The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2002, 04:17 PM   #1
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
1420! Why consort with the dead?

Celebrating Christmas and my one-year anniversary as a member of the Barrow-Downs has been very taxing on my liver, as you can imagine. I have, however, decided to pull myself together for now to post my top-ten reasons for haunting this eerie, yet friendly corner of cyberspace for a whole year now.

10. German influence-I have yet to see a Tolkien forum where at least two of the moderators are fluent in Deutsch, and can appreciate Lederhosen jokes...I think.

9. Avatars-I am convinced that there is much psychological symbolism associated with the picture you choose to display next to your name, and delight in coming up with hypotheses as to why each member made a particular choice. Beware the pictorial psychoanalysis!

8. Message icons-You can choose an icon to delineate your mood or topic, or adopt a favorite to go along with all of your posts. Legolas afficionados tend to go for the arrow, as I have noted.

7. Signatures-Serving almost the same purpose as the avatar, they tell more about you than you may ever know...

6. The T-Shirt Contest-I'm including it here because I won (but all credit still goes to Estelyn Telcontar).

5. Diversity-It's always a pleasure to visit a country and know that fellow B-D members occupy it. When I go to London, I will fully expect Squatter of Amon Rudh to buy me a drink, for example. That, and the fact that some people get my obscure Russian literature references from day to day.

4. Tweediness and depth of knowledge-Some member of this forum are so profoundly erudite, they would make the master (a.k.a. Herr Tolkien) proud. It's always nice to be so thoroughly humbled by the superior reserves of knowledge on an internet forum. I feel smarter just for breathing the same grave-dust as Kalessin, for example.

3. Strict rules of conduct-The new demands placed on old and arriving members have streamlined discussion. Though displeasing to some, I have to tell you, I like to be restrained.

2. The head honcho-I was treated to lunch by Estelyn this summer and as I munched it down, I remembered that the only reason Esty and I were able to get to know each other was because some mysterious dude with a penchant for ghoulish green and a wealth of patience decided to make a hobby of a darkly entertaining Tolkien site. I have not forgotten that fact, and am rightfully using this opportunity to kiss up.

1. Wit-May of you kids and geezers (as well as folk in between) have been blessed with a sense of humour drier than a top-notch martini. My keyboard has come this close to imminent destruction as the result of various beverages overtuned during fits of laughter. Keep it up, and I'll be sending you the bill. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

That's it for my anniversary. If you have been here a while, and have a few reasons of your own, please share.

[ December 25, 2002: Message edited by: Lush ]

Old 12-25-2002, 10:09 PM   #2
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I agree with everything you have stated, Lush. I am nearing my one-year in a month or so, I believe.
I have stayed because of those members who I riddle with, quiz with, discuss Tolkien with, have mayhem with... and just because it makes me feel at home. I can't share my love of Tolkien in everyday life like I can here. It makes me very happy to come here at nights and read and post with everyone, though I find myself with lack of sleep very often. I love having such an obsession, and it's nice to know that I am not alone.
The internet is truly an amazing thing. I can talk to people I have never met in person, but if I do meet them I feel as though I have known them forever!
I raise a glass to you (if that is wise [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ), Lush, and to everyone here. Thanks for a great year and, hopefully, many more to come [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ December 25, 2002: Message edited by: Tigerlily Gamgee ]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 04:45 PM   #3
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I haven't been here for a year yet, 2 more mounths! Let me see, I don't totally agree with every thing...

10. German influence-I don't know German so I can't really say

9. Avatars-Hmmm, What does it tell you when someone doesn't have one? Ha! Gotcha! I find them annoying sometimes because they take up space, but they are pretty to look at. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

8. Message icons-ya, O.K.

7. Signatures-What about when you don't have a signature? Ha! Gotcha again! No phycoanlizing of Arwen Imladris! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

6. The T-Shirt Contest-I didn't win, but I supose that it is O.K. for those who did win...

5. Diversity-Yes, I agree totally with this one.
4. Tweediness and depth of knowledge-I totally agree with this one as well.

3. Strict rules of conduct-It is not so much that I like to be restrained as I like others to be restrained, but yes, the rules are good.

2. The head honcho-O.K.

1. Wit-Yup

O.K. I am done analizing this! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-26-2002, 06:07 PM   #4
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

You don't mind me commenting on each as well, do you?

10. German influence-I'm part German. I speak none though...although: I'm Russian, German, Swedish, Polish, Austrian, French, Syrian, and Dutch (that's all we know of, but we know there are more), so: lots of ethnicity in my background.

9. Avatars-hmmm...what does mine say about me? *points* Time to change it, anyway...

8. Message icons- Go Silmaril icon! It's the one that I use...*points*

7. Signatures-Yes...signatures are fun. I get my quote of the month!

6. The T-Shirt Contest-I didn't have time to enter, but I checked it out!

5. Diversity-Si, I agree...I'm one of the only ones here from New York.

4. Tweediness and depth of knowledge - makes me feel really stupid and inarticulate, but yes, I like it.

3. Strict rules of conduct-Oui: these were very beneficial...not as much sorting out between the "Like, OMIGOD! Legolas!" posts versus the others...

2. The head honcho- all the moderators have been really, really accomodating to me (no matter what you bitter people who left "because of the ops" say: they do their best, and we should appreciate them for that!)

1. Wit - sadly, not blessed with that much...cynicism, yes, wit, no...
Old 12-26-2002, 08:10 PM   #5
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
1420!

Happy Anniversary, Lush!

Old 12-26-2002, 08:57 PM   #6
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

*throws objects at VanimaEdhel*

You know, I normally just ignore signatures, but when you point them out well...

*throws more objects at VanimaEdhel*

Sorry, I'm done throwing things now. Still friends?
Old 12-27-2002, 01:17 AM   #7
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

Happy anniversary Lush. Your posts are always great to read. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I don't know how long I've been coming here. I know it is close to two years, though. So I want to add a number to your list.

11. Admiration - It may sound dumb, but I aspire to be like some people on this board. Mainly the people working the on the Revised Silmarillion. I know I'm not there yet, but I want to contribute to the project some day when I am fluent with all of Tolkien's work. And the best part is, I know that I will get the oppurtunity since there is so much to do. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Und ich kann deutsch sehr schlecht sprechen.
Old 12-27-2002, 01:53 AM   #8
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

Congrats, Lush [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 05:18 PM   #9
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Of course, Arwen Imladris!

*hugs her*

I didn't say "congratulations" did I, Lush? Now I feel like a little shrew over here. Well, happy belated anniversary!
Old 12-28-2002, 07:10 AM   #10
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Hee lsuh good point there with number 8. Altough I think you got it all wrong. I mean what sign's do you get from me that I am a Legolas fan?(just kidding)
________
California Dispensary

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 02:36 AM.
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 07:16 PM   #11
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Yaaa! Thank you VanimaEdhel! You know what, I think that I for got to congratulate Lush too! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Happy Anniversary, Lush! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2002, 08:44 PM   #12
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

Thank you, my darlings. May your quivers never be empty. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2003, 10:25 AM   #13
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

10. German influence-I don't know much German but I love languages, and being aquainted with so many peope world-wide is mind-boggling!

9. Avatars-Yep, they do say a lot!

8. Message icons-Gosh, I always forget those...

7. Signatures- That's for sure!

6. The T-Shirt Contest-I've never entered it....

5. Diversity-Yes, I agree totally with this one.

4. Tweediness and depth of knowledge-I totally agree with this one as well.

3. Strict rules of conduct- Sadly, the new rules are absolutely necessary. The last thing we need is for the Barrow Downs to be over-run with teenage Legolas lovers. (For the record, I do like Legoas, and I am a teenager.)

2. The head honcho- 2 thumbs up. (more if I had more)

1. Wit- [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] that's for sure!

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 10:40 AM   #14
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
hmmm...what does mine say about me? *points* Time to change it, anyway...
I couldn't tell if you changed your avatar, I can never seem to see it.

In answer to the general question which is the title of this thread I say what I usually say to such questions: Why not?
Old 01-02-2003, 10:56 AM   #15
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Pipe

Haven't the time to share ALL of my reasons...maybe I will in my anniversary, which in about 4 weeks. But on a short note, I love this place because I learn a lot from the intellectual people around here (though I admit to being like some of them [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] )
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 08:02 AM   #16
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Happy very belated anniversary, Lush old stick. Congratulations.

Well, my own first anniversary is now upon us (my, how time flies). I'd like to thank all the people that made this possible... ect, ect, mone drone. *

Why come here? What the Lush said, and a few more:

Camaraderie: there does seem to be a lot of esprit de corps here at the jolly old downs, notwithstanding a few disputes best forgotten. Some members (no names, no pack drill) won't suffer fools gladly, but it's not difficult to evade their wrath: just don't be stupid.

Daft titles: Personal titles aside, anyone who posts long enough can expect to receive tags like "Animated Skeleton" and "Shade of Carn Dûm". Many sites have such titles, as many use the same software, but these have a certain comically ghoulish ring to them that I haven't seen elsewhere. As for the personal titles, well we're back to account semiotics there.

The cosmopolitan flavour of this forum is one that I particularly like, as nothing promotes more international understanding than this sort of community, spanning as it does so many countries and backgrounds. It has been said that he who has not learned another language knows nothing of his own, and this is just as true of society: Until we converse with people from other countries we have no benchmark by which to measure our own. Long may this mausoleum of mythology remain open to the world's dead.

* Spelling intentional. Read Down With Skool by Geoffrey Willans as soon as you can.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:19 AM   #17
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Congratulations, Lush. Judging by your immensely good-looking corpse, you clearly followed a certain maxim admirably. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2003, 09:49 AM   #18
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Hmmmm.... another interesting thread from Lush. You have a talent for starting good threads, Lush, whereas I seem to apply the generous kiss of death to potentially interesting thread topics. That's one reason I post less often than I did... Sometimes I wonder if my browser inserts an End-Of-Thread character.

I'm not at my anniversary quite yet, but then, it won't be long. So... Why do I keep coming back to the Downs?

Being a reclusive sort, but one who yet requires a Few Good Friends, I cherish several relationships built here.

I love that theology keeps popping up in the doggondest places.

The perennial search for the perfect Lembas recipe... okay, it's less than profound, but it's accounted for about ten logons over the past week.

Courtesy, wit, and thoughtfulness often found all in one delightful post.

Hot eyeliner, and the way my dog looks at me when I'm still chuckling (or giggling) minutes later.

Sailing ships (O Captain, my Captain!... hey, no dying-- get up. )

Concentration camps.

Shapechangers and the way they make me sing.

Hobbits. Especially the Seventh Age one.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:28 AM   #19
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Happy anniversary Lush! *bows*
I regret I haven´t posted earlier, but at least I do now. (Better late than never is what they say, right?)
Anyway, I want to say that you have always amused and entertained me Lush, in your own special way...*smiles* You have also made me wiser, both in Tolkienology and writing skill. (An excellent person to learn better English from, although I should not learn all the words and expressions you use.. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img])
.......I could go on forever, but I won´t, as I hope this is enough for everyone (especially you) to understand that, in the end of the day, you are my favourite on the board. (Mummy, I want to be like Lush when I grow up!) *smiles warmly*
Well, that was about it I guess...I hope I haven´t done you embarrassed, or anyone else. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
May there be many more anniversarys for you Lush! *deep bow*

Eärendil

[ January 07, 2003: Message edited by: Eärendil ]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 10:57 AM   #20
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I don´t know if I should post this in this thread or not, but anyway, here it goes:
Happy anniversary Alkanoonion! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:13 PM   #21
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Ah, Lush and Helen, you have both touched my heart with your wit and insight. Indeed, there will be so many of us with one-year anniversaries in the next few months that we will probably flood the place with our testimonials! Here are my own thoughts, a mere two months ahead of time.

Like you, Helen, I am soft on sailing ships and imprisoned hobbits and shapechangers whose presence is sorely missed. Also younger sons of Edain heritage who have black hair and grey eyes, and a hobbit named Cami Goodchild who turns up in the strangest stories.

Thanks to a Books Forum which has often challenged me to refine or defend my own ideas, and given me a clearer image of many of Tolkien's characters, especially those from the Silm and HoMe, books that were a blank slate to me before stumbling in here.

I am grateful for a site that has given me the chance to write again for the first time in a looooooong while. Not the critical writing, which has always been a regular part of my personal and professional life, but rather the tales of dragons and hobbits and Elves.

More recently, I am grateful for my magic staff in the Shire which has brought me into contact with many good folk who love Tolkien and who are trying to craft well written stories.

Yes, Lush, I agree that the head honcho deserves many, many kudos for his faith in starting a place like this, and then having the gumption to adapt yet maintain high standards as the winds of change and PJ blew briskly over the Downs.

Also, to those faithful mods and admins who put in much hard work.

Diversity - I love it, whether geography, age, or even theology.

And a gracious nod to my partner at the Green Dragon Inn who has put in endless hours to make things easier for the folks posting there, and who can certainly never be accused of acting in a predictable or boring way!

And I will even admit a weakness for a scamp named Gamba who, as we speak, is wandering about the forests of Greenwood (or was that Mirkwood?), probably getting into trouble.

[ January 07, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-07-2003, 08:34 PM   #22
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Ah yes it is my Birthday/deathday thanks for thinking of me. I will put my ten reasons for staying.
1) All the gorgeous corpses who inhabit the downs.
2) The comradely and friendship the downs offers a little corpse from Oz
3) The Patience and understanding of the Admin and Mods (thank you Mr B and Team).
4) The RPG (and the help of Child and Pio who have helped me grow as a writer)
5) The Banter between the older members and the new
6) The Continuous improvements of the site thanks to the great effort of the Downs Mods and Admin.
7) The Freedom of speech and the interaction with people of like mind
8) The chance to learn and improve my Spellingg [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] which can be poor at times (as Child and Pio can attest from the RPG games we have shared)
9) The Sil forum and the chance to help in a truly great endeavour.
10) A rest from reality of a sometimes hard and tiring world

[ January 07, 2003: Message edited by: Alkanoonion ]

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: Alkanoonion ]
Old 01-07-2003, 10:14 PM   #23
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

Congratulations, Lush dearie, and happy birthday Alkanoonion! Two wonderful people... and of course, what would the downs be without you? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Love you all!

Ithaeliel, the one with the unicorn avatar that really needs to be changed
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 06:08 PM   #24
Lush
Fair and Cold

Sting

On a cold winter's day you guys warm me like a warm mug of glühwein never could (though it tries very hard).
Eärendil, if I am your favourite, your taste must run to the odd and the wild! Thank you, dear. Alk, congrats, my man. Helen, your friendship means more to me than you know (even more than eyeliner). Rimbaud, I'm just following the Jimmy Dean formula: leave fast, die young, leave a good-looking corpse, you get the gist. Squatter, you know my secrets, [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] , what you don't know is that the real reason why I stay is you (do I make a good ex-fiancé or what?).
For all of those whose anniversaries are coming up: you have a new excuse to throw a party, and I have a new excuse to drink that extra shot (to your health, of course). Congratulations. I am glad you stuck around. You make Tolkien proud.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:25 PM   #25
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

1420!

Being the generous fun loving type that I am I have opened my wallet to help lush and all the other gorgeous members in the Downs celebrate our anniversaries on joining the Downs.

and for after the celebration
Old 01-12-2003, 11:45 PM   #26
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Belated congratulations, Lush m’dear, and to you too, Squatter! Happy Downsiversary! I’ve tremendously enjoyed reading your posts, and both of you are special to me because I’ve had the opportunity to meet you personally. Each of you has a unique brand of humor that makes your contributions so much fun to read. Congratulations to you too, Alkanoonion - you put so much effort into supporting the Downs, and I appreciate that!

I saved my greetings for this date for a Purpose: First of all, to tell you that I am immensely fond of you all and that one year is too short a time to be dead among such excellent and admirable ghosts! Secondly, to celebrate my deathday – today is my first Barrow-Downs anniversary! Thirdly, to contribute my reasons for consorting with the dead. Since I like to put first things first, I will begin with the most important one:

1. The Books forum – The first thing I fell in love with on the Downs, a wonderful place where I finally found people who enjoyed talking about my favorite book! This forum has informed, entertained and challenged me, enriching my life. May this fascination last a long time!

2. The Movies forum – Granted, I have mixed feelings about this forum, with its tendencies toward actor swooning and the repetition of ever the same topics, but it is the one on which I made my very first post and started my very first thread. I shall ever be grateful to the movie hype for making this site known so that I could find it.

3. The chat room – It took me awhile to get up enough courage to try it out, since that was something new to me! And it took some time to get used to that unique style of communication and to learn to use IRC. Then I enjoyed the personal contacts, the real-time talks with great people, and the Tolkien discussions (before it became almost impossible to carry on discussions on the #barrowdowns chat). I still enjoy chatting, though most of it happens in private rooms…

4. The Barrow-Downs forum – I enjoy getting not only information (tantalizing glimpses of the way things used to be in the old threads!) but also the personal touch of many threads on this forum, threads such as this one and my favorite, “The Tolkien Coming of Age Club”. I like that community feeling!

5. RPGs – I was not particularly interested in them for a long time, since I had never tried RPing. Then I let myself get talked into picking up a deserted character on the Rohan RPG, and the bug bit me! Now I’m enjoying it thoroughly, even having started a game of my own.

6. The humor – I have smiled, chuckled and laughed out loud so often when reading so many wonderful posts here!

7. More books – Reading discussions about the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales and the History of Middle-Earth, as well as the Letters and minor works, made me eager to read all of Tolkien’s works. I have most of them now, though I lack the time to read them, what with being here so much!

8. Moderating – I consider it a great privilege to be able to help make the Barrow-Downs an enjoyable place to be. Sometimes it’s a chore, yet often a pleasure, because I find gems on threads I probably wouldn’t have read otherwise. It also gives me an overall view of what’s happening on the forum and makes me aware of the people who are posting.

9. Other site features – There’s not always time, but I do enjoy occasionally looking into the fan fiction section or reading Malbeth’s prophecies, just to name a couple of them…

10. The people – It takes all kinds to make a world; among the various kinds that populate the Downs, I’ve found many congenial spirits (ghouls, spectres etc.). It has been my great pleasure to get to know you all! I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like…

And this is not the END – I hope it is only the beginning of much more!

(Sorry, this speech turned out longer than Bilbo's...)

*leaves with a blinding flash of light*

[ January 13, 2003: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 06:17 AM   #27
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Sting

First of all Estelyn Telcontar let me just say and to show my appreciation of all your hard work may you never tire of our bad spelling, poor grammar and endless I love .. Topics

Heres to many more years shared with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:36 AM   #28
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh, gosh, the movie forum does not have a lot of actors swooning, compared to many other forums on the internet. This is the best Tolkien forum in the world! it is the best by far (Am I gushing too much [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] because I really like this forum) I have only been posting for about a month (but I have been going on the Barrow Downs website for about 8 months), and I have totally gotten into it (though some of those book discussions are so in depth, amazing [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ) the moderators are amazing, you keep the discussions going very smoothly, I love the variety of people. From younger people to everyone. All with one common thread, a great love and respect for the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2003, 11:04 AM   #29
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

And so the day for my first deathday has come! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
One year has gone since I joined the forum (although I have been visiting both the site and the forum for a longer time than that), and never have I regret it. I have had so much joy, laughed myself insane (more than I already am), trained and improved my English skills and writing skills in general, gone up a level in Tolkienology (how can I not, with so many wise people around me?), found more friends..... I could go on forever, there is so much to say!
I will not list all my reasons for consorting with the dead (as someone already said: why not?), as I hardly ever do, but I can name a few of them, there are so many.

# The site itself - So many different things this site has to offer! A name generator, prophecies, fan-fictions, contests, fantastics articles....you name it.
#The forum - All the different sections that has so much to offer: Deep discussions on Tolkien´s books and the languages, light and amusing games, exciting and fantastic role-plays, interesting reading of a new Silmarillion (hard to explain that one..) etc etc.
#The members - I have made a few good friends here, that is always nice, and I really like you all, but it´s more than that. All the crazy, funny, insightful, informative (etc) posts that are made by you all..it´s wonderful. You all make my life richer.
#The small things that DO matter - Personal Titles (interesting, at least for me), signatures, icons, avatars and so on and so forth.

If I had more time I could name at least 10 more things, but I won´t. I am sure most of them are named already. I agree with all that has been said before, and probably everything that is going to be said...*deep bow*

LONG LIVE THE BARROW-DOWNS!
Old 01-14-2003, 11:32 AM   #30
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Also..happy anniversary Estelyn! Happy deathday! Hurray! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2003, 10:23 AM   #31
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Quote:
Oh, gosh, the movie forum does not have a lot of actors swooning, compared to many other forums on the internet.
You can tell though that, since The Two Towers, there has been a bit of a swell in droolers in general, especially in the Chat.

Actually: the chat room is the reason that I first came here. I was looking for a good Tolkien chat and so I logged onto this one. Thenamir and zifnab were the two talking when I came on (it was a very quiet day) and they were so nice that I just had to come back. After about two months of chatting, I finally bit the bullet and joined the Forum (I vowed that I would only join one, and that was the one I was going to be loyal too - hence the waiting before I joined). And I have been here ever since!
Old 01-15-2003, 05:42 PM   #32
Lush
Fair and Cold

1420!

My most profound congratulations to Eärendil, long may you post!
Old 10-01-2017, 06:05 AM   #33
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
It's amazing the treasures one finds digging around in old Barrows! Trying to remember if I saw this thread back in the day some near 15 years ago, but can't say I have. Anyway, I may as well add on to the end of this thread, not that it is my anniversary here or anything. Can't really say when my anniversary is really, as I remember the old EZ Board. I'll accept whatever date I have here. Anyway, as an intermittent participant, with a grand total of 500 some posts in 15+ years, and in no particular order other than what I thought of first, Here Goes:

1. Barrow Downs ~ Non-movie theme. To my recollection, there was no mention of The Barrow Downs in the PJ fanfics. This place managed to avoid the attention of the hordes of movie actor fandomers as it took a bit more Tolkien searching to find.

2. Good Book Discussions. Usually good, articulate talks on topics, and even when disagreements came along, they were handled civilly by all parties.

3. Great T-Shirt and Coffee Mug design. Still have my T-shirt, but lost the coffee mugs to a shattering and a divorce.

4. Made some Friends. Yes, I'm talking about you Lush, and you Bethberry, and you Tigerlily, and a few others. I've had some issues with fecebook, the scourge that has caused the death of so many message boards, so probably haven't talked to you as much as I'd like.

5. The relatively laid back atmosphere. I mean, really. We're all dead.

6. The Translations From The Elvish forum. No, I haven't contributed to it, but I have been a regular reader of the threads.

7. Some of the RP Stories. Enjoyed reading some of the RPs as some of the writers are very good! Having 4 forums dedicated to the art of RP here had me thinking this place would be a luxurious haven for writing RP. I did try RPng here, but with the R&Rs, I found my creativity stifled by what to me was seemingly overbearing micromanagement of stories and posts, and requests for edits from others. It became more work than play for me. So I went elsewhere to write, and came here to read.

8. Board Appearance. I find the scheme here easy on the eyes and the text easy to read. Not overly gimmicky, and has some of the coolest post icons! I tend to use the pipe or the beer mug the most with the Tolkien symbol and the White Tree sometimes.

That's about all I can come up with right now. Thanks for all the years of enjoyment!

Last edited by Snowdog; 10-01-2017 at 06:08 AM.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:34 AM   #34
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog View Post
It's amazing the treasures one finds digging around in old Barrows! Trying to remember if I saw this thread back in the day some near 15 years ago, but can't say I have. Anyway, I may as well add on to the end of this thread, not that it is my anniversary here or anything. Can't really say when my anniversary is really, as I remember the old EZ Board. I'll accept whatever date I have here.
I don't remember ever seeing this thread before, but it started during my multi-year hiatus from this place, so that's not surprising.
The EZ Board days ended not long before that,because I recall being excited to lose the associated ads.

There were a lot of Tolkien fora on EZ Board, and I don't think the Downs was the first one I found. It stood out, though. And by the time the BW announced the intention to move to our own, independent software, I'd all but forgotten the other sites.

I guess what's mainly kept me here after so many years is just the people, and the quality of the discussions. Even when things get heated (Bombadil, anyone? Wingéd Balrogs? ), there's a certain restraint that endures. No YouTube-comment-type ugliness and name-calling. I largely credit Tolkien for that, for his works just don't seem to call to that type of Orcish personality.

But of course, the Chief Wight made it clear from the start that this forum was only about Tolkien. There are many RL topics (even more so today!) that always seem to invite acrimonious dissensions, no matter the venue. My view was that I could get that anywhere, if I wanted, and knowing that there was an escape from that I could always count on, means a great deal.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:00 AM   #35
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
From a relatively fresh corpse

My reason is simple. When the Great Blackout happened a couple years back, the main reason I missed the Downs was that the blackout took out a significant chunk of my social life away.

Also, it becomes a habit (and thanks to the Downs I frequently misspell that as habbit), and habbits are hard to get rid of once they settle in their habbit-holes. I am a lot better at this correspondence than I am at any other.