The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2003, 09:32 PM   #81
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I'm not sure when I read The Hobbit, but I think I was around 10. A few months after that I read that (?), I read LOTR a couple of times. Then I found out that there was a movie coming out and got confused with Arwen and Eowyn, so I read the books again to clear up that confusion. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] After I watched the movie, my love for the books was renewed and I have read them around five times over the course of the last two years. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 01:15 PM   #82
Genevieve
Animated Skeleton

Genevieve has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

My friends had read the books before the movies, and were always telling me to read them. When Fotr came out, I read The Hobbit, got exited, and read Fotr and TTT. I haven't read Rotk yet, but am planning on it as soon as I have time and energy.
I have never failed to feel
Pain.
Genevieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 12:08 PM   #83
The Elusive Spirit
Haunting Spirit

The Elusive Spirit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I only started to read FOTR after the movie came out. Be fore the movie my brother started to read it and my friend said it was really good. I had read the first and second book by the time the movie came out on DVD. Now I'm hooked.
The fresh and boundless wood,
And torrents dashed, and rivlets played,
And fountains spouted in the shade.
-Bryant
The Elusive Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 02:25 PM   #84
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

My dad started reading a chapter of The Hobbit to me every night for a bedtime story when I was about five, and after we finished that he read LotR.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:32 PM   #85
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hirilaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My father brought us back a copy of The Hobbit from a business trip when I was about five, and mum read it out loud to us. Over the years, it's been read countless times, and is now falling apart. It's still my favorite book!

***HIRILAELIN***
Hirilaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 04:07 PM   #86
Novberaid
Animated Skeleton

Novberaid has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

RE: MY FIRST TIME

I read The Lord of the Rings in 1979. Each time I read it I pass it on to someone else. Then I can buy a new copy for myself and read it again.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:21 PM   #87
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Hmmmm... I read The Hobbit when I was in the sixth grade, about 5 years ago, and I loved it so my parents bought me The Lord of the Rings boxed set. I started FotR, but never got passed the first chapter. I was a sad, sick child.

After the movie came out, I picked it up again and read through it pretty quickly. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I read TTT and RotK right aftZ
Amarantha_Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 05:38 PM   #88
Kaiserin
Wight

Kaiserin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I read the Hobbit when I was in sixth grade too! ... that was fifteen years ago.
The year before that, I got ahold of the LOTR trilogy.
Anyway, it's great to know I'm not the only non-teenager here. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2003, 06:02 PM   #89
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Thumbs up

Well, let's see... ok, when i first read the lotr series i was about 11... i had to because for a english project we had to pick a book on fantasy, and my group chose the two towers,then keep a journal on what we thought about the author and book. Of, course i had only read the hobbit, so i only had three weeks to read the first book! thank god my friend had read the series 3 times at least... i have to say thought that i though that the books were excellent and i was surprised at how well they were written. I myself having been only eleven,and didn't understand most of what was going on entil later, but i thought it was a masterpeice... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

To produce a mighty book, you must choose a mighty theme. No great and enduring volume can ever be written on the flea, though many have there been that have tried it. - Herman Melville, MobyDick
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 05:14 PM   #90
lossenlithiel

Sting

I read it when I just turned 11. I'm 15 now, and have read them all about 15 times since
Old 08-27-2003, 12:57 PM   #91
Gloruviel

Sting

i read it when the first movie came out (i had to read it b4 i could c the movie).
Old 08-27-2003, 01:13 PM   #92
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I love these threads because I read my first Tolkien book when I was FOUR! *waits for stares* I´m special! Hahaha! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

It was the Father Christmas Letters- I totally loved that book when I was small...next was Roverandom, when I was six. I read The Hobbit when I was eight or nine, but I thought it was boring *shame on me*
I forgot Tolkien and all untill the first movie came out...I read LotR in about two days that Christmas. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2003, 05:19 AM   #93
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I have been trying to read The Hobbit since february, but have failed miserably... Its just not as interesting and has less elves... though Elrond seems happier...

I read LOTR two years ago and became a fan right away and have ben trying to convert my friends...

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 11:28 AM   #94
Idunn
Pile O'Bones

Idunn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

At first I read The Hobbit - so exactly according to the events sequence. My younger brother prompted me to do that - in fact, that was the first book which he had read before me! That was about three years ago.
Old 08-30-2003, 02:28 AM   #95
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

But the first book i read was "Edward the Emu" and "Possum Magic" and i still read them today... over and over again, but i have to say LOTR isnt my fave completely. It is Alice in Wonderland. I may not be an exact expert on everything tolkien, but what i do know is everything about Alice.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 11:05 AM   #96
Elwen_starmaiden
Animated Skeleton

Elwen_starmaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elwen_starmaiden
Silmaril

I had read the Hobbit first and I tried to read Fellowship but it was "too hard." I was young and naive, that was in 5th grade, 4 years ago, and at that time I was into Harry Potter [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] I still like HP but LOTR is just so much more interesting. I finally tried again after I saw the movie and then searched and found the Silmarillion and had read it over the summer. Can't wait until ROTK!