The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-12-2002, 11:06 AM   #1
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting I got it!!

I got it yesterday. My walmart put it out early and I watched it last night. To truely appreciate the extra scenes you had to have read the book. My favorite small insert is when Aragorn is leading the hobbits through the marshes and the great line when all the mesquitos are biting: "What do these things eat when they can't get Hobbit?" But Lothlorien is now, with all the stuff put into it, the best sequence in the film, and Galadriel is portrayed much more like she is in the book. The best is Gimili falling in love with her and Legolas smirk when Gimli tells him how beautiful she is.<P>Also when the Nazgul are chaing the hobbits in the original version you see the 3 way ahead of Frod and I always wondered how Frodo got so far behind. In the SE you clearly see why.<P>The only thing I do miss is at the beginning they took out Gandalf telling about the third age as he rode with Frodo and had Bilbo do it as he wrote his book. That didn't flow as well with me as the original.<P>This is the version that should have been put in the theater.<P>I really only got to watch oneof the appedices features. The one about JRR Tolkien and the writing of the book was really well done.<p>[ November 12, 2002: Message edited by: GreyIstar ]

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 12:02 PM   #2
alkquareiel02
Animated Skeleton

alkquareiel02 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I ditched class and stuff to take it home and watch it, I loved it, it is wicked! I made my sis watch it and told her I was having my own LOTR's day and I loved all the new bits!
alkquareiel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 12:29 PM   #3
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My dad got it this morning, since he was off work for some reason. I for one did not ditch school, I took the day off because I feel HoRrIbLe!! I have a flu-like thingy, and to top it all off, I just got my little rubber spacers taken out, and metal ones put in, even if you can see them unless I open my mouth, it hurts and I can't eat anything.<P>Anyway, back to the point. I finished it a half hour ago, and the extended version was great! I especially liked the mosquito part, and that just goes to show how much better something sounds just with that little addition. <P>Go...now, Buy it!!<BR>Aylwen<p>[ November 12, 2002: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 11-12-2002, 02:18 PM   #4
Roquen
Pile O'Bones

Roquen has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Yeah I know what you mean about the flow of the film at the start being interupted by the inclution of Bilbos narration...<P>They should have shown both Gandalf and Bilbos scenes but not try to inter-cut them so much... Easier said than done though. I'd still rather have this vertion over the theatrical release any day! I just get the feeling that there is enough new scenes for another 30 mins of stuff! MORE!!!!! (Peter Jackson does hint at another release but I'm not sure weather to take this seriously! It's in his commentary track during the Mines of Moria, he's talking about the changes to Gollum for the Two Towers and how he might release a vertion with the new Gollum inserted!!!)
Old 11-12-2002, 04:02 PM   #5
Mintyztwin
Wight

Mintyztwin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Whoa! Way cool! Hmm . . . I better be able to talk mom into getting this!!! Hope hope!

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:2
Mintyztwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 04:08 PM   #6
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

My mom's out buying it for me right at this very moment. I can't wait to see it!

Unfortunately, I can't see the entire thing tonight (I've got other commitments).

Last edited by Brinniel; 02-05-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 05:29 PM   #7
The-Elf-Herself
Haunting Spirit

The-Elf-Herself has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Haha! I was home sick today, but my Mom and brother went out WAY early in the morning and bought THE VERY FIRST COPY at the nearest Wal-Mart(they also got these nifty Yoda buttons). The first time I held it in my hands I had to immediately put it down for fear of dropping it; you see, I was jumping around the living room screaming(well, it was more like pathetic whispering, dang laryngitis ). Unfortunately, my brother bought Attack of the Clones as well and he's a bigger Star Wars fan than Lord of the Rings fan, so guess which one we're watching first? I've nothing against Star Wars, being a fan myself, but still...
Old 11-12-2002, 06:17 PM   #8
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm taking a break from watching the special features to tell you, FRODO LIVES!!! This is truely the best movie release of the year.<BR>Some extra features you should really check out is the featurette on the 4th disc "The Day of a Hobbit". awesome. And also check out the cast commentary, equally awesome.<BR>COOL DVD!!!
Old 11-12-2002, 06:29 PM   #9
Mintyztwin
Wight

Mintyztwin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Must . . . buy . . . . DVD . . . must . . . hold out . . . help . . . me . . . need . . . *shmack!!*<P>Okie dokie! I have a feeling I might be able to talk mom into this! Man, this sounds WAY cool!

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:2
Mintyztwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 08:58 PM   #10
nerddogs
Pile O'Bones

nerddogs has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I got the package with the bookends today. I know, I know I'm a smuck but they look soooo good on my bookshelf. I also got AoTCs.
nerddogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 12:01 PM   #11
busybee
Haunting Spirit

Location: Mirkwood, Lothlorien...dream...actually the middle of nowhere...Mumbai
busybee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You will not believe in how much time its gonna be released here......a couple of MONTHS!!Can you believe it?? <BR>Dying.....need DVD....can't last....help...<BR>Thanks to wonderful Amazon without which i could not exist.Give it 2 weeks.<BR>Must survive.....hang on...not give up..... <BR>Are the bookends nice?I heard that there are cards of some sort in it?
Old 11-13-2002, 04:23 PM   #12
Elven Mistress
Wight

Elven Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm praying i can get it too! Does anyone know how much it is?!!!!!! I hope not too much!!!!!!
Old 11-13-2002, 06:30 PM   #13
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

I got mine yesterday, but I am waiting until I have time (this weekend) to watch the whole thing. I got mine from amazon.com. I got the special gift package with 2 free tickets to TTT, the statues of the Argonauth, the National Geographic Video, and the trading cards.<P>Legolas mentions Morgoth?! Woo! Heavy stuff!<P>I was a big loud and high-pitched, I fear, when I received it...I'm sure all the dogs on my block began to bark is more like it...<P>I thought it was supposed to be rated R for some reason? It isn't...it is still PG-13...<P>Well, wish me luck holding out!
Old 11-17-2002, 07:52 AM   #14
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

IT'S SO COOL!<P>I love all the additions to the Shire. That part is totally trasformed. At first it seems a bit odd but after watching it a few times it's as natural as the theatrical version. That one small clip of Sam gardening was enough to get me hyped for the rest of the movie.<P>The Green Dragon inn part is just so hobbitish. The song they sing is so enjoyable you just want to get up and dance with them.<BR>I love this part:<BR>Sam: Mind who your sweet talking.<BR>Frodo: Don't worry Sam. Rose knows an idiot when she sees one.<BR>Sam: (with a worried face) Does she?<P>It's amazing because some parts are not scenes that are put in but just little tidbits. It's fun to try and figure out what's new.<P>I noticed quite a few of the new scenes centered around Aragorn. I loved them, they gave more depth to his charicter.<P>Who would have thought that the scene with Merry and Pippin are "attacking" Boromir could get any better? I love when they get Aragorn too.<P>Legolas has more lines! I'm not a fan of Legolas but it's nice to hear the guy say things other then "Orcs!" and "Gobblins!".<BR>The Lothlorien scenes are exactlly what I had been hoping for. Their just wonderfull.<P>The commentaries are very intresting to watch and very funny too.<P>The special features let you see just how big of a project this movie was.