The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2004, 07:41 PM   #41
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
When I write a speech I use brief sentences, sentences beginning with 'and', alliteration, repetition. Have I been taught to write words which are intended to sound 'biblical'?
Well, these are common techniques for effective speech-writing. Starting sentences with conjunctions and using short sentences mirror the way that we speak naturally, and so help make a speech sound more natural (rather than pre-prepared). Alliteration and repetition help emphasise the points that the speaker wishes to convey to the audience. I use these techniques a lot when I am writing talks for seminars.

I would not start sentences with conjunctions in my written work. Whether this is appropriate in a work of literature depends, I suppose, on the tone that the author wants to convey. Alliteration and repetition are useful in written work (including literature) for the same reasons that they are used in speeches, although they are perhaps more necessary in oral presentations as audiences generally only take in a proportion of what they are hearing and need to have the key points rammed home to them, whereas readers can always go back and re-read a passage that they didn't fully take in first time round (being an easily distracted reader, I do this all the time ).
Old 12-04-2004, 06:43 AM   #42
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm glad to see that these are common techniques!

Quote:
audiences generally only take in a proportion of what they are hearing and need to have the key points rammed home to them
This is a point that many forget when giving any kind of oral presentation. How many times have we had to sit through a dull presentation which may be intended to convey something of importance but is delivered badly? If only all those who write presentations would learn from speech-writing. The rule of three is very sensible and ensures effective delivery of important points, but it also ensures that the speech keeps to the point. I think the average attention span is only something like 20 minutes (and much less after a large lunch ) so building in emphasis points is also vital.

The other skill which is often dwongraded is the ability to create an effective visual presentation. I'm quite nifty with powerpoint and time and again I'm asked to create slides which are for want of a better word, useless. They ought to be pithy and brief (as my writing tutor used to say, sometimes you need to write as though there is tax to be paid on your words), but all too often I am ordered to cram as much text onto them as possible. I have tried pointing out that this extra information ought to be in a supplementary handout, but do they listen? Do they heck...
Old 12-04-2004, 06:57 AM   #43
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
The Moderator Speaks

Ahem! Let's keep this excellent discussion reasonably close to Tolkien, please - a bit of sidetracking is in order, but we do want to remember the original topic.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 09:49 AM   #44
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

This is way off the current topic but I think it's something that could fall under this thread. Because, I believe this is what gets me interested in LOTR (plus a handful of other books).

The fact that parts of the book (or maybe the whole book) is biased. Atleast, there are some characters, when they speak, it is definately opinionated. For example, Boromir, Haldir, Men in general, Frodo). Then there are those who can be more reliable then your biased people (Gandalf, Elrond, Glorfindel, Galadriel), but even they aren't 100% correct.

This to me makes it interesting because you wonder if what you are reading is actually right, or if it's just a crock of roastbeef. There are other stories like this, where the dialogue is also biased, most of the times we see them in plays, A Midsummer's night Dream, Cat on a Hot tin Roof...and so on. To me a story isn't fun if everyone is "right" all the time, you have to add in some unreliable people, just makes the story a lot more interesting.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:01 AM   #45
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
See also Barliman Butterbrain by Diamond 18

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 10:26 AM   #46
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Slightly back on topic, I made efforts today to counter my teacher's algebraic teachings while I was with a third grader from a local elementary school. I'm in a class here in which we are assigned to tutor/counsel troubled students from 1st to 8th grades. I actually have four kids, but this certain third grader was recommened by his teacher for help with social skills and reading, which means I get to take an hour out of my school day to chat and read with little kids! Anyway, this one boy lead me to the library where he showed me his favorite book (a picture book describing a pond...aw how cute) and then asked me if I could help him read "big kid books", because this book was in the first grade section and he was embarrassed that he hadn't joined his peers in the third grade reading level. So I hope to introduce him to the Hobbit (do you think that's to much?) Perhaps I'll read it to him while he follows along, but either way, I'm very excited and hope I can get him off to a good start so he'll be able to recognize the silliness I'm experiencing in twelfth grade.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:02 PM   #47
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
That's a cool idea, Lindolirian! Maybe you could find an illustrated version to help him along.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote