The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-11-2002, 04:28 PM   #1
Roquen
Pile O'Bones

Roquen has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Special Edition

So, Just wanted to know what everyone thought of the new edit of the Fellowship of the Ring. My own opinion is that this is a somewhat more faithful version of the film to the book. Most notable for me are the added scenes with Aragorn. It's amazing what just a couple of extra peices have done for his character! The look on his face while telling Frodo about the tale of Luthien and Beren...! Incredeble!!!<BR>It's was also much more pleasing to see a little more happyness in Lothlorien. Galadriels smile is just beautiful to see and was missed in the theatrical cut. All in all, though, all the characters are given just a little more to go with in this release; Gimli's gift from Galadriel, Legolas' extra scenes in Lothlorien (did he really just mention Morgoth!), Boromirs added tention and more informative moments with Aragorn...<BR>The Hobbits get especialy good treatment from this release also. I actually cheered to see the Sackville-baggins', the Gaffer and Ted Sandyman! But it's the small moments of Frodo's and Gandalfs that are standout for me. I just loved the Flet scene showing Frodos growing paranoia and we're given more of a sence that the Ring is literaly weighing heavy on him. Gandalf is much more like the literary Wizard due to his added lines showing his more gruff and cantankerous side, espescialy toward Pippin! Just like the book!!!<BR>I did feel that the new Bilbo scenes, although very useful, did disrupt the start of the film for me. To disjointed in my eye's. Overall I liked the fact that the extra scenes gave an extra sence of time during the journey, due to the fact that many of the newly added scenes take place during the night, spliting the previously quick scenes from one day to two. I'd also like to applaued the tranfer. The picture this time out just has a slight edge over the first DVD release. How this was done is beyond me because i thought that the origanal picture quality was fantastic. The new DTS sound track is breathtaking also! It has a real organic quality over the standard 5.1 Dolby Digital track. I've rambled on enough about all this so I'll leave the extras for another time! Let me know what you all thought of the new edit.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:00 PM   #2
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

You lucky dog! It's not coming out until tomorrow in the States. I'll tell you what I thought of it then!
Old 11-11-2002, 06:05 PM   #3
Cazoz
Haunting Spirit

Cazoz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Where the hell did you get it from? I was around the shops in Hammersmith today and <I>everywhere</I> said I'd have to wait until tomorrow.<BR>Well it's after midnight now, but I don't have the energy to get a night bus down to Tower Records in Piccadilly. Damn, I bet they have it right now! Anyways, congratulations on getting it so early, and sorry for sounding confrontational, it's just envy!
Cazoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 06:37 PM   #4
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Wow thats soooooo awesome, thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!! Man, I have to wait till tomorrow. Can you list all the extra senses please!!!!!!!<p>[ November 11, 2002: Message edited by: Arwen Evenstar the Fair ]
Old 11-11-2002, 06:48 PM   #5
Balrog of Khazadum

Sting

Yay! i want that
Old 11-11-2002, 07:51 PM   #6
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Dang! I won't get mine until at least Wednesday because Amazon just shipped it today! I know someone who saw it in the theatre last Tuesday, though, & she said it was amazing!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 07:53 PM   #7
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Tigerlilly,<P>Where is it showing in an actual theater?<P>sharon, the 7th age hobbit
Old 11-11-2002, 08:07 PM   #8
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

It was because of a Moviefone contest that occurred. The showing was only for one night in select cities for those who won the contest. I did not hear about it until too late! Sigh!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 01:34 AM   #9
Roquen
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Wow! I really didn't think that anyone would have a problem getting this!!! OK, not to annoy any of you further but I got my copy on Friday thr 8th!!!! I got it from Blackstar in the UK. (www.blackstar.co.uk) They always send slightly early so as to make sure you get it on release day. As for all the deleted scenes... SPOILER ALERT!!!<P>Still here?<P>ok then, this is what I can remember...<P>There is an exta peice showing Isildur putting the Ring on and making for the Anduin when they are attacked.<BR>Then theres about 7 mins worth added at the start with Bilbo giving you the low down on the shire, not Gandalf! As well as totaly new scenes, theres compleatly new takes of old scenes! Bilbo is writing the Red Book and thinks he's lost the Ring. Theres a nice Scene of him losing his temper 'cause he can't find it! Theres an extra part with Gandalf and Bilbo at bagend but nothing significant. The next major Scene is the small introduction of the Sackville-baggins' and Bilbo and Frodo hiding from them at the party then having a nice moment together. The next nice moment is in the Grren Dragon pub. This shows a little more of all the Hobbits but now including the famous talk (slightly altered) of the Gaffer and Ted Sandyman talking about things going on in the world at large. Plus a little moment with Rosey and Sam. The next thing I can think of is The Midgewater Marshes and Aragorn singing the Lay of Luthien (Viggo wrote this!!! watch the MASSIVE extras!) and the famous line added "would seem fairer but feel fouler" from Frodo. Then I think it's on to Rivendel where the Council has a better twist with Gandalf booming the Blackspeech of the Ring to the dismay of all!!! Theres a nice moment added where they leave Imladris (actually called this at one point now!) with Frodo not knowing wheather to go left or right. Beatiful unspoken moment between Aragorn and Arwen too. Oh, I forgot the part with Aragorn cleaning his mothers grave and discusing it all with elrond plus a new moment between Boromir and Aragorn. The next lot of added scenes are at Kazad Doom. As I said before, Gandalf is shown losing his temper with Pip. Theres a nice scene between Gandalf and Frodo discussing the power of the Ring and how it is effecting the Fellowship, and there are more scenes inside explaining the mining of Mithril and it's value. Gollum is actually called smeagol at one point to! Ok, got to go to work now but if you want the rest, let me know and I'll post it.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:15 AM   #10
Roquen
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Hi again. It's now my luch break so Ithought I'd give you a little more of whats on the disks.<P>Right then, the Lothlorien scene is much longer with a whole new edit of Haldir. This time on a Flet. Aragorn has to convince Haldir to take them to see Galadriel. This scene feels far far closer to the book in the way that the relationships play out. Frodo has a much more paranoid scene where he's feeling the glances of the Fellowship on him and he feels a sence of blame for Gandalfs death. Again, this scene feels like it's taking place over the course of two days because the flet scene is at night then they continue there journy Caras Caladoun the next day. You actually get to see it from the outside too! Celeborn gets much more screen time this time out too. Much better. He gives Aragorn a Elvish dagger inscribed with the words "foes of Morgoth" and Legolas mentions the Balrog as an emisserary of Morgoth. Nice touch for true fans! Galadriel is given a much softer side during the gift giving scene. Gimlis words are straight from the book! I dare any of you not to laugh at the new Lembas scene with Mary and Pip!!! Next is the River scene showing a tiny glimps of Gollum grasping to a log. Again this is at night giving the River journey an extended feel. Boromir and Aragorn have a heated discution unaware of Frodo listening, giving his sence of plight greater weight. There are lots of tiny little peaices that I've forgotten to mention so forgive me if I left anything out. If anyone wants a run down of the extras, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to cover it all (there is TONS of stuff!) I just have to thanks all the guys responsible for this release!!!! Fantastic job!!! For fans of Tom theres a lovely Thank you from the four Hobbits on one of the comentary tracks... They thank Tom for looking after them while in the old forest! Nice touch!<BR>Can't wait for you guys to get this so I can compare things!!!<BR>Thanks for all your kind ords to!! You guys rock!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2002, 10:58 AM   #11
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Question

Roquen, do you mean that they took out the cart-ride and replaced it with other stuff? Oh, and I liked that scene so much...I hope it's not gone totally. (Tonight seems so long away. I'll never last. I'm probably going to do a really bad job at work today. This is too much.) Thanks for all the spoilers! I'm an incurable spoilee.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:26 AM   #12
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Wow that rocks!!!! Thanks!!!!
Old 11-12-2002, 11:49 AM   #13
Roquen
Pile O'Bones

Ring

No, the cart ride is all there but Bilbo is doing most of the talking as he writes There and Back again. Just slightly different takes were used this time to show a slightly more sinister bent on the fact that Frodo suspects something... You'll see.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:57 AM   #14
alkquareiel02
Animated Skeleton

alkquareiel02 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I got it and watched it,and it is better than the first film and definately closer to the book in some ways,in Lorien it was good to see the gift giving bit and the shire etc. I couldn't wait to get my mits on it! Gonna watch the extra's later!
alkquareiel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 02:47 PM   #15
Lhunbelethiel
Wight

Lhunbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

ARRRRRRRRRRRGH! 3 more hours of work till I get my copy!!!!! I better call Blockbuster to make sure they still have mine on hold! wahhh! I can't wait!
Old 11-12-2002, 08:57 PM   #16
Helkasir
Haunting Spirit

Helkasir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would have replied earlier were I not in the process of watching the movie.
Old 11-12-2002, 10:36 PM   #17
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

I'm in heaven! I just loved the gift-giving scene, and the part where they first come before Celeborn and Galadriel, and Galadriel says some nice things to Gimli and smiles at him. I'm so glad they finally got Gimli's love for her in there! The way the giving was intercut with the members leaving on the boat was great because it showed them fondly remembering her. I love the dialogue between Legolas and Gimli:<P>"I will now call nothing fair except for her gift."(my lousy paraphrase)<BR>"What did she give you?"<BR>"I asked her for one strand of her golden hair...she gave me three."<P>Love it!<P>More things I loved...the part by the doors of Moria where Pippin says "Nothing's happening" and "Well what are you going to do?" and Gandalf replies, "Knock on the doors with your head, and if that doesn't shatter it to pieces...etc."<BR>When Aragorn is singing the Lay of Luthien is another great part...<BR>And when Boromir saves Sam from being stomped on by the Troll...<P>And oh! The dark, evil side of me loved the part where Lurtz licked the blood off of the dagger (kinda like Shagrat in RotK) and when Pippin jumps on the Orc and stabs it in the throat (go Pip!).<P>I'm glad my favorite parts of the cart-ride were left in. It did seem a bit disjointed in the beginning, but perhaps the more I watch it the less it will seem that way.<P>There were some parts I didn't like. The whole flet scene with Haldir seemed pointless beyond Boromir's line. I don't recall Haldir being that nasty in the book...and I missed Gimli's line, "Aragorn, these woods are perilous, we should go back." I wouldn't have added that.<P>And when Galadriel gives Pippin his dagger she tells him, "Do not be afraid, Peregrin Took. You will find your courage." I don't think Pippin's problem was ever lack of courage (compared to the other three hobbits). Of course, in the book he was more reckless than stupid, and in the movie he was more stupid, so that line fit with his movie personna. I just didin't think Pip should be singled out as needing courage.<P>Anything that I haven't mentioned, I liked! Or loved! <p>[ November 12, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 11-12-2002, 10:51 PM   #18
JenFramp
Haunting Spirit

JenFramp has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to JenFramp
Thumbs up

I was wondering how quick a topic would be put up here considering it has only just come out today..hehe I just got done with it..wow... it gives alot of information for the poor people who haven’t read the book...I liked the beginning a lot! BUT my favorite part by far was the whole part in Lothlorien..they added lots to that!! I was really impressed..Lothlorien is beautiful..and of course the part where Sam tries to add a verse to Gandalf’s lament is funny..my favorite part of the extended edition however, is the ticket to go see the Two Towers
Old 11-12-2002, 11:01 PM   #19
elfling
Haunting Spirit

elfling has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow, I just finished watching the new extended and it was great it felt like soo much more than 30 min was added. It made a big dif. I think. I thought it was better. Iloved the Gimli and Gal. scenes it was very touching to give Gimli more heart and more lines. The Shire and Hobbit additions were also informative and i loved the added humor of the Hobbits and when Aragorn hit Gimli for snoring. I just LOVED IT! Please excuse any spamming I'm tired and very happy.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:01 PM   #20
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Okay, I am SO annoyed. I pre-ordered the special edition, and the website said I would receive it the day it comes out, which is <B>TODAY</B>! Needless to say, it hasn't arrived.
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 12:01 AM   #21
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

I got the collector's edition (the boxed set wtih the Argonath bookends). I wondered why it was so much more expensive than just the movie! It has a ticket to see TTT inside, as well as 3 cards from the game, and the National Geographic special, too! (shoot! I bought that special way back in April!) <P>Loved Sam's fireworks lines and Aragorn hitting Gimli for snoring.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:22 AM   #22
alkquareiel02
Animated Skeleton

alkquareiel02 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was gonna get that but I got too impatient and got the other,on the monday t-time the guy rang me from choices to tell me he had it,but he couldn't let me have it until Tuesday,that was maddening,but I've it watched it now,the other one was nearly 40 quid,but I bet its worth it! Darn!
alkquareiel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 03:05 AM   #23
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I got the collector's edition (the boxed set wtih the Argonath bookends). I wondered why it was so much more expensive than just the movie! It has a ticket to see TTT inside, as well as 3 cards from the game, and the National Geographic special, too! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>WELL!<P><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Argonath Bookends: YES<BR><LI>Ticket for TTT: NO<BR><LI>3 Cards for the game: NO<BR><LI>National Geographic secial: NO</UL><P>Thats what I got in the post just now. Should I sue Amazon?
Old 11-13-2002, 05:19 AM   #24
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Have seen it a couple of times now (the first sequence of it I mean) - I like all of it exept Bilbo's account of the shire. I like that we see more of it, but Bilbo's talk? Hmm, no..
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 09:08 AM   #25
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Well you guys have said everything and I know I'm about the 14th person to say this but what the hell. LOTHLORIEN! WOW!<P>Galadriel actually smiled!<BR>Celeborn spoke! Oh Lord, CELEBORN SPOKE! How gutted must Martin Csokas have been when he saw the cinema version. Oh well.<P>Frodo's Mordor line was very funny and Gandalf's Black Speech was just awesome. I also really liked the Aragorn/Elrond scene.<P>But wasn't Aragorn's punch on Gimli a tad harsh? I don't know, maybe you really have to belt a Dwarf to get through to him.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:53 AM   #26
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like the way they entered Lothlorien now and Aragorn had to plead with Haldir to let them in.<P>The sequence with Galadriel and Gimli is priceless. Galadriel and Celeborn were so much fleshed out and I like how Legolas explained that Gandalf was taken by a Balrog of Morgoth!! Holy crap they are actually mentioning stuff from the Silmarillion!!!

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 11:40 AM   #27
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

This is one of my favorites of the added parts (My boyfriend and I bought the collectors' edition last night and watched it! Yay Argonath bookends!):<P>Legolas, holding a piece of lembas: 'Lembas! One small bite will satisfy a grown Man for a day.'<P>Merry to Pippin: 'How many did you eat?'<P>Pippin: 'Four.' *BELCH*<P>Hey - they gave Celeborn a lot more lines! Now he has, like, 10! <p>[ November 13, 2002: Message edited by: TolkienGurl ]
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 11:43 AM   #28
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting

That bit is one of my favourites too. Did you see Legolas with a jug in his hands? Sothats where Mirror-Jug number one went...
Old 11-13-2002, 12:00 PM   #29
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

1420!

Oh! I just remembered another part that I loved. When Frodo and Bilbo hide from the Sackville-Bagginses, and Bilbo starts to talk all sentimental. Frodo asks him, "Have you been into the Gaffer's special brew?"<P>Bilbo: "No! Well...yes...but that's not the reason I'm saying this."<P>Oh yeah, and the Legolas/Merry/Pippin Lembas scene was great too. <P>Yeah, I'll bet Martin Csokas was thinking, "They only left my <I>part</I> of one line that makes me look like an idiot! What gives????" I liked his line about, "Seldom do Orcs travel in sunlight, yet these have done so."
Old 11-13-2002, 12:26 PM   #30
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I was so happy that Celeborn got more lines!!!!<BR>I stayed up a quarter of the night watching the movie and the other things (haven't finished yet).<P>Loved the extra parts in the Shire with Bilbo's narration. And when he keeps telling Frodo to get the door, only Frodo's not there! And that was a powerful scene when he can't find the ring, very well done!<P>OOOO! Creepy Sacville-Bagginses. It was cool seeing them though! And that little scene between Frodo and Bilbo, "I am very selfish" almost made me cry! It was so sweet! <P>Oh! Almost forgot, the part where Isildur puts on the Ring and dives into the water, that was very well done and essential I think.<P>Merry and Pippin's little song and dance routine at The Green Dragon, with Frodo joining in once in a while, that was good.<BR>AAAaa! I saw the Gaffer! I'm so happy they stuck him in there, he put in a good word for Frodo when Ted Sandyman was not being nice.<P>"Don't worry, Sam. Rosie knows an idiot when she sees one.<BR>*worried Sam* "She does??" That was too cute!<P>"Look fairer but feel fouler" wasn't that in the book too? I'll have to go check.<P>ooh ooh and when Sam and Frodo see the elves leaving Middle-Earth! I LOVED that scene!<P>The Midgewater Marshes, I was disappionted when they didn't have that in the theatrical cut, glad they put it back in.<P>Aragorn's lay of Luthien, that was very good.<P>"Look, Frodo, Mr. Bilbo's trolls" I'm glad someone FINALLY mentioned the stone trolls.<P>When Boromir was reaching for the Ring at the beginning of the council. I must say that was frightening. I wonder what Elrond would have done if he had grabbed it? And when Gandalf spoke Black Speech, that was powerful! Legolas certainly looked ill at ease there didn't he? Elrond didn't look too well either, sort of like I look when I'm on top of a high place, somewhere between getting sick and fainting. <P>Mordor, left or right?" that was good too.<P>Brormir's line about the snow being the death of the Hobbits, that was in the book and a welcome addition. <P>I wonder what Gimli REALLy saod to Haldir? I'm sure it wasn't nice. That whole flet scene was good.<P>As I said before, Celeborn Spoke!!! eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!<BR>I'm so glad he got more lines! He's not the stupid grouch of an elf he seems to be in the other version. And I paid more attention to Aragorn's dagger after seeing Celebrn gave it to him.<P>When Sam was reciting his poetry, and Gimli stars snoring. Aragorn gives him a disgusted look and whaps him! I laughed SO HARD!<P>Bring on the gifts!!!! woo hooo! Yeah!<BR>I loved the look on Legolas' face when Gimli told him about how he asked Galadriel for one of her hairs and she gave him three.<P>Saw Gollum on a floating log, and Brormir and Aragorn having a tiny bit of an argument.<P>Go Pippin! Kill more orcs!<P>lesee is that it?<P>Loved the whole thing! So glad I have it!
Old 11-13-2002, 12:34 PM   #31
DaughterofVana
Wight

DaughterofVana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Impressions from the Extended Edition:<P>1. CELEBORN IS AN ACTUAL CHARACTER! WOO-HOO! I posted on another thread a while ago how disappointed I was on the theatrical version cutting him down--now he actually seems like the King of Lothlorien instead of Mr. Galadriel. <P>2. And Galadriel is a NICE PERSON! My mother, a Tolkien layman in every sense of the word, thought initally that Galadriel was up on the evil meter with Saruman. Her character is so much more fleshed out and developed, and I was exceedingly pleased. <P>3. Didn't mind the Haldir scene, though some subtitles when he and Aragorn were conversing (arguing?) would have been nice. And I think he WAS that mean in the books, up to a point--he initially made everyone go blindfolded though Lothlorien, and before the company convinced him otherwise Gimli was going to be barred from entering at all. At least in the ExEd there was some trip-ups on getting into Caras Galadon because of the company of a dwarf--more true to FSotR.<P>4. MORE ELVISH!! WOO-HOO!! I was in heaven. In the first movie, Arwen got the most elvish lines, and since she wasn't supposed to get that many lines, period, I thought it was sort of unfair. But now Aragorn tops the cake (and as Elessar, he should) and the extended scenes with Elrond at his mother's tomb, singing in the Marshes about Tinuviel, and conversing with Haldir and Galadriel lets us believe fully now that the guy grew up with the elves. And LOTHLORIEN?? Broken record that, so I'll stop. <P>5. But my favorite scene of all: the passing of the elves. That song that they sing is the most beautiful thing I think I have ever heard. I could listen to that over and over again. I wish they had it on the soundtrack!<P>That's enough for me.<P>-'Vana

Hi! Did you miss me?
DaughterofVana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 01:42 PM   #32
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
I'm very happy with the new edition. Most of the new or enhanced scenes are the "good" stuff like hobbit lore, elves, Aragorn, Boromir, Gandalf, etc. I did really like the licking the blood off the new dagger though! That Lurtz has got the scariest evil eye I've ever seen! I grooved to the sight of GIMLI'S HEAD! It gave his character more depth for me. I'm very, very happy, and I love my Ticket!
Old 11-13-2002, 01:49 PM   #33
Elwing16

Sting

I actually don't know when the Special Edition is released in Greece but I am looking forward to it!!! To be honest, I can't wait
Old 11-13-2002, 01:55 PM   #34
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I can't believe they had the Sackville-Bagginses in the movie!!! That was so funny!<P>"What to they live on when they can't get Hobbit?" I wish Sam would have said that. <P>Gimli and Galadriel = the perfect pair <BR>"I asked for one lock of hair off her golden head, and she gave me three!" <P>Oh, and that stupid Hobbit that kept itching his ears! That cracked me up!<P>It seemed awfully mean of Merry when he said "He's foul enough." Grrr... <p>[ November 13, 2002: Message edited by: TolkienGurl ]
Old 11-13-2002, 02:58 PM   #35
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Booo HOoo! I <I>still</I> don't have a DVD player! <P>Any more Spoilers for me???
Old 11-13-2002, 03:02 PM   #36
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Eye

Oh, it was AWESOME!!! I only rented it, as I didn't have money for the collectors edition, but hope to get it for Christmas. I LOVED IT!!!! Lothlorien.... oh! It was wonderful! Galadriel smiled! All the characters are more fleshed out with more personality. I loved the scene in the Green Dragon! And the lembas scene! that was too funny! To me, you saw more of how lonely Strider really was. The look on his face after the line about looking fair and feeling foul... he just looked so lonely! Like he wanted somebody to trust him. And the scene in Rivendell, where he was talking to Galadriel about Arwen, and said he would have her go with her people... my eyes started watering up. His love for her is so selfless. And the Rivendell farewell scene, that was soooo sad! The way he looked back at her, her eyes all watering up, then he nodded to her and left. Oh! I liked the way when they walked out the gate Frodo said, 'Mordor, Gandalf. Is it left or right?' I have to watch all the special features now before returning it to the movie store. I hope I get it for Christmas! If not, I'll buy it myself the next day!<BR>~ Arwen, Queen of Gondor, who is lamenting the fact that she has to return the movie to Blockbuster
Old 11-13-2002, 03:43 PM   #37
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Eye

I also thought the Council of Elrond was very interesting. They added Gandalf speaking in the black tongue. Boromir was near the ring, started reaching for it, then you heard Elrond say 'Boromir!' I believe that was when Gandalf started quoting the lines that were written on the ring. I also thought it was cool the way the had Gandalf mention at one point that Gollum used to be called Smeagol. And the Trolls!!! After Weathertop, right before Sam says, 'Mr Frodo? He's going cold!' Sam leans over Frodo and says something about 'Mr. Bilbo's trolls' and you see them in the background. I liked that the had Otho and Lobelia too. <BR>Arwen, Queen of Gondor<BR> <BR>edit: do y'all see my picture? It's not showing up on my computer....<p>[ November 13, 2002: Message edited by: Arwen1858 ]
Old 11-13-2002, 05:24 PM   #38
Mintyztwin
Wight

Mintyztwin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ah . . . nope. No picture! Yay! It has more good stuff! MAYBE I can convince mom that we can buy it! (hope hope!) That was her MIAN problem. "It was all EEEEEEVil!!!" Hmm .. . but it's starting to sound GOOD! (She hasnt' read the books - which arent all evil.) Now if I can just convince Dad that the little girls (age 5 & 3) won't ever accidentally see it . . . <P>That reminds me. One of the time I saw FotR in the theatre, somebody had brought a 2 year old! I cannNOT imagine letting a little kid see that! He'd have nightmares for life!

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:2
Mintyztwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 05:43 PM   #39
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

I can see your picture, Arwen. It's of Arwen standing in a purple dress, right?
Old 11-13-2002, 07:02 PM   #40
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Mintyztwin: My little cousin is a very girly 6 year old. You know, Barbie, Disney Princesses, the whole kaboodle. Anyway, my aunt and uncle took her to see The Fellowship, and she LOVED it! You know how little kids are always having to go to the bathroom or something? Well, she sat on my uncle's lap the whole time without squirming! Yay! I have a cool little cousin. Oh, and she also loves Arwen. To no end. A few months ago she drew huge pictures of all the characters. They were great!<P>Also, my little boy cousins (5 & 10) watched it with me at their house while I was babysitting. They thought it was cool.<P>But a 2 year old!?!?! That's nuts!