The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2006, 11:24 PM   #1
KL70

How would you have gone about more successfully toppling Sauron ?

What (serious or humorous) strategies would you have used (or would like to have seen used) to go about successfully toppling Sauron (either with or without the use of the Ring) that would've been different or superior (in your opinion) to what Mr. Tolkien used in his trilogy.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:41 AM   #2
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Gandalf using the Ring

Gandalf would really and truly have needed to start the process sooner rather than later (i.e. he would have needed to have been working on building up a base of operations for awhile and then have seized the Ring just as soon as Bilbo found it). Saruman wasn't on a bad track in the method he chose, although choosing Isengard as a base of operations was perhaps not the best idea. For Gandalf, perhaps Fornost and the area around Lake Evendim (the center of the old realm of Arnor) would probably have made a good center for a new kingdom.

Last edited by Kuruharan; 11-09-2006 at 09:00 AM. Reason: I forgot to include my expository title...
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:43 AM   #3
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hello KL70, and welcome to the Downs.

Me, I would have asked the Eagles to fly me down to Mordor so I could drop the Ring in the fire right away rather than plodding all the way there. (The only concern I'd have had on the way, of course, would have been the balrog of Moria who might have easily used his fully functional wings to fly up and attack me.)
Old 11-09-2006, 08:56 AM   #4
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I would have chosen Samwise as the ringbearer. He would not yield to the enticings of the ring, unlike Frodo the failure.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:07 AM   #5
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
Me, I would have asked the Eagles to fly me down to Mordor so I could drop the Ring in the fire right away rather than plodding all the way there. (The only concern I'd have had on the way, of course, would have been the balrog of Moria who might have easily used his fully functional wings to fly up and attack me.)
An alternative, but similar strategy, would be to ask the Balrog to fly the Ringbearer to Mount Doom, using his fully functioning wings.

The Balrog's incentive, of course, would be that there would be a vacancy for the position of Middle-earth resident Dark Lord once the Ring was destroyed.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:20 AM   #6
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Joking aside, the Eagles and the Balrogs could be trempted by the Ring. Give them access to it, they will be tempted just as Gandalf, Boromir etc were.

The plot of LOTR is SO TIGHT that even a small change has domino like ramifications. I remember a great thread on another site a few years back that asked what if Glorfindel replaced Pippin in the Fellowship? I ended up explaining that it would mean the end of Middle-earth as we know it.

I therefore put it to you that any other attempt to defeat Sauron and the Powers of Darkness would have ended in total failure
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:54 AM   #7
zeen

Sting

If you tried to find reasons why the actual constellation could fail you certainly would also find them... every way depends on coincidences and actions of the involved persons or creatures which cannot be foreseen.
Tolkien's way is perfect, but that doesn't mean there could not be another one, I think, even though you had to change more than just a detail.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:56 AM   #8
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
If Gandalf were paying attention, he would have realized immediately that Bilbo's Ring was the One. While Sauron was retreating from Dol Guldur, Gandalf would have, using Shadowfax's sire, raced him to Mordor. At that point it would be a sprint for the Sammath Naur. Gandalf, having legs, could easily outrun the Eye.

Sauron would be obviously motivated; Gandalf would be likewise, being foresighted, knowing that if he didn't destroy Sauron then and there, he would be cursed later to journey the better part of a year with Pippin.

Run, Gandalf, run!

Another strategy would be for the Eagles to take Bilbo aside and simply drop him into Mount Doom. Sure, you'd still have fire and ruin in the north, and a Balrog loose in Moria, but it's not up to us to right all wrongs, but to give others clean earth to till (or something).
Old 11-09-2006, 10:12 AM   #9
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

One, quite obvious, way he could have written it would have had the good guys win in battle. He'd probably have to invoke some other semi-mythical kingdom from the far east or whatever to come to Gondor's aid, because Mordor had such strength in numbers. Aragorn, of course, would slay Sauron on the field. Then, during the quarrel over the spoils, the Hobbits and Gandalf would steal away with the Ring — the Arkenstone manouver — and destroy it, saving the good guys from themselves.

This might actually appeal to those who love nothing better than the might of battle (though I think it would somewhat undermine the status of Sauron as this beasting, all-powerful Dark Lord).
Old 11-09-2006, 10:19 AM   #10
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Well, it could all have been side-stepped if Elrond and Cirdan were given greater powers of persuasion and Isildur not allowed to be the vain, arrogant, pig-headed type he was.

That would have allowed The Professor to write an extensive piece on weregild and revenge, much as he did on chivalry and heroism. After all, death in battle can hardly be called wrongful death, so weregild really didn't apply, despite Isildur's claims.

This might have allowed The Professor also to write his own Silm instead of pouring all his sub-creative energies into LotR. Of course, that would have denied us the opportunity to berate or praise Tolkien Jr. for his compilation.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:17 AM   #11
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

What about a catapult?
Old 11-09-2006, 01:34 PM   #12
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Yes Elrond simply could have pushed Isildur.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:10 AM   #13
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

LOTR... the kung fu version.

May not make a good book, but would solve the Sauron problem in only one movie!

Step 1: a whole lotta kung fu training scenes.

Step 2: Gandalf and his posse (a different fellowship from the original, including Glorfindel and other bad @ss elves) take on the 9 riders, Sauron's personal bodyguard. Gandalf alone walks out of the ensuing mayhem alive, with the Ring.

Step 3: unarmed kung fu battle between Gandalf and Sauron, in the Sammath Naur. For the coup de grâce, Gandalf sends the dark lord soaring into the fiery bowels of the mountain with a flying kick.

The Ring survives... room for a sequel... heck no, a franchise!

I'm surprised Peter Jackson didn't think of this.
doug*platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 03:23 PM   #14
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Any film can be improved by turning it into a kung-fu version. I'm not sure if there is an accepted equivalent for books. We need to uncover this secret. Any ideas?