The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-30-2002, 03:52 PM   #1
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting Gimli & Legolas's Friendship

I love how their friendship is shown to grow throughout both films.<P>In Rivendell they dislike each other strongly.<P>On the Ext. DVD when they leave Lothlorien Legolas asks him what Galdriel gave him and they seem to be getting better.<P>The 'Hunt Orc' bit is even better.<P>And by Helm's Deep they are joking around, its really great to see.<P>(I'm also glad they kept the death counting in the film. Funny!!)
Old 12-30-2002, 03:55 PM   #2
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

Yeah I too am enjoying watching their friendship grow...
Old 12-30-2002, 07:33 PM   #3
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

It was great to see them do the counting in the movie, I have wanted them to do that ever since I read that part, thought it was cool. I thought it was neat that they would stop to talk to each other after having an arguement with someone. After Theoden and Gimli argue (sorta) Legolas stops to talk to Gimli as Theoden leaves with Aragorn behind him, and when Legolas has the big arguement with Aragorn Gimli reassures him. Yeah, it was neat to see so much character development and junk.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 07:50 PM   #4
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I loved their friendship in the movie. And I am so glad they put Legolas' "You would die before your stroke fell" line in the movie. It was great. It also added alot of comic relief to the movie that they needed now that Pippin is getting more courageous and not so fool of a tookish.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 08:21 PM   #5
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I think that PJ did very well with difficult character development. Merry and Pippin were sufficiently (if suddenly) grown up, and Legolas and Gimli were certainly friends this time around. The orc-killing contest and Legolas' defense of Gimli during their meeting with Eomer have both been mentioned, and I second that. Very, very nice. Legolas' teasing Gimli at Helm's Deep and Gimli not attacking him really helped. REALLY helped. Though I tired of Gimli the Comedian after a while, the Helm's Deep joking was pretty good. Bravo to PJ for that!<P>~*~Orual~*~
Old 12-30-2002, 08:27 PM   #6
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

If PJ hadn't put their developing friendship in, I would've killed him. TTT is my favorite book from the trilogy just because of Legolas and Gimli, and I think PJ pulled it off excelently. I especially liked the counting at Helm's Deep. That made my day, and my week, and...
Old 12-31-2002, 04:50 AM   #7
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

Gimli, "I've got two!"<BR>Legolas, "nineteen!"<P>or words to that effect, great stuff!
Old 12-31-2002, 09:44 AM   #8
Eruwen

Tolkien

Oh, and speaking of the orc killing contest, did anyone notice when they were showing far away scenes of the battle, in the distance you could hear, "91" and "92" yelling from the background? That is so funny that they did that. Alot of people said that this movie was very different from the books. And it was. But PJ put in all of the little stuff I was hoping for in the movie. He did do a really good job.
Old 12-31-2002, 10:47 AM   #9
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

I thougt that was Gimli yelling "21! 22!" Not "91! 92!" But it could've been either, but I think in the 90s is a bit much. In the books they only got into the 40s if I remember correctly, and even so, in warfare that is a very large number. Again, if I recall correctly!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 01:45 PM   #10
Eruwen

Tolkien

oh, well it might have been. I didn't really know exactly which number they said. My sis said that it was the 90's. But I didn't even think about the books when she told me that. (She hasn't read them anyway.) It was probably 40's.
Old 12-31-2002, 02:10 PM   #11
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I didn't quite catch all of the numbers either, but I did think that their friendship was potrayed very well. I especially liked it when Gimli told Aragorn not to tell the elf. It was very funny. I am also glad that Gimli rode with Legolas, just a little detail but it helped.
Old 01-01-2003, 03:38 AM   #12
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I too thought they did a good job with the friendship, I loved the part when Gimli is too short to see whats going on and Legolas asks if he should get him a box <P>Even though a lot of people think that Gimli was reduced to comic dwarf, I did not think it was that bad, this film was very serious in many ways and they needed to lighten it up some times. And I loved that they put in the orc counting thing, that was such a good part from the book, one of my favorites.
Old 01-01-2003, 08:10 AM   #13
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

The extended FOTR especially did a better job of showing the relationship between Legolas and Gimli. I love the quote just before the walls of Moria, <P>Gandalf: "If the secret of a Dwarf door is lost, not even their maker can open it!"<BR>Legolas: "Why doesn't that surprise me?"<BR>Gimli: the classic unhappy Gimli-grunt<P>Okay, so it didn't really make sense, but it was delivered quite well. I think Gimli's side was shown much better than Legolas', but the whole thing was done quite well considering the limited screen time. It's really touching in the book when they get separated during the battle, and Legolas is really happy to see him again. Wish they'd kept that.
Old 01-01-2003, 12:28 PM   #14
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My sis went on a big rant yesterday on how she thought that Gimli and Legolas' characters where very underdeveloped. Can anyone prove it one way or another I came up with some things but I want to know what you guys think. I don't think that anything will change her mind but it is worth a try.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #15
sassyfriend
Wight

sassyfriend has just left Hobbiton.
Loved Legolas expect he didn't sing at all and I was hopeing to hear him sing!!!!! Didn't get to the books until after the fellowship of the ring. Don't remember much about Gimli in the books and yes i LOVED their friendship.
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote