The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
noble
Newly Deceased

noble has just left Hobbiton.
Book Storyline Sequence

Hey all, so im new to this whole tolkien series and have finished reading the histories of middle earth vol 1-5, i was wondering about if theres a storyline sequence that anyone of you could list it down to direct me to. Like which book do i go to for example after LOTR? CoH? Unfinished Tales? Basically just the sequence to the whole tolkien series thats related to Middle Earth. Thanks!
noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
The Silmarillion is the one that gives the gives the whole storyline. I'm answering what I think you meant here, but I'm not quite sure of that.

Btw, you posted this thread twice.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:12 PM   #3
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Welcome, noble! If you haven't already read The Hobbit, I would recommend starting there. Then LOTR, The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, then if you're keen the HOME series. Letters of JRR Tolkien is also a good one.

Of course, having said that, it is only my opinion, and there is no real accepted "storyline sequence". Just have fun reading 'em.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I am amazed that someone has started with HoME!!!

But for the "novels" , if you want a true sequence it is hard to be exact but I would say that the basic sequence is Silmarillion Hobbit Lord of the Rings but the Children of Hurin is the fuller version of a story in the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales has parts that relate to each so you might want to read that in parts - it has chapters that add to the stories of Tuor and Turin, then a lot more of Numenor that should be read with the Alkallabeth in the Silmarillion. The remainder should be read after LOTR (though the quest of Erebor chapter relates to the Hobbit it is the from the point of view of looking back after the events of the Lord of the Rings).

The letters are a delight and add extra insights but I think you will get more out of them after you have read all the main works. . However since you have read LOTR you may also want to read the History of LOTR volumes of HoME.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #5
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I would say it's like Mithalwen said. If you wish to read in the "proper course", I would suggest Silmarillion, and Unfinished Tales only after you have read the rest (Hob+LotR+Silm). Children of Húrin is merely another way of reading the story which takes one chapter in the Silmarillion (but very nice, I would say). Perhaps you might try stop at Silmarillion after chapter 20 and instead of the short version of the story, read Children of Húrin and then return back and continue in the tale of Silmarillion What else... well, the Hobbit may seem a little childish to you after HoME - speaking for myself, it does not bother me, but I know there are people who don't like Hobbit because they consider it too child-ish. But I would try it at least.
In any case, it's nice that you may continue "chronologically" in the tale of Middle-Earth Many people don't read it like that.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
One day I would like too... but I can't see it happening for a while.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
the basic sequence is Silmarillion Hobbit Lord of the Rings
Yes, I agree with Mith here, who summed up my opinion pretty nicely in her post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Perhaps you might try stop at Silmarillion after chapter 20 and instead of the short version of the story, read Children of Húrin and then return back and continue in the tale of Silmarillion
My little brother did it that way when he first read the Silmarillion (ah to be young enough to actually have a chance!), and found it good.

Now, I'm not sure if you have read Lotr already? Anyway, I would suggest starting from the Silmarillion and then reading the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit is different from the other books, but it is lovely anyway - at least in my opinion. It is nice to read something a bit lighter yet still very good for a change, after spending countless hours on HoME.

I haven't read yet further than the Lost Road so I don't really know what I am talking about, but I don't think you should read the rest of HoME before finishing Lotr and the Silmarillion - after all, they give the official versions of the stories.

Also, if you liked HoME, you might find the History of the Hobbit by John Rateliff interesting.

The poetry collection Adventures of Tom Bombadil is also M-E related, and it is pretty sweet. Maybe you should have read at least Lotr before reading it, but I don't think information given in any other book is required in understanding what it is about.

Welcome to the Downs, and good luck with your reading project!
Old 07-26-2008, 01:34 AM   #8
noble
Newly Deceased

noble has just left Hobbiton.
to be frank, i was kinda confused after reading home. and yup, i read the hobbits quite some time ago and it was nice. i have CoH but havent touched it yet haha. thanks for the guide guys!
noble is offline   Reply With Quote