The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2001, 06:24 PM   #1
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Shield Phial in Sammath Naur

I have a question... When Sam walked in to the Chambers of Fire (Sammath Naur) why did the Phial of Galadriel go dim? I know the book says that "they had cometo the seat of Saurons power, the mightiest in all of Middle Earth,and here all other powers were subdued. But it is my understanding that the light in the Phial of Galadriel is "light caught from Earendil's star" which is a Silmaril. That may be where i make my mistake but i don't know. I f it were a Silmaril, then the light would overcome Sauron's power because the light of the Silmarils come from the Trees of Valinor and those were created by Eru himself who is much more powerful than a wimpy lil Mair like Sauron [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] . Please tell me why the light is dimmed... I don't get it!!
Old 11-16-2001, 06:44 PM   #2
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The light itself certainly was strong enought to penetrate the dark of Sauron, but here it may have been the case that the medium carrying the light was not enough. The condensed ancient might of Sauron, united with the apparent power of the very mountain itself, may have simply been to powerful for Galadriel's magic to overcome.
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 02:41 AM   #3
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Nah. The phial was not a simaril itself but only a reflection. A fragile power relative to the heart of Sauron's realm.
Old 11-21-2001, 08:25 PM   #4
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharku:
<STRONG>The light itself certainly was strong enought to penetrate the dark of Sauron, but here it may have been the case that the medium carrying the light was not enough. The condensed ancient might of Sauron, united with the apparent power of the very mountain itself, may have simply been to powerful for Galadriel's magic to overcome.</STRONG>
That and the Ring itself was there as well at the very place it was wrought.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 05:55 PM   #5
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Ok thank you! I think the idea about the Light being strong enough, but the medium not was what I was looking for. Interesting...

Last edited by Lindolirian; 01-27-2005 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Oh my silly little self
Lindolirian is offline   Reply With Quote