The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2003, 10:31 PM   #1
FingolfintheBold
Haunting Spirit

FingolfintheBold has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to FingolfintheBold
Sting Gandalf to Theoden...

This question is rather trivial, but its something ive been wondering a long time. When Theoden awakes or whatever you wanna call it from Saruman's spell, and goes outside to feel the rain slanting on his face, Gandalf whispers to him of a hope for victory, and the King's face lights up and they turn their faces east and all that.

Now i would certainly think that Gandalf was whispering of Frodo, except that right after that he says something along the lines of "There is another hope upon which everything lays that i cannot speak of even to you."

My question is this: If Gandalf was refering to Frodo in the second quote, then what hope for victory did he whisper to the King about the first time? If Gandalf indeed whispered to the King about Frodo, then what was the hidden hope he spoke of? Any ideas to slate my curiosity?