The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2002, 05:16 PM   #1
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Favourite Chapter?

Just wondering everybody's fave chapter? Has to be a tossup between The Ride of the Rohirrim and The Battle of Pellanor Fields for me. The charge of Theoden King... goodness that's good, but the Aragorn's return! Spoiled for choice!
Old 03-12-2002, 05:32 PM   #2
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Sting

The Bridge of Khazad Dum was my favorite chapter in Fellowship, i even liked it more than Lothlorien. Moria absolutely fascinated me because it is so vast and once-prosperous, and all the expansive dwarven cities underground ...the terrible majesty of the dwarven halls and the elaborate labyrinths and great pillars...it struck a chord of sadness in my heart because it was once so thriving and then fell to ruin and evil. But the tragedy of the loss of Durin's kingdom and the dominion of evil in Moria could not completely destroy the grandeur and beauty that had once endured. I was fascinated because Moria was so beautiful, tragic, and terrible and mysterious. I think the scariest movie parts were what happened in Moria. THe fact that it's scary only feeds my fascination Tolkien is an awesome writing, and his description of the Moria scenes amaze me.

My other fave chapters so far are Flotsam and Jestam, and The Palantir. (both in Two Towers)...i also love Lothlorien and The Mirror of Galadriel. ..ahhh...it's hard to pick a favorite!
Right now i am on THe Battle of the Pelennor Fields in ROTK. Can't wait to get through the rest of this book!!! I'll be reading like mad...

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 05:39 PM   #3
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Can't decide between the Lothlorien chapters. Even though none of the most exciting things happen in the chapters they are the most beautifully described chapters. There is so much beautiful imagery in the chapters and there is such a sense of sadness and melancholy in them. The Scouring of the Shire and the Grey Havens come in a close sentance, Sometimes I am even brought to tears when reading the Grey Havens; Gandalf says I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil, and I get all misty eyed. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ March 12, 2002: Message edited by: Thingol ]
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 05:45 PM   #4
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like "Riddles in the Dark" in The Hobbit.
Old 03-12-2002, 06:08 PM   #5
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

I would have to agree with Jessica Jade (curious name , by the way, My daughters names are Jessica and Jaden), The Ring Goes South and A Journey in the Dark are my favorite chapters. That is where you see the most conversation between the Fellowship, where their personalities are revealed. And the action in Moria is great.
Old 03-12-2002, 10:38 PM   #6
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Flotsam and Jetsam" and "The Field of Cormallen." What can I say, I like the reunion scenes [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] (especially when Gimli gets so bent out of shape about the fact that Merry and Pippin have been SMOKING - as if that were the crowning injustice of everything they've witnessed).
Old 03-12-2002, 11:40 PM   #7
Glenethor
Wight

Glenethor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Siege of Gondor..where everything looks lost...The Witchking entering into Minas Tirith....Gandalf and Shadowfax barring the way...

and then horns! horns! horns! Rohan had come at last!

Helm's Deep too...

Shadow of the Past...

Mount Doom;

Shelob's Lair...

So many...

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Glenethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 11:45 PM   #8
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit" and "The Window of the West" are two my favorites. Faramir is one of my favorite characters and I enjoyed his and Frodo's meeting.

Heck, actually, The whole of Book IV is about my best-loved part of the trilogy.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 04:40 AM   #9
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

I love "The Houses of Healing", in RotK - there is so much good dialogue in there, with some beautifully humorous lines! There are good developments of the characters, Aragorn's claim to the throne is established by his healing ability, and the name of his house, Telcontar, is established! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 02:03 PM   #10
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Sting

Quote:
(curious name , by the way, My daughters names are Jessica and Jaden),
Jessica Jade is, in fact, my real name...my first and middle name that is! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I loved Riddles in the Dark too...definitly the best chapter in The Hobbit. Very clever riddles too. Also Shadow of the Past is one i read over and over again. The Window on the West was really really cool, with the sleek, swirling, silver pools. I can just picture it...it seems so beautiful! I liked Shelob's Lair as well... i am dying to get through two more chapters of ROTK so that i can find out what happens to frodo and sam at the tower of Cirith Ungol! Ahhh...oh yea, and at the end of Seige of GOndor, although it's not one of my favorite chapters, i LOVE the part when the horns are blowing wildly and Rohan had come at last...it's one of the grandest and happiest and most majestic moments of the story. I can feel the relief and elation of the characters when i read that section. There are soooo many good parts to the books...soo hard to pick just a few fave chapters...and i'm not even done with the whole thing yet! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 11:59 PM   #11
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

"The Choices of Master Samwise" - I love this chapter because it is very emotional, I almost cried (like a baby). It is great to see Sam take on the burden in order to continue the quest & then gain the strength to go after the orcs that take Frodo without even thinking of what could happen to himself. It just shows his great courage!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 01:03 AM   #12
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tigerlily, I agree with you. I cried my eyes out in that chapter. Sam's compassion shows so strongly in that chapter. When I got to the part where he was taking the ring from Frodo, I was crying because I actually thought that Frodo was dead too. I couldn't even finish the book. I had to run get RotK and look to see if Frodo was anywhere in it.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 01:51 AM   #13
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took
Haunting Spirit

Bramblerose Gamgee-Took has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My favourite was the The Scouring of the Shire, becasue all the hobbits got rid of those nasty men. Especially Sharky, grr, I despise Saruman [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]. Also The Choices of Master Samwise, because it is so sad, especially how Sam wouldnt leave Frodo [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] *sniff*
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 07:57 PM   #14
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Boots

"Many Meetings," because of all the beauty of Rivendell (especially Arwen) within it.

All of the three Lothlorien chapters, because, well...You know!

"The Departure Of Boromir," because I always had a soft spot for the poor chap, and the style evokes much emotion.

"Helm's Deep," for all of it's excitement, as well as the competition between Legolas and Gimli.

"The Tower Of Cirith Ungol," I was cheering for Sam throughout.

"Many Partings," for its beauty and subtelty.

And last, but not least, "The Grey Havens," a great ending to a great book, simple and touching. Bittersweet, really, like all endings are, or should be.

There, I was asked for one chapter, and I've given...9. Overall, it terms of the ones that I will probably re-read the most, it would have to be the Lothlorien chapters, and "Many Partings."
Old 03-15-2002, 01:45 PM   #15
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Fave chapter hmmm.

I think that would have to be the chapeter where the conspiriosy is unmasked, it is so funny, I wish they had shown that in the movie, I can just picture Frodo's face.

I also liked all the chapters where people were reunited.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #16
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe Favourite Chapter?

Favourite Chapter... That is tough. I like Lush's approach.

I'll pull one or two out of each book:

The Fellowship of the Ring ~ Book I
- At the Sign of The Prancing Pony

The Fellowship of the Ring ~ Book II
- The Council of Elrond

The Two Towers ~ Book III
- The Departure of Boromir

The Two Towers ~ Book IV
- The Window On the West

Return of the King ~ Book V
- The Passing of the Grey Company
- The Battle of the Pelennor Fields

Return of the King ~ Book VI
- The Steward and the King
- Many Partings
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #17
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Sting

A tie among seeveral:
For background and getting you hooked:
1) The Shadow of the Past
2) The Council of Elrond

For making me realize Tolkien's elves weren't those
irritating lephrechauns or Keebler Elfs
3) A Flight to the Ford
Since I realized that since hobbits are half the size of men
and Glorfindel's horse's stirrups had to be shortened for
Frodo to ride...elves must be more or less human size.

4) As a kind of "chapter" all of the appendices

but especially
5)
Quote:
At that sound the bent shape of the king sprang suddenly erect.
Tall and proud he seemed again; and rising in his stirrups he cried in a loud
voice, more clear than any there had ever heard a mortal man achieve before:
Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!
spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,
a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

With that he seized a great horn from Guthlaf his banner-bearer, and he blew
such a blast upon it that it burst asunder. And straighaway all the horns in the
host were lifted up in music.....
Theoden could not be overtaken. Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his
fathers ran like new fire in his veins, and he was borne up on Snowmane like
a god of old, even as Orome the Great in the battle of the Valar when the
world was young. His golden shield was uncovered, and lo! it shone like an image of the Sun, and the grass flamed into green about the white feet of his steed. For
morning came, mor4ning and a wind from the sea; and darkness was removed,
and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them, and they fled, and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City.

Last edited by Tuor in Gondolin; 09-22-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Tuor in Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:25 AM   #18
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Hmm there are a few:

All of Fellowship of the Ring EXCEPT The Ring Goes South. I feel Tolkien could have easily shortened it, because even though it gave the Fellowship a reason to go through Moria, it was too much wasted paper.

From the Two Towers I liked the last three chapters best; for me it was a kind of climax where everything was very suspenseful.

I didn't like Return of the King much, sadly. Very frankly it kind of bored me till I reached the last couple of chapters.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:20 AM   #19
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
My personal favourite is The Shadow of the Past. I was interested to see that I'm not a lone voice in the wilderness on that one, as I thought I might be! I had always thought to myself that it doesn't seem like a chapter in which a great deal of action occurs, but it has always been my favourite because of the feeling of Gandalf and Frodo sitting by the fire at Bag End and just talking. The events leading up to the present setting which Gandalf relates to him are fascinating and stirring, possibly even more so because it is a history lesson, harking back to things which have already happened, rather than witnessing them at first hand. And the chapter, unless I am mistaken (I don't have my book handy as I am away from home this weekend) contains that moment of enormity when Gandalf removes all doubt that the ring Bilbo found is the master ring. My favourite moment in the entire book is when Frodo states that he cannot read the fiery letters, and the trinket takes on a whole new dimension.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #20
Charmed I'm Sure
Newly Deceased

Charmed I'm Sure has just left Hobbiton.
Shadow of the Past came to mind immediately. As others have said it's not full of action, just Gandalf and Frodo sitting and talking that makes for an exciting chapter. That's probably my overall favorite as it sets the stage beautifully.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:29 AM   #21
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I love absolutely every part of LotR, except for, maybe the Gollum parts in the 2 towers. Those are a bit tedious. But they are still good, just not as good as the rest.
I don't have favorite chapters, just favorite episodes. Some of those are when the Nazguls try to catch Frodo on Bruinen, the bringe of Moria scene, parts of The Riders of Rohan and of Flotsa and Jetsam, when Frodo just meets Faramir, how Aragorn healed Faramir Eowyn and Merry, when Eowyn killed the Nazgul, and when Frodo claied the ring at Mt. Doom\
Oh Wow!
Old 10-22-2010, 12:02 AM   #22
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed I'm Sure View Post
Shadow of the Past came to mind immediately. As others have said it's not full of action, just Gandalf and Frodo sitting and talking that makes for an exciting chapter. That's probably my overall favorite as it sets the stage beautifully.
Hello Charmed I'm Sure! Welcome to the Downs! Shadow of the past was indeed rather interesting. For me, it was one of the most informative chapters with almost all the answers (except Council of Elrond).
Old 10-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #23
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
It is possible that in pondering this question, I am going to wander a little from the topic. I've been following it off and on, because I like knowing what people think, but haven't replied because, well... how can one have a "favourite" chapter? Besides, what constitutes a chapter? Can I say Appendix A ii "Of Arnor and the Heirs of Isildur?"

Silliness and possible snobbery aside, part of the problem for me is that the chapters are a bit too diverse for me to compartmentalise together as chapters in my mind. It's a weird problem--don't get me wrong: apparently, I can keep all the chapters from Book V distinct as chapters (maybe because they switch back and forth between characters) and I have strong leanings in that direction--either for "Siege of Gondor" or "The Pyre of Denethor." Then there's "Shadow of the Past" and "The Council of Elrond" which seem almost like intra-narrative appendices. And then there are whole chapters whose names I recognise on sight, but can't for the life of me dredge up, like the penultimate Book III chapter or those denouement chapters from "Field of Cormallen," "The Steward and the King" and whatever comes before "The Scouring of the Shire"--which is itself a contender.

In other words--if I understand myself--I tend to think of The Lord of the Rings as a unity, or at least as episodic, rather than in terms of chapters. In some cases they overlap, in some cases they don't. That, and I tend not to be a title-recollecting person, it seems.

So... it's really hard to pick. However, I *think* I can narrow it down to a Top 5 (with the caveat that I reserve the right to change it... at any time...). So, in order from first to fifth:

"The Scouring of the Shire"
"The Pyre of Denethor"
"A Conspiracy Unmasked"
"A Knife in the Dark"
"The Steward and the King"

Except... except... I now feel guilty for having only Book I and Book VI chapters--I love the rest of the books too!

I have a problem...
Old 10-27-2010, 05:21 AM   #24
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
Hmm there are a few:

All of Fellowship of the Ring EXCEPT The Ring Goes South. I feel Tolkien could have easily shortened it, because even though it gave the Fellowship a reason to go through Moria, it was too much wasted paper.
I don't think Tolkien has any extra chapters, even any extra paragraphs. Everything has its significance in the books, even the slowest and most boring parts.

Last edited by Legolas; 12-29-2011 at 11:39 PM. Reason: fixed broken code :)
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:23 AM   #25
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
Hello Charmed I'm Sure! Welcome to the Downs! Shadow of the past was indeed rather interesting. For me, it was one of the most informative chapters with almost all the answers (except Council of Elrond).

Shadow of the Past is probably the ost important chapter of the book - the reason for the Fellowship to form.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #26
Almesiva Moonshadow
Animated Skeleton

Almesiva Moonshadow has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Okay, here are my favourites:

Fellowship of the Ring: Many Meetings and Shadow of the Past
The Two Towers: The Uruk-Hai
Return of the King: The Steward and the King

Last edited by Almesiva Moonshadow; 12-12-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Almesiva Moonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:03 PM   #27
Arendil15
Pile O'Bones

Arendil15 has just left Hobbiton.
My personal top favorite out of all the boooks would be "The Steward and the King", mainly because of how beautiful the scene is in my head when Faramir is talking to Eowyn, telling her that he really does love her. I think that, although PJ did a very good job with that scene, it really could have been a little bit better.
"Then he kissed her hand, and sprang into the saddle, and rode away, and did not look back; and only thosewho knew him well and were near to him saw the pain that he bore." ~The Passing of the Grey Company- The Return of the King
Arendil15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #28
Marlowe221
Pile O'Bones

Marlowe221 has just left Hobbiton.
For me it's Chapters 1-4 of Fellowship. I love the Shire (as I am sure many do) and the opening chapters that begin the epic tale all while giving us a glimpse of what it would be like to live in the Shire and to be a Hobbit.

I love the trip from Hobbiton to Crickhollow, the mysterious encounters with the Black Riders, the conversations with Gildor and Farmer Maggot, and so on.

These chapters are beautiful yet ominous - they show us an idyllic and bucolic society and yet there is an undercurrent of tension that starts with Bilbo's difficulty in giving up the ring and the shadow that seems to fall over the Shire as the years pass though most of the inhabitants do not seem to realize it.

Every time I read those chapters I cannot help but wish that they were longer or that there were more of them. For me, something more than the Shire itself is lost to the reader when the four hobbits pass through a misty field and into the Old Forest.
Marlowe221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #29
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

Bom Tombadillo has just left Hobbiton.
Definitely "The Scouring of the Shire" as a great moment for the entire Hobbit race.