The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-24-2003, 04:41 PM   #1
Maluriel
Pile O'Bones

Maluriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Aragorn and Arwen

I did read this once in the Appendices, but did they have children? Because this is a small question, you can put any type of descussion here about these two.

Maluriel, Varya Quendelion
Old 07-24-2003, 08:32 PM   #2
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

I don't really know what you are asking but yes Aragorn and Arwen had children. One son named Eldarion and many unknown daughters.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 09:41 PM   #3
tinewelt
Haunting Spirit

tinewelt has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

They had a son named Eldarion. If you "re-read" the appendices, where Aragorn is saying farewell to Arwen, he says
Quote:
For if I will not go now, then I must soon go perfore. And Eldarion our son is a man full-ripe for Kingship.
They also had many other daughters.

~Namarie~
tinewelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 08:41 AM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

So nothing is said about any of these daughters I take it?
Do we know anything of Eldarion's life? Is it said who he married or who his children were?
Old 07-25-2003, 11:02 PM   #5
tinewelt
Haunting Spirit

Sting

No, unfortunately we do not know much of anything about Eldarions life or his sisters. Here is a helpful bit of information from the encyclopedia of Arda.
Quote:
The son of Aragorn II Elessar and Arwen Evenstar; almost nothing is known of his life, but that he became King of the Reunited Kingdom after the death of his father in IV 120.

For such an important character, almost nothing is known of Eldarion's life or deeds. Almost the only definite statement about him came from his father, who commented that he was 'full-ripe for kingship' in The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen (given in Appendix A I (v) to The Lord of the Rings). Aragorn's ancestors had tended to take over their duties as Chieftain at about the age of ninety: if Eldarion followed this pattern, this would place his birth in the years around IV 30.

Eldarion inherited his Kingdom in a manner that recalled the ancient traditions of Númenor: his father Aragorn Elessar gave him the tokens of his rule, and then gave up his life willingly, as his mighty ancestors had done thousands of years before. The new King's mother Arwen left him to rule alone, passing away to the now-empty land of Lórien, where her long life also came to an end. As well as being the Heir of Isildur and High King, his descent from Elrond through Arwen made Eldarion the lord of the remaining Elf-lands of Middle-earth. This fact seems to be the source of his name, which apparently means 'Descendant of the Eldar'.

What these great titles meant in practice, cannot now be known. There are references in the History of Middle-earth that make it all but certain that he left descendants to rule after him, but apart from these, no details of Eldarion's time as High King are recorded.

~Namarie~
Old 07-26-2003, 02:45 PM   #6
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I read somewhere that it was prophesied that his rule would last a hundred years. That's all I know about him.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 08:07 AM   #7
Imladrien
Pile O'Bones

Imladrien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Eldarion is mentioned briefly (just that he was the king at the time) in "The New Shadow" (Tolkien's attempt at a sequel for LotR) and the commentary about it from Christopher Tolkien, in "The Peoples of Middle Earth". Tolkien kept changing his mind about the timing, in other words how long Eldarion reigned. But, as far as I can tell there is nothing describing his character as a person.
--Imladrien
Reading Tolkien's Middle-earth
Imladrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 06:38 PM   #8
Lady Of Light
Animated Skeleton

Lady Of Light has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Lady Of Light Send a message via AIM to Lady Of Light
Sting

hmmm.... this set me to wondering.... did Tolkien even work out much of the history after the war of the ring? It seems to me that he meant his histories to be more about the golden days of middle earth, and not it's demise, so he probably wouldn't have released much about things that happened after all of the elves and Gandalf have left. This is making me sad. I'll just stop now.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:57 AM   #9
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If Tolkein had more time i believe that hw would have written more about Eldarion and his reign as king but its a fact that Tolkein did not have enough time in his life to write about these further details.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:46 AM   #10
Aredhel Idril Telcontar
Wight

Aredhel Idril Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think Tolkien was very concerned about what happened after, because of the fading of the Elves and the Dominion of Men. I think it's too sad a topic to willingly approach.

-Aredhel
Old 08-01-2003, 11:22 PM   #11
StarJewel
Wight

Location: I'm in my dear Maedhros' arms, dreaming the day away. Oh, who am I kidding, Chicago is nothing like that!
StarJewel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to StarJewel
Silmaril

It would have been interesting, though, if he did write more about the time after the elves. Maybe there would have been another dark lord-like figure to take Saurons's place, and Aragorn's decendants would have had to deal with it.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:56 AM   #12
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Where did you read that Aragorn and Arwen had daughters? I am very much aware of Eldarion, but as for their daughters, I didn't know that.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 02:42 AM   #13
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

The information about Arwen and Aragorn's daughters can be found in Appendix A, The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen:
Quote:
[After Aragorn's death, Arwen] ...said farewell to Eldarion, and to her daughters, and to all whom she had loved...
For all who are interested in their story, this section is essential reading!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 02:59 AM   #14
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Essential is right. Now, who posted in the Books without have read the Appendices eh? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 10:46 PM   #15
tinewelt
Haunting Spirit

Sting

did you just say.... eh? Whats that all aboot? lol that makes me want to sing the southpark version of "blame Canada" ok, i do not know why i posted that. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Anyway, the appedices are very vital for a question like this. But, they probably got anxious and asked the question before reading them. Understandable [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2003, 02:44 AM   #16
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks for that observation there, tinewelt.
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:21 PM   #17
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

This question, like all questions asked of Middle Earth and Lord of the Rings, was one to gain knowledge and to stimulate discussion.

The one line mentioned about the daughters of Aragorn & Arwen, and the 4th Age in general, leave it wide open for all the fan-fiction... both good, bad, & ugly.

I'm just happy J.R.R. Tolkien was able to write so much while also doing his day job as a professor!
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote