The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-01-2005, 08:13 AM   #1
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Do we realize how crazy we are?

We all here love LotR, and Tolkien in general. But have you ever stopped and tried to think of what our little forum looks like from the outside?

It's a pretty interesting picture. I must say that a whole bunch of people talking about a book online doesn't seem like a normal thing to me. And then the fact that we are so into Tolkien's history and philosophy and such makes us seem all the more erratic. Especially how much time we spend on the forums everyday. (I was somewhat flabbergasted at how much time I spent online during the WW8 game )

And if you ask a real outsiders opinion, I'm sure they all think we are freaks. Well, good for us. At least we know what we like! I really enjoy those bizarre looks people give me when I tell them what the Barrowdowns is. It's a "Oh, so you're one of those people" look and then that body language that says they're not sure if they want to be seen around you. It makes me laugh!

But really, how do you think we look from the outside? Do you get any of those weird looks when you mention the Barrowdowns? Are you okay with the fact that you're a LotR-lovin' freak?
Old 09-01-2005, 08:52 AM   #2
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
When my parents found out that I joined they gave me a look taht plainly said "you are a wierdo". But I really dont care. The fact that we are LotR and Tolkien fans is great. I haven't really told anyone else that I'm on here because they really don't need to know. The only friend I have who is as into LotR and Tolkien is are own Wilwa. And I'm really gald that I have someone to talk to about all this. If I were to tell anyone about this site, I picture them saying "Oh, that's cool." then look at me and give me a "you're a freak get away from me I don't want to be your friend" kind of look. I find how much time I spend on her ridiculously hilarious, yet I can't help it. When we were all forbidden by that hatted "error 403" I was having withdrawl. I needed to come back on. And thus (here I go stating the obvious again[kind of like Captain Obvious again]) I love being a LotR-loving freak! I
Old 09-01-2005, 08:56 AM   #3
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Freaks? Us? I don't think that we are the freaks. I think everyone else in the world who doesn't like Tolkien are the freaks.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:04 AM   #4
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

Generally, the way I act on this forum is the way I act in "real life," at least when I am in a good mood in RL (though it wasn't originally that way, I was rather quiet in RL to begin with. I think posting here has brought out my more outgoing, creative, and generally crazier side) And most people who know me in RL usually appreciate that aspect of me, and consider me somewhat "unique," but in a good way.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:09 AM   #5
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

On this site, you guys get to see the part of me that only my good friends (i.e Wilwa) and my girlfriend get to see. Normally, I'm not this crazy or outgoing, unless I'm around good friends, right Wilwa? So this site brings out the part of me that I would like to come out more often. As for us being freaks, ya right! As Wilwa put it:

Quote:
Freaks? Us? I don't think that we are the freaks. I think everyone else in the world who doesn't like Tolkien are the freaks.
So true, can't argue with that.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:31 AM   #6
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
My wife and close friends are glad that I have an outlet other than their ears for all of my thoughts regarding Tolkien. And as she married me, Ms. alatar must be okay with my version of reality (note to those of you who are dating: if you still have to be someone else when you've been dating someone for a time, that might tell you something and you might want to rethink that relationship.).

And considering all of the other things, vices, etc in which I could be involved...and you'll never catch me sitting inside on the couch watching (American) football on TV on a sunny autumn day while the kids played outside - how nuts is that?

And what else would I do while I was at work?

Last edited by alatar; 09-01-2005 at 08:24 PM.
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:06 AM   #7
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ah yes My mom pretends to be interested but really thinks I'm crazy especially when I talk about the Balrog wing debate....

My friend Juan says Im obsessed luckily myu friend who also likes LOTR finds it completely normal yay
Quote:
wilwarin538 Freaks? Us? I don't think that we are the freaks. I think everyone else in the world who doesn't like Tolkien are the freaks.
I agree
Old 09-04-2005, 07:52 PM   #8
tallbarrow

We are crazy, so what.

I don't care what other people say. Why would any of us spend so much time or any time on this site? Yes, I'm here, so I can't say a whole lot, but it is kinda crazy on how much time is spent on this site by people. But I don't care, I like it and that's all that matters!
Old 09-05-2005, 12:57 AM   #9
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
I realize how crazy I am because of the very few people in my life who have seen the movies and even fewer who have read the book (LOTR only) give me weird looks when I try to delve deep with them. So I very much appreciate here.
I know exactly what you mean, Holby. I can recall quite a number of times when I'm sitting inside the classroom while waiting for my prof, and to make productive use of the time I try to compose my CbC posts. Someone is bound to ask me, "What are you doing? Do we have a homework?" and when they find out what I'm doing, they'll say something along the lines of 'addict'. Not that I'm insulted. But it's another thing when someone asked me to analyze The Catcher in the Rye for his English class when he found out I analyze LotR!
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 01:43 PM   #10
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

School starts tomorow for me and I'm probably going to be sitting in clas thinking "Who accused me today of being a werecreature?" But I love this site and I'm glad that I met tons of other Tolkien/LotR fans.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:43 PM   #11
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I discovered today that this website is going to be invaluable to me in my Freshmen Comp class. Our first assignment was to read pages 3-30something and write a narrative in the style of Mark Twain. In any case, as I started reading, I realized that what I was "learning" was already things I'd learned here!

The first page discusses subject matter and audience of your writing. I've already learned about this by posting both in Mirth (often) and Books (less often, recently). In Mirth, things are far more loose and the writing is often directed to a younger (or at least goofier ) audience. We learn to play with words, to write with tone, to even use well-placed one liners. In Books, we've learned to write in a way that can prove davem wrong. Which brought me to page four of the reading: research.

How many of us have learned the best ways to cite quotations or ideas? Who here learned that if you are quoting your own book, you should supply not just the title, but the page number, and most importantly, the edition? How many of us have reread what inspired us, just to make sure we've got our facts right? Checked up on ourselves with alternate sources?

How many of us have written posts that are either compelling, clever, or at least organized... occasionally for the sole purpose of trying to impress some of the oldsters? I know that I have, and I know that learning how to write a good post in Books is already helping me with writing a good paper in Comp.

And how many of us have learned that the edit button is our best friend?

So though we may be crazy to some... they are the ones that are going to miserably fail their writing, literature, analyzation, public speaking, and philosophy classes.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:09 PM   #12
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
How many of us have written posts that are either compelling, clever, or at least organized... occasionally for the sole purpose of trying to impress some of the oldsters? I know that I have, and I know that learning how to write a good post in Books is already helping me with writing a good paper in Comp.
True that.

I hadn't really considered the educational value of being on the Barrowdowns until Estelyn brought it up, and now Fea's post just adds to how grateful I am. Personally, looking back at the couple of years I've been on this forum, I can see that I have not only improved my literary skills, but also my people skills. I don't even know how much I used to just throw out random posts with no regard to how people would take them. Now I am much more concerned with 'Does this sound angry?' or 'Will this make people want to read it all?' or even 'How can I make this argument not sound purely spiteful?'

Most of us seem comfortable with the fact that others consider us crazy. Now has that affected us at all? I personally would like to think that I am a more considerate person due to what I mentioned above. Going along with that is tolerating other people's 'crazy' obsessions and not looking at them like freaks(Even though they look at us that way ).

Still, having said all that, I think that the Barrowdowns is much more worth the time(educational value) than a lot of other forums out there!

(500 posts! Whoo-Hoo! *opens champange and sprays it everywhere*)

Last edited by Gurthang; 09-05-2005 at 08:23 PM.
Gurthang is offline   Reply With Quote