The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-01-2004, 09:21 AM   #41
ElberethVarda
Pile O'Bones

ElberethVarda has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Hobbits are not Scottish.
But Billy Boyd is...

I would love to Andy Serkis as Gollum, Ian Holm as Gandalf, Ian Mckellan as Gandalf and Hugo Weaving as Elrond. 'Twould be nice to have the four hobbits from LOTR be domran crowd hobbits. Yes, methinks that would be spiff.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:25 AM   #42
elle
Animated Skeleton

elle has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elle Send a message via MSN to elle
Pipe

I think that Craig Parker would do a great Smaug voice. He did do some of the voice of the RingWraiths, and other characters.

~*Stop Deforestation, Start Reforestation*~
~*Save our Future, Save a Tree*~
elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 02:55 PM   #43
dkhyrosha
Pile O'Bones

dkhyrosha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dkhyrosha Send a message via MSN to dkhyrosha Send a message via Yahoo to dkhyrosha
Here's my two cents:

Bilbo: Ian Holm, you'd be supprised what make-up can do

Smaug: voice would be really cool with James Earl Jones!

Gandalf: Ian McKellen (I can't spell his name)

and if Orlando make his appearance, I will be very happy

As for everyone else, I haven't the slightest idea

Dani
dkhyrosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 03:48 PM   #44
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
Bilbo: Vern Troyer
Gandalf: John Cleese
Oakenshield: Tim Curry (equipped with the accent he had in Congo)
Thranduil: Gene Hackman

I think my choices are pretty self-explanatory. Any objections?

Last edited by Son of Númenor; 08-11-2004 at 11:12 AM.
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 06:21 PM   #45
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Gandalf: Ian McKellen (I can't spell his name)
Not bad for not being able to spell his name, that's exactly right .
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 06:08 PM   #46
Iaurhirwen
Wight

Iaurhirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Iaurhirwen
I'm sorry. I just don't see Vern Troyer as Bilbo. Though he is short, he simply doesn't personify the character for me. Oh well, to each his own.
"Will somebody find my pants?" - "What do you do with a drunkin sailor?" - "You have a giant mole!!!!" - "Tom!! Get out of the Girls's dressing room!" "But she asked me to help find her pants!!" - - - opening night chaos
Iaurhirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 07:45 PM   #47
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

I was thinking Alan Rickman could be Thranduil, especially when interrogating the dwarves. I mean, just look at some of the lines he's going to have and... well, you get the picture.

My friend suggested Antonio Banderas as Bard, although I'll leave that one to you.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:11 PM   #48
PaleStar
Animated Skeleton

PaleStar has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

As someone has probably said before, there shouldn't be that many A-List actors, the hearthrobs. Here are my choices;

Gandalf: Who else?; Sir Ian McKellan. There is no reason, other than if he's dead by then, that he can't be in it.
Bilbo: I'm going to go against some people and say Sir Ian Holm. He, at least to me, is the perfect Bilbo; he captured everything that Bilbo was. That, and I'm sure I can be playfully annoyed by Bilbo's whining in a movie theater.
Gollum: Andy Serkis. It's impossible to be anybody else. Though I would love to see him as one of the elves at Rivendell singing. That'd be so neat!
Smaug: Alan Rickman. I mean, come on; he's perfect. I can just imagine him saying; "you have good manners for a theif and a liar". He's the perfect Dragon, you might say. I don't know about Jeremy Irons; I guess he'd be good, but, I don't know; I'm imagining Scar instead of Smaug.
Smaug has to be CG. I don't know whether they'll act with the customary tennis ball and stick, or have some guy standing there. It's not like you can do mo-cap with a dragon; it has to be made up.
Sean Connery's already been a dragon; watch 'Dragonheart' and see for yourself.
Beorn: Robbie Coltrane. When I first saw him in Harry Potter, I was taken aback. "Geez...he looks like Beorn" I thought. And I don't think he'd have a problem playing Beorn; perhaps it'd let him show off some talent
Bard: A newer actor...not Viggo Mortenson, if that was ever suggested.
Gloin: John Rhys-Davies(sp?)
Thrandiul: Jason Issacs is a perfect choice. Perfect.

I can't think of anymore. And hopefully, there won't be any unneeded romance, though some cameos would be cool. The White Council would be a perfect begining, like a nod to the fans that they listened, but I think they're going to just start with Gandalf and Thorin meeting at the Prancing Pony.
I dearly hope they don't change much. They can literally make the movie exactly like the book, so I don't see why they won't.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:56 AM   #49
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
^ Well,there is allways the fact moviemakers change stories somewhat for them to be more palatable to an unknowing audience.

I'm sure they'll stick closer to the book then with LotR though. I do fear an Arwen cameo or a girlfriend for Bard is unavoidable though. Now a freakishly outrageous and dark thought comes into mind...Arwen's love for the at the time very very young Aragorn is explained by her pedosexual feelings,that she was later able to supress though they once again became evident in the scene in RotK where she sees her future child....oh,really..'a dirty mind is joy for ever'
Old 07-06-2004, 05:30 PM   #50
One of the Nine
Haunting Spirit

Location: In my mind. What? Why are you looking at me like that?
One of the Nine has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to One of the Nine Send a message via MSN to One of the Nine
Sting

Ok, here's what I think:

For Smaug, I really think it should be Andy Serkis, the same with gollum. For Bilbo, they should get some young unknown that looks like Ian Holm, not Ian Holm himself. He's way way way too old. I do think that Legolas should make some uncanny appearance, but just when it seems that he couldn't. For the dwarves, I think they should get a whole new group. For Gandalf, no doubt in my mind it should be Ian McKellen, or however you spell his name.

As for the news about PJ actually making the Hobbit, I haven't heard anything definate, but I do believe that he might make it. At least that's what I've heard.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:30 PM   #51
Memory of Trees
Haunting Spirit

Location: Here! Over here!!! Behind that rock. Yes, that is I...
Memory of Trees has just left Hobbiton.
I'm sure about PJ doing "The Hobbit" yet, either. Last I heard, New Line Cinema hand't asked him yet. I sure hope they don't! "The Hobbit" is a light-hearted children's book, and Mr. Jackson would turn it into something dark for sure. He did that with LOTR, except that it's supposed to be dark. And hey, I cut him some slack - the guy makes obscure zombie movies, for goodness sake! But anyhow, if he's going to have to do it anyway, here's what I have to say.

I disagree that Ian Holm's too old to play Bilbo, although he IS practically a living fossil. I still think he could do an adequate job; besides, it would be weird for someone else to do it!

Andy Serkis for Gollum AND Smaug? I hadn't ever thought of that... Weird. Definetely weird.

I want John Rhys-Davies back as Balin. That would be perfect!