The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2020, 08:02 AM   #10281
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
It would be née, I guess. Ah. ELENDIL = NEE + DILL.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:23 AM   #10282
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
C'est fini!

GORGOROTH: One who loves the dark side swallows double zero, two directions and a note here?
ORODRUIN: Crooked cross. Destruction. And here we are.
RULING RING: Circle that draws lines?
TINUVIEL: Charged component in great turmoil for her. (Bested by her)
HARADRIM: Two articles, two liquids, a note and a pronoun. Mix them up to reveal them.
ANNATAR: In him, a palindrome girl meets a sailor.
UDUN: See the back of the article here, mon ami.
RODNOR: He’d be a palindrome, but a note becomes a point. (His bane)

TAR-CALION: Thank you, trumpet, for perplexing him! (Deceived him)
HUAN: He really is almost human! (Bested him)
ELENDIL: Mix female-born herb for him. (His bane)

CELEBRIMBOR: Beleg returns, with noted change and edge. Denethor’s little son completes him. (Had him executed)
RINGLORD: Call, master, and see him.
ULAIRI: Den inside undisclosed igloos? Yes, initially. There they are!
EYE: This time, a glaring palindrome!
LUGBURZ: Here’s a well-directed start. A Shakespearean snag is mirrored. And HMNB Devonport is sprinkled around.

And over to Galadriel!
Old 10-03-2020, 11:32 AM   #10283
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Yay! I loved that password. Especially the Huan and Eye clues. ^.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
Which clue were you referring to with the compass point - is it in another recent password?
No, just the Rodnor one.

Here's a short one:

1. Christian prayer by pagan priest - unnoted and confused at last.
2. Outlaw's band - no, not that kind.
3. In Spanish meadowlands it gets so disoriented, it goes in two directions and is still broken.
4. No frost does stir the second here.
5. "What? Rhubarb?" said the Gaffer, "I wouldn't know if it grows there, but let me tell you, the best vegetables grow on the east side."
Old 10-03-2020, 11:51 AM   #10284
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
4. FORNOST. (And your weather report is probably right, too!)
Old 10-03-2020, 02:45 PM   #10285
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Correct!

3. In Spanish meadowlands it gets so disoriented, it goes in two directions and is still broken.
4. FORNOST: No frost does stir the second here.
5. "What? Rhubarb?" said the Gaffer, "I wouldn't know if it grows there, but let me tell you, the best vegetables grow on the east side."
Old 10-05-2020, 03:01 AM   #10286
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
#5: I'm wondering if the Gaffer is a little deaf, and the unknown speaker (let's assume Khamul) actually said RHUDAUR or RHUNAER.

Not sure there's evidence of taters in the Trollshaws or Neldoreth - oh, I'm sorry, 'the unnamed forest east of the Sea of Rhun' - but I suppose they could grow there.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:10 AM   #10287
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

5. RHUDAUR: "What? Rhubarb?" said the Gaffer, "I wouldn't know if it grows there, but let me tell you, the best vegetables grow on the east side."

Rhudaur is correct! No idea what vegetables they grew there, but it's "on the east side", so to speak. Poor deaf Gaffer.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:21 AM   #10288
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Password: Arnor?

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:35 AM   #10289
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Password: Arnor?
Beat me to it (by ten minutes).

Which suggests ANNUMINAS for #1, containing 'Amen' for the Christian prayer (minus the note E), and... some anagram of 'nuinas' for the priest.

hS
Old 10-05-2020, 07:31 AM   #10290
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

1. A: Christian prayer by pagan priest - unnoted and confused at last.
2. R: Outlaw's band - no, not that kind.
3. N: In Spanish meadowlands it gets so disoriented, it goes in two directions and is still broken.
5. RHUDAUR: "What? Rhubarb?" said the Gaffer, "I wouldn't know if it grows there, but let me tell you, the best vegetables grow on the east side."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Which suggests ANNUMINAS for #1, containing 'Amen' for the Christian prayer (minus the note E), and... some anagram of 'nuinas' for the priest.
"Eh? No neeps here. But the best vegetables grow on the east side!"

Not Annuminas. (And before that sentence above gets misinterpreted, it's not meant as a clue). For an actual clue, you need to find a different Christian prayer.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:41 AM   #10291
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

How about AVE + DRUI(D) = ARVEDUI Last-King?

hS
Old 10-05-2020, 10:18 AM   #10292
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
How about AVE + DRUI(D) = ARVEDUI Last-King?

hS
Indeed so!

1. ARVEDUI: Christian prayer by pagan priest - unnoted and confused at last.
3. N: In Spanish meadowlands it gets so disoriented, it goes in two directions and is still broken.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:00 AM   #10293
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

If #2 is purely a straight clue, it could be RUFFIANS or RANGERS. (At one point I considered Thorin's Company, an actual band, but not with the R.)

For #3, 'meadow' in Spanish is apparently either 'prado' or 'pradera'... but also the rain in Spain is noted for falling mainly on the plains.

hS
Old 10-06-2020, 06:06 AM   #10294
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
If #2 is purely a straight clue, it could be RUFFIANS or RANGERS. (At one point I considered Thorin's Company, an actual band, but not with the R.)
These are all one kind of band. And none are what you are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
For #3, 'meadow' in Spanish is apparently either 'prado' or 'pradera'... but also the rain in Spain is noted for falling mainly on the plains.

hS
The rain does tend to fall on the plain in Spain, indeed.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:42 AM   #10295
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
These are all one kind of band. And none are what you are looking for.
Is this a reference to the RUBBER band famously used by Bill Ferny to trap the hobbits in their room in the Pony?

hS
Old 10-06-2020, 07:22 AM   #10296
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Is this a reference to the RUBBER band famously used by Bill Ferny to trap the hobbits in their room in the Pony?

No. A different sort of material altogether. But you are on the right track with rubber, sort of.

The bands of both kinds are specific.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:56 AM   #10297
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

#3: just spotted 'is still broken', so RAIN + S(outh) + L(eft) = NARSIL?

#2: I have to check... it's not ROCK, right?

hS
Old 10-07-2020, 06:11 AM   #10298
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

3. NARSIL: In Spanish meadowlands it gets so disoriented, it goes in two directions and is still broken.

Quote:
#2: I have to check... it's not ROCK, right?
Oh, you are gonna kick yourself so much.

Can you think of an outlaw who had more than one kind of band? Forget the Arnor theme for this one, it might be easier to start broad. Once you have the right outlaw and band, you will see how it connects back. But think outside of Arnor for now.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:13 AM   #10299
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Oh, you are gonna kick yourself so much.

Can you think of an outlaw who had more than one kind of band? Forget the Arnor theme for this one, it might be easier to start broad. Once you have the right outlaw and band, you will see how it connects back. But think outside of Arnor for now.

... it's RING OF BARAHIR, isn't it?

In my defence, I haven't had to draw the ring yet...!

hS
Old 10-07-2020, 06:20 AM   #10300
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I had a band, loyal and keen...

I barely started cryptifying the clue when the play on band struck me, and it was too good to pass up.

2. RING OF BARAHIR: Outlaw's band - no, not that kind.
3. NARSIL: In Spanish meadowlands it gets so disoriented, it goes in two directions and is still broken.

And I believe it's over to Urwen!
Old 10-07-2020, 07:12 AM   #10301
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

This one is for Huey, who solved most of the clues

1. A rodent scurries backwards, joining A noteless baby cow and a charged atom for him.
2. A pronoun, a state of mind and a vowel reveal him.
3. One of the titular characters. Take the second.
4. The limping evil dude. Take the second.
5. He is lupine with a vowel switch. Take the fourth.

Last edited by Urwen; 10-07-2020 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:30 AM   #10302
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

It's for me? Well, here is me.

#1: I cheerfully wrote this down as "Tar-Alfion" before recognising that there's multiple notes in 'calf'. TAR-CALION, right?

#4: ... actually, does Tolkien have more than one limping character? I don't think Brandir counts as evil, unless you're a fanatical Turin partisan.

BRANDIR?

hS
Old 10-07-2020, 07:36 AM   #10303
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

No to Brandir.

Old 10-07-2020, 07:38 AM   #10304
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Sador Labadal was another limping dude, but also not evil. HOWEVER, didn't MORGOTH limp as well, after Fingolfin poked him in the foot?
Old 10-07-2020, 07:39 AM   #10305
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

TAR-CALION: A rodent scurries backwards, joining A noteless baby cow and a charged atom for him.
4. The limping evil dude. Take the second.
5. He is lupine with a vowel switch. Take the fourth.

3 and 4 fit the theme in a different way.

Old 10-07-2020, 07:40 AM   #10306
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
Sador Labadal was another limping dude, but also not evil. HOWEVER, didn't MORGOTH limp as well, after Fingolfin poked him in the foot?

Oh, your second guess has the right evil dude, but is not quite correct.

Old 10-07-2020, 07:45 AM   #10307
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Melkor, then?

And Wulf for the lupine dude.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:49 AM   #10308
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

TAR-CALION: A rodent scurries backwards, joining A noteless baby cow and a charged atom for him.
MELKOR: The limping evil dude. Take the second.
WULF: He is lupine with a vowel switch. Take the fourth.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:00 AM   #10309
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Ah! If the titular character is BILBO, then the password can be THIEF.

hS
Old 10-07-2020, 08:08 AM   #10310
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

H: A pronoun, a state of mind and a vowel reveal him.
BILBO: One of the titular characters. Take the second.

Now the old king's dead, long live the Queen!

Old 10-07-2020, 10:41 AM   #10311
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

One to go!

Given the limited number of names that start with a H-pronoun, I would go with HERUCALMO, though I admit I did not remember him and looked up what he did. He withheld the sceptre from his son, so I suppose that counts as stealing.

Because of the vowel at the end I was actually thinking more along the lines of Rohirric names at first, and came to Herefara - who actually fits the cryptic parts quite well but not the theme.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:40 AM   #10312
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
Because of the vowel at the end I was actually thinking more along the lines of Rohirric names at first, and came to Herefara - who actually fits the cryptic parts quite well but not the theme.
How does refar/efar = state of mind?

Old 10-07-2020, 11:45 AM   #10313
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

HERUCALMO: A pronoun, a state of mind and a vowel reveal him.
BILBO: One of the titular characters. Take the second.

I made a mistake with the clue. I should have said 'two vowels' rather than 'a vowel'.

I also wanted to put in Castamir, but couldn't fit a letter anywhere. The important ones were included, though, so you win some, you lose some. Bilbo and Phary provided the crux of the theme.

Over to Huey.

Old 10-07-2020, 12:44 PM   #10314
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
How does refar/efar = state of mind?
It's an anagram of "fear".

Anyways, I liked that password! It's a cool theme!
Old 10-07-2020, 01:01 PM   #10315
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
#4: ... actually, does Tolkien have more than one limping character? I don't think Brandir counts as evil, unless you're a fanatical Turin partisan.

BRANDIR?

hS

By the way, if I am anyone's fanatical partisan, it'd be Morleg's. *points to signature*

Old 10-08-2020, 03:40 AM   #10316
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
By the way, if I am anyone's fanatical partisan, it'd be Morleg's. *points to signature*
I am fully confident you can fanatically partisate any number of people.

That was fun! I did spend a little while looking for where Castamir could lie once Pharazon and Wulf had shown up. I also repeatedly came back to Herugrim, Theoden's sword, which fits the cryptic parts of #2 perfectly.

This one is... well.

1. - The conqueror fights within? Say it shorter, flighty one.
2. - "Article," quoth the pirate; I am a pattern named for the sun.
3. - Spell the water the old way - with a kick!
4. - Spell it out: N, L, the (archaic), and marry her third.
5. - Go back to noodles with a different filling - sounds like a police siren?!
6. - The east is red - or a vowel vehicle in back.
7. - The first is the least. The pirate agrees, so turn it on its head.
8. - An elephant loses the beginning of its confused happiness, but gains the end of Margreet Zelle - behold the queen!
9. - Rings around the lower back.
10. - Seven set power around.
11. - A chemical in a swamp? Send the shephard away to find the lamenter.
12. - T. rex bangs it, the first gnomes start to end - this comes first.

(I just wrote this but I've already forgotten what the password is, so hope you're all on form! )

hS

Last edited by Huinesoron; 10-08-2020 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Added 'confused' to clue 8.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:24 AM   #10317
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

I think I know who 8 is...

Old 10-08-2020, 04:30 AM   #10318
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

8 is either Telperien or Zimraphel/Miriel, but based on the clues, I am leaning towards the former...

Old 10-08-2020, 04:32 AM   #10319
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
8 is either Telperien or Zimraphel/Miriel, but based on the clues, I am leaning towards the former...
It is neither. I do know more than two queens in Arda, y'know.

EDIT: I've stuck an extra word into the middle of that clue for clarity.

hS
Old 10-08-2020, 04:32 AM   #10320
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

And 10 is Rings of Power. Specifically, Dwarven Rings.