The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2002, 04:23 PM   #1
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Question Dorwinion

Where exactly is Dorwinion? In the Lost Road somewhere i remember reading about it being " lands in the blistering South" or something like that, but in the Atlas of Middle Earth (which i know was not made by Tolkien and can be wrong) it is shown near the Sea of Rhun. where is it???
Old 04-12-2002, 06:32 PM   #2
simpleradagast

Shield

I believe in the Pauline Baynes map Tolkien indicated to her thatit was indeed located near the Sea of Rhun...not definitive but more likely than the far south.
Old 04-12-2002, 06:33 PM   #3
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Good question Lindolirian! I have no idea what the answer is!
Old 04-12-2002, 11:31 PM   #4
Mhoram
Dead and Loving It

Mhoram has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Robert Foster only states that it is somewhere in Middle-Earth. I havn't come across it in my reading so let me just comment on the mention that it may have been south of the Sea of Rhun.

For one thing, the sea of rhun is very close to mordor as we all notice. Who would be daring enough to live there and maintain a garden for the making of wine, I can not imagine.

However, we know that the area around the Sea of Rhun was a nice at one point because we are told that the Elves spent some time there on their way from Cuiviénen(where the elves first awoke) to Beleriand and on to Valinor for some. Whether it was still nice some 12,000 years later, I can not say.

One last point. The Forest River passes into the River Running which ofcourse flows all they way to the Sea of Rhun. However, it flows south. So the heavy barrels full of wine would either have to be carried over land from Dorwinion or paddled up the River Running, which is only feasible if the River flows very slow.

If someone can direct me to the text that would suggest that Dorwinion is near the Sea of Rhun, i'd surely appreciate it.
Mhoram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 05:26 AM   #5
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default...dorwinion.html

At this adress I found a description and location of Dorwinion.

'A little-known land, probably lying in the vales of the River Running, famed for its great gardens and the quality of its wine.'

But as you see they seem to be hesitating as well. Hope you'll find out more about this, it's interesting.

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote