Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2005, 10:42 AM   #361
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
Aman, I do believe you mean August 7th... unless you mean you won't be back for another year?
Smartass

I'm back, but as to how much I can get on is debateable - I'm having some issues with internet access at home and, as barrowdowns is blocked on the library computer (don't ask), I am currently using my mum's builder's laptop that I have borrowed for the afternoon. Again just...don't even ask. The lengths I go to for youse lot! However, as we are on that thread at the moment, just to let you know that I will be away in Salisbury on a Cathedral singing holiday thingy from 21st August until 28th August (ha, got the right month this time!), and on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th September doing Silver Duke of Edinburough - a decision I seriously regretted on the practise walk and will probably regret again on the three day expedition. Not fun happy time...

Sorry... I'll go read up now anyway - it's good to be back, however...tenuously.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:35 AM   #362
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Aman - I'm so glad you're back! And I'm so sorry your having comp troubles. Let me know if you'll be able to get a post up in the next few days, just to have an idea of when to expect you. Please don't feel rushed into posting, though. You do go too far for us guys!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:47 AM   #363
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanaduial the archer
Smartass

I will be away in Salisbury on a Cathedral singing holiday thingy from 21st August until 28th August (ha, got the right month this time!), and on the

Sorry... I'll go read up now anyway - it's good to be back, however...tenuously.

Oh are you doing a concert? Beware if the answer is yes I might come and listen..!!!!

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 08-09-2005, 11:49 AM   #364
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Not a concert exactly - evensong every evening but Thursday in the Cathedral
Old 08-09-2005, 11:58 AM   #365
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Reminders for posting to the RPG:
  • ~*~ Please don't use ***ICONS*** or smileys on your game posts -- save them for the Discussion Thread.

• ~*~ Please don't put a 'reason for editing' comment on the RPG for why you edited your post. If it was something you need to draw attention to, then post about it on the Discusion Thread.

Thanks!

~*~Pio
Old 08-09-2005, 12:02 PM   #366
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Encaitare - computer probs; 7th thru maybe the 10th or so
I'll still be able to post; the library is right near my house.

Firefoot -- should we carry Kath's character until she returns, or kill him? Your idea of your character's revenge could be pretty sweet.

And I agree, we ought to play out the battle. Warning to you all: I've never written a battle sequence before, whether in fanfiction or RPG. Therefore my descriptions might not be so hot... but I'll do my best!

It doesn't make much difference to me when the battle starts. Whenever everyone's ready...
Old 08-09-2005, 12:11 PM   #367
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Firefoot -- should we carry Kath's character until she returns, or kill him? Your idea of your character's revenge could be pretty sweet.
I don't think it would be that hard to carry Kath's character along, and, like Durelin said, we're not to the final battle yet. Revenge could always happen at that point. So I guess I'm for carrying him along.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:11 PM   #368
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Not a concert exactly - evensong every evening but Thursday in the Cathedral

How glorious..... well it will depend on work ..... 5.30 kick off is too tight to be certain.....

Old 08-09-2005, 01:35 PM   #369
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Durelin - don't be silly And thanks - but post is up nonetheless Do you want to set up the meeting or shall I?

Mithalwen - hmm. I don't know yet - any idea what time evensong is usually? It varies - at Windsor it was about 6:00, but Ripon was like 3:30. So I'm not sure, I won't know until we get there. But that would be amazing You live in Salisbury?
Old 08-09-2005, 01:43 PM   #370
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Aman - And a wonderful post it is! Sorry, for some reason I assumed from you post about computer troubles that you wouldn't be getting a post up so soon. Silly me, underestimating you.

Setting up the meeting... Well, I should be doing homework, but I'll be doing a post instead...shall be up by tomorrow evening at the latest, unless one of my dear family members kills me...or just steals the computer away....
Old 08-10-2005, 06:17 AM   #371
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Durelin - don't be silly And thanks - but post is up nonetheless Do you want to set up the meeting or shall I?

Mithalwen - hmm. I don't know yet - any idea what time evensong is usually? It varies - at Windsor it was about 6:00, but Ripon was like 3:30. So I'm not sure, I won't know until we get there. But that would be amazing You live in Salisbury?

No I live near Bournemouth but it is not too far to travel only the time is a factor if I am working that day ...... Their website says 5.30 .. I will see... It would be a nice idea. Cathedral Evensongs are lovely ... used to go often in Oxford .

Old 08-10-2005, 05:53 PM   #372
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Whoo...posted. Almost didn't make it! Surprise trip to my grandmother's.... My post was written in the car on the way home, so I hope it's alright. Let me know if I need to change anything, Aman.

Edit:

Just a quick note to the Dwarves, Lorien Elves, and Orcs:

Whenever it is a good time for those of you who are able to post to start your battle, please do. If need be, I can carry along the Lorien Elves when Arestevana departs for a week. I won't hijack their characters, but if a general post is needed, I can do that. Or they can simply be carried along by you Dwarves and Orcs as necessary.

Also, I was thinking that the Dwarves and Elves arrival in Eregion (which I know is a ways off yet...just saying) would be a good time to make *the great transition*. Unless that is too long to wait. What does everyone think?

Last edited by Durelin; 08-11-2005 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:49 PM   #373
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Sorry I will fill my save tomorrow.... It is only going to be a scene setter - Losrian's early morning at home and then off to work "day in the life of an apprentice will involve preparing and lighting a fire at home and a forge at work, general domestics and probably fiddling around with arrowheads - so nothing that should affect anyone much save maybe aman but if she wants to do a post I will fit in

Old 08-13-2005, 08:27 PM   #374
Arestevana
Shade of Carn Dűm

Arestevana has just left Hobbiton.
The unsuspecting Lorien Elves are in position. Whoever wants to carry them for the week, go right ahead.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:25 PM   #375
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

The Orcs have begun their attack; after firing some arrows, they charged down into the valley. I set it up so that the Orcs will be attacking from the front/side, trying to cut the Elves off, so that the Dwarves will be able to come up from behind, besetting the Orcs on both sides. In case that isn't clear, here's a really quickie map I whipped up:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg map.JPG (7.4 KB, 592 views)
Old 08-14-2005, 08:00 PM   #376
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, I'm back.

It appears that I've missed a lot of conversation. If someone could please fill me in with a few nice, sweet paragraphs, that'd be great. Otherwise, I think I'd have to read pages...

I'll catch up on the RPG reading itself whenever I have time. Some of it can be managed this evening, I'm sure.

Until later, when I have questions...

-Folwren
Old 08-14-2005, 08:21 PM   #377
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

You haven't missed much, Folwren, don't worry. The thread has just expanded suddenly because Pio merged the Planning thread with this one.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:21 AM   #378
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Reminders for posting to the RPG:
  • ~*~ Please don't use ***ICONS*** or smileys on your game posts -- save them for the Discussion Thread.

• ~*~ Please don't put a 'reason for editing' comment on the RPG for why you edited your post. If it was something you need to draw attention to, then post about it on the Discusion Thread.

Thanks!

~*~Pio
Old 08-16-2005, 01:28 AM   #379
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Where are you Orcs in relationship to this map?

I have the remaining 22 Dwarves (three Dwarves are staying with the supplies stashed there) heading down from a shallow cave in the side of the Misty Mountains south of the Eastern Gate and going toward the southern end of the Mirrormere. They see the Elves appoaching the Mirrormere and the bow and arrow attack upon them by the Orcs.

You must be positioned on the lower slopes . . . right? And we are coming down toward you from behind?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've filled my SAVE - let me know if it's alright.

Last edited by Arry; 08-16-2005 at 02:35 AM.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:56 AM   #380
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Quote:
You must be positioned on the lower slopes . . . right? And we are coming down toward you from behind?
Right. Everything looks fine to me.

(Obviously I wasn't looking at a real map when I wrote my post... I'm glad you posted one.)
Old 08-16-2005, 08:09 AM   #381
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dűm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
The Beginning of the End

The Darkness grows, and Mordor awakens. The end of Eregion draws nigh.

To give you all an idea of what you're up against, here is the bio for my cameo baddie.

Quote:
NAME: He is known to the Elves as Angoroth, the Iron Terror. To all others, he was named only by his short-lived title, as The Hammer of Morgoth. However, his true name he has lost, having let it go unused for an age, or more. Thus, he does not name himself, as he feels he is already quite recognizable through the fear he instills with his brooding presence.

AGE: He does not care to remember how long he has resided in Ea.

RACE: Maiar, in the form of a Man.

WEAPONS: His preferred method of combat is with his broadsword, which he is often found gleefully dismembering his enemies with. Though he bears no other weapons, he is a formidable opponent without one. His large hands and strong arms are capable of exerting the force necessary to crush the skull of any creature, even if it leaves its helmet on.

APPEARANCE: Angoroth stands slightly taller than a Numenorean. His hair is black, like coal. His eyes are equally as dark, and they bear a peculiar glint of mischief, and a yearning for horrendous carnage and wanton destruction. His face, when he reveals it, is surprisingly unscathed by two ages of warfare. He is well ‘designed’, as he fondly describes himself. He wears a black, modified version of a Barbute helm upon his head, which is topped off by a cascade of black horse hair for a plume. Over his chest he wears black padded cloth, with blackened chain mail laid over that. The same color-scheme applies to the vambraces and greaves that he bears on his forearms and legs.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: His most desirable quality, at least to Sauron, is his apparent ‘need’ for slaughter and mayhem. With a great lack of massive wars in this Second Age, his blade has gone without the stain of blood, to his disappointment, and he now craves it, as if addicted to bloodshed and the lust for it. But, unlike some of Sauron’s other minions and henchmen, he is patient enough to wait for his time. However, upon reaching that point, he becomes rather impetuous. Though most would consider his massive ego and temper a problem, Sauron does not, and has found that this particular egotistical, warmongering, volcano of a Maiar is quite useful to his purposes. His hatred of the Elves has also been something of great interest to the Dark Lord, who seeks to his him in his coming war against them.

Despite his ‘desirable’ qualities, the Dark Lord has found a few…traits…that are unwanted, and quite problematic. At any random moment, he wanders away from his duties, to brood and contemplate that which has long been forgotten by most. On one occasion, this led to a group of rebellious Easterlings crushing the troop of orcs under his command. He also displays a complete lack of sanity, normally just prior to, or just following, one his brooding moments. And, in the spirit of sport, he has shown mercy, if he feels bored and desires to ‘hunt’ his ‘prey’. His personality irregularities only grow more eccentric from there, leading some of Sauron’s more worthy minions to secretly question the choice of him as The Dark Lord’s “Hand”.

HISTORY: Angoroth, named by the Elves for the black cloth and armored garb he is fond of, as well as the death he afforded a good many of those who did not continue the march to The Blessed Realm. Their utter hatred of him, though miniscule in the larger sense, has caused him to be stricken from their memories, his name only mentioned in the darkest, most forgotten histories. And his true name was not to be uttered again, and was completely forgotten by all but a few. Just prior, he had fought for Morgoth, and tried in vain to break the siege of Utumno for his lord. This failure was his first. He was banished by the Dark Lord, and he fled into the wilderness of the East, to hunt anything unwary enough to travel beyond Beleriand. He hunted the Elves for a time, and then vanished. Well, at least until the Siege of Angband. Having seen his forces torn apart, Morgoth summoned back his “Hammer”, and allowed him to sow death in the ranks of the Elves and the Host of the Valar, and reap the joys of it. But, when Angband fell, before Morgoth could be captured, he banished his minion for the final time. Angoroth escaped the fall of the doomed fortress, and fled eastward, yet again. This time, however, he fled deeper into the East; farther than he had since his first banishment, near to the place where he first found the Elves. There, he settled down in mountains now unknown to him, and he hid his visage from all, waiting for a time when he could rise again.

That time would come well into the Second Age, though he knew it not as that. His sense of time had all but dissipated, leaving him ‘stuck’ in the past. The centuries that he waited in the darkness of the mountains left him with little to do. He brooded mostly, on his failures. At other times, he would create elaborate recreations of his past battles, failure or not, and strategize his plans for vengeance. Yet, when Sauron rose up in his might, and began terrorizing and manipulating the Easterling tribes into serving him as soldiers, Angoroth came down from his mountain abode, and began to seek blood. He hated Sauron, for the second Dark Lord had been Morgoth’s right hand, the place of honor that Angoroth felt should have been bestowed upon him instead. He fought against Sauron’s orcs, and the Easterlings, until Sauron summoned the rogue Maiar to him. The Dark Lord was preparing for a massive war, and he promised Angoroth the blood of the Noldor, those which he sought vengeance against. Though wary, and still wearing his contempt for Sauron on his sleeve, he accepted the offer, and became the Hand of Sauron, his champion. After that, he was given command of an eastern battalion, and sent to put down rebellions, to both keep him occupied, and keep him conditioned for the war. And now, that time has come, and Angoroth goes forth to achieve his redemption.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:03 AM   #382
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

ALL PLAYERS

Do not use any of the icons when you post to the RPG thread.

~*~ Pio
Old 08-16-2005, 09:09 AM   #383
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Quote:
ALL PLAYERS

Do not use any of the icons when you post to the RPG thread.
*smacks head* I finally get it, Pio. So sorry. My mind saw smileys and icons and combined the two to mean the same thing.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:04 AM   #384
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Hey, Captain, do we get to kill him in the end?

He looks pretty cool. I think I am going to like to see him in battle...from a distance.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:18 PM   #385
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Save filled, finally. Done with my summer work now, though, so I have more time for posting.

Quote:
Hey, Captain, do we get to kill him in the end?
Hehe, I don't know about that one, Folwren. Usually that would be the case (as he tends to have fun killing characters off), but he seems pretty fond of his character this time.

EDIT: I'm ashamed of myself. Horribly. I forgot to ask you, Aman: did I handle Narisiel alright in my post?

Last edited by Durelin; 08-16-2005 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:23 PM   #386
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dűm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
Save filled, finally. Done with my summer work now, though, so I have more time for posting.

Hehe, I don't know about that one, Folwren. Usually that would be the case (as he tends to have fun killing characters off), but he seems pretty fond of his character this time.
Considering he's my first fully flushed out evil character, no. And, I am very fond of him. Besides, I don't let player characters kill my own characters, only mindless drones who swarm en masse.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:00 PM   #387
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptainofDespair:
Considering he's my first fully flushed out evil character, no. And, I am very fond of him. Besides, I don't let player characters kill my own characters, only mindless drones who swarm en masse.
Nuts! I was hoping. Not for my dwarf to do the job or anything...but I like seeing the good guys win, you know? Nothing against you...or your character.
He is rather interesting, though, so I can see why you are fond of him.

- Folwren
Old 08-16-2005, 02:06 PM   #388
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
EDIT: I'm ashamed of myself. Horribly. I forgot to ask you, Aman: did I handle Narisiel alright in my post?
As always Ditto to Celebrimbor in my most recent one?

Save filled.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:36 PM   #389
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Quote:
Ditto to Celebrimbor in my most recent one?
Of course! Besides, I'd never claim him as my own character.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:42 AM   #390
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Riv could use a little rescuing . . . he's about to be creamed . . .
Old 08-17-2005, 11:56 AM   #391
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

White-Hand

Quote:
By Pio:
Riv could use a little rescuing . . . he's about to be creamed . . .
Yes, I realize that. I think I'll skip the part about Bror being wounded and come save him instead...that could be just as good writing. I'll have that done before too long, I hope.

- Folwren
Old 08-17-2005, 04:23 PM   #392
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ah, Folwren!

Skald was planning on having him and his buddies drag off his 2 brothers!!

You sure you don't want an Orc to take a good whack at you there at the end?
Old 08-17-2005, 08:10 PM   #393
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

You amuse me, Arry, but you also convince me. You seem eager enough to have a couple wounded brothers. I wanted to see your reaction anyway and see what Skald would do if Bror got hurt. I'll do that, but you'd better be quick, or we shall both die.

Oh, and considering how I see no possible way for either of us to get to Riv before that second orc has his club in contact with his head, can I keep the throwng axes? Those are cool.

I'll fix that now and will have it reposted before I get off tonight...

- Folwren
Old 08-17-2005, 09:10 PM   #394
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

1420!

Everybody involved...I edited my post, and don't believe it was for Arry's sake alone. It's a rather drastic change.

Firefoot, if you would like, those two orcs that just helped eachother clobber Bror could be your characters, if you like. They seem capable of escaping death, if you wanted them to.

Have fun, all. I'm being kicked off to bed.

- Folwren
Old 08-18-2005, 12:03 AM   #395
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Filled in my Save. Glűtkask has just received word that the orcs will be retreating, so Firefoot, I leave the carrying out of the retreat to ye.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:13 AM   #396
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'll finish my post sometime later today (it's 2 a.m. here at present).

I'll get us to the base of the track leading up to the Eastern Gate . . . if you don't mind I'll invent a small troop of Dwarven guards sent down in response to Brand's arrow . . . they should be able to hold off any Orc still following behind.

I'll bring the Elves along, too . . . there are now about 60 still able-bodied, @20 injured and 20 dead.

Sound alright?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pio and Folwren

How wounded/conscious are your Dwarves? Will they be able to respond to Skald if he talks to them as they retreat to safety?

Last edited by Arry; 08-18-2005 at 03:17 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:58 AM   #397
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Thumbs up

Arry, I answered your question by PM without even knowing you asked it! Leastways, I kind of answered it...here's a reply to the rest of what you asked.

I don't know to what extent he is wounded, but he is pretty unconscious. After a moment (probably by the time Skald gets to him), Bror will have come to slightly, but not very much. I don't think he'll be able to respond to Skald if he talks to him. He'll be dizzy and disoriented, hardly unable to see straight, and though he'll know Skald's voice, he won't know what he's saying and he won't be able to answer.

That work?
Old 08-18-2005, 10:46 AM   #398
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Riv has lost a lot of blood from the wound beneath his right arm. He's limp, unconscious, unable to respond save for groans of pain if the arm is moved too much.

Poor Unna! She will be quite distraught. Let's hope Leifr doesn't lose his daddy!

~*~ Pio
Old 08-18-2005, 12:57 PM   #399
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Aman - I am almost certain to be able to get to Salisbury on Thursday... (will be a quiet week at work and so I can take time off).... so if you wouldn't be too freaked....

Old 08-18-2005, 02:15 PM   #400
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

I don't suppose we could see a pic of the two of you . . . pretty please . . .

~*~ Pio