The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #281
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Who played Earendil? Because I played Elwing! It was a funny coincidence.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #282
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Kath has the victory with Arkenstone.

Wilwa has also messaged me with the winner of "Dangerous" and has chosen...

++Minas Morgul.

Citing she did not believe Sauron beats his places outright. Minas Morgul as the home of the Ringwraiths and drawing Frodo to its call fulfills dangerous. The name itself also sounding threatening translating to "Tower of Black Sorcery."

So, sally wins for dangerous.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #283
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hurrah!
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #284
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
Citing she did not believe Sauron beats his places outright.
Psh, I have yet to see proof otherwise.
Quote:
Minas Morgul as the home of the Ringwraiths
Who were created by Sauron...
Quote:
and drawing Frodo
Because he had Sauron's ring...

Bah, Minas Morgul is nothing without Sauron.

Who played Sauron? I would've picked it. (The only other possibility for me would've been Silmarils I think.)
Old 09-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #285
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Tally

the phantom - 3 (Honest, Insane, Violent)
Gwath- 3 (Neglected, Charming, Rank)
Nogrod - 2 (Extraordinary, Peaceful)
Menel - 2 (Cuddly, Ridiculous)
sally - 2 (Chewy, Dangerous)
Kitanna - 1 (Deadly)
Lhuna - 1 (Weary)
Lottie- 1 (Melodramatic)
Kath 1 (Attractive)

----

ROUND 17

G55 your choice of sensitive taters:

Bert
Barliman Butterbur
Miriel
Nienna
Beren
Beleg Strongbow
Ossiriand
Cirdan
Gwaihir Windlord
Huorns

----

ROUND 18:

Green tater: Radiant (shining, glowing, sparkling)
Judge: the phantom

Last edited by Boromir88; 09-09-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #286
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
One of them just struck a note...but I want to hear peoples' opinions, and maybe you'll be able to convince me to pick a different one. And no, I'm not telling which one resonated with me, it's more interesting this way.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #287
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Nienna is definitely the one that jumps out at me, seeing as she's known for crying, heh heh.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #288
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Who played Earendil? Because I played Elwing! It was a funny coincidence.
Great minds think alike... or are dealt similar enough cards to choose from. But yes, I did play Eärendil. It was a nice coincidence! And that was the reason I asked Boro if he'd allow a double-victory on that remarkable coincidence.... but that was not to come, I see.

Of those in play this round I'd say quite many would fit the term "sensitive" (susceptible, sympathetic, tender).

On the top of my hat I'd think the following at least merit consideration (in the order they appear on the list)...

Barliman Butterbur - Haha, always willing to know how people like him, ready to please everyone, feeling strongly about his guests and his own honour ("What would others think if they knew something happened in the Prancing Pony"), sympathtic to the bone, susceptible, especially to flattery, and a bar-tender.

Nienna - Now if there ever was a trump-card to "sensitive" you should consider Nienna. If you are the "ladý of pity and mourning" you need to be sensitive and have loads of sympathy. And being susceptible goes more or less as a job descritpion for Nienna. Maybe not as funny a choice as Butterbur, but to the point on a level of her own.

Beleg - So sensitive and tender-hearted towards Túrin it proved his own downfall. Sympathetic to the edge of that being tragic.

Gwaihir - Always so sensitive and susceptible about who can ride him and how much and what for...

Huorns - Very sensitive to the opinions and actions of others towards forests. Their tenderness and sympathy is pretty limited though and towards any "out-group" they seem to be everything but that. But a nice choice still as I tihnk it is their susceptibility and sensibility that made them join the cause when Gandalf did his "Saruman-tricks".

Others I don't think fit so well, but maybe after some thought I can come up with words on their behalf as well. But at least now I'd say the five aforementioned are the contenders.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #289
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Nienna and Miriel are probably best for "sensitive" in the typical sense, though Bert would probably count toward the "takes everything personally and complains about it" type of sensitive.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:45 AM   #290
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
Who played Sauron? I would've picked it.
I did. I count this as a win. And I found it funny that Noggie thought it was unimaginative because that was EXACTLY what I told Boro when I sent it in.

For this round, I go with Nienna. Hands down.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:50 AM   #291
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
Who played Luthien? You had to have felt very good about that.
I'm also allowed to say this was wilwa.

Perhaps payback for Minas Morgul?
Old 09-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #292
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I may or may not be here at DL, so just in case I'm choosing now. And so far nothing was said to dissuade me from votin what jumped out at me from the first glance.

++Nienna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp
Nienna is definitely the one that jumps out at me, seeing as she's known for crying, heh heh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
Nienna - Now if there ever was a trump-card to "sensitive" you should consider Nienna. If you are the "ladý of pity and mourning" you need to be sensitive and have loads of sympathy. And being susceptible goes more or less as a job descritpion for Nienna. Maybe not as funny a choice as Butterbur, but to the point on a level of her own.
That basically summs it up. Both funny and serious. And, what can I say? Nienna just looked at me.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #293
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Kitanna gets her 2nd.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #294
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Tally

Kitanna - 2 (Deadly, Sensitive)
Lhuna - 1 (Weary)
Lottie- 1 (Melodramatic)
Kath- 1 (Attractive)

----

ROUND 18

the phantom has these for "Radiant"...oh boy heh

Romenna
Varda
Nessa
Tuor
Arien
Two Trees of Valinor
Golfimbul
Phial of Galadriel
Ulmo
Ithilien

*Remember no more red taters left and will update this with Round 19 shortly. (only Round 19 and 20 left).

----

ROUND 19

Green tater: Conceited (vain, smug, self-centered)
Judge: Lottie

Last edited by Boromir88; 09-10-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #295
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
(only Round 19 and 20 left).
I must have missed this or not paid attention... so we're not going to play our hands empty?

I mean it certainly produces some of the most hilarious combinations when you only have two or three cards in your hand and need to pick one for a given green tater... not to talk of the last round.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #296
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Wow there are some good ones...

Feel free to push for underdog candidates, but I'd like to get everyone's views on these four especially-

Varda
Arien
Two Trees of Valinor
Phial of Galadriel
Old 09-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #297
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

All four are good. They are the ones I would consider too.

I suppose I like Phial best, because it's an object and I tend to like objects. Then the 2 Trees. And then Arien, since it's just too true. And fourth comes Varda.

However, Trees beat Phial in epicness.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #298
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Forgot to mention - I agree with Nog about going till the last tater in people's hands. Could we do that please?
Old 09-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #299
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

I agree with playing to the last tater.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #300
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Dittoing the 55th and the seal clubber. Let's play last tater standing.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:19 AM   #301
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

As you wish.

We may not be able to go to the very very end, since with judges not everyone will run out at the same time. But we will go as far as possible.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #302
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Varda- Made the stars. Angelic aura.
Arien- Sun. Angelic. Hot.
Two Trees of Valinor- Both sun and moon.
Phial of Galadriel- Starlight. Spelled with "ph".
Old 09-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #303
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Okay, let's toss out Varda.

Two Trees- Perhaps the "right" answer.
Phial- It would be super if Galadriel was the one that played it (along with the "ph").
Arien- Gotta love the sun-lady (especially after Real Valinor's run).
Old 09-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #304
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Also- I can't possibly choose when only one person has given an opinion to this point...
Old 09-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #305
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

For "Radiant" (shining, glowing, sparkling)

The "obvious" choices:

Two Trees of Valinor - The most obvious of the obvious choices. 'nuff said.
Arien - an excellent choice, if there weren't Telperion and Laurelin played as well, for neither Arien or Tilion carry with them the original light but a faded version of it.
Phial of Galadriel - an excellent choice (well, not perhaps so sparkling but...), if there weren't Telperion and Laurelin - and Arien - played as well, for the phial is just a reflection of a reflection of the light of the Trees - so like two times removed from the original.
Varda - The only possible competition to the Trees if you think of her as the creator of the stars themselves - but she is not the stars as she is their creator: so unlike the three others she doesnt radiate but creates things that radiate (wasn't she initially the dew-collector for the trees?). Is that better or worse than radiating yourself - that's up to you tp.

Good or decent choices but not like the first attribute I'd give them (if you want to think outside the box, then you might find a good candidate from here):

Romenna - Must be one of the most radiant cities ever built, and especially because it became the safe-haven () of the faithful later on...
Tuor - if he manages to be picked by Ulmo, to become the leader of the "House of the Swan Wing" and to be the only human counted as an elven kindred, then he has to be quite radiant.
Nessa - dashing speed and great dancer, not that far-fetched for radiant.
Ulmo - I think all of the Valar must be radiant in some way but I wouldn't think I would go using that term on Ulmo in the top-fifty choices for descriptions on him.
Ithilien - Yeah, you could say that, maybe, possibly, on some fine times. But it is in the end a forest.

Hmm...

Golfimbul - Well, if you think losing your head into a rabbit-hole is radiant, then why not...

Last edited by Nogrod; 09-10-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #306
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
Two Trees of Valinor - The most obvious of the obvious choices. 'nuff said.
Yes, I suppose it would be tough for me to justify one of the others if it's on the same grounds... Ah well...

++ Two Trees
Old 09-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #307
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Who then is radiant? Why, none other than, G55.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #308
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Everyone has at least one point now?

If it is so, great!
Old 09-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #309
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Tally

Lhuna - 1 (Weary)
Lottie- 1 (Melodramatic)
Kath- 1 (Attractive)
G55- 1 (Radiant)

----

ROUND 19

Next up is, "conceited," and Lottie with the call.

Elrond
Curufin
Gondor
Telvildo
Gerontius
The Hill of Seeing
Muster of Rohan
Mim the Dwarf
Maeglin
Taniquetil

----

ROUND 20

Green tater: Dashing (bold, gallant, elegant)
Judge: Menel
Old 09-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #310
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Maeglin, Gondor, and Curufin seem the best choices to me. I would personally go with Curufin.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #311
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Forgot to submit a card once again...

Ah well- a fully unbiased judge in session then, right.

CONCEITED

NOT TRUE

Elrond
The Hill of Seeing
Muster of Rohan

DON"T RECALL THAT IT'S TRUE

Telvildo
Gerontius

I WOULD SAY YES

Curufin
Gondor
Mim the Dwarf
Maeglin

(IMO) HECK YES

Taniquetil
Old 09-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #312
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneltarmacil View Post
Maeglin, Gondor, and Curufin seem the best choices to me.
Ditto.

And - woohoo! I won a round! Though I wouldn't have minded giving the victory to the Phial of Galadriel. That was one very nice choice indeed.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:37 AM   #313
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Of these, Maeglin strikes me as more wicked than conceited, Gondor strikes me as more underestimating Mordor than conceited, Elrond strikes me as a funny choice but not really conceited, and the rest bore me - well, excpet for one...

++Curufin
Old 09-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #314
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Ouch Lottie, why so fast?

I was hoping to persuade you to pick Gondor - for it sure wasn't "underestimating" Mordor, well, at least by the times of Denethor - but they, if some, were during centuries the self-centered ones who thought they were the only lineage worthy of the great Men of old scorning their northern brothers and thinking they only could stand against the foul forces of the East etc. They were the "shield of the West" and none else could do anything but them...

But it seems I'm late now...

Well, next time then.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #315
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Gwath takes the lead and is the first to reach 4...

but we'll continue for a few rounds yet.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #316
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Tally

Gwath- 4 (Neglected, Charming, Rank, Conceited)
Lhuna - 1 (Weary)
Lottie- 1 (Melodramatic)
Kath- 1 (Attractive)
G55- 1 (Radiant)

----

ROUND 20

Menel, for "dashing" these are your options...

Running River
Imrahil
Glorfindel
Bill Ferny
Rohan
Finrod
Eomer
The Barrow-downs
Durin the Deathless
The Petty-dwarves

----

ROUND 21

Nonsensical green Part II (and Kitanna has informed me she's unable to judge this week, so going to next in line).

Green tater: Spicy (hot, flavorable, tangy)
Judge: Gwath
Old 09-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #317
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

For my money, these are the ones that need to be debated...

BECAUSE THEY'RE TRUE
Imrahil
Glorfindel
Finrod
Eomer

BECAUSE THEY MADE ME LAUGH
Bill Ferny
The Petty-dwarves
Old 09-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #318
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Running River was quite clever, but the main ones that really fit the theme are the four phantom mentioned. And out of those I would pick

++Imrahil
Old 09-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #319
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Kath gets her 2nd.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #320
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Tally

Gwath- 4 (Neglected, Charming, Rank, Conceited)
Kath- 2 (Attractive, Dashing)
Lhuna - 1 (Weary)
Lottie- 1 (Melodramatic)
G55- 1 (Radiant)

----

ROUND 21

Let's see if Gwath can "spice" things up with these options:

Orc-draught
Utumno
Thorondor
Longbeards
Beor the Old
Bullroarer Took
Cram
Brandy Hall
Great Goblin

----

ROUND 22

Green tater: Cranky (crabby, cantankerous, grouchy)
Judge: Kath