The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2007, 07:12 AM   #1
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Drop Everything Right Now!!!

http://tolkien.hcp-uk.co.uk/ Desktops, avatars STUFF

AND a TRAILER for the book http://tolkien.hcp-uk.co.uk/thechildrenofhurin.aspx
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:25 AM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Moving to N&N, as this is an announcement rather than a discussion - please drool there!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:30 AM   #3
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
Moving to N&N, as this is an announcement rather than a discussion - please drool there!
Well, I think it should be EVERYWHERE!!!!

Sorry, bit over excited....
Old 04-05-2007, 07:43 AM   #4
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Thumbs up

WOW!

*breathless*

(finally takes some breath after a while)

Thanks very much, davem! Shame I already have my own avatar, otherwise I'd use one of these... or should we all for solidarity "wear" one of the avatars for the day the book comes out?

But it still does not mean... (utilizes desktop wallpaper )

Waiting impatiently for the screensaver (trailer looks great. I never saw a trailer on a book before )
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:46 AM   #5
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
Thanks very much, davem! Shame I already have my own avatar, otherwise I'd use one of these... or should we all for solidarity "wear" one of the avatars for the day the book comes out?
Well, it took me about 50 attempts to get an avatar on here, so don't hold your breath. I've got the nice Beleg & Outlaws (I think that's what it is) as my desktop now.

Just waiting for the Tolkien Estate site now....
Old 04-05-2007, 08:17 AM   #6
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
I've got the nice Beleg & Outlaws (I think that's what it is) as my desktop now.
You mean that one where they are pointing arrows on him? I have that one too!

But I think it would be good to do something on the day of release, something like "come all wearing red hats", you know... and the avatars are actually the only one I thought of...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 04-05-2007, 08:29 AM   #7
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Kind of interesting that in the little piece by CT on the site he refers to Morgoth as 'the God', when Tolkien himself stopped calling the Valar 'gods' in the 20's/30's? And the statement that CoH 'became the dominant story in his later work on Middle-earth.' is intruiging. I wonder why CoH came to be the 'dominant story' rather than Beren & Luthien? Or even Tuor & the Fall of Gondolin?
Old 04-05-2007, 09:05 AM   #8
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Wow!

Thanks davem!

*quickly goes to edit his avatar*
Old 04-05-2007, 10:09 AM   #9
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc

Waiting impatiently for the screensaver (trailer looks great. I never saw a trailer on a book before )
I've managed to work out how to use the desktop illustrations as screensavers - save the one you want as a jpeg to desktop & select 'Desktop' as the source for the screensaver. Well, it works with macs anyway..
Old 04-05-2007, 10:15 AM   #10
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

*faints*
Old 04-05-2007, 10:26 AM   #11
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
I've managed to work out how to use the desktop illustrations as screensavers - save the one you want as a jpeg to desktop & select 'Desktop' as the source for the screensaver. Well, it works with macs anyway..
"NIce. But I think I'll wait for the F50." => Nice, but I think I'll wait for their screensavers, especially if they look similar to the Trailer (but you probably won't be seeing me at the Downs so often then, because I'll be watching my screensaver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might
Wow!

Thanks davem!

*quickly goes to edit his avatar*
Bye-bye, Serious - you don't stand a chance against Húrin!
Old 04-05-2007, 10:29 AM   #12
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Nah, Serious we'll be back soon, but for a while I'll stay in the Narn I Chin Hurin mood
Old 04-05-2007, 02:09 PM   #13
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Well, I think it should be EVERYWHERE!!!!
I agree. Where are those eagle when you need them?

Fantastic to see the author's publisher finally dipping their toes in to the internet medium.

nicely done
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:44 AM   #14
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
But I'm a trifle annoyed by this "oldest story of Middle-earth" business: untrue, whichever way you look at it.
William Cloud Hicklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:00 AM   #15
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Tolkien
Against them he [Morgoth] sent his formidable servant, Glaurang, a powerful spirit in the form of a huge wingless dragon of fire
Well, I guess that will eliminate discussion of the wings variety.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:20 PM   #16
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Kind of interesting that in the little piece by CT on the site he refers to Morgoth as 'the God', when Tolkien himself stopped calling the Valar 'gods' in the 20's/30's? And the statement that CoH 'became the dominant story in his later work on Middle-earth.' is intruiging. I wonder why CoH came to be the 'dominant story' rather than Beren & Luthien? Or even Tuor & the Fall of Gondolin?

For your second question, the simple answer is that it is the most memorable and dramatic story - I didn't reread the Silmarillion for a long but the story of Turin stayed clearest in the memory.

As for the first... maybe CT is rooting for the wrong side !

Seriously, having just read the Milton Waldman letter in its long form at the start of the Silmarillion second edition, I think it is just using a term which is perhas more understandable than "(angelic) powers", to those who don't perhaps know the Sil but have encountered Norse / Classical mythology..... however it surely should not have been capitalised ...how intriguing if CT did so himself!!!!

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:29 PM   #17
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
For your second question, the simple answer is that it is the most memorable and dramatic story - I didn't reread the Silmarillion for a long but the story of Turin stayed clearest in the memory.
It was also the story that was most directly inspired by the Kalevala, which seems to have been the great inspiration for Tolkien to begin the Legendarium. I wonder what that tells us. Did Tolkien feel more affinity for the themes in that story. I still find it odd that Beren & Luthien (with such a personal importance for Tolkien) wasn't the one he wanted to bring to a conclusion, or Tuor, which if Garth is correct was directly inspired by his wartime experiences. CoH seems to have been the one of the three Great Tales that had no 'autobiographical' aspect to it.

Quote:
Seriously, having just read the Milton Waldman letter in its long form at the start of the Silmarillion second edition, I think it is just using a term which is perhas more understandable than "(angelic) powers", to those who don't perhaps know the Sil but have encountered Norse / Classical mythology..... however it surely should not have been capitalised ...how intriguing if CT did so himself!!!!
Its odd for CT to use the term 'God' or even 'god' at all - was Morgoth ever classed among the 'gods' even of the early Sil? I'm wondering if that little piece will appear on the flyleaf of CoH? Of course, Morgoth is the only 'divine' power to appear in the story as far as I recall (are any of the Valar even mentioned in the tale?).
Old 04-06-2007, 02:36 PM   #18
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Yes I think so - the Valaquenta says he was counted "no longer "among the Valar and in the letter Tolkien says that the word Valar is "englished" as gods.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote