The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2003, 11:50 AM   #161
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Ring

I'm sorry for beeing sooooooo late;CONGRATS Maikadilwen and Cuthalion!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

(check my message icon...hehe)

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2003, 07:49 AM   #162
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm going to have the pleasure of finally meeting Miss Sophia the Thunder Mistress in just a couple of weeks. I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

We are still looking for some ME activities that are relatively inexpensive...if anyone has any ideas, we would love to hear them.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:50 PM   #163
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Many many many Congrats!!! It's just *wipes tear* so romantic!!! And hey! My name's Maika too!

ME activities? If you're of age, hit the local irish pub for a good mug of hobbit spirits. Or you could go to any cute tea shop around 4:00. Hmm...I don't know...

Does anyone live in the south-eastern US...? I'm going to Texas next year for the fourth...and am in D.C. now...but my traveling hours are very limited. So! Back to the south-east... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

-Maikafanawen
Old 07-09-2003, 10:49 PM   #164
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Cuthalion
Sting

Where in the south-east Maikafanawen?
Cuthalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 10:01 AM   #165
Måns
Haunting Spirit

Måns has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Any other people living in the capital of the world, Stockholm? Though, I must say I cannot like the overall way the city is planned. Too large and cold squares, not cosy enough.... I like Karlbergsvägens upper part... especially the little wall at the northeast part of Vikingagatan/Karlbergsvägen crossing, shutting in the little garden and that beautiful house. For all that are worried about my safety, please don't be, firstly I don't even live there, though, I would if I could afford an apartment there... Secondly I am the King of Rissne, and if your messign with me, your messing with Rissne. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Måns

Josef Stalin
Måns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 03:01 PM   #166
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I met three fellow BD members over the weekend- alaklondewen, Sophia the Thunder Mistress, and Phrim.

All three of them were polite and intelligent and provided excellent company.

I expected alak and Sophia to be there, but I had no idea that we would be meeting Phrim. He was in town for some sort of LOTR gaming convention. We were afforded the opportunity to meet with him near the convention center, and I'm glad we did. Downtown Indianapolis is a very pleasant setting, made more so this past weekend by the abundance of cloak-wearing Tolkien fans. I wouldn't mind going back to Indy next summer.

We spent most of our time together eating. The biggest advantage to this was that I had to still my wagging tongue and flapping jaw occasionally to take a bite. Those few precious moments of silence were very much welcomed by my companions. I hope they didn't mind my endless stream of chatter too much, but I couldn't really help it. I'm a talker, especially when I'm in a good mood (and I was in a good mood the whole weekend).

Well, I would say more good things about the weekend, but I have to hit the road out of Indy now. I'd like to finish by saying that meeting alak, Sophia, and Phrim face to face confirmed that all true Tolkien fans are a cut above normal people.

And I really enjoyed myself! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2003, 05:30 PM   #167
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Silmaril

Hmmm...all this time and "in person" I've met only one of the 'Downers. A few have been so kind as to join my own LOTR message board, and it's nice to see them over there, too. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 07:20 PM   #168
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

phantom, I do hope you got a few photos of your meeting with the others between your chattering. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] It would be wonderful to see pictures of that joyous occasion! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Perhaps Alk would put them up on his photo page.
Peace
Old 07-27-2003, 09:25 PM   #169
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

That would be fun. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
The one thing we lamented about when Miss Rae and I met was that neither of us brought a camera.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 07-28-2003, 01:56 PM   #170
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
phantom, I do hope you got a few photos of your meeting with the others between your chattering
I didn't take any pictures, but the other people did.

I'm sure some of the pics will be posted (but I'm not sure if I'll allow any pictures with me in it to be posted, it ruins the whole phantom thing). [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2003, 07:19 PM   #171
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Cuthalion
Sting

Heh...sounds like my Maika, Phantom...I managed to get ONE pic of her!
Cuthalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 08:09 PM   #172
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Time for my report on the weekend's adventures.

I arrived off the bus in Indy tired and faintly nervous. Having paid an ungodly amount for my six hour bus ride, I was more than a little apprehensive about what the weekend would hold. Alaklondewen was there to meet me at the station and she brought along her lovely daughter. We got along splendidly right from the start (as I had always expected, but you know how nervous one gets right before the big moment [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) It was wonderful, because it felt as though I've known her in person for months.

That evening we met up with the Phantom (about whom I am afraid to give *too* much away, lest I should shatter his mysterious aura) for dinner. That was great, it's so rare that I get a chance to have heated Tolkien discussion using my voice and not my keyboard! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

That evening Alak and I sat and chatted back and forth for a few hours while her daughter slept. It was a wonderful day, even with the six hour bus ride!

The next day we met up with the phantom early (early being a relative term, as we were all late!) and went to meet Phrim at the Convention Center. Since he hadn't eaten we went over to a food court at a mall and had some more discussion about Tolkien and the downs, it was lots of fun. Then we split up and Phrim went back to his gaming, while Alak and I went back to pick up her little girl. When we got back to the city it was nearly suppertime, so the five went out to Fridays and stuffed ourselves. It was very nice and companionable.

That night Alak and I chattered like people who have been friends for years (and of course, we will be!). Despite the fact that Alak doesn't have the best sense of direction ever (we got lost how many times?! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]) it was a very satisfying day.

Sunday we slept late and then Alak and I just spent the morning and early afternoon together just being lazy and relaxing. Then we put me back on the bus and suddenly I'm back in the real world again (drat [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]).

But I'll have pictures soon, and *gasp* phantom, I think Phrim's are already posted somewhere [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img].

Something to do again. Maybe a lot of times.

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 01:32 PM   #173
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

*sound of gavel pounding on table*

The Second Annual Cologne (that’s a city, not a perfume!) Barrow-Downs Meeting will now begin.

Anyone who is interested in the minutes of the first meeting need only go back to the beginning of this thread, where they are duly recorded.

Notes for this meeting:

Members present – Lush and Estelyn
Begin – 11:00 am, Wednesday, July 30, 2003
Location – Kölner Dom in Köln (Cologne), Germany

Agenda –
1. Welcome toast, drinks provided by Estelyn
2. Traditional opening of umbrellas, since the annual accompanying rain arrived punctually.
3. Walk to a bookstore, looking for German (and English!) Tolkien books. Purchase optional.
4. Walk to a café for further drinks, provided by Lush. Opportunity for conversation, information, gossip…
5. Photo session at the Kölner Dom (Cathedral) – photos will be released as soon as possible.
6. Further leisurely walking, combined with shopping (decorative cosmetics – wouldn’t the guys out there have enjoyed coming along for that?! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )
7. Meeting adjourns sometime before 3:30 pm.
A good time was had by all.
Time and location of next year’s meeting to be determined later.

*gavel out*

PS - Here is a picture of the 2003 meeting!

[ August 19, 2003: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 01:48 PM   #174
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

Maikafanawen,
Myself,
Nuranar,
DaughterofVana,
Bulelainwen,
Eressie Ailin,
BethoHOG,
and One axe to rule them all,
we all live in Texas. I'm not sure about the rest of them, but I would surely love to meet you per chance you actualy do stumble into the coolest state out there!
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 03:32 PM   #175
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

From my understanding, my fellow-collector Alatáriël hails from Texas, too. Hm. That's one state I've never been to. *Tries to think up good excuse to go...*
Old 07-31-2003, 06:51 PM   #176
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

Quote:
That's one state I've never been to. *Tries to think up good excuse to go...*
How about the whole previous list? *batts her eylashes to reveal her sad puppy eyes* But don't feel preasured or anything [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] . I think we should have a Texan Barrow-Downers convention. That sounds like fun! Any other thoughts on that?
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 10:58 PM   #177
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Samwise, you met Greycloak as well as myself.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:02 PM   #178
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Question

Greycloak, Miss Rae? You mean your hubby?
In that case I guess I can count three little Elflings as well. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2003, 10:44 AM   #179
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

That's the one; the tall man with the elven name. The elflings, however, have never been on the Downs. Well, my son used to post with me on the riddle thread.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:13 PM   #180
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Ah, I thought so. Awfully dark for an Elf, isn't he? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2003, 01:16 PM   #181
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

There's nothing elven about him! He's as plain as can be. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2003, 03:58 PM   #182
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Plain? I wouldn't say that. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2003, 04:04 PM   #183
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Ok, now I want to see!

Rae, photo up, now! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2003, 05:45 PM   #184
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

This may prove to be a wild goose chase, but did any of you go to the Young Life camp called Lake Champion in New York State last week? If so, you may have met me!

Oh, and I passed through Richmond VA, home of the B-W, on the way there! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2003, 06:30 PM   #185
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Well now, I mentioned the photo request to Greycloak and he said "Let it die!"

I'll have to see if Alkanoonian is game to post a 3rd picture of me. He has been gracious thus far. I never did mention to my brother I had his pic posted. I'm sure I'd be in the dog house if he knew. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2003, 12:51 PM   #186
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

For the first time in the history of the Barrow-Downs, the founder of this site met one of the administrators, as well as a moderator and a respected (though not necessarily respectable! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) member, who is incidentally a BD chat room operator, face-to-face. The Barrow-Wight, Sharkû, The Squatter of Amon Rûdh and I got together in the historic city of Trier, Germany. We met under the arch of the old Roman city gate and explored buildings and ruins, some of which date back to the Roman Empire. The building that impressed me most was the Basilika, a huge palace hall built in the early 4th century. Exploring the tunnels and passageways of the old Roman baths was fun, especially since the record heat wave made everything that was underground, in the shade, look more enjoyable to do. Then we found a cool (literally!) Historic Cellar restaurant two levels below the street and settled down under its massive arches for food, drink and talk. Later on we discovered a church that had a vaguely familiar-sounding name – St. Gangolf!

So much for the tourist aspect – we had no problems finding lots to talk about all day, mostly Tolkien and the Downs, of course. If some of us *occasionally* happened to mention something that would make a good post for the Entish Bow RPG, we can’t be blamed, can we? It’s so much more fun to converse directly rather than by typing!

Some personal impressions of the others – though one shouldn’t be hasty about describing complex personalities, I will make an attempt. Hoom, hom!

The Barrow-Wight was a great host, having brought gifts for us lowlier wights (who live far from the merchandising paradises of the USofA) – thanks for the lovely bookmark, BW! He also had a German TTT poster that we signed; it will decorate his home barrow. He looks like his pictures, wiry and active, and is full of ideas, always looking to new horizons. Add a great sense of humor to that, and you get an enjoyable mixture!

Sharkû is living proof that still waters run deep – he doesn’t speak unless he has something to say. Fortunately, that’s often enough to make him a very interesting person to talk and listen to! He’s thoughtful, knowledgeable and humorous – well, exactly like we know him from his posts on the forum!

Squatter looks the very epitome of Englishness (great hat!) and is a wonderful conversationalist, always ready to share a joke or some bit of the information that he keeps stored in his astonishing mind. He is very well-read, widely interested and has a great way with words.

I hope the three of them will add their impressions to give you a more complete picture and a different point of view! I can only say that it was a joy and a privilege to meet them!

[ August 19, 2003: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 08-19-2003, 12:58 PM   #187
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

(For those interested, I have added a picture link to my above report of the Cologne meeting of Lush and myself.)
Old 08-19-2003, 01:38 PM   #188
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Sting

does anybody here live on a very boring island where everyday is the same(and a shortage of lotr fans)?Oh wait I forgot its called Bahrain so if anyone is as unluck as me to end up there. PM me.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:14 PM   #189
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Esty, seems you've been really busy, lately. I am so envious!
I've just spent a week dancing on cliffs and climbing castle ruins. Just me and my camera.

Hmm, Köln isn't really that far down, so maybe I could make it there someday. The Danish-German border is only about 300 km from where I live, so it could make a nice trip.

And I'll be in the US again after Christmas and sometime later next year, so we'll see who gets caught in the dangerzone. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ August 19, 2003: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]
Old 08-19-2003, 02:37 PM   #190
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Esty- sounds like you guys all had a great time! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I had the pleasure of meeting Gwindor last Wednesday. It was a bit of an experiment, as we met outside a train station, having only seen fairly old pictures of each other. Luckily we did find the right people, and set off for Wrigley Field.

May I just point out that taking the L train in Chicago is harder than it looks, especially when the card-pass thing only lets one person through, and then *I* have to jump over the revolving gate to get through. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

We met a few real-life friends of mine outside the Field and after Gwin downed many free samples of Vitamin Water, we went inside and found our seats. The Chicago Cubs proceeded to win (YAY!) and then we went to a little cafe in the city and had fruit smoothies.

It was overall a pretty neat experience, and I'll put up a link to a picture as soon as I have one. Gwin's a great guy, definitely worth my three hour train ride. Maybe we'll do it again next summer! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 03:25 PM   #191
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Gosh, how lucky of all of you to get around so much...

Estelyn, that meeting looked so very cool. It is wonderful that so many high ranking members of the B-D's were finally able to get togther. The location looks absolutely beautiful [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Oh, and Sophia, going to a Cubs game. That sounds absolutely wonderful. I have always wanted to do that, but just have never been able to stay in Chicago for enough time to do that.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:46 PM   #192
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Thumbs up

I recall a certain distinguished Downs member promising a picture of Sharkey that would be more revealing. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

No, really, sounds like you guys had tons of fun (it having not been rainy must have been a plus...blah). Can't believe it will probably be another year when, and if, Esty and I meet again.

Thanks for all the pictures and the reviews of the participants! Am feeling quite warm and fuzzy now, overcome with the great spirit of Downs Internationalism! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2003, 05:35 PM   #193
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Quote:
Maikafanawen,
Myself,
Nuranar,
DaughterofVana,
Bulelainwen,
Eressie Ailin,
BethoHOG,
and One axe to rule them all,
we all live in Texas.
Me too! I'm from Texas! A Texas BD convention would be great! We deserve a convention of our very own! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 05:54 PM   #194
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Wow, Esty, Squatter, Sharku, and BW! So glad you had such a great time. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Also, the pictures are wonderful! Hm, that's another admin's picture down... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Anyone in the area of Southern Pennsylvania? PM me if you are!
Peace

[ August 20, 2003: Message edited by: Yavanna228 ]
Old 08-19-2003, 09:05 PM   #195
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love the pictures Estelyn Telcontar but I am a little depressed. I am always busy and never get to visit other members, maybe if some lived in Adelaide, Australia I could go and visit them.

Any chance of getting any of these great pictures into the barrow photo page, I don’t think I have any of Sharkû yet.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:05 PM   #196
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You know you're in great company when train or car rides, or evenings on the balcony (with the added advantage of generously served cold beer) seem so much more attractive than the actual sight-seeing.
Such was definitely the case for me at the first "official" Barrow-Downs gathering in Trier. Having known BW, Esty and Squatter as well as can be online for quite a while, I was pretty sure we were the right number of members and the perfect people to make the meeting both fun and interesting. Barrow-Wight, Squatter and me already met the day before we hit Trier with Esty, so we actually got in two boys’ nights. We spent both in a generally jocular mood, recalling old forum and chat antics and anecdotes; but it was also obvious that we all enjoyed the opportunity to talk to others with the same interests in real life for once, whether these were Tolkien, the Site; of an ‘academic’ manner, or the wonder that is good funny television.

Meeting people you’ve known online for a while was fortunately only strange for a few minutes, after which the excellent company I was in even made me gladly drop my usual –away status.
Of course, the fact that we were a small group, and definitely what I would call a group of online friends, made that comparatively easier and more enjoyable. Furthermore, this also accounts for my not really being surprised by the personality of anyone; some people you just know to be cool, and I wasn’t disappointed.

At least since I’ve known of BW’s “German history”, it was evident that we really should meet up some time when the chance should arise, which finally did after some three years of my sojourn on the site. Just as I said, the Wight was pretty much not only like I imagined him, but also like I knew him: about the funniest person I know, an excellent host, and both clever and wise in any discussion. Even though we talk about site matters frequently, the chance to do so face to face, and even start a “Barrow-Downs brainstorming” on some occassions with Estelyn and Squatter was very welcome.

Ever since the latter popped up on the forum and especially the chat, I’ve often experienced that it doesn’t take much at all for me to get into a deep conversation with him. With a person like Squatter, “deep” can be relative, since he is a walking treasure vault of knowledge of very high-brow academic matters just as much as of a wide range of anecdotes and amusing pieces. Such was one night when we decided to trade in sleep for discussion, and paid the price for it the following morning.

Even though she lives considerably closer to me than the little Englishman or BW, Esty and I never met before, either; and I can now say with absolute certainty that failing to do so is my deep regret. Esty proved a great interim guide through Trier and Heidelberg, but an even greater conversationalist with an opinion worth listening to on just about everything we ventured to come up with. Plus she’s head of my fanclub (no kidding), and that says a lot, mainly what a cheerful and amiable person she is. And that she has good taste, obviously, except for that REB thing which I never really understood. The three of them could talk on hours about that!
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 05:28 PM   #197
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Now that is one meeting I would have loved to attended. I hope BW and Squatter weigh in with their sides of the tale.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 05:32 PM   #198
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

All y'all Texans are hereby invited to see the ROTK with us in Houston as it was meant to be seen -- ALL 3 MOVIES BACK TO BACK. We're tentatively calling it the Houston Middle Earth Butt-Numb-A-Thon. Movies start afternoon on December 16, and will end with the premiere showing of ROTK. We plan to have a costume contest and great prizes to give away. Details forthcoming.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:49 PM   #199
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

That sounds fabulous! Glad you guys enjoyed yourselves so much. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Belin and I will be meeting Daisy_Sandybanks again in a few days, along with someoen else who has never been to the forum but chats sometimes, DrakeDun.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:37 PM   #200
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Danke schön for your report, Sharkey. It's good to be able to finally see your pic!

Almost forgot:

The Barrow-Wight is hot!

*goes off whistilng innocently and hoping that Mrs. Barrow-Wight is not reading over anyone's shoulder right about now*

[ August 20, 2003: Message edited by: Lush ]