AM   #749
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Hilde? Hilde? Helloooo? Oh, dear, where have you gone off to? The Trollshaws is the last place I want to be alone in! Hilde??

She can't be that far away, even thought I've been terribly slow the past several days. Perhaps I can catch her again today. No rest for the weary! Or the muddy and footsore, either!
Old 07-17-2003, 07:38 AM   #750
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dūm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
You'll have to count the miles/kilometers yourself, I'm afraid!
Ooooooh, OK, now I understand *sits and feels stupid* Thanks Estelyn! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 08:52 AM   #751
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

Oh my...i have still 5 miles to the Bald Hill in the Old Forest. I was biking(about 41 miles in two days) and now i'm sitting by the table and feeling lazy [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
I really doubt my changes to make it even through the Old Forest...i always begin to count miles and then i forget it. If i counted every walk with my dog and so on i think i would have already reach rivendell...or maybe not! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

I'm just thinking the poor hobbits: all the way with bare feet!huh!
Old 07-17-2003, 09:22 AM   #752
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mileage update:

MEMBER : MILEAGE
alaklondewen : 274 (47 m.)
Alatariel : 293 (41 m.)
Annunfuiniel : 144
Arvedui III : 136
Arafangwen : 180 (27 m.)
ArwenBaggins : 286 (33 m.)
Aylwen Dreamsong : ?
bain_edhel : 12
Bulelainwen : 108
Barrow Wight : 80 (30 m.)
Durelin : 2
Durlossiel : 105
dragoneyes : 145
Eärendil : 112 (7 m.)
Eruwen : 70
Estelyn Telcontar : 333 (53 m.)
Faenaduial : 94 (12 m.)
Firondoiel : 44
Gorwingel : 360 (50 m.)
Hilde Bracegirdle : 366 (41 m.)
Horsemaiden Of The Shire : 248 (40 m.)
Ilsanie : 5.5
Joy : 14
Kalel : 32
Keowyn : 3?
Lalaith : 214 (23 m.)
Lindolirian : 170
Linnamalle : 367 (367 m.)
Linzielf : 401 (111 m.)
LotrMaster02 : ?
Lyra Greenleaf : 229 (38 m.)
Maiden of the Dry Waterfall : ?
mark12_30 : 305
Naz : ?
Neferchoiren : 173 (30 m.)
Niluial : 264
Nurumaiel : 160 (25 m.)
peony_foxburr : 278 (25 m.)
Raefindel : 311 (18 m.)
Ranger Jewel : 35?
red : 52.5
Rochelle : 59
Salix : 11
Schmendrick : 70
Sindafalathiel : 11
Sophia the Thunder Mistress : 151 (14 m.)
SwordMaiden of Rohan : ?
Tar-Palantir : ?
Tarvasa : 43
Tefalathiel : 170
The Phantom: 28
The Real Findorfin : ?
Thenamir : 56 (56 m.)
Tigerlily Gamgee : 50 (20 m.)
Tinuviel of Denton : 170 (20 m.)
Tira O Alata : ?
Vanwalossien : 220 (33 m.)
Vardamar : 314
Old 07-17-2003, 11:30 AM   #753
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Just a clarification:Peony's "fever" on Middle-earth related to the ten days of extreme heat and humidity in the first part of July, in the northeastern U.S., when her alter ego could not bear to drag herself outdoors. As Alatariel and Arwen Baggins had caught up with her, but then drew ahead in their mileage... Said alter ego is, however, perfectly healthy! The kind sentiments are appreciated, anyway [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

What to do with one's walking miles, after reaching Rivendell? I'm much more likely to keep up with it if there's some sort of goal attached besides the intangibles of better health, lower body fat percentage, etc. (Being naturally inclined, like Dorothy Parker, to respond to an urge to exercise by "lying down until it passes.")

A while back, someone proposed a "walk to Mordor," half facetiously, but perhaps if those of us who have struggled with *cough*weight issues*cough* for a long time arrived at Mt. Doom, we could throw some Thing that represented them into the fiery pit. (Virtually, of course--don't litter the national parks)

Around here, of course, the biggest obstacle to exercise after November is winter. People do not shovel their sidewalks, and the streets are just plain dangerous. Knowing myself, this means investing in a treadmill (then setting it up someplace it will be USED--not the basement, in other words).

(I hope the departure from strictly Middle earth discussion is permissible, Mr. Barrow-wight. If not, will cease and desist--please don't close the thread)
-The Return of the King
Old 07-17-2003, 12:15 PM   #754
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Quote:
But they had not not gone very far before Pippin came running back followed by Merry. They both looked terrified.

"There are trolls!" Pippin panted. "Down in the clearing in the woods not far below. We got sight of them through the tree-trunks."
Linnamalle, , the coast is clear, haven't hear any horses since Weathertop. Don't lose hope, I have caught sight of the Loudwater in the distance!
Old 07-17-2003, 12:57 PM   #755
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Sting

My goodness, Hilde, you have gone racing ahead!

"Pursuing her with weary feet..."

Although my recent milage slump is unsettling, still, a walk to Mount Doom sounds wonderful! I mean, er, well, you know. At least we'd see Lothlorien. And the Anduin. And Ithilien. And what a celebration when we finally arrive!
Old 07-17-2003, 02:19 PM   #756
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
The grass under their feet was smooth and short, as if it had been mown or shaven. The eaves of the Forest behind were clipped, and trim as a hedge. The path was now plain before them, well-tended and bordered with stone.
Yah! Finally made it to Tom Bombadill's house. It's lovely weather so I think I will press on with another walk tonight. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2003, 03:04 PM   #757
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Forward on to Doom? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] But who is going to come up with all the lovely milestones?

And has anyone checked to see what the winning saying was for the second contest?
Old 07-17-2003, 03:21 PM   #758
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Hilde, the results have not been announced yet; as a matter of fact, the voting link is still up. I'm checking there regularly, but if anyone sees it faster, please do let us know!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 05:57 PM   #759
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Quote:
Forward on to Doom? But who is going to come up with all the lovely milestones?
*Peony rummages through her knapsack and pulls out a gold circlet as a bribe--erm,gift for the Barrow-Wight*
-The Return of the King
Old 07-17-2003, 06:21 PM   #760
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

*grin* Walk to Mt. Doom? Oh, goody, goody, goody! *adds a pair of gold armbands to the bri--gift pile to the BW*

Tinuviel felt very behind everyone else. She could not see anyone near her...oh, wait, there was Neferchoirwen, right behind her. She turned around and waved.
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote