The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-28-2006, 01:38 AM   #521
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Tolkien Moderator's Analysis

Okay, I have a spare hour, so I'll try to set out the thoughts that I have concerning this game- and I'd like to thank you all very, very much for being a part of it.

Concerning the Game:

Despite accusations to the contrary, my choice of people for roles was more-or-less random. I say more-or-less because I randomly selected all the villagers for roles using the tried-and-true "out of the hat" method, but then I looked at it, and mixed up a couple of names to make what I figured would be a more entertaining game.

Sorry, Lhuna, but you really were a random pick.

I was actually quite pleased with the three Werewolves that I ended up with. Garin was a mate of Morm's, and seemed quite intelligent, and I figured he'd be a bit more experienced than the Old Guard gave him credit. Amanaduial might have been a Werewolf newbie, but posts elsewhere on this forum gave her a solid reputation for intelligence- and the game certainly proved that right. As for Malkatoj, I knew her just well enough to know that she'd been associated with a couple of Werewolf games, and was yet a fairly quiet player (compared to Morm or SPM, say...)

Now, I must confess that having been Saurondacil in my last game, and a Werewolf in both the games before that, I was slightly biased in favour of the Werewolves. But I didn't do anything to try and help them win. Honest!

The only real conscious change of the roles that I made was to make Kuruharan the Cursed. I can't honestly remember if I'd even assigned it to anyone else before I gave it to him. I really wanted to see him go from unsuspicious Villager to suspicious Werewolf... Sorry, Kuru, but your Game I reputation preceeds you.

As for my Gifteds, Lhuna was a pleasant pick for Seer, since it meant that I had the delicious opportunity to drive her nuts... Lhuna really didn't like that role, I have to say. Alcarillo performed admirably as the Ranger, with his save on... was it Night 2 or Night 3- I can't remember? Naria, as Hunter, was never really seen in action... A bit of a pity, since I wanted to write a dual death scene (Garin and Eluchíl was QUITE fun, I must say...)

Kath was an excellent Cobbler, while she lasted. Killing her was very unfortunate for the Wolves, and quite disappointing from my point of view. However, there's no predicting these games...

I was VERY disappointed in Meneltarmacil as the Apprentice. One night he's the new Ranger, the following evening he's dead!

Anyways....

GAME PLAY

I kept waffling back and forth during the game as to who I thought was going to win. On Day 1, I was very pleased with my Wolves' ability to blend in. They were doing admireably. Then, not so long later, the Cobbler was dead, Alcarillo made his nighttime save, and Garin had been lynched. I figured the village would win- and Lhuna's Day 4 (I think...) revelation seemed to bear that out...

Then Amanaduial managed to nearly pull herself back from the brink of conviction, nobody ever seemed to get around to killing Malkatoj, and the dead Innocents were always pointing fingers in the wrong direction.

Then Amanaduial died, Malkatoj was the prime lynchee, and the villagers had the advantage of numbers...

Then Naria had an emergency...

And for a whole shift at work I puzzled out what to do with two villagers and an absentee- who had given me notice and was thus not really able to be killed by an Act of Mod, but who had left the village in a real bind. Wanting a quick end, I left it up to chance... fully expecting Azaelia to post first, and claim a village victory.

(NOTE: Never get Formendacil to make you Werewolf predictions. NEVER)

And, let me take this moment to thank the Ordos for the great game... A lot of mention is made of the Gifteds, Curseds, Wolves, and Whatnots, but you guys are a LOT more fun to watch. Partly because you're zanier- like Nilp, but partly because you're so clueless... Seriously, you guys are fun.

The Modified Roles:

Overall, I'm glad that I went ahead and tried out my new Seer Role. I think it worked, although there's a kink or two that I'd like to iron out in a later game- but we get to that in a moment.

I'm very flattered by the very positive reception that met the invention of the new role of the Apprentice. To be perfectly honest, it was just a way for me to balance the numbers a little between Ordos and Evils, since I wanted to have both a Cobbler and a Cursed. Personally, I don't think that an Apprentice would work in a smaller, classical game of Seer/Hunter/Ranger/Wolf/Wolf/Wolf/eitherCursedorCobbler- but in a larger game with more roles, it works quite well.

The change of Ranger Rules that permitted the Ranger to guard the same person for two nights in a row was again a simple repercussion of my role-tinkering. By weakening the Seer (since she only had two nights to talk to the Mod), I compensated the Villager side by allowing the Ranger to protect two nights in a Row. I beleive that Alcarillo made use of this twice: to protect Gurthang, and then to protect Lhuna. Had Menel been Ranger for longer than he was, I suspect he would have done the same.

Now, getting back to the Seer- the biggest role change, in my opinion, I think that overall it worked quite well- as a change of pace, if not of actual effect. Lhuna was quite hampered by the fact that only one Wolf died before she did, so she asked a few more Ordos for their opinion that might have otherwise happened.

With some reflection regarding the modified Seer role, it occurred to me that this is the perfect sort of role to complement that of the Sherriffs. Now, as a bit of history, the Sherriffs were tried out many games ago, before I ever got into this Werewolf stuff, but were eventually found wanting because you either killed off one before finding out who his partner Innocent was, or they revealed themselves, and became immediate meat for the Wolves.

However, I think that a pair of Sherriffs would work very well in tandem with my modified Seer role. As in past times, these Sherriffs would simply be Ordinary Villagers who would happen to know each other- and would have the option of PMing each other. However, when one died, the Seer would be able to ask the dead Sherriff who their partner was, and so learn the name, conclusively, of another innocent villagers.

Someday, if the people of the 'Downs are ever so gracious as to allow me to Moderate another game, it is my intention to incorporate such changes. The Seer, in that game, would be asking different sorts of questions of different people:

To the Mod, the Seer would ask "What is so-and-so's Role?"

To the Werewolf: "Is so-and-so a Werewolf?"

To the Shirriff: "Who is your partner?"

To a Gifted/Cobbler/Ordo: "Give me as long an analysis as you like concerning so-and-so, with a final verdict on your opinion."

With the exception of the Shirriff addition, that's ROUGHLY how it was working so far....

And now, at the end...

I'm still addicted to this game! I can't believe it...

For my next Moderating assignment, I will be hosting Survivor: Second Age, as soon as Glirdan finishes Survivor: The Hobbit (which I advise you all the check out. F.A.T and R.E.A.L. F.A.T. must be stopped!)

Meanwhile, with regards to this post...

I hope you've made it this far. I'm flattered if you have. This game was an immense struggle at times, to get on every day, at the same time (confounded job!), and to post a decent narration at about that time. Seriously, those last minute votes really left things in the air. However, it was a very rewarding experience, and I'm thankful to all of you for letting me try it.

So I sign off, probably for the last time:

~Michael A. Joosten - WW XVI Moderator~
Old 01-28-2006, 09:35 AM   #522
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
It has?! Can you enlighten me on that? I didn't get to read all games
In WW III Saucepan Man and myself (both of whom were innocent) led a successful campaign that lynched our Seer on DAY ONE. (Hence my hatred of DAY ONE). This caused Saucepan Man and myself to turn on each other in a violent fashion which caused a situation that, due to the indecisiveness of the other players, dragged on for about three DAYS before the Saucepan Man was finally lynched. Ooops! Unfortunately, it would have been “oops” had Saucepan Man gotten what he wanted because I was innocent too. With all the time and innocent players lost by this point, it is unsurprising that the werewolves eventually won this game. However, we did whittle them down to one after there was no more Saucepan vs. Kuruharan sparring going on to distract everybody. It was perfectly in keeping with the whole tone of that game that on the last DAY the final vote was down to two innocents at the end. That game was just one long running fiasco.

Last edited by Kuruharan; 01-28-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:15 PM   #523
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I believe I modded WW4, in which the Seer was also lynched on the first day. The game is most memorable for the abundance of tree frogs.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 04:33 PM   #524
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
And, let me take this moment to thank the Ordos for the great game... A lot of mention is made of the Gifteds, Curseds, Wolves, and Whatnots, but you guys are a LOT more fun to watch. Partly because you're zanier- like Nilp, but partly because you're so clueless... Seriously, you guys are fun.

Yes, it must be pretty funny to look down on us poking each other, when the wolves are pretty much being left alone.

I have to admit, though, that I am clueless as to why a lot of people were saying they 'wished Gurthang were here'. Maybe they were just 'lamenting the dead' or what not, but it felt weird. It's not that I don't like the compliments, but I really am not too good at picking out the wolves. I'm not sure why everyone seems to think I'm so good at this, when I usually go off on some completely wrong tangent.

Heck, the way I see it, we lynched the person I voted for everyday. I don't know if that means anything, but I do know I was only right one out of four.

Oh, and Nilp, I probably wouldn't have lynched you at all, if it weren't for Garin's Day 1 vote to save you. You should thank him for that.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:39 PM   #525
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkatoj
Garin, just in highschool, not in England--I'm from Massachusetts. It's fun!
That's actually pretty amazing...I'm from MA, too (though I won't say where just now, as my parents have raised me paranoid)...Does your school let you just use the computer? Mine will barely let us research without dire threats of death (or at least detnetion) should we stray from our path of academically-related sites.

Great game, all. I enjoyed getting back into Werewolf, and loved the new twists. I only wish I had more time to spare!

Well, I'm off to sleep (though it's not that late here, but I've been on the road since yesterday and really need to rest: The amount of typos I have made then fixed is strictly incredible.)
Old 01-28-2006, 11:54 PM   #526
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Narya

Don't know if anyone is going to read this but. I'm back! Sorry(RL, RDeath) for leaving things the way they were, I knew we could have won and that really bugged me. The more I thought about it though the more I couldn't come up with a way to get Farael to change his mind about Malka. Damn! Cailin, I had no intention of using you as my pick or voting for you those last couple days....thanks for saving my butt!(however suspicious at the time that was).

Form, it would have been a great duel death at the end! You have some talent in the narration dept. that's for sure. I really enjoyed myself!

Don't know if I should join another game or wait a bit.....

Thanks everyone. Good times by all!!
Naria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 01:18 AM   #527
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
I have to admit, though, that I am clueless as to why a lot of people were saying they 'wished Gurthang were here'. Maybe they were just 'lamenting the dead' or what not, but it felt weird. It's not that I don't like the compliments, but I really am not too good at picking out the wolves. I'm not sure why everyone seems to think I'm so good at this, when I usually go off on some completely wrong tangent.
It's not so much your ability (or lack of it, as you claim) to pick out wolves that made me wish you were still alive, but the fact that you were ever-dependable. I mean, it's not just that you were a proven innocent, but I've played with you enough to realize that you take responsibility in saving the village even if you're just an ordo and not a gifted. The last Day of Werewolf XV springs to mind...

I felt that my timezones (can someone cure me, please?) further weakened me as a Seer and a proven innocent during the Day, so I was hoping there was another proven innocent I can ask to take charge while I'm not around. You would have been perfect, but I had to go and reveal your innocence.

This might go down in BD history as a terribly embarrassing moment, but I have to admit that I was VERY close to tears when I found out that Menel was the Apprentice. Apparently I took this game, and my role, very seriously.

My angry last Seer PM, Formendacil? That was sincere.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 01-29-2006 at 01:22 AM.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:53 AM   #528
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand Correction:

Quote:
I believe I modded WW4, in which the Seer was also lynched on the first day. The game is most memorable for the abundance of tree frogs. (daga'y who be short )
Actually, Anguirel the Seer was killed NIGHT 4/5 after a post where he revealed his dreams to Saurreg, the Shirriff partner of tp.

It was Kath the perpetual Ranger (to me, at least), who was lynched on DAY 1, by an Eomer vote. He paid for it the next DAY, in a duel with tp.

And, the tree frogs were very nice. Would you allow me to borrow them when I do finally get to mod?
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:32 AM   #529
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Ah, my mistake, not even remembering my own game...

And feel free to borrow the frogs. They would much appreciate a re-emergence into society.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 08:01 AM   #530
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Yes, yes that was me. Just remember, if I'm the Ranger I die first Night! Tis easy!

Great game all those of you who lived a little longer, and what a shame about the last Day!
Old 02-03-2006, 11:34 AM   #531
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
This was a few days ago, but I couldn't post about it and just now remembered.

You know, when Lhuna declared me innocent, I was pretty ecstatic. Being proven innocent and not having to worry about defending yourself is a huge load off of your mind. I was extrememly relieved and extremely happy to be 'free' to do whatever I wanted, no matter what anyone said about me.

Then, a thought occured to me: I had felt almost the same way back in my first game, when I was the Black Beorning, and people believed me to be innocent. Yet I would almost say that the feeling of really being innocent and being proven innocent is actually better than really being guilty and being taken for innocent.

It was actually a weird feeling, since I almost think it would be the other way around. I thought it'd be sort of a 'whew! I'm not going to die toDay'(extreme relief) versus a 'finally they believe me'(mundane feeling). But, for some unexplained reason, it was reversed. Anybody else had that feeling?
Old 02-04-2006, 01:20 AM   #532
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
You know, when Lhuna declared me innocent, I was pretty ecstatic. Being proven innocent and not having to worry about defending yourself is a huge load off of your mind. I was extrememly relieved and extremely happy to be 'free' to do whatever I wanted, no matter what anyone said about me.
This is very similar to how I felt after revealing myself. I felt relieved that I didn't have to watch my words anymore; the villagers wouldn't lynch me anymore because I'm a proven innocent, and the wolves wouldn't "randomly" kill me thinking I'm the Seer.

Quote:
It was actually a weird feeling, since I almost think it would be the other way around. I thought it'd be sort of a 'whew! I'm not going to die toDay'(extreme relief) versus a 'finally they believe me'(mundane feeling). But, for some unexplained reason, it was reversed. Anybody else had that feeling?
Well, in my case, I've been resigned to the fact that I'll be dying any Night soon. I was actually getting impatient at first that the wolves haven't yet killed me (I've been telling Formendacil every Night how certain I was that I'll be dead that Night ), but as the Days went on I felt the need to stay alive so strongly that I was furious when I realized that I'll be dying next.

Hmm...Formendacil, I don't recall if you already told us, but can you still remember who was guarded every Night? Of course I realize I should have asked this earlier.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 08:04 PM   #533
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
Hmm...Formendacil, I don't recall if you already told us, but can you still remember who was guarded every Night? Of course I realize I should have asked this earlier.
Regretably, no...

All I can recall is that Alcarillo guarded you the two nights ere he died...

I was GOING to keep more notes on that sort of stuff, but such noble intentions fall by the wayside once the work of it sets in...